2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

College golfer available to answer any questions

Hi, I am a freshman in high school and think I could play college golf. I just wanted to know, there is plenty of time left over in the schedule for schoolwork and studying, right? As much as I tell myself I want to make it to the tour, I know that the odds are not in my favor. I feel I could play D2 if I work hard. School comes first, golf second. Do you have time for studying? What an average D2 golf schedule like with classes? Thanks.

Vince

Taylormade SLDR White driver
Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood
Miura CB-201 Irons 3-PW
Vokey SM4 50*/Vokey SM6 54*/Vokey SM6 58* wedges
Titleist Scotty Cameron American Classic Bullseye Putter
Jones Golf Bag

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='VinnieT98' timestamp='1395513608' post='8925953']
Hi, I am a freshman in high school and think I could play college golf. I just wanted to know, there is plenty of time left over in the schedule for schoolwork and studying, right? As much as I tell myself I want to make it to the tour, I know that the odds are not in my favor. I feel I could play D2 if I work hard. School comes first, golf second. Do you have time for studying? What an average D2 golf schedule like with classes? Thanks.

Vince
[/quote]

It certainly is quite an adjustment from high school, speaking for myself at least. For myself I really learned how important it was to schedule out your weeks, both in your course load and how you plan on practicing for the week. I really noticed after the end of my freshman year when i came home for the summer just how busy I truly was at school. You definitely just get used to being busy at all times and now I find I'm at the point where I just don't sleep in as I'm so used to being busy.

A typical day schedule for myself would be wake up at 7:45, class from 8:30-1 then lunch, practice from 2-5 pm followed by workouts from 5-6 pm. After that I will relax for a bit and eat dinner then back to school work from 8-11 or so depending on how busy my week is.

Sorry I can't speak for the schedule demands at a D2 school but I hope seeing my schedule gives you a better idea on things.

2017 M2 10.5 GD Tour AD-TP 6x
2017 M1 3w GD Tour AD-TP 7x
2017 M1 3h Matrix Black Tie 95x
P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x
TaylorMade 2017 Milled 50-SB, 54-SB, 60-LB KBS C-Taper 130x
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Shoutout to W.G2016 on his team winning the conference championship and going 1-1-1 personally in the match play!!

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]

[quote name='WolverineGolfer2016' timestamp='1391477689' post='8593636']
[quote name='semi' timestamp='1391456058' post='8591376']
This is great of you to do this...giving back has to be a good feeling.

I am a senior in high school. I do not live in the US. I am not heavily recruited like you were but I have had some contact with coaches. I play a lot of big tournaments and have had some success.

If I get indications that a coach is interested in me, is it wise to push the issue and ask questions like, when do you expect to complete you team for 2015? Or, if you're really not interested in me can you let me know so that I can move on? Questions like that...getting to the point.

One more question. If you feel that a coach is interested in you, should you still continue sending your profile to other coaches? I guess I just don't know if coaches talk and whether that can come back and get you.

Think Michigan would be interested in me? ha.

Thanks
[/quote]

I would say in regards to your first set of questions that you first should seem confident in your abilities and attributes that there is no reason a coach would not be interested in you. I think when things start getting more serious with a coach it is totally fair to ask where you sit on their pecking order, just to get a good sense. You'll have a pretty good feeling of when this question would be appropriate to be asked imo.

There is no issue with keeping your options open, I would say to definitely keep contacting other schools. You would be surprised as to just how many kids are recruited each year to each school so theres no reason why you cannot do the same and have a number of schools on your list. I know that was one thing that really surprised me in my freshman year was just how many kids visit a school.

Ha I mean no reason to not send them an email! Chris and Nick are both great guys and I found them to be the most honest throughout the whole process for me so seriously there's no reason to not send them an email. Not to mention Michigan is just a phenomenal school and the experience for their student athletes is truly second to none.
[/quote]
I did send an email. You're right, from the links that I looked at Michigan has so much to offer.

• 7 months later...

Just bumping this in case anyone has questions about the recruiting process, or just questions about college golf and my experience. I understand this is a busy time for a lot of juniors as the recruiting season is kicking up so just wanting to be able to help any wrx'ers along with there (or their son/daughters) process. As always feel free to post in here or you can PM me as well and I'll be more than happy to chat with people.

Go blue!

