2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura 1957 Small blade

VikingGolf

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1398874540' post='9203885']
Well. I'm not such a person, but at the risk of starting a "thing", the small size might contribute in a couple ways that help, while because of the same hosel and toe as a larger club, the sweet spot really isn't correspondingly smaller, inch for inch.

At that size the club is inescapably perimeter weighted, so basically it's a tiny GI design :)
[/quote]

I agree.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1399170476' post='9227107']
I've got a set of Baby Blades coming this week - always wanted a set to try. I'll be getting rid of my JNPs which is crazy - just had them built to my liking and I can't believe I'm replacing them already - the life of a golf ho I guess!
[/quote]

You are in for a treat my friend. Enjoy the crap out of them.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1398933023' post='9209529']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1398874540' post='9203885']
Well. I'm not such a person, but at the risk of starting a "thing", the small size might contribute in a couple ways that help, while because of the same hosel and toe as a larger club, the sweet spot really isn't correspondingly smaller, inch for inch.

At that size the club is inescapably perimeter weighted, so basically it's a tiny GI design :)
[/quote]

I agree.
[/quote]

Totally

I've got a set of Baby Blades coming this week - always wanted a set to try. I'll be getting rid of my JNPs which is crazy - just had them built to my liking and I can't believe I'm replacing them already - the life of a golf ho I guess!
[/quote]

Congrats! They are truly great!
Specs? Please give us feedback on how they play!

[quote name='VikingGolf' timestamp='1399297649' post='9234521']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Standard L/L/L with KBS C-taper (stiff). Won't be here until Thursday but I'll report back before the weekend. Hope the shafts aren't too much for me.

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1399315807' post='9236521']
[quote name='VikingGolf' timestamp='1399297649' post='9234521']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Standard L/L/L with KBS C-taper (stiff). Won't be here until Thursday but I'll report back before the weekend. Hope the shafts aren't too much for me.
[/quote]

Pictures please ;) KBS seems to be very popular in the States. Very interested to hear how they play.

Got the clubs today and of course I had to play a quick 9 with them. Nice lookin' blades but I'll admit I was disappointed on the size - was expecting something smaller but they look like every other blade I've played for the most part (i.e. Staffs, MP-14s, MP-29s, MP-37s). So did they play magically different - no. A sweet spot is a sweet spot and these felt no different. There's been some claims of these being a little longer but I didn't see that. They played the same distances as my 20 year old Macgregor JNP's. The KBS C- Tapers felt smooth but I need more rounds to comment on them. The flight seemed lower than my JNP Steelfibers but one round isn't enough. I've read claims that the C-Tapers are a lower flight shaft than the Dynamic Gold which I grew up on but I can't comment on that until I have some more rounds. I'll update my "WITB" in the next day or so with comparisons against my other clubs. My short review here is that they're nice clubs but are they worth the extra cash over other top blade manufacturer offerings - no!

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1399603691' post='9261123']
You sure they are BB's, cause they are nothing like the average blade. TB's, or the mb001 maybe, but the BB's are noticeably smaller.

[b]Should of demoed before purchase[/b]
[/quote]

I'm a solid player - demo'ed not required!

They're BBs and I'm sure I've owned and played more iron sets (mostly blades) than a lot of folks here. Yes, they're smaller but not crazy smaller! They're nice but they ain't no better then say something like Mizuno MP-14s. Sorry to burst your bubble if some of you folks are Miura cult followers. They play the same as any other premium blade by other top companies - no difference!

[attachment=2216201:DSCN0094.JPG]

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1399605354' post='9261279']
They're BBs and I'm sure I've owned and played more iron sets (mostly blades) than a lot of folks here. Yes, they're smaller but not crazy smaller! They're nice but they ain't no better then say something like Mizuno MP-14s. Sorry to burst your bubble if some of you folks are Miura cult followers. They play the same as any other premium blade by other top companies - no difference!

