Eye Dominance

BRaway1 ·  
BRaway1BRaway1 Members  153WRX Points: 0Posts: 153
Does it matter?
My putting has been holding me back for too long now...I'm starting to grab at straws...

I thought I read somewhere that depending on which eye was dominant, that determined what off-set your putter should have (ie flush, 1/2 shaft, full shaft).

Is there any truth to this statement or is completly up to feel?
Posted:

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13838WRX Points: 1,384Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,838 Titanium Tees
    I read this somewhere as well, FWIW I switched from a full offset putter, Anser 3 that I had been using for about 15 years, to a Scotty Bullseye with no offset several years ago, my short putting immediatly improved. I am also right eye dominate, my understanding is that if you are left eye dominate you want more offset and if you are right eye you want less offset. I have tried to go back to putters with more offset over the years but I start missing those pesky 3 and 4 footers. To me it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to lineing up to the target line, espceically when you are close enough to think you should make it. On long putts I see no real differnece, in fact on a really long putt offset might make it easier to make a long stroke.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BRaway1BRaway1 Members  153WRX Points: 0Posts: 153
    NE1 else has any input on this....ie what off-set do you have and which is your dominant eye?
    Posted:
  • chop180chop180 Members  368WRX Points: 60Posts: 368 Greens
    I agree with the other poster, for me, I am right handed, right eye dominant. I have never been able to putt well with anything offset by more than 1/2 i.e. plumbers necks, I would tend to pull shorter putts. Currently I use a heel shafted Odyssey #9 or a SC Del Mar 3, and have much better results.
    Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13838WRX Points: 1,384Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,838 Titanium Tees
    For me even a little offset really throws me off, my advice go to the local golf shop and hit putts with all the center shated or non offset putters you can find, I be you will start making more of the putts you think you should make.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Bobcat43Bobcat43 ClubWRX  1784WRX Points: 118Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees
    Interesting topic. I also am right eye dominant and use very little offset.

My vision in my left eye is very poor and it throws off my depth perception at times. Great for a golfer, right? Half shaft offset is all I can handle. But until now I haven't thought about it with regard to my eye issues.

Sorry I'm also right handed.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • toy4xtoy4x Members  96WRX Points: 0Posts: 96
    Right handed...Right eye dominant

1/2 offset.

I have trouble with full shaft offset. Noticed this 6 months ago when I switched to an old cheap putter w/ 1/2 offset and started puting better than my Redwood Anser. Now I have the Scotty Cameron S.Select 1.5 and have never putted better.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BRaway1BRaway1 Members  153WRX Points: 0Posts: 153
    ^ ^ ^ ^

that's the kind of info I'm looking for

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant...
    Posted:
  • bambi380bambi380 Members  61WRX Points: 0Posts: 61
    Right eye dominant due to a lazy left eye. I concur that less offset is the key to short putting. 1/2" and shafted more towards the center is working......
    Posted:
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members  3506WRX Points: 169Posts: 3,506 Titanium Tees
    chop180 wrote on Jun 11 2008, 11:24 PM:
    I agree with the other poster, for me, I am right handed, right eye dominant. I have never been able to putt well with anything offset by more than 1/2 i.e. plumbers necks, I would tend to pull shorter putts. Currently I use a heel shafted Odyssey #9 or a SC Del Mar 3, and have much better results.

That is EXACTLY like me (RH putter and right eye dominant) the XG9 or a look alike is the only putter that I have found, that will work for me and sets up nicely in my eyes. I didn't think much of it until this thread came along...hmmh.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 S300 with ProSoft inserts, Pure Wrap grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" (Presse IV tweaked) Putter with BGT Stability shaft

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • matt411matt411 Members  751WRX Points: 0Posts: 751
    right handed, left eye dominant. 4 index. full offset. i have never been able to putt with anything less than 1/2 offset even though i have tried many times.
    Posted:
  • jmittens24jmittens24 Members  376WRX Points: 0Posts: 376
    This is a really interesting topic. I'm right handed/right eye dominant and have only used full offset putters, and haven't ever been a consistently good putter. I'm going to pick up a newport 1.5 ss very soon, and we'll see what happens.
    Posted:
    Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
    Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
    Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
    Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
    Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
    Yes! Ann 34"