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

Hello! I am currently 17 boy and I'm an Asian (Not sure if not being an American lowers my chances of being recruited T^T) I now shoot low to mid 80's in 6800+ courses, and I know that I'm not really good, and I have a tendon injury right now and I have to rest a few months, which means that I can't even practice or participate in tournaments anymore, until my injury is all healed. I have a unweighted GPA of 3.7, and I didn't take the SAT or ACT or TOEFL yet. My family can't really support me to go the the States, so I really need a scholarship. I know that men barely get a full scholarship, and only the best ones do, so I don't really expect to get a full scholarship. What is the best Division for me to go to? And also what division / school gives out the best scholarships?? I'm also thinking of going to NJCAA schools because I think that I'm too bad and the NCAA schools won't give me scholarship xD. Will The NCAA (any division) or NJCAA Division I schools accept me? And Is it okay to ask if the coaches can give me a scholarship? I don't want to sound cocky but I can't go to a school that can't give me a scholarship because my parents are having a hard time financially. Do you think it would sound bad if I asked the coaches if they could give me a scholarship?? I would be so happy if you gave me a reply! I'm sorry it's quite long >.<

[quote name='SSpark67' timestamp='1415773047' post='10433251']
Hello! I am currently 17 boy and I'm an Asian (Not sure if not being an American lowers my chances of being recruited T^T) I now shoot low to mid 80's in 6800+ courses, and I know that I'm not really good, and I have a tendon injury right now and I have to rest a few months, which means that I can't even practice or participate in tournaments anymore, until my injury is all healed. I have a unweighted GPA of 3.7, and I didn't take the SAT or ACT or TOEFL yet. My family can't really support me to go the the States, so I really need a scholarship. I know that men barely get a full scholarship, and only the best ones do, so I don't really expect to get a full scholarship. What is the best Division for me to go to? And also what division / school gives out the best scholarships?? I'm also thinking of going to NJCAA schools because I think that I'm too bad and the NCAA schools won't give me scholarship xD. Will The NCAA (any division) or NJCAA Division I schools accept me? And Is it okay to ask if the coaches can give me a scholarship? I don't want to sound cocky but I can't go to a school that can't give me a scholarship because my parents are having a hard time financially. Do you think it would sound bad if I asked the coaches if they could give me a scholarship?? I would be so happy if you gave me a reply! I'm sorry it's quite long >.<
[/quote]

What year would you be planning on going to college? One thing to consider is what the "true" cost of going to college. You have to remember the cost of travel back and forth from school and home. Also the cost of international medical insurance would be a factor as well. I would say if you're seriously considering playing in the US for college you should be playing a fairly full spring/summer schedule and playing stateside in order for coaches to see you play and meet you. While some coaches have the budget to travel around the world to watch recruits play, Division 2 and junior college coaches do not have this luxury. As far as talking to coaches about scholarship values its best to first build a relationship with them and then when you build a more steady relationship with the coaches they will begin to better understand your family's financial situation and how much scholarship would be needed to bring you into their program. Hope this helps

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

[quote name='WolverineGolfer2016' timestamp='1415808418' post='10434455']
[quote name='SSpark67' timestamp='1415773047' post='10433251']
[/quote]

What year would you be planning on going to college? One thing to consider is what the "true" cost of going to college. You have to remember the cost of travel back and forth from school and home. Also the cost of international medical insurance would be a factor as well. I would say if you're seriously considering playing in the US for college you should be playing a fairly full spring/summer schedule and playing stateside in order for coaches to see you play and meet you. While some coaches have the budget to travel around the world to watch recruits play, Division 2 and junior college coaches do not have this luxury. As far as talking to coaches about scholarship values its best to first build a relationship with them and then when you build a more steady relationship with the coaches they will begin to better understand your family's financial situation and how much scholarship would be needed to bring you into their program. Hope this helps
[/quote]

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it :D Good luck on your golf!

What was the hardest thing for you to adjust to with college golf? I am going to start my freshman year at a D1 school next year and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm nervous that with all the things I'm trying to adjust to I won't play well.

What are some tips you think that could help adjust to college golf faster or what did you do to play well freshmen year.

[quote name='twman1113' timestamp='1415990633' post='10447255']
What was the hardest thing for you to adjust to with college golf? I am going to start my freshman year at a D1 school next year and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm nervous that with all the things I'm trying to adjust to I won't play well.

What are some tips you think that could help adjust to college golf faster or what did you do to play well freshmen year.
[/quote]

First congratulations on signing with a school and playing college golf! The obvious one that people will say is time management, which is definitely true. For me what I found best to do is to make a weekly schedule every week, practice times, class times, when you plan to do your readings/assignments etc. but also with that rather than just saying "practice" have a plan for what you want to accomplish each week of practice, and this can be something you can do with your coaches in order for you guys to be on the same page as far as how to best grow your game.

