2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

First Swings Outside in Saskatchewan!

Pingman.S59

I've heard March 26 should be opening day here in Medicine Hat

I like the sound of that, I am going to be down there at the end of the month for a Wedding, I looked at the weather there today and it was +20* !!!!! I wish....... I think I may head out to Redcliff for a round.

What is the best track in the Hat? Also where is the best range in town, as I'm sure I'll want to bang the rust out a bit before I go out.

I just moved here in January, so I have yet to even play a round here yet but this is what the locals have been telling me.

Best course here will be Desert Blume its the first year it will be open and it is set to open April 13, the driving range there was supposed to open last Friday however road construction has delayed the opening by 1 week.

Medicine Hat Golf & CC is the next best course I have heard it is set to open at the end of the month no word on the driving range.

Connaught is the same as MHGCC, I have heard the greens are terriable there.

Red Cliff is supposed to open Mar. 26, no word on the driving range

there are some Par 3 and excutive courses here (Ross Glen, Cotten wood) I have heard these places open first as soon as they can get water on them they open.

Hopefully by the weekend I will have swung a few clubs and I can fill you in more as it will be in the Mid teens to low 20's all week

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know exactly how you're feeling guys!! I live in Quebec, Canada and we just recieved 10 inches of snow... this white stuff is gonna drive me nuts!!! Only 42 days left before my local club opens, but I'll play a tourney in the States on april 27, so 38 days would be more accurate....

I need to swing a club

Jay

Yeah! This one wasn't expected :cheesy: ;)

:blink:

I am crossing my fingers that Medicine Hat Golf & CC will be open by Friday the 30th!! If not I will probably head out to Red Cliff. Either way I have to get some golf in, this snow in SK is killing me, we will not be on the course until probably 20-30 of April.

MHGCC is set to open April 3 if the weather stays the way it has been, the driving range is open

Red cliff is supposed to open next week, the pro was actually wishing he opened this weekend. I just got done playing the par 3 course here Paradise Valley they have 18 holes, the greens were kinda fuzzy but hey for 20 bucks you can't go wrong just feels good to make some full swings

Connaught is suppposed to have the best range in town it has a practice hole as well

Redcliff opened today, its an alright track the greens are still top dressed and the fairways are a little crunchy but when it greens up out here it should be a alright place to play. Back nine is alot easier then the front nine and it has alot of nice views of the rivervalley, if you get to play don't forget your camera

Nice track, but they need to speed up the greens.

However pace of play is always great as they have some pretty militant marshalls...

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

You must be talking about Redtail Landing.

Great course, one of my favs as it rewards good ball striking.

Normally our season begins around the easter long weekend here.

Weather is warm now, but we had a TON of snow this year so I'd imagine it'll take some time to completely melt.

Ya that's it. I get it mixed up with Dakota Dunes in Saskatoon. Have you ever played there? Very nice track. If you get a chance to play it, definately go. You'll love it.

I play out of Coloniale. Been there for the last couple of years now.

Good solid course and a lot of good people to play with.

Pros are great people there as well.

Looked into a lot of places, even the private clubs, and we seem to come back to Coloniale in the end.

Where is Coloniale? What kind of style layout? I really enjoyed Redtail. Last year we played Redtail, Glendale, Leduc G&CC, and another one just outside of the city heading east. Can't remember the name though. Some private course. So many people in the area here in Edmonton, that are on this board, maybe we had better set something up in the First week of June. :) What do you think? I am totally game for that. Golfwrx ROCKS!! :)

By the way guys, we finally got out to play some golf last Saturday. :) It was 22* in Regina and they finally opened up a driving range... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh................ Felt so good to see a ballflight again. Getting excited now to go and actually play a round of golf. Boy, we sure are a certain kind of people us golfin' types.... :) Later, Bubba

Ya that's it. I get it mixed up with Dakota Dunes in Saskatoon. Have you ever played there? Very nice track. If you get a chance to play it, definately go. You'll love it.

Never played at Dakota Dunes, I've only played at the Willows in Saskatoon.

Where is Coloniale? What kind of style layout? I really enjoyed Redtail. Last year we played Redtail, Glendale, Leduc G&CC, and another one just outside of the city heading east. Can't remember the name though. Some private course. So many people in the area here in Edmonton, that are on this board, maybe we had better set something up in the First week of June. :) What do you think? I am totally game for that. Golfwrx ROCKS!! :)

Coloniale is in Beaumont (which is just southeast of the city around 50th street).

If you've played The Bear it's about a 10min drive west of the Bear.

Layout is great, fairly open (not densely tree lined) but the rough can really bite you., I really like the layout myself as the greens are postage stamps so your irons/wedges need to be sharp. Some good challanging holes, but a fair test of golf.

Only thing I don't care for is the housing development...as more and more houses are being built on the course. Not as bad as some courses (e.g. Lewis Estates) but it's getting there.

