Changed my putting grip, and it changed my stroke?

jh19 ·  
jh19jh19 Members  2055WRX Points: 111Posts: 2,055 Platinum Tees
Help me out here guys LOL

I have been a big follower and believer in Stan Utley's method. I have had some success as well, but it never felt comfortable. I play right handed but I am lefthanded, and with the Utlely method I discovered I address the ball with my shoulders way open.

I switched my Utley grip and reversed it, so I grip it the way a lefty would grip Utley's method. LOL Well, for some reason it squares my shoulders, but I take it straight back and straight through.

Does this make sense?
Posted:
Ping G400 8.5* BB7x
Titleist TS2 16.5* DI7x
Titleist U510 PX 6.0
Titleist 718 Combo PX LZ 6.5
Vokey TVD 53*
Ping Glide Eye2 60*
Byron Morgan 711 Custom

Comments

• ClemsonfanClemsonfan Members  79WRX Points: 61Handicap: 9.6Posts: 79 Fairways
    Who told you that your shoulders were way open? Whenever I have seen you putt, your mechanics look pretty solid - conventional or belly putter. But I am not an instructor.

When you putt left hand low, and I am using the universal you, I think you restrict the arc which makes it feel more straight back and through, and it is a far more linear stroke than a conventional method user that professed to be an arc putter. Pelz favors left hand low to combat wrist breakdown, and to take the right arm out of the power position which allows the left arm to lead or pull the stroke (Pelz Putting Bible, p. 252). In addition, I think the LHL method compels you to be more square since it reduces the machinations you can make when you dramatically reduce the effect of the right side.

Did you putt this way today? How did you do?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jh19jh19 Members  2055WRX Points: 111Posts: 2,055 Platinum Tees
    Jeff,

The Utley method my shoulders where waaay open, noticed it about 3 weeks ago.

I'm left handed, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but it seems more comfortable.

I putted like this the last few holes after I putted out, but didn't take to much stock in it, but I had Mike watch my stroke and it was smooth, and straight back.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 8.5* BB7x
    Titleist TS2 16.5* DI7x
    Titleist U510 PX 6.0
    Titleist 718 Combo PX LZ 6.5
    Vokey TVD 53*
    Ping Glide Eye2 60*
    Byron Morgan 711 Custom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.