My other piece of advice is be used to the 36 holes days. In college golf a lot of the time you get to an event, play your practice round in the afternoon, don't have a ton of time to practice after your practice round, play 36 holes the next day, and then wake up early to play your final 18 holes. Because of this I think the biggest thing is that I wish I was told as a freshman was that you just have to go with what you've got that day/week. If all of a sudden you're hitting a fade when you show up to the tournament and you've been hitting a draw for months, rather than trying to fix your swing to hit your draw, just try to best understand the tendencies of your fade for that week and go with it. First you'll more than likely play better as you're not trying a bunch of different swing thoughts throughout the day and becoming confused, and you'll also in the long run know that when that happens again you will have a really good idea of your tendencies with that particular ball flight. In college golf you don't always get the range time you may be used to in junior golf before or after a round to make corrections to your swing.

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

[quote name='lucascole23' timestamp='1416363894' post='10470087']What types of things in terms of equipment does the university provide?[/quote]

For me I've been sponsored by Taylormade since I was 16 so generally I do stuff through them, but if I decide to play a different company the university covers the whole cost of the clubs for me. So for instance this past year I decided to play the 714 mbs and then have custom ground wedges by vokey and a TP mills putter and the university paid for all of that. Balls and gloves whenever you need them, and 3-4 pairs of shoes a year and plenty of clothing

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

At D2, D3 and NAIA schools the schedule is similar to above.

Classes in morning. Practice/Play/Qualify after lunch until dinner, then study.

Most golfers practice or play on their own on weekends and study or finish up assignments.

Tournaments are almost always on Monday and Tuesday and typically are 36 holes on day 1 and 18 on day 2. Only top D1 tournaments get to play on weekends. This means you frequently have to "catch up" on classes when you get back if you don't get it done at the hotel or van ride to and from tournament.

Most small colleges don't supply free golf equipment, but can get it for the player at a steep discount. Typically you will get all the balls, gloves, shirts, etc.. you will ever need.

[quote name='WolverineGolfer2016' timestamp='1416319687' post='10465897']
[quote name='twman1113' timestamp='1415990633' post='10447255']

[/quote]

First congratulations on signing with a school and playing college golf! The obvious one that people will say is time management, which is definitely true. For me what I found best to do is to make a weekly schedule every week, practice times, class times, when you plan to do your readings/assignments etc. but also with that rather than just saying "practice" have a plan for what you want to accomplish each week of practice, and this can be something you can do with your coaches in order for you guys to be on the same page as far as how to best grow your game.

My other piece of advice is be used to the 36 holes days. In college golf a lot of the time you get to an event, play your practice round in the afternoon, don't have a ton of time to practice after your practice round, play 36 holes the next day, and then wake up early to play your final 18 holes. Because of this I think the biggest thing is that I wish I was told as a freshman was that you just have to go with what you've got that day/week. If all of a sudden you're hitting a fade when you show up to the tournament and you've been hitting a draw for months, rather than trying to fix your swing to hit your draw, just try to best understand the tendencies of your fade for that week and go with it. First you'll more than likely play better as you're not trying a bunch of different swing thoughts throughout the day and becoming confused, and you'll also in the long run know that when that happens again you will have a really good idea of your tendencies with that particular ball flight. In college golf you don't always get the range time you may be used to in junior golf before or after a round to make corrections to your swing.
[/quote]

Thank you! This will really help me reach my potential this upcoming year and I can't wait!!!!

WolverineGolfer,
Im an 18 yo South African, hdcp of 1.6. Ive already signed up for uni over here. With 3 years to work on my game, would it be possible to play D1 golf while doing my grad and/or doctorate over there? Ill be 21 at that time. Any age restrictions of any sort I need to be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

Go low or go home,
Marc

• 1 month later...

Hey OP, it's readily apparent that you are well on your way to becoming a very impressive adult, regardless of where golf may take you.

If my 5 year old has your maturity at 20 years of age, I'd consider my job as a parent very well done.

Enjoy your winter break. Give your parents a hug and a big thanks! They and you have done very well.

I am a freshman at one of the top athletic high schools in the nation, with a current handicap of 6.8, and a relatively solid swing. With all of that combined with good grades, and of course a significant lowering of my average scores, would I be able to play D1? I'm really devoted and feel that if I keep improving at the rate I am, I may have a good shot at making it to a D1 school for golf. I feel like I must improve to at least a +1 to have a shot. Would that be about accurate? Any info and insight is greatly appreciated and good luck at Michigan.