Shame really as that will be what drives me to another course in a couple years.

I would be game for a round...I tend not to turn down a game.

Early June is Alberta Open qualifying, hopefully my game will be sharp by then...

I hope you don't make me look like a hack then..LOL I have two buddies coming up with me this year. So I guess we would have a foursome. I'll stay in touch anyway for you've been added to "friends list". The guy I take the lessons from works at Riverside in Ed. He usually takes us around to the different courses there. Can't wait to see where we go this year...

Come on down to southern AB and play right now! I'm heading down to Lethbridge on Friday & Saturday to play at Picture Butte. They have 3 courses (that I know of) open right now. Also, the courses in the interior are open too :D

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Come on down to southern AB and play right now! I'm heading down to Lethbridge on Friday & Saturday to play at Picture Butte. They have 3 courses (that I know of) open right now. Also, the courses in the interior are open too :D

Then I would have to book holidays already... I am coming out to Brooks area in around August I know that much. Maybe then? I just don't know if I will be there any sooner.

Never played at Dakota Dunes, I've only played at the Willows in Saskatoon.

Where is Coloniale? What kind of style layout? I really enjoyed Redtail. Last year we played Redtail, Glendale, Leduc G&CC, and another one just outside of the city heading east. Can't remember the name though. Some private course. So many people in the area here in Edmonton, that are on this board, maybe we had better set something up in the First week of June. :D What do you think? I am totally game for that. Golfwrx ROCKS!! :beach:

Coloniale is in Beaumont (which is just southeast of the city around 50th street).

If you've played The Bear it's about a 10min drive west of the Bear.

Layout is great, fairly open (not densely tree lined) but the rough can really bite you., I really like the layout myself as the greens are postage stamps so your irons/wedges need to be sharp. Some good challanging holes, but a fair test of golf.

Only thing I don't care for is the housing development...as more and more houses are being built on the course. Not as bad as some courses (e.g. Lewis Estates) but it's getting there.

Shame really as that will be what drives me to another course in a couple years.

I would be game for a round...I tend not to turn down a game.

Early June is Alberta Open qualifying, hopefully my game will be sharp by then...

Hey hbear, I just remembered what the name of that course was. Belvedere? I think that was it. I think it was a private one, can't really remember. But it was too early to see if it would have been a nice course or not. Seemed OK.

I got Tee times for Friday and Saturday here in the Hat Saturday is not looking so good though.

I've played Belvedere last year seemed like a farily good track but I would never pay for membership there. the driving range is terriable, I played there in June and one of the greens on the front 9 was still closed completly, They used to hold the Oilmans tourney there but it has since been moved to Windemere

I've heard of Dakota Dunes I am heading up to Stoon later in the summer to visit some friends and I am hoping to play it then

if there is enough interest we should set up a Golfwrx Alberta outing. make it a weekend and play a few courses

Yeah Belvedere is a private course east of the city. Never played it so I can't comment.

It's an old course so them membership is going to have to put some money into it.

As for the Windemere, I like the course....lots of trees, but the Oilmen's is no longer being held there. (Membership voted against it)

At least that is my understanding.

I'm also in Edmonton, however, I go away for two weeks at a time for work, then I'm off for 7 days. So I'm up for whenever anyone wants to play a round. I normally play Northern Bear and The Ranch. Just send me a PM if and when you're planning on going out and I'll let you know if it's during my week off.

It seems like everyone is in the Edmonton to Lethbridge corridor. The Central place there would be half an hour north of Calgary. But since there isn't any place worth playing around there, Innisfail sounds like a good idea. I've never played it, but I hear its a great track. You really have to be striping the fairway if you want to score well.

There are a ton of great courses in Calgary as well. You have Heritage Pointe in the south, which is a great course, but over priced a bit. There is a new one, only a couple of years old called Scirroco on the south end as well. About 5 Km south of Spruce Meadows show jumping facility. Great track. I played it last year, and you get punished if you can't keep it in the short stuff.

It seems like everyone is in the Edmonton to Lethbridge corridor. The Central place there would be half an hour north of Calgary. But since there isn't any place worth playing around there, Innisfail sounds like a good idea. I've never played it, but I hear its a great track. You really have to be striping the fairway if you want to score well.

There are a ton of great courses in Calgary as well. You have Heritage Pointe in the south, which is a great course, but over priced a bit. There is a new one, only a couple of years old called Scirroco on the south end as well. About 5 Km south of Spruce Meadows show jumping facility. Great track. I played it last year, and you get punished if you can't keep it in the short stuff.

I'm up for Innisfail. Never been there either. Just need to set a date I guess. So how many want to play? Send me a PM if you are interested guys. We'll see how many we have. Just keep in mind, I have never tried hooking this up before so bear with me.. I'll keep everyone posted in this thread. Sounds like first week in June?? How far is Innisfail from Edmonton?