2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Why do so many carry so much stuff in their bags?

MCDavis

I see a lot of posts that talk about all the "stuff" they carry in their golf bags, and I don't understand it. I keep balls, tees, band aids, a club brush, and my rain hood in my bag all the time. Other than those items (and my clubs), I can't find a need for anything else to stay in my bag. But some of you guys could live out of your golf bag for a week!

Average round takes 4 hours, and generally you're never more than 15 minutes from the clubhouse or your car. Weather channel gives the local forecast every 10 minutes. So, why do you need sweaters, rain suits, wind breakers, shoe spikes, spike tools, and whatever else extra you have in there?

I do understand that you might add an umbrella or necessary clothing for a specific round, but do they have to stay in the bag year round?

Not meaning to be rude to anybody, I just don't understand. I've been playing for 30 years and have just never had the need, even on golf trips.

Thanks for any input!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MCDavis, do you walk most of your rounds? If so, then it is easy to see why you don't have much "stuff" in your bag. If you don't walk and you ride for most of your rounds, then why wouldn't you carry all of that stuff? I carry a bunch of items in my bag all of the time................like, a pill bottle that has multiple aspirin, motrin, tylenol, etc.... band-aides, rain gloves, rain hood, sunscreen, coins for ball markers, divot tool, 6-10 golf balls, tees, I have even been carrying a bottle of OFF because of the mosqitos.

When I walk, I simply empty out the stuff I don't think that I will need for that day. It is easier to take it out then it is to remember to put it in. I have actually been caught out in the rain without any gear because I forgot to put it.

THe only extra stuff I carry aside from you spoke of is "the holy roll" in case of an emergency and extra socks and extra glove...

I've had people laugh at me about the holy roll..till we're way in the back of the course with no portapot around and someone's breakfast is creaping up! LOL...Then I went from being a Tool to Being the Savior!

SiD

MCDavis, do you walk most of your rounds? If so, then it is easy to see why you don't have much "stuff" in your bag. If you don't walk and you ride for most of your rounds, then why wouldn't you carry all of that stuff? I carry a bunch of items in my bag all of the time................like, a pill bottle that has multiple aspirin, motrin, tylenol, etc.... band-aides, rain gloves, rain hood, sunscreen, coins for ball markers, divot tool, 6-10 golf balls, tees, I have even been carrying a bottle of OFF because of the mosqitos.

When I walk, I simply empty out the stuff I don't think that I will need for that day. It is easier to take it out then it is to remember to put it in. I have actually been caught out in the rain without any gear because I forgot to put it.

Actually, I just started back walking/carrying. I'm looking for a push cart now so that this season I can do all 3 (walk, push, and ride) depending on course and conditions. But, even when I've gone on golf trips and we've ridden all trip, I never carry much.

Your list isn't much different from mine. I'm really referring to carrying changes of clothing, extra sweaters, rain suits, wind suits, 3-4 dozen extra balls, etc. in the bag all the time. That's the kind of stuff that makes me go "Why?".

ripsid, I've seen others carry the "holy roll", and I've seen it come in handy!

Good Topic! Funny...I never thought much about what was in my golf bag until last year when my brother and I were taking a trip to Bandon Dunes. They say..."Golf as it was meant to be"...and I figured I should be carrying my bag rather than pulling it on a cart...you know...makes a better picture at sunset than me pulling...so I went manic on "lightness." Again...I had never thought of it before...lazy I guess. Well..when I first "emptied" my regular golf bag...I realized I had about 100 tees, 25 balls (most of which I would never play...ones found on the course)...5 pounds of change...a dozen pencils, 3 tubes of sunscreen, etc...

After that, I bought a superlight bag (Sun Mountain 2.5 lb) and decided I would never again carry more than 6 balls, about 10 tees, etc. What a joy it is now to walk, rather than pull (although I do have a speed cart that I use in the winter which is great for when I carry the rain / cold / layers / etc...).

Of course...I bet if I looked at my bag today...it probably has more than 6 balls, 10 tees, etc..... :-)..time for a cleaning tonight!

In my bag I have:

6-8 balls

30ish tees

divot repair tool

a few ball markers

a towel

some change

my cell phone

water

I take the cell phone and water out when I'm done golfing. I really try to keep my bag as light as I can with still have the stuff I want/need in there.It just depends on the day. I don't carry rain gear because I don't have any but would only bring it on days when it's raining. I can't stand a heavy bag. I have a couple friends who carry around like 40 balls and I have no idea why. They might lose 1 a round. I haven't thought about extra socks...but that's a good idea.