[attachment=2216201:DSCN0094.JPG]
[/quote]

Hi Buzzkill,

You definitely have the right alias ;)

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the Baby Blades. I respect your assessment and your personal opinion, and I hear what you are saying. From a purely objective standpoint they might not be that different from other top blades.

But to me, a set of golf clubs is connected with so much more than just facts and figures. A hunk of metal is not a hunk of metal attached to a shaft. I guess, otherwise most of us wouldn’t be on this site. A feeling arises as an emotional response to external as well as internal input.

If a machine could measure “feel”, as e.g. the vibrations sent up through the shaft into the hands and arms, you might get similar data from a MP14 as you would from a baby blade. Ball flight, spin rate, distance, etc, the same. When reviewing hi-end speakers computers “listen”, graphs are drawn and the ability of speakers can be compared. But would you buy a speaker just based on that? I guess you have tested more clubs than most of us here combined, yet you miss the point.

Why do some people buy Pateks instead of Rolex? Although they are both watches and tell time, to different people they are different things entirely. Golf clubs are similar. Aesthetics and image play a huge part in brand and model selection. You do not play golf blind folded. Confidence and the belief that, regardless if it holds true or not, you are holding something special and pleasing to the eye might mean more to some than others. “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” In this sense, there can not exist just one feeling of a golf club, so your feel assessment of the baby blades is no more exact than those of the Miura cult followers, like myself. The bubble is still intact.

I’m sorry that you don’t feel a difference between a Mizuno and a Miura. Just let us live in the illusion that they are, if marginally so, different.

As to the size argument, I’m looking forward to seeing some more comparison pictures of your other blades the same size as the BBs.

They are definetly good blades. I have a friend of mine here that is a Miura dealer and I hit his demos quite a bit. I would love to have a set of 1957s for two reasons. One they hit good and second I was born in 1957. But I cannot afford a set and really they are too beautiful to hit in my opinion. So I guess I will stick with my poor mans Miuras a set of Infiniti TS-10 forged cavity backs which aint no Miura but they hit ALMOST as sweet but not quite

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1399604680' post='9261223']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1399603691' post='9261123']
You sure they are BB's, cause they are nothing like the average blade. TB's, or the mb001 maybe, but the BB's are noticeably smaller.

[b]Should of demoed before purchase[/b]
[/quote]

I'm a solid player - demo'ed not required!
[/quote]Doesn't matter how solid you are. Even the best tour players demo before officially placing it in the bag (check out all the on the range photos)
Sounds like the only bubble being busted is that of your own. But you are right, miura is just another iron, and I agree that there are equivalent if not superior products out there. I really wouldn't understand why you would want something smaller than BB. Either way, great looking set, enjoy!

@therealping

Hi Buzzkill, Just goes to show, that a very nice golf club, performs at a very mediocre level, when ordered on-line, and built by some "hack" that doesn't know the difference between a ferrule and a headcover.
Miura, never intended for His clubs to be bought and sold on-line.
He understands the importance of being fit.

[quote name='Grumpy bumpy' timestamp='1399646438' post='9263127']
Hi Buzzkill, Just goes to show, that a very nice golf club, performs at a very mediocre level, when ordered on-line, and built by some "hack" that doesn't know the difference between a ferrule and a headcover.
Miura, never intended for His clubs to be bought and sold on-line.
He understands the importance of being fit.
[/quote]

You Miura fans are a tough crowd! Again, they're nice clubs but more of a status symbol than the ultimate with regards to performance.

[attachment=2216601:Unknown.jpg]

• 4 years later...

I have now been playing the baby blades for about a month. They are the most honest and best feeling clubs I've ever hit. Built to perfection by Leif Granstad, a Trackman master, based in Stockholm (www.teeview.se), with a shortened Shimada Tour Lite Stiff shaft hardstepped to extra stiff.

Going from the Miura Tournament blades with Poject Xs it only took a few balls to get used to the visual difference (the babies are really THAT much smaller when you first see them). Straight from the start I flushed them, and never looked back. Built to your individual specs, I have the feeling that they are actually easier to hit than the tourneys.