Advertisement
  • mdouetmdouet Members  70WRX Points: 0Posts: 70
    jmittens24 wrote on Jul 2 2008, 10:36 AM:
    This is a really interesting topic. I'm right handed/right eye dominant and have only used full offset putters, and haven't ever been a consistently good putter. I'm going to pick up a newport 1.5 ss very soon, and we'll see what happens.

This is an interesting topic to me because I am blind in my right eye. I never thought this effected my game until I heard someone mention "depth perception", could this be why I have trouble getting consistant solid contact with the golf ball (been practicing like a mad man for over 6 months and still can't hit consistant shots)?
    Posted:
  • MGWPMGWP Members  507WRX Points: 0Posts: 507
    we have been doing some research on thsi and we have found that if you are left eye dominant for example, when you are lining up your putts you should close your right eye...and only open it once the sey up is complete....do nt look at the hole agin and stroke the putt.

You can check this with a laser line up device and major eye dominance has a huge influence on how poorly you can line up.

Left eye dominant line up favouring the right..right eye the left..

huge huge difference with the one eye closed...

We have found no significant differences with offset...
    Posted:
  • danpassdanpass Members  324WRX Points: 0Posts: 324
    I'm RH and LE dominant.

My clubs are RH but I putt LH with an Anser 2 lol
    Posted:
  • Bobcat43Bobcat43 ClubWRX  1784WRX Points: 118Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees
    MGWP wrote on Jul 2 2008, 12:11 PM:
    we have been doing some research on thsi and we have found that if you are left eye dominant for example, when you are lining up your putts you should close your right eye...and only open it once the sey up is complete....do nt look at the hole agin and stroke the putt.

You can check this with a laser line up device and major eye dominance has a huge influence on how poorly you can line up.

Left eye dominant line up favouring the right..right eye the left..

huge huge difference with the one eye closed...

We have found no significant differences with offset...

So being right eye dominant I should close the left eye until set up is complete?
    Posted:
  • SteveL1SteveL1 St. Louis, MOMembers  1413WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4.8 Posts: 1,413 Platinum Tees
    This makes a lot of sense as I am right eye dominant, right handed and seem to have a problem lining up left with my 2 ball with a 1/2 offset on anything inside of 10'. To make things worse, I wear contacts that are mono vision which has my left lense set for reading and my right for distance. Almost feels like I should keep my left eye closed the entire time. I will definitly go test some putters with no offset and see if it makes much difference.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • whiteda6whiteda6 whiteda6 Members  334WRX Points: 78Posts: 334 Greens
    I think you guys have this all backwards. I did some research and found this posted on the Rife Putter website. It contradicts what you are saying and says that if you are RIGHT HANDED, LEFT EYE DOMINANT, you should use a putter with LESS offset.

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

Sometimes, it is personal preference as far as the look of the putter is set up. For alignment purposes and for proper set up, the idea is to get the person's eyes to be directly over the ball, particularly the player's dominant eye. For a right-handed player who has a dominant left eye, the eye closest to the hole, we would typically fit them with a straight shafted putter because that puts their dominant eye over the ball. For a person who is right eye dominant, the eye furthest from the hole, we would give them an offset shaft. Putting the ball under the dominant eye helps the player line up the putt with more accuracy . Offset putters typically help golfers keep their hands in front of the ball at impact and promotes less break down in the wrists.
    Posted:
  • danpassdanpass Members  324WRX Points: 0Posts: 324
    whiteda6 wrote on Jul 8 2008, 10:00 AM:
    I think you guys have this all backwards. I did some research and found this posted on the Rife Putter website. It contradicts what you are saying and says that if you are RIGHT HANDED, LEFT EYE DOMINANT, you should use a putter with LESS offset.

