There a Low/Mid Ball FURTHER Than the Premium Balls???

OnFire

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slower swing speeds get added benefits from a rock flite type ball, but as for a softer and long ball, maybe the E5(+), Gamer, NXT Tour/Extreme.

There was an article in Golf Magazine about this, NIke Balls were pretty short, but I think that Pro Vs were one of the longest. If you can find this article your question will be answered.

My swing speed is 100. ;)

I used to think I was a bomber, but It's just not cutting it anymore. I know I need to get fitted for some lumber, but I have what I have. I play premium, mid-grade balls...whatever. I just want distance.

Come'on, someone here must know that there is a cheap ball that is longer than premium (i.e. $40 a dozen) balls.

for the most part, there aren't any midrange balls that are longer than tour balls. there *are* midrange balls that are just as long as tour balls for most people. Callaway HX-Hot, HX-Hot Bite and HX-Pearl, Srixon Trispeed, Titleist NXT Tour and GranZ, TaylorMade Burner TP and Maxfli Tour Fire are plenty long.

also, you can find slightly older tour balls at midrange prices or better if you look around. for example, tgw.com is blowing out the 2007 TaylorMade TP Red and Black for $25/dozen. the TP Black in particular is one of the longest balls, period. your local Golfsmith might have 07 TP Reds and Blacks for $15/dozen. your local Target or WalMart prolly has Precept U-Tri-Tours for less than $24/dozen (the U-Tri-Tour is the direct predecessor to the Bridgestone B330/B330-S; its playing characteristics are pretty much right in between the B330 and B330-S). RockBottomGolf has the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance for $12.99/dozen if you buy 3 dozen--outstanding ball at that price. GolfGalaxy has the Top Flite Strata Tour-TL for $12.99/dozen.

i think your best bet for distance at a midrange price is the 07 TaylorMade TP Black--it's long, period. your best bet for distance and performance at a super cheap price is the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance is outstanding for $12.99/dozen; it works very well with moderate swing speeds. the Titleist GranZ is also an extremely long ball, and your local Golfsmith might have them for $18/dozen; they can also be purchased from GPPGolf.com for $17/dozen.

if you want to go cheap two-piece, the Noodle+ is pretty damn long.

for the most part, there aren't any midrange balls that are longer than tour balls. there *are* midrange balls that are just as long as tour balls for most people. Callaway HX-Hot, HX-Hot Bite and HX-Pearl, Srixon Trispeed, Titleist NXT Tour and GranZ, TaylorMade Burner TP and Maxfli Tour Fire are plenty long.

also, you can find slightly older tour balls at midrange prices or better if you look around. for example, tgw.com is blowing out the 2007 TaylorMade TP Red and Black for $25/dozen. the TP Black in particular is one of the longest balls, period. your local Golfsmith might have 07 TP Reds and Blacks for $15/dozen. your local Target or WalMart prolly has Precept U-Tri-Tours for less than $24/dozen (the U-Tri-Tour is the direct predecessor to the Bridgestone B330/B330-S; its playing characteristics are pretty much right in between the B330 and B330-S). RockBottomGolf has the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance for $12.99/dozen if you buy 3 dozen--outstanding ball at that price. GolfGalaxy has the Top Flite Strata Tour-TL for $12.99/dozen.

i think your best bet for distance at a midrange price is the 07 TaylorMade TP Black--it's long, period. your best bet for distance and performance at a super cheap price is the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance is outstanding for $12.99/dozen; it works very well with moderate swing speeds. the Titleist GranZ is also an extremely long ball, and your local Golfsmith might have them for $18/dozen; they can also be purchased from GPPGolf.com for $17/dozen.

if you want to go cheap two-piece, the Noodle+ is pretty damn long.

Thanks for the in-depth response. There is some good info there. I remember when the A-10 came out first, I loved that ball; it seemed really long and had incredible feel, but that was a while ago, and my game has changed quite a bit. It was considered a premium ball when it came out. It was not cheap, so maybe that's why.

