This question is for Juniors or Parents

5 year old
My 5 year old daughter has taken to asking me to take her to hit balls at the driving range. I guess my question is what do I do from here? Does she need to start taking instruction from a teacher now or should I wait? Also for the junor golfers, when did you start seriously into golf? I am just not sure if I should get serious with her right now or just let her keep doing what she is doing for the time being? Thank you all for any help you can provide me

P.S. She has taken to asking me at least 2 times a week to hit balls. So she is pretty interested

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can let her guide the way pretty easily. If she starts doing well at the range, see if she wants to do mini-golf or an executive course. You can find out if she just likes to beat balls or is interested in going low. From there, see if she wants lessons or would prefer to continue to have some quality daddy-daughter time.

Overall, my suggestion is to keep it as fun as possible.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

My son has just turned 11. He started asking about golf at 6 after playing crazy golf on holiday. Being a non golfer I wasn't sure what to do. I was told one of the local courses did a junior session on a weekend morning so I took him along. 10x1hr sessions for £20($30) with a group ratio of between 1:5 and 1:15 depending on the weather.

The pro concentrated on the basics i.e grip, stance etc and the fundamentals of the swing. His main aim however was to make it fun. The club has a great junior section, which he joined. He stopped doing the group lessons after a couple of years as he felt he was getting nothing out of them. He is still playing at the club and still improving. He also plays for local junior football (proper football :rolleyes:) and cricket so golf is not always at the top of his priorities, however if he doesn't get on the course for a week he starts complaining so I guess the interest is there.

I would say let her hit balls and if she likes it check out local courses to see if they have a junior program. He is currently doing a program in the UK called Young Masters Golf (google it!). Due to playing before he started midway through the program.

Out of interest, to pass the time on a saturday when he started playing I knew the assistant pro and he gave me an old Ping Zing2 8 iron for me to try to hit balls with on the range. Several years on I am golf crazy. I joined the same course and play at every opportunity. That old Ping Zing must have had an effect on me. After trying other brands, I still end up buying Ping, although have fell in love with a Scotty and am trying to persuade the wife to let me get it. My son is fighting the cause as he knows one day it will be his ;)

It is great that your 5 year old daughter is expressing an interest. It is now at least partially up to you to cultivate that interest by giving her opportunities and making/keeping it fun. At her age, the most basic fundamentals like grip, posture and a basic swing pattern are all she really needs. I had success with my daughter by just placing her at the top of the swing position and telling her to swing down through the ball from there. After a few whacks she basically had the hang of it and could do it on her own.

Keep in mind that little ones have a limited attention span. Like you and me, they will have good days and bad days both in terms of their success in hitting the ball and their attitude toward it. If she's not into it one day and after a few shots wants to go chase butterflies, let her go. Positive reinforcement goes a long way. As she grows and gets older she will likely develop the desire to improve and work at it on her own.

My own daughter just turned eleven and has a summer full of tournament golf planned. I am loving it and would rather go watch her play or caddy for her than play my own round, which is really saying something. I introduced her to the game when she was about 5, and although she always had an interest, she didn't really get into it until last year as a 10 year old. I also have a 14 year old daughter and introduced her to the game the same way, but she never took to it even though she is a successful athlete in other sports.

Approach it with a ton of patience and the initial goal of just keeping it really fun for her. If you do so you stand a good chance that she will develop a love for the game and will cherish the time spent with you.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Teach her the basics, but don't forget the short game. Then you should get her into a beginner type group lesson or camp where she can meet some kids like her that like golf. Golf is much more fun that way.

That being said, my now 9 year old started playing at age 1. At age 5, he was invited to join a beginner golf camp where the minimum age was 7 or 8. When he was carrying his "team" in the competitions at the camp. I then realized that he was no longer a beginner and then hired him PGA instructors to continue his teaching. Even at age 9, he still waffles between golf, video games, and now ice hockey. His current instructor says that even at 9, golf should still be fun, and that some kids won't begin to take golf or any sport seriously until after age 12.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

My daughter, now 11, started coming to the range with me when she was 5. Looking back, I am glad I provided her with equipment that was appropriate. As we all know, golf can be frustrating, and keeping it fun is the most important thing. Good snacks certainly don't hurt.

I took the advice of Jack Nicklaus: teach the youngster to hit the ball hard. This is where the joy comes from. When the ball goes farther than thought possible, that is when the kid (and don't we all?) gets hooked.

Par 3 courses are great to get started even at a young age.

My daughter is now a confident golfer who enjoys going to the course, even on her own, and playing. What a great life-long sport!

