67ViP WITB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Architect' timestamp='1422194367' post='10814175']
The Apex Pros are gorgeous irons, and it is evident here you have the ball striking for them. Go get 'em!
[/quote]
Thanks...they were quite impressive. I was surprised how easy the 3 iron was to hit...I have to really focus to hit mine now, a touch different swing than the rest. I really want to see if either the cobra or taylormade is a bigger clubface that will offer a bit more forgiveness, but play like a blade.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

• 1 month later...

Demo'd the Cobra Fly Z+ Forged irons a week or so ago...the only new wave iron I've seen where the undercut cavity is filled in, in this case with vibration absorption material. Hit it with kbs tour 105 and liked it, but ordered it with kbs tour v shafts in 3-gw, 2 degrees flat and the cobra multi-compound black/white grips. Can't wait for them to get here.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='johnnylongballz72' timestamp='1426443922' post='11147719']
Love the persimmons. I have a set of the PING eye 2 woods 1-3-5-7 that I need to get refinished. Where di you have yours done at?
[/quote]

The ones in my avatar are not mine, but I do have those same clubs plus 20 something others in a collection in my living room. There's a guy on this board that has the handle of persimmon pal or something like that...either on here or ebay. He knew how to strip down/repair/refinish the clubs using old school techniques. If you can locate/contaft him, I'd highly recommend him.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't got the new Cobra's yet...hopefull in the next week or so. Had two of the worst experiences ever in a golf shop in the past week. Went to Peutz Golf Shop in Tacoma to look for the new Taylormade minidriver and the all the sales guy wanted to do was argue that my info on the tp minidriver was incorrect...it isn't 2 degrees flatter or the face 1 degree open, yet there it was on the website after I showed him. Never mind attempting to give me his resume' in support of his ill informed data. I've been playing for 37 years, I do my homework before I go shopping...whether it's a car, gun, golf club, etc. I was a salesman for 16 years besides my current 21 year gig for Uncle Sam...I hate salesman who dont know their own damn product. A lot think the product is irrelevant...they're selling you a relationship with THEM. That might be fine in a service industry, but what if the product is inferior and the salesman is an a******...now what?

Went to Pro Golf Discount in Tacoma yesterday to get fitted for a driver. Spent over an hour in there on and off a launch monitor with multiple lofts, shafts, flexes. Had to do most of it myself, I asked for a high launching shaft and got handed a low launch instead, one I wasn't familiar with but quickly figured out was whacked. I asked for the Aldila tour blue in a Titlest 915d3 10.5, gave me an Aldila Rogue...wow. He grabbed a Mitsubishi blue label as a backup but told me it launched lower than the Rogue...he even thought that was the Adila Tour Blue. And I thought I was blind...

I got decent results with a TM aeroburner in 12* /r flex matrix rul. Really wanted to hit the matrix white tie but they didnt have a single tp driver or fairway wood in stock. I'm guessing but I think if I custom order a 10.5 aeroburner tp with a white tie 5×3 firm flex cut down to 44.5 I'll be in the ball park. I also stumbled on the Adams Tight Lies Ti-fairway three wood and hit it with the 55 gram bassara eagle r flex...that was nice! Frustrating day to say the least.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to Pro Golf Discount in Tacoma on Saturday, spent another 45 mins hitting the TM Aeroburner 12* and Adams Tight Lies Ti-fwy 15*...walked out with both. Headed over to The Home Course in Dupont, Wa and proceeded to light it up, finished with a 77 that could have been a few strokes lower. The Adams Tight Lies Ti-fwy is a beast off the tee, hit several drives over 250 yards. Need a few more reps to get the Aeroburner dialed in, launch monitor numbers were very good...just need to workout optimum set up for consistent ball flight. Supposed to have the Cobras in about a week...can't wait.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Cobra's in the bag now, took some getting used to...but got them in beast mode today! It's neat to have nine irons in the bag again...haven't carried that many in quite a while. The 3 iron is a monster off the tee and the 50* gw hits the green like a brick. Can't wait to tee up Chambers Bay again!