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

Sometimes, it is personal preference as far as the look of the putter is set up. For alignment purposes and for proper set up, the idea is to get the person's eyes to be directly over the ball, particularly the player's dominant eye. For a right-handed player who has a dominant left eye, the eye closest to the hole, we would typically fit them with a straight shafted putter because that puts their dominant eye over the ball. For a person who is right eye dominant, the eye furthest from the hole, we would give them an offset shaft. Putting the ball under the dominant eye helps the player line up the putt with more accuracy . Offset putters typically help golfers keep their hands in front of the ball at impact and promotes less break down in the wrists.

That would only apply if that particular person (like me) putts RIGHTY though.

I beat the system by putting lefty.
    Posted:
  • URStillAwayURStillAway 79 is ten better than 80 Members  973WRX Points: 121Posts: 973 Golden Tee
    whiteda6 wrote on Jul 8 2008, 09:00 AM:

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

And we thought we had found the answer to our poor putting lol
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway BB Fusion 10.5 Reg
    FW's: BB Fusion 5w
    Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
    Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
    Handicap 9
    Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others
  • depan55depan55 Members  9WRX Points: 0Posts: 9
    how do you know which is the dominant eye
    Posted:
  • whiteda6whiteda6 whiteda6 Members  334WRX Points: 78Posts: 334 Greens
    I found this on Wikipedia. It tells you how to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye)
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • clubmaker72clubmaker72 Members  49WRX Points: 0Posts: 49
    Simple eye dominance test. With both eyes open point with your finger to a distant small object, and then close one eye. If you are still pointing at the object you are using your dominant eye.
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6800WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,800 Titanium Tees
    Natural lefty

Righty as a golfer

Left eye dominant.

I aim better without offset and with one sight line (down the middle) according to an Edel fitting.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • djl0657djl0657 Members  353WRX Points: 0Posts: 353
    At my putter fitting a few weeks back, I was told that I am LEFT EYE DOMINANT (I am right handed). The pro told me that this is "a gift", as I can see the line of the putt to the hole better.

I have three putters at the moment, the most offset that I have is 3/4 shaft offset (the MACGREGOR DCT). My gamer MALTBY is a half offset and my other backup MALTBY is centershafted with NO offset.
    Posted:
  • joesgonegolfingjoesgonegolfing Older But Better Rockville, MDClubWRX  1424WRX Points: 124Posts: 1,424 Platinum Tees
    Right Handed, Left eye dominant requires as much offset as you can get and a forward ball position.

I had this all evaluated during a putting lesson, during which we tested eye dominance, ball position, hand position and off-set.

If your eye that is closer to the hole is your dominant eye, then you want off-set and a forward ball position.

Joe
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping 9 G410 Plus EvenFlow Black 6.0 75g 
    Wood: Ping 14.5 G410 EvenFlow Black 6.0 85g 
    Hybrid: Ping G410 19 EvenFlow Black 6.0 95g 
    Irons: Ping i210 4-PW DGS105
    Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 54/SS 60/TS DGS105
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Custom ZB Stealth Black Head and Shaft
    Bag: 2019 Ping Hoofer
  • 307golf307golf Powder River, Let'er Buck! Members  1408WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,408 Bunkers
    Joe;

Would the opposite be true as well. IOW, if a right handed golfer and right eye dominant, one should prefer a zero offset style? Also, is this common/accepted knowledge for fitting putters or is it just an opinion of a person here and there? Basically, is there a consensus among putter experts on eye dominance and putter style fitting?

Would center vs. heel shaft have anything to do with this?

Thanks,

307golf

I think this topic is great, and far more productive than Cameron vs. The World discussions...image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  7099WRX Points: 532Handicap: 3Posts: 7,099 Marshals
    I don't believe eye dominance plays any importance in putting or striking - just my unqualified 2 cents.
    Posted:
    Minimalist Bag!
    Handicap:  3

• 307golf307golf Powder River, Let'er Buck! Members  1408WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,408 Bunkers
    But is it important in alignment...??? I would think so.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.