2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

what's the difference between wilson staff and wilson pro-staff?

Micah J

Just curious is all. I have an older hybrid about 10 years old that says pro staff but my d100 hybrids are wilson staff. Is pro staff obsolete now or is it just a different line of club from the same maker??

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff
Wilson Staff 15* FW stiff
Wilson Staff D-100 19* hy
Adams CB3 4-GW KBS stock/stiff
Wilson Harmonized M3 putter/35"
Carbite 56* SW / Carbite TS 60* LW

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1391185023' post='8571636']
[attachment=2046700:1391185099913.jpg]Just curious is all. I have an older hybrid about 10 years old that says pro staff but my d100 hybrids are wilson staff. Is pro staff obsolete now or is it just a different line of club from the same maker??
[/quote]

Pro Staff is a store line club.

Wilson Staff is the pro line.

Some of the confusion about this probably stems from the fact that Wilson's top of the line ball in the 70s and 80s was called ProStaff.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Got it. Well for a store line club this 3 h pro staff hits very solid still after many rounds. It's in my travel bag now and been rwplaced by 2 d100 I got free when I bought the d100 iron set. I just keep 1 hybrid in the bag for now. Replaced the 4h with a 60 degree.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[attachment=2046806:1391193087855.jpg]Ive always liked the fat shafted d line from wilson. Even have an original deep red fat shafted hybrid. Check it out

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1391192914' post='8572506']
Got it. Well for a store line club this 3 h pro staff hits very solid still after many rounds. It's in my travel bag now and been rwplaced by 2 d100 I got free when I bought the d100 iron set. I just keep 1 hybrid in the bag for now. Replaced the 4h with a 60 degree.
[/quote]

Store line clubs can be just fine if they fit your needs.

The only thing that matters is that it works. The brand or where it was purchased means nothing.

Remember, on this section of the board most of us are playing stuff we've cobbled together out of thrift stores. You're not going to get judged negatively for your choices around these parts!

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1391193104' post='8572526']
Ive always liked the fat shafted d line from wilson. Even have an original deep red fat shafted hybrid. Check it out
[/quote]

There are people who say that the Fat Shaft has somehow been detrimental to Wilson, but I'm not among them.

If it had been a detriment, they wouldn't have kept selling it for fifteen years.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1391206193' post='8573912']
Ive always liked the fat shafted d line from wilson. Even have an original deep red fat shafted hybrid. Check it out
[/quote]

There are people who say that the Fat Shaft has somehow been detrimental to Wilson, but I'm not among them.

If it had been a detriment, they wouldn't have kept selling it for fifteen years.
[/quote]

Exactly. In fact the only reason I don't play these clubs anymore is due to the free D 100 3 and 4 hybrids I have but honestly....they're not as good as these. I just play them because they're new and expensive. I need to stop doimg that. Who am I trying to impress. Especially if they really don't improve my golf game. Expensive overhyped equipment ads get to me I admit. And I'm a sucker in a golf shop for new shiny equipment. I look at the old timers on the course hitting straight shot after straight shot and then look at their vintage decades old sticks and shake my head. And I always leave my billfold in my pocket when they offer up dollar a hole friendly wagers. I'd get schooled. Lolll

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff

[/quote]

[/quote]I will have to agree with you there . Even though I have never played the Fat Shaft Wilson clubs they have a devoted following with some of the retirees here along with the TM Bubble Shafts. When I am slumming (thrift store hunting) I look out for these clubs and buy them for the shafts. In fact had a golf shop call me the other week looking for a 7 iron fat shaft. I just happened to have one and he sent the customer to me in fact I ended up selling the customer the whole club for $15. I made a little money and the guy was estatic

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='Micah J' timestamp='1391209001' post='8574160']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. In fact the only reason I don't play these clubs anymore is due to the free D 100 3 and 4 hybrids I have but honestly....they're not as good as these. I just play them because they're new and expensive. I need to stop doimg that. Who am I trying to impress. Especially if they really don't improve my golf game. Expensive overhyped equipment ads get to me I admit. And I'm a sucker in a golf shop for new shiny equipment. I look at the old timers on the course hitting straight shot after straight shot and then look at their vintage decades old sticks and shake my head. And I always leave my billfold in my pocket when they offer up dollar a hole friendly wagers. I'd get schooled. Lolll
[/quote]

Have a look at this.

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp?ai=870&eid=IronMPF

When you compare MOI of newer clubs to older ones (which is the measurement of what is sold as "forgiveness"), and where the Center of Gravity is actually located on the blade, you'll see that many of the claims of today's OEMs simply don't hold water.