Just curious, is a swing speed of 100 a "moderate" swingspeed? The pros are like 120 range right...but a lot of them look like twigs.

Just curious, is a swing speed of 100 a "moderate" swingspeed? The pros are like 120 range right...but a lot of them look like twigs.

100 mph is on the very top end of what is generally considered moderate. 100 mph is very strong for a regular golfer, but you'd be a woefully short hitter on the Tour. even Fred Funk has an SS of around 105+ mph, and he's considered a very short hitter on the Tour. the average Tour player has a driver SS of 110-115 mph, and the big hitters are 120+. long drive competitors take SS to yet another level.

being able to achieve a high swingspeed isn't about being big--it's about being able to generate a lot of torque. and guys built like "twigs" can generate a lot of torque with the proper technique. hell, Ian Woosnam hits the ball a long way, and while he's not a twig, he's 5-foot nothing.

I have tried various balls over the last few months.

For me: the Callaway Big Bertha, NXT Extreme are the longest balls.(I have yet to try Bridgestone E6+)

I have tried virtually all the tour balls(ix, TP red LDP etc) and find I get too much spin with the driver with all tour balls. The Driver spin on the NXTs and Berthas is much less than any tour ball I've tried. The same applies to irons aswell. The reduced spin rate also helps playing into the wind.

I use Ping G2 irons which have a high trajectory and I don't have any problem stopping the ball with full shots), even on quick greens with the NXTs and Berthas.

I have found with Tour balls when chipping/pitching it is very difficult to judge/control the spin: sometimes the ball will stop straight away, other times it just releases. I prefer to play with a ball that will release.

Tour balls certainly spin more, but if I short side myself on the course I will just try to hit a higher flighted flop shot so that the ball comes down almost vertically as opposed to relying on the spin of the ball. I have also found if you play on rock hard, fast greens that you will struggle to check the ball whatever ball you are using.

100 mph is on the very top end of what is generally considered moderate. 100 mph is very strong for a regular golfer, but you'd be a woefully short hitter on the Tour. even Fred Funk has an SS of around 105+ mph, and he's considered a very short hitter on the Tour. the average Tour player has a driver SS of 110-115 mph, and the big hitters are 120+. long drive competitors take SS to yet another level.

being able to achieve a high swingspeed isn't about being big--it's about being able to generate a lot of torque. and guys built like "twigs" can generate a lot of torque with the proper technique. hell, Ian Woosnam hits the ball a long way, and while he's not a twig, he's 5-foot nothing.

I heard that Charles Howell...Charles Howell!, has a swing speed of 120 something. ;) It just boggles my mind, and quite frankly, pisses me off. I played hockey for 15 years and had a very hard shot, and I am stocky and toned, yet I can't hit it as far as a geek (no offense) like CH3???

I have tried various balls over the last few months.

For me: the Callaway Big Bertha, NXT Extreme are the longest balls.(I have yet to try Bridgestone E6+)

I have tried virtually all the tour balls(ix, TP red LDP etc) and find I get too much spin with the driver with all tour balls. The Driver spin on the NXTs and Berthas is much less than any tour ball I've tried. The same applies to irons aswell. The reduced spin rate also helps playing into the wind.

I use Ping G2 irons which have a high trajectory and I don't have any problem stopping the ball with full shots), even on quick greens with the NXTs and Berthas.

I have found with Tour balls when chipping/pitching it is very difficult to judge/control the spin: sometimes the ball will stop straight away, other times it just releases. I prefer to play with a ball that will release.

Tour balls certainly spin more, but if I short side myself on the course I will just try to hit a higher flighted flop shot so that the ball comes down almost vertically as opposed to relying on the spin of the ball. I have also found if you play on rock hard, fast greens that you will struggle to check the ball whatever ball you are using.

Found this one today.

Never noticed the red paint fill before.

I think you have some good points. Sometimes I find it is better to play a "run" shot, or simply one that you know will release and stick to playing 10 yards short. I have played various NXT tour balls over the years and was never too dissapointed with the overall feel and distance of them. Noodle seems to be a bit hard.

