Adizero Tour golf shoes banned in the UK

Hi all. Not sure if anyone else has raised this topic yet or not but it appears that the 2013 Adizero Tour shoes (Adidas premium footwear line) have been banned at several UK courses. We've had a very wet winter in the UK and many courses are still under water. As a result, lots of greens are fairly soft and are taking big spike marks/prints. The Adizero Tours leave monstrous spike marks on the greens and as a result have been banned at my home course and several others here in the UK.

Apparently Adidas are now aware of the issue and have said that they will tkae te feedback on board. Anyone with Adizero's spoken with Adidas? Thankfully I didn't get Adizero's for Christmas but if I did I'd probably be pretty p!$$ed off right now.

just wondering if there's anything like this going on elsewhere?

There's a very brief note on here RE the shoes

http://www.oxfordgolfclub.net/index.php?page=green-fees

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see my old Club, Southfield getting a plug on GolfWrx!! Even if it's a negative one. Lol. Seriously though, you're right, it's been the wet weather that's caused it, and Oxford Golf Club has old non USGA Greens, designed by Harry Colt, and some of them are in shady areas of the Golf Course which have difficulty in drying out at the best of times. Even in Summer, some of the Greens there, can be softer and slower than some others on the Course, which makes putting interesting sometimes!! Interesting to hear that Adidas have taken on board these issues though.

Haha, it certainly wasn't intended as a plug, definitley not a negative one. I think it's a farily responsible course of action given the soft conditions at present.
Nice to see someone else that plays/played at Southfield, hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

[quote name='chriswrightstuff' timestamp='1393260065' post='8734660']
Haha, it certainly wasn't intended as a plug, definitley not a negative one. I think it's a farily responsible course of action given the soft conditions at present.
Nice to see someone else that plays/played at Southfield, hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.
[/quote]

Yeah I grew up on it! Well not literally obviously, I mean my parents did have a home for us!!! Haha. But it's where I learnt my Golf, and go back there from time to time to see Tony the Head Pro, who's been there since Harry Colts' days I think!! And I'm a good friend of Joe Peperell in the Pro Shop. Good to see his brother Eddie doing pretty well on the European Tour. Eddie is a good lad.

But I always enjoy the old design of the Course. But not surprised about some of the soft Greens there.

They make really deep indentations due to the length of the spikes, I believe it's not just the cleats or spikes, but also the very profound sole pattern that is causing problems. I recently played with a guy wearing them and it was plain to see that they really do leave big marks.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

My late gran bought me a pair of black adizero shoes just before she died. She didn't have much money but bought these for me. Now my home course has banned them they are just sitting in my garage. Have emailed Adidas to find out what there stance on it is and they haven't bothered to reply. I will never buy another Adidas/taylormade product ever again. Thanks for the memory adidas

Callaway great big bertha driver
Callaway xr hybrid
Callaway xr irons 4/AW
Callaway mack daddy 3 wedge 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Various putters
Snell MTB

my buddy is a greens keeper at a course outside Boston, MA. They tried to ban the shoes as he and the other green keepers hate the shoes and noted something about those specific shoes that tear up the course. They don't have complains about other models of shoes and he is Adidas shoe wearer himself. He compared the marks they leave to old metal spikes. The members wouldn't accept the ban because the pro shop was selling the shoes and therefor had to allow players to use them.

My guess is that its a very stiff sole with very aggressive tread pattern, probably put a lot of energy into the spike and causes them dig up the group

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

It's Adidas fault as they should of tested the shoes on winter Uk greens rather than summer green in the US.nothing to do with the extreme wet weather the Uk just had mine were leaving massive marks on the green before the bad weather and I have played a variety of different courses from links courses to the Belfry. The new adizero one advert says more green keeper friendly so is this Adidas admitting there is a problem with the old pair. And of course I now have to buy a new pair of shoes. Which after 3 months isn't right

Callaway great big bertha driver
Callaway xr hybrid
Callaway xr irons 4/AW
Callaway mack daddy 3 wedge 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Various putters
Snell MTB

I think it's a bit short sighted of Adidas not to forecast any problem but they are obviously great shoes that a lot of people wear. I suppose you'll get some wear out of them once we dry up a little over here but I can see why you're frustrated. Hopefully the sun and your Adizero shoes will be making regular appearences in the UK very soon.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

[quote name='Walkerdb7' timestamp='1393270979' post='8735948']
my buddy is a greens keeper at a course outside Boston, MA. They tried to ban the shoes as he and the other green keepers hate the shoes and noted something about those specific shoes that tear up the course. They don't have complains about other models of shoes and he is Adidas shoe wearer himself. He compared the marks they leave to old metal spikes. The members wouldn't accept the ban because the pro shop was selling the shoes and therefor had to allow players to use them.