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Got the Cobra's in the bag now, took some getting used to...but got them in beast mode today! It's neat to have nine irons in the bag again...haven't carried that many in quite a while. The 3 iron is a monster off the tee and the 50* gw hits the green like a brick. Can't wait to tee up Chambers Bay again!

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Got the bag trimmed down to 14 clubs and seemingly dialed in for the season, the fact that at 52 years young I'm playing from the tips instead of the blues (67-6800 yards) gives me a fair amount of confidence I got it going on...for now anyways. The most satisfying thing is that my irons are 20-50* in loft, spaced thru nine clubs...which is the same set up as my beloved MacGregor ViP Tour 2-pw I played for ten years. Throughout the spring I've been scoring in the very low 80s & high 70s...but knowing as the weather continues to warm the ball will go farther and the scores lower, it makes me feel like I'm a sumbitch again.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

Swapped out the original Aeroburner for the new Black Aeroburner with the fujikura57 shaft (stock for the R15), seems to have a much better consistency for my swing. Also added two of the new Cally PM Grind wedges in 56/60...can't wait to try those around the green! Went back to the TM TP ball too, seems to be a better fit to the irons & driver. Golf season is in full swing in the Pacific Northwest!

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 4 weeks later...

After a few rounds and a decent amount of practice I have discovered that the distance gap from my 50* gap wedge to my 56/60 wedges is out of kilter. I hit the Cobra Fly Z forged 50* 125 yards, the Cally PM Grind 56/60* about 90 yards and 75 yards respectively. So to even it out a bit I bent the 56 to 54* which seems to actually work better and also softened the bounce in the process...13* seemed a bit much for me. I noticed immediately that chipping around the greens the 56 was much better at 54. Also added the Adams Pro 20 in place of my 3 iron, and it seems to be right between my 3 wood and 4 iron...blind luck on that I guess. I hope I am done with club hopping for a while...getting to be like going to the dentist.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 5 weeks later...

Well, so much for done with club shopping. After almost 2 months of playing & practice I decided the Cally PM grind wedges are not for me...not enough difference between the 56/60 distance wise and chips/pitches are inconsistent. So I found a new Cally Mac Daddy Two 58/10U in slate and dropped back down to 3 wedges and put my 3 iron back in the bag. I hit the 58 about 90 yards and all the shots I was messing up with the PM grind are a cinch with this one. Having the 3 iron back takes some of the pressure off trying to nuke a 4 iron or finesse a hybrid, very nice distance gaps from 3 wood down to gw, a stupid easy wedge to hit with the Cally MD2 58, and still 14 clubs in the bag.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 months later...

Two new clubs arriving today...just waiting on the delivery truck. Taylormade Black Aeroburner in 10.5 loft with the same fujikura 57 I have in the 12, plus the new Wilson 8802 putter. The driver should give me a few more yards off the tee, especially with the new Taylormade TPx ball coming out this week. The putter will definitely help on courses with fast greens, I've always rolled the ball better with a blade when conditions get stupid fast.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1446835117' post='12562090']
Two new clubs arriving today...just waiting on the delivery truck. Taylormade Black Aeroburner in 10.5 loft with the same fujikura 57 I have in the 12, plus the new Wilson 8802 putter. The driver should give me a few more yards off the tee, especially with the new Taylormade TPx ball coming out this week. The putter will definitely help on courses with fast greens, I've always rolled the ball better with a blade when conditions get stupid fast.
[/quote]

Played six rounds with the TM Black Aeroburner in 10.5 and combined with the new 2016 TPx ball I have picked some yardage while maintaining a very good trajectory. The new 8802 really rolls the ball on a good line, kind of surprising how well it tracks. Just ordered a new Cobra Staff Bag yesterday too, finally found one I liked and got a hellaciously good price on it...especially since it was just released.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='wonderbread197' timestamp='1449204206' post='12678586']
Greatest set of irons I've ever played. Had two sets when they first came out but man yours are gorgeous. Awesome bag!!!
[/quote]

Thanks. These are my sticks now...a blind man can hit them.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Eat your heart out Ricky Fowler, pinstripe Cobra Staff Bag.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

That bag is SHARP now you need to get the suit out of the closet and the sunglasses to go with it ! Also like your screen name I mean look at my signature why would I not right?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 4 weeks later...

Part of my collection my sticks have allowed me to acquire...

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 months later...

Just swapped out the 3 iron and Adams Pro 20 for Exotics EX9 17*/19* with UST Mamiya Recoils...nice numbers on the launch monitor yesterday. Should make for seamless transition...certainly easier to hit. 215-230 with the 17, 205-220 with the 19. Hit my 4 iron about 185-195 so probably as close a spread as I can get. Heading to the range for practice, I'm off to Bandon for four days on Tues... :golfer: :idhitit:

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 months later...

Havent been very happy with my Adams three wood of late...just not giving me any love at all. Demo'd several others and wasn't really enthused with them either. I liked the new Taylormade M2 head, just hated the stock fuji shaft...so took a big chance and ordered one with a Matrix White Tie 70x4, R flex/half inch short. Wow....what a big dawg! Mine is 42.75" long, swingweight must be D5 or so...head heavy for sure. Huge off the tee...almost as long as my driver. I'm learning to swat it off the deck...has a bit of shaft lean I need to get used to, but potential is there for a distance gain as well. May have to go get the driver now too. If I do it'll have a Matrix White Tie as well, just need to figure out which weight.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped my Cally MacDaddy Two for a new Vokey SM6. The new 5808M grind is so easy to hit...although not as far as the Cally 5810U.

Higher trajectory and obviously better spin & check on the greens. I especially like how Vokey has made the new wedge with a heavier swing

weight, definitely gives more feel. Thinking about fetching a Taylormade Minidriver TP in 12* with a Matrix White Tie 70x4 R as a spare/alternate

driver.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped my Cally MacDaddy Two for a new Vokey SM6. The new 5808M grind is so easy to hit...although not as far as the Cally 5810U.

Higher trajectory and obviously better spin & check on the greens. I especially like how Vokey has made the new wedge with a heavier swing

weight, definitely gives more feel. Thinking about fetching a Taylormade Minidriver TP in 12* with a Matrix White Tie 70x4 R as a spare/alternate

driver.

Added another Vokey SM6 (5408M) and the TP mini driver...that thing is as long off the tee as my regular driver. Hit it on every par 4/5 today and didn't miss a shot, quite a surprise actually...I thought I was having a 90's flashback to a Titleist 975. The best thing is the harder you swing the better it feels and performs...it doesn't want to play patty cake.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

Scored a tour version Taylormade Aeroburner TP head with 11.4* loft / 3* open face angle (has T stamp), and put it together with Aldila Tour Red 75 and Golfpride MCC plus 4 grip.

Took it out on the range/course today for the first time and picked up about 20 yards off the tee...Aldila Tour Red 75 seems to be very close to the specs for Matrix White Tie 70x4,

and I was able to get it for $200 with a coupon from Golfsmith instead of the $320 the White Tie was going to cost. Hit it on every par 4/5 on the course and there were noticeable distance gains

on practically every hole...especially into the wind. Very happy this particular roll of the dice paid off; I like the Minidriver a lot...incredibly straight and good distance, but at 53 I need every yard

I can muster and this new club delivers significantly more. My home course is difficult to make up shots on...none of the par 5's are reachable, but this club might bring at least one in range.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Chambers Bay on a quiet September evening...

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

Cracked my Mini Driver last week; that's actually funny since I'm an old fart now...I guess. Fortunately Taylormade replaced it with a new one, just haven't hit it yet...and I got the impression I'm s*** out of luck if I break another one as

they originally offered to send me an M2 and I told them I already got one, thank you...I want another Mini TP. I also just got another Vokey SM6, this one a 5812 K Grind...my course has bunkers with a lot of sand, and it feels even heavier than the 5808M Grind I had. Got some great golf coming up at Streamsong, Sahalee, & TPC Snoqualmie.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

My new headcovers...hats for bats.