All I can do is echo above. Keep it fun, don't push. When the time is right for her to play, some courses have "jr tees" extra set of tees around 150-225 yards on par 4's and 5"s. That way you can play togerther. Late evening is a great time to go and play.

When it is time, find a well ran jr golf camp where she can learn the basics. My son went to one two summers in a row (I think it was the summer he turned 9 and summer he turned 10, but it might have been 8 & 9) and that really got him going on the right track early on. Camp was 4 days, 4 hours a day, cost $100-120. Leaned fundamentals, rules, and etiquette. Occasional Indivdual golf lessons started sometime not to long after the 2nd summer camp.

I guess it depends on the level of her interest . [i][b]Keep in mind never to push ..[/b][/i]..
My 5 year old son started playing at 4. At the age of five, he competed in world golf junior tournament at Pinehurst,where 6 yr old kids from Japan Mexico and US shot under par rounds for three days. They had amazing short game.
Last Year he won few junior tournaments. This year he has a coach and is very interested .
My son plays two to three under par on practice rounds at his home course(Par 3 executive course, adjusted for age & distance). On a bad day he shoots par. He gets to play with local school team kids and he is much better than most of them with his wedge and putter.
We have never forced him but nurtured his talent along without any expectations . We introduced him to Soccer , swimming and baseball, he seems to enjoy golf most .
With 16 year old making cut at masters , this game will see a champion golfer at 13 or 14 in our time. I believe this equation is different from Nicklaus 's days. There is a school of thought warning about competing at a young age. We needed next step for our son who was bored playing or hitting balls at home course . He enjoys competing with other kids. My four year old daughter is not interested in golf .She enjoys gymnastics class more and occasionaly hits few balls with my son.

You need to figure out her level of interest in a neutral manner . Some kids would like to go to golf course , cause Dad does it or they get to go out of the house to play etc. If she has a serious interest ...
I suggest a short par 3 golf course, buy her junior set from Callaway , US kids and a low compression ball. If she continues to display high level of interest play with her on short courses, that way you get to spend quality time with her , while improving your short game.

This is US kids junior torunament an exciting place for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEC5WWcmd84&NR=1

Lastly, highly recommend .. "Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle.

[quote name='Ezgolfer' date='17 April 2010 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1271516202' post='2384862']

With 16 year old making cut at masters , this game will see a champion golfer at 13 or 14 in our time.
[/quote]

No we won't. Kids are not physically developed nearly as much as men in their 20s and 30s. They may have the strength, or the coordination, or various other physical attributes, but not enough to truly challenge a fully grown man. Also, very few would even be mentally or emotionally developed enough to be able to play in that kind of situation, and nothing says that those that do will have the aforementioned physical abilities.

I agree that with recent advances in pretty much all facets of the game (including training, teaching, etc.) kids are able to start reaching their potential early, but 13/14 is young. I would be fairly surprised if we even see an 18 year old who has consistent success on the tour, not just one a single win.

I know it has been said before but do not push her! If she asks take her to the range, you can offer too...but yea then let her do that for a lil maybe when she hits the ball far enought let her start playing from like 150 yards out maybe closer or further on some. Then around 12 see if she wants to play in some tournaments and see how it goes from there. Who knows she could be good if she gets a love for the game at the age of 5

My 5 year old daughter and I have been going to the range and the putting green since she was 3. The best advice I can offer is show her the basics and then let her go. If she uses her own technique leave her alone and let her have fun. As long as she enjoys it and has fun her technique will continually improve.

Hey, if she develops a good golf swing and shoots in the 90s for 18 holes by high school, she can get a golf scholarship to college. Seriously, just keep it fun, teach her the basics, and leave the tweaking and adjustments of her swing to the pros.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 17 year old daughter who started playing at 3. It is a great game for young women. Try to find some other girls who might want to join you. Children seem to prefer team sports due to their social nature. If you can include some other children it will be more fun for evryone.

Competions can begin as young a 8. I think US Kids has an 8 and under catagory.

Spending time playing golf with my daughter is one of my favorite things in life.

Good luck.

My son will be 4 in less than a month and he's been bugging me about it too. I've taken him to the range once which was a blast for him and we are constantly chipping and putting on the carpet in the basement. Even though it pains me, I'm not pushing him to any specific mechanics yet, just trying to get him to understand the concept of taking the club back and swinging through, making contact if possible. He has the determination to do it right, so I'm not concerned about that just yet. Just trying to keep it fun for him and share the enjoyment of the game.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach