2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Epon 703

TRC723

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you that I was fitted at Novo Golf in NY 3 weeks ago for Callaway Apex's and Ping I25's. The clubfitter tossed a new Epon AF-703 into the comparison (mainly because he is an Epon dealer) and after all the trackman numbers were all said and done, the Epon was 1st in almost every category using the same Recoil 95 Prototype shaft in all 3. If it wasn't for the $3300 custom price tag he tried to bang me over the head for I would have loved to purchased them. I have been searching for a used set on Ebay and GolfWRX everyday since....

703 has no tungsten weights due to the strong lofts and perimeter weighting.
these are basically 1 club longer than the previous 702.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

[quote name='Spoon' timestamp='1400486709' post='9322309']
703 has no tungsten weights due to the strong lofts and perimeter weighting.
these are basically 1 club longer than the previous 702.
[/quote]

I hit these the other day and they are crazy long. Compared to the 702, the look is great, the sound is better, the top line is thinner and there's less visual offset.

It's everything the 702 wanted to be and then some. Definitely a clear winner for Epon.

[quote name='ALLEYCAT740' timestamp='1400142061' post='9299033']
I can tell you that I was fitted at Novo Golf in NY 3 weeks ago for Callaway Apex's and Ping I25's. The clubfitter tossed a new Epon AF-703 into the comparison (mainly because he is an Epon dealer) and after all the trackman numbers were all said and done, the Epon was 1st in almost every category using the same Recoil 95 Prototype shaft in all 3. If it wasn't for the $3300 custom price tag he tried to bang me over the head for I would have loved to purchased them. I have been searching for a used set on Ebay and GolfWRX everyday since....
[/quote]

Neither the APEX, nor the i25 can compete with the 703. No chance.

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the 703's. I played only one round with them.

Initial impressions:

Length:

The length is truly unreal. My playing partner and I were booth 190 into a medium-ish wind. We hit irons similar lengths, maybe I'm five yards longer. He hit an xhot 21 degree hybrid mid green. I hit a 7 iron all the way to the back of the pin. The greatest feeling shot I've ever hilt. Hard to explain the feeling and sound, it's different but the ball just explodes off the club and keeps going.

On another hole, in a spot I'd be contemplating a five or six iron, I hit the seven over the green and out of bounds. I then hit the eight to mid green.

It looks like my iron length went from:

5 Iron: 180-187 to 200-215
7 iron: 155-160 to 180-190
9 iron: 135-140 to 150-160

I was playing Mizuno JPX 800 Pro's and Titleist wedges. The Epon's have a much wider sole which will take some getting used to. I seriously chunked a couple of 100 yard isn shots which I normally would never do but hoping it had to do with the weight difference rather than the sole.

We'll see. I'm a 7.5 index and am concerned this wide sole, game improvement iron will take away my limited ability to work the ball, completely. The course I play on has tight fairways so that's not necessarily a good thing for a wide sole club.

But hybrids have been the weakest part of my game. I always hook them. Now, I have the five iron which at worst, I can block a bit right 200 plus yards. That problem is officially solved and then some. Whatever happens, the five, six and seven iron will be in my bag from here to eternity. If you can afford the high price tag and hit your irons better than the hybrids, consider the Epon irons.

I'll check back in once I get a dozen rounds in and develop a feel for the higher irons.

That's awesome--it looks like you're going to gain some distance as the Epons are a little stronger in terms of lofts (3/4/3 degrees respecitively for the clubs you ID'd).

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I don't see how you fill gaps in the wedges at those lengths ... you'd need the gap wedge and take half swings... lol.

I played the 701s and although I liked them, they were a tad clunky looking ... and that wide sole...

Prefer a narrow sole with lots of bounce.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='Chase07470' timestamp='1407957106' post='9926029']

Initial impressions:

Length:

The length is truly unreal. My playing partner and I were booth 190 into a medium-ish wind. We hit irons similar lengths, maybe I'm five yards longer. He hit an xhot 21 degree hybrid mid green. I hit a 7 iron all the way to the back of the pin. The greatest feeling shot I've ever hilt. Hard to explain the feeling and sound, it's different but the ball just explodes off the club and keeps going.