Save your money, use what you like and don't buy stuff you don't need to impress people that you probably don't even like.

And that applies to all of life, not just golf.

--Rory McIlroy 

• 1 month later...

As stated, Wilson Pro Staff is their "recreational" line sold through the big-box stores, such as, Big Five Sporting Goods.

But here is the funny thing: a lot of the Wilson Pro Staff is perfectly fine gear. However some of it is not QAd enough. See this in the putters esp.

- Look at the Pro Staff putters. They are ALL, every model, a modern design. How much different is putter A to putter B for the average golfer? Intended to roll the ball nine feet. So it is not a Scotty model. So what!

BUT you need to look more closely. The Wilson Pro Staff putters suffer a wide variety of QA infractions. Many times they are not built flat. Sometimes very off center.

So...it can be a PERFECT club or not as sweet.

The Wilson Staff line of gear is always pretty modern AND the QA is top notch.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1391209109' post='8574170']
[/quote]

[/quote]I will have to agree with you there . Even though I have never played the Fat Shaft Wilson clubs they have a devoted following with some of the retirees here along with the TM Bubble Shafts. When I am slumming (thrift store hunting) I look out for these clubs and buy them for the shafts. In fact had a golf shop call me the other week looking for a 7 iron fat shaft. I just happened to have one and he sent the customer to me in fact I ended up selling the customer the whole club for $15. I made a little money and the guy was estatic
[/quote]

That scenario there is the main thing I had against Fat Shafts. If you broke a club and needed to replace the shaft, it always looked like you'd be in trouble. And if you decided you didn't like the shafts in a set and wanted to change them - I suspect you'd be better buying a whole new set of irons.

Personally, I think Wilson made a mistake with the Fat Shaft because by and large the golfing public likes branded rather than in-house shafts. There's a whole level of scepticism now about OEM versions of branded shafts, nevermind own label shafts. On the other hand, Dynamic Gold is still a selling point for a large number of consumers who don't fit it terribly well.

As a kid, I never understood the logic of adding "pro" to the name of a model or a line, and making it cheaper. I know golf manufacturers tend to abuse terms like "pro" and "tour" - but even so I thought Wilson's use of "staff" and "pro staff" was a bit back to front.

Unless "pro staff" was a deliberate joke at the expense of us consumers.

"So we've got our staff players, right? Staff, yeah - they're the ones we pay. The professionals. And then we've got our [b][i]Pro[/i][/b] Staff. How 'bout that then? Double whammy, right at ya"

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1395623229' post='8934893']

As a kid, I never understood the logic of adding "pro" to the name of a model or a line, and making it cheaper. I know golf manufacturers tend to abuse terms like "pro" and "tour" - but even so I thought Wilson's use of "staff" and "pro staff" was a bit back to front.

[/quote]

Excellent MBA-school case study in bad branding. "Staff" on golf gear was almost always a Wilson best-offer line. "ProStaff" line was conspicuously cheaper gear, but the words hardly say so.

I [i]lol[/i] when people in these forums think just because some major OEM is "doing it", must have passed every sanity and soundness check. Corporate America is run by people. Folks run stop lights all the time.

Marketing is esp subject to the jaundiced eye.

[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1395641930' post='8936563']

[/quote]

Excellent MBA-school case study in bad branding. "Staff" on golf gear was almost always a Wilson best-offer line. "ProStaff" line was conspicuously cheaper gear, but the words hardly say so.

I [i]lol[/i] when people in these forums think just because some major OEM is "doing it", must have passed every sanity and soundness check. Corporate America is run by people. Folks run stop lights all the time.

[/quote]

Remember when Pontiac put "LeMans" on a hatchback?

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1395660561' post='8936969']
[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1395641930' post='8936563']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Remember when Pontiac put "LeMans" on a hatchback?
[/quote]

I always thought the Lemans was a mini version of the GTO but still came standard with a 400 big block. Back on topic though, I picked up a set of hybrids from Nickent at Dicks (2 for 50 bucks closeout). A week later I am back to gaming the Wilsons. The Prostaff and the Deep Red are back in the bag to stay. It's not that the Nickent hynrids are of bad quality it's just that I've grown accustomed to the Wilsons and their feel. Look at my bag...it's not like I am brand loyal to any one maker. Mixed bag from this kid all the way. Thanks guys for the input. I guess every maker has their top of the line set and the lower end sets. I even started gaming some Adams 1208 cast irons(tight lies line from 12'). Mainly due to the wider soles and a reconstructed swing. The CB3s will be back but honestly the tight lies 1208 set feels and hits amazing.

Cleveland DST 10.5 stiff