It's kinda like I pack for vacations. I would hate to be there and wished I had brought something...so I just take it. The usual garbage...balls, tees, ballmarker/divot fixer, keys/cel phone, sunblock lotion. I also like to have raingear (you just never know around here), extra shoes sometimes (depends on where I'm going afterward), maybe a change of clothes, soft cooler with beer, travel humidor with cigars/lighter/cutter, maybe even a bottle of wine or two. I like a big bag with lots of sh!t...love to see the bag guys face when he goes to load it :blink: .

hadn't really thought about the "holy roll" but it ain't a bad idea either...kinda like the weather...you just never know ;) .

I carry alot when i am not playing but after watching the Weather report i will remove things not needed.

6 balls

50 tees

Water bottle

Divot tool

3 markers and line drawing tool

asprin, bandaids, sunscreen

Water proof jacket

Water Proof pants

Rain hood

Range finder

hanging watch

towel

Now if it isnt going to rain i will take out the rain hood, jacket and pants. Leave them in the truck. In the summer unless it is a tournament i will take out the Pants. I wear shorts to play and i am more worried about my upper body then lower.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Actually, I just started back walking/carrying. I'm looking for a push cart now so that this season I can do all 3 (walk, push, and ride) depending on course and conditions. But, even when I've gone on golf trips and we've ridden all trip, I never carry much.

Your list isn't much different from mine. I'm really referring to carrying changes of clothing, extra sweaters, rain suits, wind suits, 3-4 dozen extra balls, etc. in the bag all the time. That's the kind of stuff that makes me go "Why?".

ripsid, I've seen others carry the "holy roll", and I've seen it come in handy!

Speaking of push carts, has anyone seen the addon seats they have now for the motorized push carts? I think I saw them in Golf Digest. Im not sure what I think of that....

I carry an umbrella and windshirt in my bag because it is easier to just keep it there than find a place to store the stuff. I also have typical stuff like ball marks and divot tools of various kiinds in the bag.

If I walked I'd travel lighter, but in Orlando you aren't going to easily find a place to walk....

I see a lot of posts that talk about all the "stuff" they carry in their golf bags, and I don't understand it. I keep balls, tees, band aids, a club brush, and my rain hood in my bag all the time. Other than those items (and my clubs), I can't find a need for anything else to stay in my bag. But some of you guys could live out of your golf bag for a week!

Average round takes 4 hours, and generally you're never more than 15 minutes from the clubhouse or your car. Weather channel gives the local forecast every 10 minutes. So, why do you need sweaters, rain suits, wind breakers, shoe spikes, spike tools, and whatever else extra you have in there?

I do understand that you might add an umbrella or necessary clothing for a specific round, but do they have to stay in the bag year round?

Not meaning to be rude to anybody, I just don't understand. I've been playing for 30 years and have just never had the need, even on golf trips.

Thanks for any input!

Actually, I do both. I have two bags. Ping Hoofer II for carrying and a Ping Discover for push cart and riding. If I have any concerns about the weather, I know to use the cart bag because anything I need is inside.

Carry Bag - Enough balls for the round, tees, divot tool, ball market, mosquito wipes (lighter then a bottle of spray), bottle of motrin.

Cart/Pushcart Bag: Same as above plus: raingloves, rainsuit, in the fall/early spring I keep a fleece top and winter gloves, extra dozen balls, bottle of mosquito spray, motrin, socks, extra glove, yardage books from my regular courses, rulebook.

I almost always walk, and I tend to have what I conside the necessities:

6-10 balls (I'm cutting it down since I now might only lose 1 a round)

small tube of sunscreen

some advil and aleve

couple extra gloves

tees, ballmark tools, and a couple ball markers

umbrella, rain cover, and windjacket if the weather is supposed to be bad

that's about it ;)

Well, here's my pile of junk and why I carry them, irregardless of if I walk or ride.

Athletic Tape (for blisters) - I'll be a DEAD man if I wear new shoes without carrying tape.

Ballmarkers (2) - Hey, these don't weigh much, and it's nice to have an extra in case a playing partner needs one.

Balls (10-12) - I’m a hack, sometimes lose balls. I've dropped my quantity to 8-10 though.