On another hole, in a spot I'd be contemplating a five or six iron, I hit the seven over the green and out of bounds. I then hit the eight to mid green.

I was playing Mizuno JPX 800 Pro's and Titleist wedges. The Epon's have a much wider sole which will take some getting used to. I seriously chunked a couple of 100 yard isn shots which I normally would never do but hoping it had to do with the weight difference rather than the sole.

We'll see. I'm a 7.5 index and am concerned this wide sole, game improvement iron will take away my limited ability to work the ball, completely. The course I play on has tight fairways so that's not necessarily a good thing for a wide sole club.

But hybrids have been the weakest part of my game. I always hook them. Now, I have the five iron which at worst, I can block a bit right 200 plus yards. That problem is officially solved and then some. Whatever happens, the five, six and seven iron will be in my bag from here to eternity. If you can afford the high price tag and hit your irons better than the hybrids, consider the Epon irons.

I'll check back in once I get a dozen rounds in and develop a feel for the higher irons.
[/quote]

What shafts in your mizuno's? Do you think it is all the club or shaft have something to do with it?

Under construction....

Thankfully someone talked me out of the 703s. Some bills have hit and I'm so glad I didn't go there. I'm very happy with the 503s and the 302s of course. Quite honestly the 503s are quite long for me and more forgiveness than I need. Perhaps a 401 would be nice...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1408616313' post='9978375']

Initial impressions:

Length:

[/quote]

What shafts in your mizuno's? Do you think it is all the club or shaft have something to do with it?
[/quote]

I have Project X 5.5 shafts in my Mizuno's. The shafts William from Novo golf put in the Epon's has no brand label, I'll ask him next time I'm up there.

It's been a month playing with these and while I spent a small fortune on them, I can honestly say, I'm happy I did. Today I had a 194 shot into the wind. Before Epon, I'm hitting a 19 degree hybrid...a club that I don't like and don't hit consistently. I took out the five iron, hit a low cut. It had to clear a green side bunker and I'm thinking, will it get there and then, Epon...it will get there. Sure enough, 12 foot birdie putt.

I could go on and on. It's almost unfair. I''m always two clubs lower than guys I'm playing with, where I used to even if not one higher. I hit sky high 9 irons 155, cut six irons 185-190.

The other thing is how much easier it is to hit different trajectories. Part of it is I've worked on it but these clubs are workable and forgiving, way more so than the Mizuno's.

Now, William at Nova Golf is a renowned fitter and I got the Mizuno's fit at a place that was less sophisticated. The shafts in these are obviously better. But you can feel the Endo steel when you hilt it. Once you hit them, you will know that feel. Hard to describe except to say it's firmer and more solid than any iron I'd hit before.

So, overall, a lot of money, north of $3K. I'm an avid golfer, it's what I do whenever I can. I belong to a club and will probably spend $100K on dues and other golf expenses in the four years I'll hit these. So, in thinking of it that way, it's 3% of the budget and makes the experience a heck of a lot better.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Chase07470' timestamp='1410640870' post='10112575']

Initial impressions:

Length:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have Project X 5.5 shafts in my Mizuno's. The shafts William from Novo golf put in the Epon's has no brand label, I'll ask him next time I'm up there.

It's been a month playing with these and while I spent a small fortune on them, I can honestly say, I'm happy I did. Today I had a 194 shot into the wind. Before Epon, I'm hitting a 19 degree hybrid...a club that I don't like and don't hit consistently. I took out the five iron, hit a low cut. It had to clear a green side bunker and I'm thinking, will it get there and then, Epon...it will get there. Sure enough, 12 foot birdie putt.

I could go on and on. It's almost unfair. I''m always two clubs lower than guys I'm playing with, where I used to even if not one higher. I hit sky high 9 irons 155, cut six irons 185-190.

The other thing is how much easier it is to hit different trajectories. Part of it is I've worked on it but these clubs are workable and forgiving, way more so than the Mizuno's.

Now, William at Nova Golf is a renowned fitter and I got the Mizuno's fit at a place that was less sophisticated. The shafts in these are obviously better. But you can feel the Endo steel when you hilt it. Once you hit them, you will know that feel. Hard to describe except to say it's firmer and more solid than any iron I'd hit before.