Hey, do you guys remember all the hype surrounding the Precept "Lady" years ago when it first came out? I heard that ball was so long there were (pro) guys playing with it. Word is/was it was longer than the Pro-V1. Was this some sort of myth/lie?

I need to know if there are any cheaper balls that are just plain LONG. I want a ball that is actually longer than premium balls like Pro-V1's and Callaways and Nikes, etc.

Is there one out there?

According to Golf Mag or one of the mags test - Noodle + is the second longest ball. Cheap too. About $17 at Target.

The Top Flite D2 Distance would also be worth a look. $14.99 to 15.99 in most places.

I think both are in 15 ball packs.

Precept Laddie X is $19.99 for 2 dozen. I am not sure if they are as long but they are supposedly a great ball for the money.

I need to know if there are any cheaper balls that are just plain LONG. I want a ball that is actually longer than premium balls like Pro-V1's and Callaways and Nikes, etc.

Is there one out there?

According to Golf Mag or one of the mags test - Noodle + is the second longest ball. Cheap too. About $17 at Target.

The Top Flite D2 Distance would also be worth a look. $14.99 to 15.99 in most places.

I think both are in 15 ball packs.

Precept Laddie X is $19.99 for 2 dozen. I am not sure if they are as long but they are supposedly a great ball for the money.

I played a Top Flite D2 feel a couple rounds and to tell you the truth, I liked that ball a lot, more than most other balls i have played recently.

I found the Callaway Warbird to be a club longer than any ball I have tried.

I have some of those I picked up from various places, so I will have to play one either tonight or tomorrow.

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard the Top Flite Freak is well, freakishly long.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

I heard that Charles Howell...Charles Howell!, has a swing speed of 120 something. It just boggles my mind, and quite frankly, pisses me off. I played hockey for 15 years and had a very hard shot, and I am stocky and toned, yet I can't hit it as far as a geek (no offense) like CH3???

heh. if you can learn to coil your upper body against your lower body, and execute proper weight shift like Charles Howell can, you too can hit it that far. alas, most of us can't do that, myself included. i top out at about 97-98 mph if i really lay into it. my range is 88-98, but that makes me longer than most of my friends. i'm only 5"5" and 150 though. then again, annika sorenstam and lorena ochoa, who aren't any bigger than i am (but definitely more athletic), would bomb it past the both of us ;) :partytime2:

Noodle Plus was one of the longest balls in that article for the average swing speed if not the longest. I tried several different balls from the article that were all mid spin, decent distance, and on the soft cover side. I have confirmed through playing that the Noodle plus is one of the longest. Feel around the greens is ok, certainly a lot better than the low priced hard cover balls, but not as nice as the 3 piece balls, of course. Although I tend to hit higher balls into the greens that drop and softly roll. I have never been a big spinner of the ball. I get the impression it is not a "cool" ball to play in terms of brand recognition but I have adopted it as my go to ball for this season. And at 15.99 the price is right, for sure. It is getting me another 10-15 yards on my drives which for me at a mid swing speed range, is very important. An entire club closer to the green. If I can get slightly inside the 150 yard marker on a typical par 4, it is a big advantage.

See link below for Golf Mag ball test results.....

http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html

So, according to that, the Noodle+ is THEE longest ball?

I believe that one of the TM Burner balls was one tenth of one yard longer, I think maybe the TP Black or something. But realize the data is based on certain swing speeds and launch conditions. I play the Noodle Plus not because it is THEE longest, or close to it, but because it is long and has some other characteristics I want as well. I don't care about a yard or two, but I do care about 10 or 15 yards. I will say that I am an average hitter with average swing speed but have been hitting drives past the majority of similar handicap players with the combination of the Burner Driver, a slight draw flight, and the noodle plus. I did not do this previous to making these equipment and ball changes. For me, this is a nice combination. Please understand for me a 260 or 270 yard drive is a very nice long drive. Your own mileage may vary. I think it is all about getting the ball, and clubs, that let you maximize what you've got for physical skills, whatever that may be.