~Grey

TM Sim 9.0* Atmos 75X
TM R15 TP Aldila Rogue Silver X 3-Wood
Titleist T-MB 2-Iron
TM P7 MB 7-PW

TM P7 MC 4-6
Ping Glide 2.0 Black 50* 54* 58*
Tru2 Vinci CSM2

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mr59' timestamp='1416506857' post='10478633']
WolverineGolfer,
Im an 18 yo South African, hdcp of 1.6. Ive already signed up for uni over here. With 3 years to work on my game, would it be possible to play D1 golf while doing my grad and/or doctorate over there? Ill be 21 at that time. Any age restrictions of any sort I need to be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

Go low or go home,
Marc
[/quote]

Sorry for the late response! Took a break on here during finals and over my Christmas break! Hope this finds you well though. I can't say with 100% certainty on the age restrictions for NCAA golf. My understanding was that once you graduate high school and enroll in a university, you have 5 years to complete your 4 years of athletic eligibility. Hope this helps and apologies again for the late response time.

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

[quote name='brewcrew90' timestamp='1419664879' post='10646089']
I am a freshman at one of the top athletic high schools in the nation, with a current handicap of 6.8, and a relatively solid swing. With all of that combined with good grades, and of course a significant lowering of my average scores, would I be able to play D1? I'm really devoted and feel that if I keep improving at the rate I am, I may have a good shot at making it to a D1 school for golf. I feel like I must improve to at least a +1 to have a shot. Would that be about accurate? Any info and insight is greatly appreciated and good luck at Michigan.

~Grey
[/quote]

I would just say without knowing your game/tournament experience too well that you should try gaining as much tournament experience right away to just get more tournament reps under your belt and this will give you a better understanding of your game and nerves under pressure. But don't be afraid to sign up for a bunch of local junior events and work your butt off. You can certainly be thinking/looking forward to playing college golf, but your focus should be on growing your game and lowering your scoring average to the point where you feel very confident in not just playing, but competing and beating the other top players in your state/region.

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

[quote name='BirdiesnoBogeys' timestamp='1420909379' post='10721979']
@WolverineGolfer2016 you need a WITB thread
[/quote]

@BirdiesnoBogeys I am definitely planning on setting one up soon! I'll try to have one up this weekend for everyone and can post a link to it in this section.

I was also thinking about possibly writing a weekly write-up starting in February on my week in college golf, so a more true glimpse into the life of a college golfer and all that it entails from classes, to practice, workouts, and travel. Just wondering people's thoughts on this and if it would be worth doing and beneficial for people to read. I am also very open to suggestions from others on what they would like to see in these write-ups in the future.

P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x

Since we're volunteering advice here, I figured I might as well offer up some musing based on my college golf experience. Firstly, I have played mutliple sports my entire life all at the highest level possible. Going into college I had opportunities to go to over a dozen schools to play three different sports. Without question, college golf is the most fun athletic experience I've ever had in my life. There is nothing better. A few points of guidance

1) there is no mystery or secret of how to get into college golf. You are either good enough or not good enough. How good is good enough? At least a 3.0 handicap but realistically, you should be a scratch or better. You are the best player on your highschool golf team and top 2 or 3 in your region. You play state or provincial tournaments and fair reasonably well. Locally, you are the best golfer your age on any given day. The next level for you is getting over the fear of "going low". If that's not you right now, quit emailing coaches and searching for schools with so-so golf teams that you think might take you and go practice. Quit practicing the shots you like to hit and practice the ones you can't.

2) balancing golf and school isn't hard. If you've played sports growing up than you've been balancing sports and life for years. College is no harder than highschool, it's just a different way of learning. Instead of being taught you are lectured and expected to learn the material yourself. If you're a die hard student that grinds over books for hours on end to get 100% something will have to give, either friends outside of golf, golf or school. If you're happy getting 70-95% then you can get by and have it all with several hang overs, a few one night stands and lots of great memories.

3) Figure out why you want to play college golf. If you want to play for the scholarship, you won't get one. Teams want players motivated to play at the next level, not just show up for free schooling. If you were offered a spot without scholarship would you accept the offer and go into debt to play? If the answer is no, then college golf will eat you alive and you will likely lose your scholarship before you're done.

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

What's a typical practice session like for you? There's an old post on here that has the practice regimen for the wake Forrest golf team and it has really helped my golf game improve. I have a tendency to just get in the habit of hitting balls and hanging out on the putting and chipping greens. Having an outlined plan has made my practice sessions much more beneficial. Great thread. Thanks

[quote name='southpaw72' timestamp='1421121373' post='10736995']
What's a typical practice session like for you? There's an old post on here that has the practice regimen for the wake Forrest golf team and it has really helped my golf game improve. I have a tendency to just get in the habit of hitting balls and hanging out on the putting and chipping greens. Having an outlined plan has made my practice sessions much more beneficial. Great thread. Thanks
[/quote]Could you please link me to the post?