Bug Spray - Here in Texas, some mosquitos will eat you alive. A must have in the summer.

Business Card with Emergency contact info - Just in case of emergency

Cleaning Brush - Sorry, I gotta keep the clubs clean. I only use this at the driving range or in VERY muddy conditions.

Cleats (2 spares) - Don't weight much, and it's nice to have a spare.

Chap-Stick - A must have IMO.

Crackers (for a light snack) - I always carry snacks in the bag, but ONLY enough to last for 1 round.

Electrolyte/Protein Drink (Endurox R4 or Cytomax)

Energy Gel (Gu) - I always carry snacks in the bag, but ONLY enough to last for 1 round.

Gloves (2-3) - Gotta rotate gloves in the hot sticky summer!

Pen and spare Pencil - What else do you write your score with?

Pitch mark Repair tool - You fix the greens, right!

Rain Hood for bag - Sometimes it rains on you.

Raisins - I always carry snacks in the bag, but ONLY enough to last for 1 round.

Rules of Golf - I don't always carry the rules when walking, but my cart bag has a rulebook.

Scorecard - My brain is too small to remember everything. I gotta write down my score!

Sunblock - A must-have in sunny Texas

Tees (both long and "regular") - How else would you tee your ball?

Towel - Another must have to keep the clubs and hands dry & clean.

Tylenol (or Advil) - My lower back will act up occasionally, I need this to calm my back down.

Utility Tool (knife, cleat remover, etc.) - Hey it's small, and occasionally useful.

Watch - To ensure I make my tee time on time.

Depending on the Weather: - I'll only carry this stuff if the weather is threatening.

Jacket/Vest/Pullover

Polartec headgear (which can be used as a hat, headband, or neckwarmer)

Umbrella

Wet Weather Gloves

Walking or riding the stuff in my bag doesn't change. Although recently I have decided to start bringing my own lunch to the course, saves a good $5-10 per round.. so heres the list:

Tees (bag of around 30)

Balls (1 sleeve for the round and about 10 that I find around the course and keep in the bag for the putting greens)

3 gloves (2 new, 1 old just to mix things up sometimes)

Marker (I use random change so a few coins in the bag)

Towel (clean the babys when they get dirty)

Cameron Repair tool (duh)

Sunblock (I don't want cancer)

Chapstick w/sunblock (keeps the lips in good condition)

2 bottles of water (brought from home and refilled at the jugs around the course)

And the things that change:

Raincoat (if I look outside before leaving and it looks like rain it goes in the bag)

iPod (not to be trendy but if I end up playing alone I like to rock out on the course)

I always walk...either with or without a push cart, dependent on the heat/humidity. A push cart really helps when it is 90 degrees and 70% humidity.

In my bag:

Pocket 1: 6-12 balls and also varying numbrs of tees (I start with a bag of 100 and work my way down)

Pocket 2: Divot tool / ball marker, pencils pens, Sharpie, small (2x3?) pad of paper, and an extra glove.

Pocket 3: This holds my wallet, keys and cell phone during the round, if I don't pocket them in my pants / shorts.

Pocket 4: Small sandwich bag with band aids, alcohol swabs, aspirin and such, it folds flat. Tube of suntan lotion.

Pocket 5: The long pocket has a change of socks (my feet sweat a lot), an extra towel (one hangs from my bag with a brush hooked to it) my rain gear if needed (I usually carry it) and the rain cover for my clubs.

The whole shebang weights 15-17#...I have graphite shafts in my 5-PW so this probably helps.

I can't think of a single item above that I don't use once every round or two, with exception of the band aids, which are nice to have if you develop a blister or something.

It all depends on the day but here is what is normally in my bag:

2-3 dozen balls

tees

Shorts

Shirts

Spare Shoes

Socks

Rain Gear

Extra Gloves

Couple of Beers

Band aids

Asprin

Sunblock

Towell

Cell Phone

Water

Car Keys

And then snack food.

Needless to say...I don't walk

-CHRI-

Is there any space left over for your clubs. :) 2-3 dozen balls is an amazing amount to have in the bag.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

"Stuff" in my bag:

clubs

gloves

balls (i could have 2 dozen at a time)

tees, ball markers, divot repair tools

masking tape (put it on the face of my clubs at the range)

some Nature Valley Oats and Honey bars

A bottled beverage (soda, water, gatorade)

toilet paper to go

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"