2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Taking a backseat to golf

Tingting

Hey guys,

Just wondering has there been a point in your life that golf has taken precedence over a certain situation in your life ie 1. divorce because there is no time with your family 2. broken up with a girlfriend because she wants you to hang out more often 3. decided to not take a certain job because work required more time. I am asking this because I am at that point of my life. I have decided not to get an advance degree because it would require me to basically quit golfing for the next 2 1/2 years.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup...golf took a back seat in my life about 5 years ago when my family needed my help in starting up a new business...i left the golf industry for about a year and then came back after the business was up and running and was running smoothly...golf will always be there,so just do whats right for you...at least that way after you get your degree and get a higher paying job im sure you can afford to devote a little more time on this great game!

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

yup...golf took a back seat in my life about 5 years ago when my family needed my help in starting up a new business...i left the golf industry for about a year and then came back after the business was up and running and was running smoothly...golf will always be there,so just do whats right for you...at least that way after you get your degree and get a higher paying job im sure you can afford to devote a little more time on this great game!

Actually, I think the original poster means the exact opposite! ;)

atchan72, only you can decide what priorities you want to focus on in life. Sometimes marriages fail over some root, fundamental differences between couples that were overlooked in the early goings. Sometimes people decide that they don't want to persue a career because the don't want to have to commit their lives to their jobs, risking personal relationships. But never, ever, ever would I prioritize a hobby over meaningful relationships or future security. I took a long-ish break from golf when my daughter was born. I was busy with work and school as well, so didn't have any time to devote to my game and slid from a single digit to a vanity 15 handicapper. Never once did I regret my decision, but then again, I'm a much better dad than I am a golfer. :blink:

I agree with ifixclubs--golf will always be there. It's one thing if you're getting ready to sign up for Q-school. Only then will you get as much back from the game as you put in...and that's only if you're good enough.

:hi:

I have decided not to get an advance degree because it would require me to basically quit golfing for the next 2 1/2 years.

The absolute most amount of golf that I ever played was during graduate school! While Stanford, Duke, Yale and Cornell may be great schools, they have better golf courses and you will never ever get a better membership deal!

Hey guys,

Just wondering has there been a point in your life that golf has taken precedence over a certain situation in your life ie 1. divorce because there is no time with your family 2. broken up with a girlfriend because she wants you to hang out more often 3. decided to not take a certain job because work required more time. I am asking this because I am at that point of my life. I have decided not to get an advance degree because it would require me to basically quit golfing for the next 2 1/2 years.

First of all you won't be really quitting golf, you said will be "basically" quitting golf whic translates to you won't be palying as much as you like. You can challenge yourself to fit golf into your schedule during that time. You know will do it. It is really an easy decision. 2 and 1/2 years is a short period of time to give up anything to invest in your future.

There is an old saying, "do the things you don't like to do, so that you get to do the things you like to do". It is all about choices. We can't twist your arm and make you choose, but it sounds like this decision could define part of who you are, choose wisely.

I think it is really sad to think that a person would pick golf as a priority over their family or education. Now if you were hoping to make a career out of golf, then that's a different story concerning education, but not with family. I love golf. I am now a 2 handicap. I chip in the house, there's a putter always laying out with some balls to putt on the carpet. I just joined a great country club. But I'm about to have a baby, and I know my wife will really need my help, plus, I probably will want to stay with my little girl more than play golf. It's a sacrifice that I don't have to think twice about, because I love my wife and my child, and would never consider a game more important. Plus, golf has been there for hundreds of years, and will be there when I'm able to play again.

I almost gave up golf to continue to be super sexy, but realized the world of modeling was just too cut throat for me... Seriously, you might not be able to play as much golf as you would like, but if I can work full time, get an MBA, and play golf I'm thinking you can squeeze in a round on the weekend. Priorities are always going to change for you and the amount of golf you play will fluctuate, but in the end it's just a game and there are certainly more important things to your future well being. Hell, putting it on the back burner may mean more rounds in the future!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I know what you're talking about here. Golf is basically an all-consuming wildfire in the minds of some people...me included. If I'm not on the course I'm on the practice green. If I'm not there I'm here. If I'm not here I'm rolling it on the carpet. If I'm not doing that I'm in the garage screwing around with clubs, grinders, polishers, etc. If I'm not doing that I'm thinking about ways to improve.

Not everyone is as wrapped up as I (we) am (are). You can't expect those who are not to understand. It's just like I cannot wrap my mind around the habit of smoking. I just can't imagine what compulsion makes rational, thinking people inhale toxins that are proven to KILL YOU. It is the same.

