2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Lessons

[quote name='wholeinwon ' post='2058994' date='Nov 11 2009, 06:48 PM']I deleted the posts which make me "think I'm better then everyone else".

1340 posts, I've been here for over 4 years, and talk golf with people, talk about topics in golf, learn about golf, etc. this site is the #1 resource I have to talk to people from around the world about golf related topics, it's a huge free forum where you can get a ton of ideas, insights, and tips about the golf swing, teaching and many other parts of the golf world.

Maybe you do know more about the golf swing then I do, maybe you don't? can you really know...?

Again I'm so sorry and apologize to every junior I ever offended in the junior section giving tips on golf, working, jobs in the industry, the PGM program, college golf, tournaments and everything else. I'm so sorry I've been such a terrible addition to this community and am so full of myself trying to help juniors get on the right path in playing, working or going to school for golf.

So hopefully I can get a job at Kroger since I know nothing about golf and should get out of the industry immediately.[/quote]

A good start would of been you not even replying in here. So just start now and stop "offending" us juniors, whom you admitted to offending.

And kroger is not your best bet. Mentally disabled people start as baggers and make less than you do now. FU

Once again I didnt try to start an arguement, but you insisted that by my first post i said you knew nothing about golf and you got all sour. Calm down dude, and be the highly mature adult that you are. And I will be that kid.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

wholeinone, I agree with a lot of what you have said based on my own experience in teaching juniors. 99.9 percent of the juniors I teach are not like xmod. Students like xmod are a true joy to have because they are better and understand more. That said I would recomend every other week to have a lesson with maybe every week having a 10 minute check up. A very important thing for a junior golfer is to learn to fix problems for themselves. Thats what every good player can do. That being said why does everyone have to get so offended on the internet? Xmod, I know it looked like wholeinone was attacking you but you have to man up also. some of your posts were redic, you dont need to attack back. thats what gets people banned. But seriously, xmod do what you do. It has worked to get you as good as you are now. Keep going the most joyful thing to a teacher is to see junior golfers who love golf! I love that. it means i have done my job!!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='xmod_supra' post='2058698' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:21 PM']nothing pisses me off more than a guy who thinks he is a know it all.[/quote]

Look who's talking... I highly doubt you talk like this to everyone you disagree with at 16, because you would probably get your a** beat. I was in high school not that long ago (2.5 years), and I know someone like you would be looked at as a somewhat of a whiner to your classmates. Lastly, that car is not fast enough to have posted in your sig, step your game up.

Getting that off my chest, I would say a junior golfer, depending on what their aspirations are, would need to have lessons between once a week to once a month. Anything longer than that bad habits could have formed making the first original lesson useless.

[quote]A good math tutor won't tell you the answer to a difficult problem, you wouldn't learn a thing. He would show the necessary steps and requirements to come to a conclusion and make sure you understand the process yourself.[/quote]

+1 on that.

I am no junior golfer, but I go every other week right now. When I get the consistency I want I will reevaluate how often I go and what is covered.

My son takes about 10-12 lessons per year. We have a somewhat limited budget, and golf is not his only sport...I cannot imagine paying for weekly lessons. He is a junior with a 76.2 tournament average--so it hasn't killed him not getting once-a-week...maybe if he went more it would be a 72--who knows--guess a lot depends on the individual and money available.

He has worked with the same pro for about 2.5 years...and has learned to self-correct some problems. A few times he has had to go in for a swing fix...more of his time now is spent on playing lessons, not swing lessons

[quote name='generaljhc' post='2152921' date='Dec 31 2009, 02:07 PM']My son takes about 10-12 lessons per year. We have a somewhat limited budget, and golf is not his only sport...I cannot imagine paying for weekly lessons. He is a junior with a 76.2 tournament average--so it hasn't killed him not getting once-a-week...maybe if he went more it would be a 72--who knows--guess a lot depends on the individual and money available.

He has worked with the same pro for about 2.5 years...and has learned to self-correct some problems. A few times he has had to go in for a swing fix...more of [b][u]his time now is spent on playing lessons, not swing lessons
[/u][/b][/quote]

now he's being coached. well done!

My son now takes a lesson every 2-4 weeks. The key, IMHO, is to allow enough time between lessons to practice and master what was taught in the previous lesson. This could take a week or a month or more depending on what you are changing and how much you practice.

This is in contrast to what we used to do - Don't let this happen to you! When he first started taking lessons we got hooked up with a pro who thought he had a lot of potential. He put together a package with a lesson every week and a playing lesson once a month. The cost was very reasonable (about 1/3 of going rate) and, not knowing any better, thought this was a great way to go. My son learned a lot initially, but the lessons soon turned into "the fix of the week". Each week a new problem would crop up and a new fix applied. My son became dependent on the pro to "fix" his swing each week. He'd play a round of golf, have some problems and, instead of being able to work through them, just rely on his pro to "fix him". The end result is he had a great looking swing that "broke" every week and was completely dependent on someone else to "fix it".

The new instructor is focused on putting all the pieces back together, one by one. They work on one thing for a lesson and he doesn't take another lesson until he has mastered the change. Progress has been dramatic and now he understands how to fix his own swing.

The pilot only really needs to know how to fly the plane, right?
However, he should have an idea of what to do when there is engine trouble.

A player must know what makes the ball fly the way it does and what is the reason for a ball to go offline. most players have a stock shot and one consistent miss. Knowing why the good ones happened and what to do when the bad ones show up are a sign of a good coach. Constant 'tips' and 'tweaks' don't allow a player to make a sound swing improvement and it shows that the instructor doesn't know how to [i]build[/i] a swing. Fixing a swing is easy.