So, overall, a lot of money, north of $3K. I'm an avid golfer, it's what I do whenever I can. I belong to a club and will probably spend $100K on dues and other golf expenses in the four years I'll hit these. So, in thinking of it that way, it's 3% of the budget and makes the experience a heck of a lot better.
[/quote]

well its been months since you replied, wondering how you fared with the wider sole? how are you liking the shorter irons?

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

• 10 months later...

[quote name='Spoon' timestamp='1422420142' post='10832811']
[quote name='Chase07470' timestamp='1410640870' post='10112575']

Initial impressions:

Length:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

well its been months since you replied, wondering how you fared with the wider sole? how are you liking the shorter irons?
[/quote]
It's been over a year! Just checked back in. I love these irons and someone is going to have to rip them out of my bag before I'll put something else in. Went from a 7.8 to a 4 index all on iron play. I will say, if you're a sweeper, forget about this iron. These things DIG. You have to hit down on it and if you do, the ball explodes. I guess i got used to the wide sole as I never think about it. I love the distance, I have hit other irons that feel better through the turf but don't go as high or as far so I live with less than optimum turf contact feel.
]

I had a fitting with William at Novo golf, and after hitting many different club combinations, the Epon 703 was the longest and most consistent. But the $2200 price tag was a little too much to swallow. I'm sure they're worth it, but I'll need to start saving. I hate to settle but the new Mizuno's are catching my eye.

[quote name='snick59' timestamp='1451319683' post='12771686']
I had a fitting with William at Novo golf, and after hitting many different club combinations, the Epon 703 was the longest and most consistent. But the $2200 price tag was a little too much to swallow. I'm sure they're worth it, but I'll need to start saving. I hate to settle but the new Mizuno's are catching my eye.
[/quote]

Do you change clubs a lot? If so look for a used set or save up for a new set. I was flipping 3-4 sets a year until I found my epon gamers which have been in the bag for 3 years.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1451320646' post='12771738']
[/quote]

Do you change clubs a lot? If so look for a used set or save up for a new set. I was flipping 3-4 sets a year until I found my epon gamers which have been in the bag for 3 years.
[/quote]
No I don't, right now I'm playing Taylormade R 11's, regular flex shafts, When I first bought them 2 yrs ago I had a 6I swing speed of 75mph, now, my Trackman results are average 89.5. I'm wondering if re shafting is a cheaper option or just get new clubs. I practice a lot but only play once a week or once every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. Just don't know if it's worth spending the money.

[quote name='snick59' timestamp='1451324509' post='12771962']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No I don't, right now I'm playing Taylormade R 11's, regular flex shafts, When I first bought them 2 yrs ago I had a 6I swing speed of 75mph, now, my Trackman results are average 89.5. I'm wondering if re shafting is a cheaper option or just get new clubs. I practice a lot but only play once a week or once every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. Just don't know if it's worth spending the money.
[/quote]

In that case I'd probably pass on dropping that much coin. Maybe wait a year or two and grab second hand. While I love my sets they aren't magic. Like most used clubs they can be found for cheap relative to original price. GL!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1451324779' post='12771984']
[quote name='snick59' timestamp='1451324509' post='12771962']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

In that case I'd probably pass on dropping that much coin. Maybe wait a year or two and grab second hand. While I love my sets they aren't magic. Like most used clubs they can be found for cheap relative to original price. GL!
[/quote]
That's why I was thinking about the Mizunos.... it seems like a cheaper option.

• 4 weeks later...

That's why I was thinking about the Mizunos.... it seems like a cheaper option.

I decided to go to the Pga superstore for the tour van fitting, which turned out to be very informative, a guy named Jon spent over an hour and a half. We settled on Mizuno JPX 850 forged with the KBS C taper R flex( $999.00). The clubs felt great. I even hit them better than the Epons ($2200.) My question is....with all the talk of MOI , shaft purring , balancing etc that Bill from Novo was talking about, would I trust the PGA store to do a good job building these clubs, It seems there's a difference of opinion on all of this stuff. Some won't buy without and some say they can't tell the difference. I just don't think the $1200 difference in price is justified