I'm at a point right now where my wife is having to come to grips with the fact that I will be on the course. Golf is a huge part of my life. Will I ever be a professional - No. Do I have delusions of grandeur - No. Does golf give me more joy than almost anything else in my life - Yes. And I know I am not alone. This website stands testament to that fact.

JDM

Dude, you need to take a step back and re-asses your priorities. Anyone who ruins a marriage, looses a girlfriend, passes up an opportunity to improve the quality of their life beacause they need to squeeze in a few more rounds needs to have their head checked. I'm going back to school for my MBA next fall and if I have to give up golf for two and a half years (which I highly doubt) then I will gladly do it. I would much rather take a break for a little while so I can increase my yearly salary in order to afford myself the opportunity to play more golf down the road.

But hey, if golf is that important to you then I hope it's worth giving up all the other good stuff in life.

TM Sim2 9.0* Ventus Blue 6X

TM Sim2 15* GD AD DI 7X

Titleist 818 H2 20* Tensi White 100HY X

Titleist T100S 5-GW DG X100

Vokey SM9 52.08

Vokey SM9 56.08

Vokey SM9 60.08

TM Spider

Titleist AVX

Golf is needed for me.. I gave it up for a number of years in college because basically I had no time or money.. but I knew getting a degree was more important. 2.5 years is no biggie, visit the range from time to time and get that advanced degree. They will be plenty of golfing opportunities once that is done.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I almost gave up golf to continue to be super sexy, but realized the world of modeling was just too cut throat for me...

Me Too! but my problem was I couldn't turn to the left.

;)

That left turn is a b!#^ch!! I held eye contact for an uncomfortably long time when I got to the end of the runway.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Started golfing when I was 13.

after a few years I discovered I could afford to golf or to date. The girls won and I'm not complaining.

Started golfing again while in the service and staioned in Hawaii but gave it up again in my mid 20's

because I now was married and had a family. Again no regrets.

Picked it back up in my mid 30's and am now in my mid 50's.

Just remember that golf will always be there. Other things in life you usually get one shot at.

I used to be one of those pyscho bike racing guys (amateur, mind you). We call them career Cat3s here. Everything revolved around racing, training, etc. Well, when I started dating the girl I decided I wanted to marry, I realized how much of a tool I was to put cycling as such an important thing in my life. Even so, I hadn't sacrificed school or my career for it, just nearly everything else! I have since toned down, stopped being obsessed, get to enjoy life and time with my wife more, I now golf (which would have gotten in the way of cycling before). My life is far richer and more interesting than if I had continued to sacrifice everything for a hobby.

Starting playing at age 2. Played through high scchool and played Division I in college. Graduated from college and played three rounds over the next two and a half years for various reasons. Took the game back up at 25 and five years later I am stepping away again to be with my family more. This time I will still play once a week, but I getting out of the competitive side of the game.

This is my story, When I was a Jr. I worked for 3 seasons at a course as a "Cart Kid." I was in quite a few junior tournaments and golf pretty much everyday (needless to say it was a huge part of my life). Through out my life I was always wanted to do something in either the golf industry or in Policing. In grade 12 I chose Policing as I figured it would be more stable financially.

I went to Sheridan College and took a program in policing. The first summer after the first two semesters of college I went from being a junior to an adult and could not get a membership anywhere because it was just to expensive. I ended up playing maybe 20 rounds that summer and was it was huge change after playing so much as a junior. Now I know what everyone is thinking "that's life" or "Wait until you get married" because I have heard it all.

Once I graduated from college I got a job in Security making a great wage. That next summer I only played about 10 rounds and really started to miss the game. I could also see some sever changes in my game. When working in Security I started to work a lot with the police. Hearing stories and what they think of there job and having a family as a Police Officer I started to second-guess my self and started to realize that it isn't the job for me. I also started to realize that my real passion was in golf, not just the playing it but just being around it if it's sales, playing, teaching, organizing, corporate, demo days anything and everything. People have always said to me and I am sure you have all heard it before, that you need to take your passion and incorporate it into your work and golf really is my passion. I have worked hard the last two years (Once I started to realize what I really wanted to do) in getting my prerequisites to apply to the Golf Management program at Humber and Niagara and have not looked back. I really have to say that it's great having people around you, at your work, in your home and in your life encouraging you to strive for something you love. Now I don't know exactly know what I want to do in the game but I know one thing and that is I want to be a part of it.

I also know that the there are not a lot of jobs out there that pay great but you can ask most pros and a lot will agree they didn’t get in the industry to make money. If you love the different aspects of golf and like dealing with a public then you should like the golf industry. That is my feeling anyway.