Here a short summary:

Looks: The most beautiful set of irons you'll ever lay eyes on. Classic minimalistic beauties.

Feel: They are soft, but a different kind of soft. They feel much more "solid" than the tournament blades. It is a kind of "hard" soft. Compared to the TBs they fly off the club face with much less effort. You can actually feel that more mass is behind the ball. The satisfaction you get from hitting one in the middle of the sweet spot is indescribable.

Shaft: Extremely accurate. They feel very solid without loosing too much softness. They give you the response that you want without hurting in cold weather. I've only played Project X and Dynamic Gold before. In my experience the Shimadas are better.

Grips: The iomoics look great and have the kind of slight stickiness that I like. They are still white ;) Even in rain they stay sticky.

Playability: Off center hits still feel good, and you don't really see that much loss in distance. But of course the margin for error is smaller, and if you miss it you really miss it.. But to me that only gives me a reason to practice more on my swing. And I'd rather take a few bad shots with these than a hundred "perfect" hits with an oversized waffle iron any day of the week. They are not more difficult to hit than the TBs! Even though the 5 iron is about the same size as the 2 iron in my TB set :D

Workability: It is just so easy to hit the kind of shots you want. Hi/low fade, hi/low draw, punch shots. You name it, the BBs can do it.

Since this is my first review, let me know if I let anything out! Would love to hear some feedback.

If you are thinking of getting a set of Baby blades, don't think, just go and get them. You won't be dissappointed!

Thanks for this VikingGolf.

I ordered a set of MB001s with the same shaft (hard stepped x1).

What a phenomenal feeling club. Don’t know if it’s the head, shaft or a combination of both but the dispersion I was getting was superb at the fitting.

Can not wait to get them out on the course when I pick them up next week.

Do you still play these clubs? I was just wondering as this post is quite old now.

Don't apologize.

This thread is still relevant as is the Baby Blade design which as far as iron design goes is as timeless as any of the classic irons out there.

They become even more of a benchmark now that it seems Miura have changed their business model and are looking to make irons with more modern "tech" in them to make them more appealing to the masses.

We may not see, short of a fully custom head, anything to rival the baby blades again. Certainly not by a major company.

One of the reasons I enjoy owning a set of these.

I wonder if with all the new "free agency" in equipment going on and everyone going rogue with mixed bags, would anyone ever throw a set of these in the bag for a tour event? They look amazing and probably feel better than anything on the market (excluding the Cobra King MB of course :)

How bout a current bag pic? See how them babies are lookin?

I wonder if with all the new "free agency" in equipment going on and everyone going rogue with mixed bags, would anyone ever throw a set of these in the bag for a tour event? They look amazing and probably feel better than anything on the market (excluding the Cobra King MB of course :)

How bout a current bag pic? See how them babies are lookin?

They take such a nice picture I'll always oblige that request! Looking good after a year of use. Standard bag chatter and such but overall they look great. Would love to see them in a tour players bag at some point!

P.S. the KM 008 isn't actually my gamer but I love the headcover so much I'm letting it rest with BBs during the winter. It is the BB putter in my eyes so it fits in well.

Don't apologize.

This thread is still relevant as is the Baby Blade design which as far as iron design goes is as timeless as any of the classic irons out there.

They become even more of a benchmark now that it seems Miura have changed their business model and are looking to make irons with more modern "tech" in them to make them more appealing to the masses.

We may not see, short of a fully custom head, anything to rival the baby blades again. Certainly not by a major company.

One of the reasons I enjoy owning a set of these.

Tournament blades are back on the miuragolf.com web site. I think they were off before, but don't remember for sure. The small blades were off and are still.

However, I picked up my reshafted BBs from my fitter last weekend after the PGA show and he says they're starting production of the small blades again. So we *will* see something to rival the Baby Blades: the Baby Blades!

-K