My guess is that its a very stiff sole with very aggressive tread pattern, probably put a lot of energy into the spike and causes them dig up the group
[/quote]

I think it's more that the full players weight is distributed through the spikes due to the sole design which emphasizes the spikes dig. Most shoes have the weight distributed through the whole sole of the shoe since the entire sole makes contact.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='TJ_Hooker' timestamp='1404856620' post='9662063']
I was just about to make a thread about these shoes, I've played 4 rounds with the adizeros and the marks i'm leaving on the greens are pretty bad.

Anyone know of spikes i could try that wouldn't be as damaging to greens?
[/quote]

From what I understand that won't help. It's how the spike pods are configured and raised that puts lots of pressure on the individual pods rather than distributing it across the sole that's causing the problem. You could take the spikes out completely and likely have the same problem.

Seems like a not very well thought out design. Spikes are soft, the soles aren't. The old metal spikes are probably friendlier on greens.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1404859581' post='9662343']
[quote name='TJ_Hooker' timestamp='1404856620' post='9662063']
I was just about to make a thread about these shoes, I've played 4 rounds with the adizeros and the marks i'm leaving on the greens are pretty bad.

Anyone know of spikes i could try that wouldn't be as damaging to greens?
[/quote]

From what I understand that won't help. It's how the spike pods are configured and raised that puts lots of pressure on the individual pods rather than distributing it across the sole that's causing the problem. You could take the spikes out completely and likely have the same problem.

Seems like a not very well thought out design. Spikes are soft, the soles aren't. The old metal spikes are probably friendlier on greens.
[/quote]

Wow no wonder i got them for so cheap, thought it was kinda too good to be true.

I just finished a tournament here in So. Cal.
The greens were so marked up - almost unputtable.
One of the guys in my group mentioned that the marks were from Adidas Adizero golf shoes.
He used to wear them - so I suspect he knows.
It was like putting a ping pong ball on a cobble stone street.
Almost comical ... except our putting was turning into 3 putts.
Not good for our scores ... obviously.
So what can be done ?
Is it possible to actually ban these shoes/cleats ?
I am going to take pictures next time I see this ... I wish I had thought to do it yesterday.
Maybe someone can post some pictures of the damage these spikes make.

[quote name='taporsnap17' timestamp='1404877123' post='9664137']
Just want to clarify, is it the latest model (the primarily blue ones in ads) or last years' (the white and yellows) or both?

I play in last year's models and do notice marks on greens but always wrote it off to the ground being very soft (which they often are where I play)
[/quote]

It was last years White/Yellow pair that are the culprits.

[quote name='A_plan' timestamp='1405511019' post='9710939']
[quote name='taporsnap17' timestamp='1404877123' post='9664137']
Just want to clarify, is it the latest model (the primarily blue ones in ads) or last years' (the white and yellows) or both?

I play in last year's models and do notice marks on greens but always wrote it off to the ground being very soft (which they often are where I play)
[/quote]

It was last years White/Yellow pair that are the culprits.
[/quote]

Bugger

I dont know if it has been mentioned but can't you just change the spikes?

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

I would think that a spike like this would leave fewer marks as the pressure points on the actual spike are wider.

pDSP1-9531425_alternate1_p275w.jpg

In conversation with adidas (Australia / NZ) at the moment. Whilst they deny there is a design problem with these shoes, they have offered to supply another shoe from the adidas collection.

I would think that a spike like this

Geoff, any reason they offered to do this? I just ordered a pair of the grey/yellow and if this really is the case, I would happily exchange them for something of similar value so I am not tearing up greens.

Also, has anyone given thought to roughing up the spikes a bit aka dulling them down before play?

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

This isn't an issue based on the color of the shoes. It can be with any of the Adizero Tours. I have lost one spike once from two pairs of mine-- and I have a bunch more than two pairs. Seems that later production runs may be better, but there's also probably no good way to tell if your production run was early or late.

Anyway, I love these shoes, and find that they leave the same spike marks that everyone else's spiked shoes leave, and that's when the greens are left longer and are rolled and wet.

Yeah I don't wear mine through the winter either, really terrible design fault and courses are completely right to ban them, I think the issue is not with the spikes themselves but how they are housed in the sole in a sort of protruding pod that puts a lot more pressure through the spike rather than the shoe as a whole. You can definitely tell Adizero footprints very very easily.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='thatboygaule' timestamp='1405605127' post='9719849']
I dont know if it has been mentioned but can't you just change the spikes?
[/quote]

I'm guessing you didn't read any of the previous responses did you?

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Happened locally as well, last year with the AD0's first came out... several private clubs banned them. Golf shops said they had no complaints, didn't believe me, until people started coming in saying course xxx won't let me wear these, I want my money back lol...

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2