DIY MOI-match set. Can´t get the 5 iron to behave properly!

Bettega

I have tried MOI-matching a set of Wishon 771 csi and Nippon N.S.PRO 1050GH. 6-AW works well with a good ball strike. The 5 iron is not on MOI-target because I could not remove weight from the head. I have tried to grip down to get the feel of the MOI-match SW but the club still feels not right and I can´t get a good ball strike. Anyone have an idea of what I should do to make the 5 iron feel as good as the 6 iron?

maldwrdnvh8f.png

@ Howard Jones:

It is not important for me to keep 4/8 ". The set was originally intended as a 3/8" MOI-match DIY-project but due to lack of time I handed the set to a club maker (who unfortunately never had heard of a 3/8"-set) but offered to mount the clubs for a symbolic sum and with 4/8" length and flat D2 SW. I got the clubs back and found that the lengths were correct, but the SW-values were different for all the clubs! When I played the set, it turned out that the 9-iron fit me well and with some simple weight changes on the other clubs, and thanks to the club’s SW being wrong, but in the right direction, the set was suddenly MOI-matched (except for the 5 iron)! I have good ball striking with 6-PW and I can hit the clubs well without practice swing.

I'm open to all kinds of suggestions to make the feel of the 5-iron as good as the other clubs!

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> IF you want to keep 4/8" between clubs, there is no other way than to hosel dril that head to take down head weight.

If the OP is only looking for the MOI numbers, could he counter weight the 5 iron ? Of course, it may be close by the numbers but the result for feel might be another thing.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > IF you want to keep 4/8" between clubs, there is no other way than to hosel dril that head to take down head weight.

>

> If the OP is only looking for the MOI numbers, could he counter weight the 5 iron ? Of course, it may be close by the numbers but the result for feel might be another thing.

Adding weight, no matter where you add it is adding MOI....so forget Counter weighting, it cant be done here.

He will need to reduce head weight, so thats were both the problem and the solution is.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @Bettega said:

> @ Howard Jones:

> It is not important for me to keep 4/8 ". The set was originally intended as a 3/8" MOI-match DIY-project but due to lack of time I handed the set to a club maker (who unfortunately never had heard of a 3/8"-set) but offered to mount the clubs for a symbolic sum and with 4/8" length and flat D2 SW. I got the clubs back and found that the lengths were correct, but the SW-values were different for all the clubs! When I played the set, it turned out that the 9-iron fit me well and with some simple weight changes on the other clubs, and thanks to the club’s SW being wrong, but in the right direction, the set was suddenly MOI-matched (except for the 5 iron)! I have good ball striking with 6-PW and I can hit the clubs well without practice swing.

>

> I'm open to all kinds of suggestions to make the feel of the 5-iron as good as the other clubs!

>

You got 2 options.

The first, Pull the head, and drill out about 2 grams from the hosel. it should be no problem to do that at home, if 10 grams was needed, more advanced tools would be needed, but 2 grams...drill by hand.

2. option is shorter play length. The closest you get is a butt cut of 3/16 who will cause a drop of SW of 1.12 SWP and your target is down 1.1 so that would make it.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> > @Bettega said:

> > @ Howard Jones:

> > It is not important for me to keep 4/8 ". The set was originally intended as a 3/8" MOI-match DIY-project but due to lack of time I handed the set to a club maker (who unfortunately never had heard of a 3/8"-set) but offered to mount the clubs for a symbolic sum and with 4/8" length and flat D2 SW. I got the clubs back and found that the lengths were correct, but the SW-values were different for all the clubs! When I played the set, it turned out that the 9-iron fit me well and with some simple weight changes on the other clubs, and thanks to the club’s SW being wrong, but in the right direction, the set was suddenly MOI-matched (except for the 5 iron)! I have good ball striking with 6-PW and I can hit the clubs well without practice swing.

> >

> > I'm open to all kinds of suggestions to make the feel of the 5-iron as good as the other clubs!

> >

>

> You got 2 options.

> The first, Pull the head, and drill out about 2 grams from the hosel. it should be no problem to do that at home, if 10 grams was needed, more advanced tools would be needed, but 2 grams...drill by hand.

>

> 2. option is shorter play length. The closest you get is a butt cut of 3/16 who will cause a drop of SW of 1.12 SWP and your target is down 1.1 so that would make it.

So you think it's a lesser evil to reduce the weight by reducing the length instead of adding butt weight ?

Of course removing the added head weight is preferred. I wonder if the weight can be removed if it's epoxy in.

> @Snowman9000 said:

> The Wishon hosel is already drilled in effect.

That makes no difference, it only reduce the maximum of what we can remove since there is a whole below the shaft tip already, but removing 2 grams is no problem at all.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > > @Bettega said:

> > > @ Howard Jones:

> > > It is not important for me to keep 4/8 ". The set was originally intended as a 3/8" MOI-match DIY-project but due to lack of time I handed the set to a club maker (who unfortunately never had heard of a 3/8"-set) but offered to mount the clubs for a symbolic sum and with 4/8" length and flat D2 SW. I got the clubs back and found that the lengths were correct, but the SW-values were different for all the clubs! When I played the set, it turned out that the 9-iron fit me well and with some simple weight changes on the other clubs, and thanks to the club’s SW being wrong, but in the right direction, the set was suddenly MOI-matched (except for the 5 iron)! I have good ball striking with 6-PW and I can hit the clubs well without practice swing.

> > >

> > > I'm open to all kinds of suggestions to make the feel of the 5-iron as good as the other clubs!

> > >

> >

> > You got 2 options.

> > The first, Pull the head, and drill out about 2 grams from the hosel. it should be no problem to do that at home, if 10 grams was needed, more advanced tools would be needed, but 2 grams...drill by hand.

> >

> > 2. option is shorter play length. The closest you get is a butt cut of 3/16 who will cause a drop of SW of 1.12 SWP and your target is down 1.1 so that would make it.

>

> So you think it's a lesser evil to reduce the weight by reducing the length instead of adding butt weight ?

> Of course removing the added head weight is preferred. I wonder if the weight can be removed if it's epoxy in.

i dont think or believe, i know.

The player clearly dont have a #5 that works, and i dont expect play length on a #5 to be the issue, then its resistance like he has found out already. We can fool a SW scale and add grip weight, but we cant fool a MOI scale or feel, so if we add grip weight, the club gets higher total weight and by that higher actual MOI, so we move the wrong direction.

As rule of thumb. 10 MOI points = 1 gram head weight (it vary depending on play length just like SWP to grams is depending on play length.

The OPs case can be compared with using Std vs MID size grips in this chart.

On the SW scale, we see a drop of about 1 SWP like he want, while actual MOI goes up in this case 7 points = feels like 0.7 grams ADDED to the heads instead of 2 grams removed.

p3fvatv7ldg1.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a dry fit chart for actual MOI with grams to MOI points depending on play length.

The OP needs to remove 1.1 SWP , and at 38.125" its 2.06 grams pr SWP so total need is a reduction of 2.26 grams

2.26 grams = 19 MOI points down, while adding MID size only fool the SW scale and bring MOI UP by 7 points*

19 plus 7 = 26 POINTs ABOVE target - so feel of head weight is now 3 grams above target, we did NOT fix it, we made it worse.

Grams to MOI points

e4eikigcfjx8.jpg

SW to grams

vqudtivgb8hs.jpg

• Like 1