2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Review of new King Cobra XX Speed Driver

sandy

Played a few rounds and hit some buckets of balls with a new Cobra XX Speed Driver. Performance wise and distance Cobra has done it again for $299. The new series drivers are rated by ball speed and have lofts, weighting, face progression, face angles, and shafts to match. This club is an XX Speed in 8.5 degrees (The XX Speed is the head the Pinnacle Long Drive Team will be using this year). On the sole it says Milled Titanium 460 cc. On the heel of the club it says XX Speed Range 165+ mph (ball speed). The shaft is a yellow gold Fujikura Vista Tour 65 in X flex, high kick. The first thing that is striking is a shape departure for Cobra. The scallops are still there and the club is entirely black but they are obviously trying to shape the head to maximize the MOI. It isn't a bizarre shape like the FT-3 or the Sasquatch but definitely has more heel shape/bulge than in the past. The other thing that is noticeable is this club has the most face progression I've ever seen in a metal club (almost persimmon like). It has the typical Cobra sound at impact. The performance is something unusual in that with this face progression it is really hard to hit the ball anything other than straight. I tried my best to turn the ball over and fade it with only mild success---the ball just wanted to come back on line. Distance once again is its forte. Most of the drivers I've played this year Ping G2, G5, BB 454, FT-3, r7 TP, r5 TP have all produced distances within 5-7 yards of each other with only the new G5 having a very slight edge over the others. This club is clearly longer than my G5. My G5 is a 7.5 with a 65 NV X shaft in it. This club was much longer than the G5. I had no way to measure the distance difference but I can tell you the driving range I hit at is about 285 yards long (per my laser finder). As a result they have telephone poles holding nets up some 40+ feet in the air. With my G5 I was able to consistently hit the ball to the base of the net or it would one hop to the net. With the new Cobra I was consistently hitting 1/3 to 1/2 way up the net on the fly. This is significant yardage difference. I can only tell you it has been at least 5+ years since I have hit the net on the fly (the ravages of age I guess) :idhitit:

The other model I saw was the X Speed for ball speeds of 125+ mph (I think that was the number). It had a different weighting pad scheme on the bottom and a NV X Speed shaft at 60 grams in Stiff flex (red colored). They had one other model for still lower ball speeds and then the usual offset line up. A neat approach by Cobra that once again produces results FOR $299. The newer shape will take a little getting used to----until you hit the first ball.

I believe early November is the release date---most reps. are showing their samples this week.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a few rounds and hit some buckets of balls with my new Cobra XX Speed Driver.  Performance wise and distance Cobra has done it again for $299.  The new series drivers are rated by ball speed and have lofts, weighting, face progression, face angles, and shafts to match.  Mine is a XX Speed in 8.5 degrees (The XX Speed is the head the Pinnacle Long Drive Team will be using this year).  On the sole it says Milled Titanium 460 cc.  On the heel of the club it says XX Speed Range 165+ mph (ball speed).  The shaft is a yellow gold Fujikura Vista Tour 65 in X flex, high kick.  The first thing that is striking is a shape departure for Cobra.  The scallops are still there and the club is entirely black but they are obviously trying to shape the head to maximize the MOI.  It isn't a bizarre shape like the FT-3 or the Sasquatch but definitely has more heel shape than in the past.  The other thing that is noticeable is this club has the most face progression I've ever seen in a metal club (almost persimmon like).  It has the typical Cobra sound at impact.  The performance is something unusual in that with this face progression it is really hard to hit the ball anything other than straight.  I tried my best to turn the ball over and fade it with only mild success---the ball just wanted to come back on line.  Distance once again is its forte.  Most of the drivers I've played this year Ping G2, G5, BB 454, FT-3, r7 TP, r5 TP have all produced distances within 5-7 yards of each other with only the new G5 having a very slight edge over the others.  This club is clearly longer than my G5.  My G5 is a 7.5 with a 65 NV X shaft in it.  This club was much longer than the G5.  I had no way to measure the distance difference but I can tell you the driving range I hit at is about 285 yards long (per my laser finder).  As a result they have telephone poles holding nets up some 40+ feet in the air.  With my G5 I was able to consistently hit the ball to the base of the net or it would one hop to the net.  With the new Cobra I was consistently hitting 1/3 to 1/2 way up the net on the fly.  This is significant yardage difference.  I can only tell you it has been at least 5+ years since I have hit the net on the fly (the ravages of age I guess) :idhitit: 

The other model I saw was the X Speed for ball speeds of 125+ mph (I think that was the number).  It had a different weighting pad scheme on the bottom and a NV X Speed shaft at 60 grams in Stiff flex (red colored).  They had one other model for still lower ball speeds and then the usual offset line up.  A neat approach by Cobra that once again produces results FOR $299.  The newer shape will take a little getting used to----until you hit the first ball.

I believe early November is the release date---most reps. are showing their samples this week.

45905[/snapback]

Interesting stuff, any pictures ?

Played a few rounds and hit some buckets of balls with my new Cobra XX Speed Driver.  Performance wise and distance Cobra has done it again for $299.  The new series drivers are rated by ball speed and have lofts, weighting, face progression, face angles, and shafts to match.  Mine is a XX Speed in 8.5 degrees (The XX Speed is the head the Pinnacle Long Drive Team will be using this year).  On the sole it says Milled Titanium 460 cc.  On the heel of the club it says XX Speed Range 165+ mph (ball speed).  The shaft is a yellow gold Fujikura Vista Tour 65 in X flex, high kick.  The first thing that is striking is a shape departure for Cobra.  The scallops are still there and the club is entirely black but they are obviously trying to shape the head to maximize the MOI.  It isn't a bizarre shape like the FT-3 or the Sasquatch but definitely has more heel shape than in the past.  The other thing that is noticeable is this club has the most face progression I've ever seen in a metal club (almost persimmon like).  It has the typical Cobra sound at impact.  The performance is something unusual in that with this face progression it is really hard to hit the ball anything other than straight.  I tried my best to turn the ball over and fade it with only mild success---the ball just wanted to come back on line.  Distance once again is its forte.  Most of the drivers I've played this year Ping G2, G5, BB 454, FT-3, r7 TP, r5 TP have all produced distances within 5-7 yards of each other with only the new G5 having a very slight edge over the others.  This club is clearly longer than my G5.  My G5 is a 7.5 with a 65 NV X shaft in it.  This club was much longer than the G5.  I had no way to measure the distance difference but I can tell you the driving range I hit at is about 285 yards long (per my laser finder).  As a result they have telephone poles holding nets up some 40+ feet in the air.  With my G5 I was able to consistently hit the ball to the base of the net or it would one hop to the net.  With the new Cobra I was consistently hitting 1/3 to 1/2 way up the net on the fly.  This is significant yardage difference.  I can only tell you it has been at least 5+ years since I have hit the net on the fly (the ravages of age I guess) :idhitit:  

The other model I saw was the X Speed for ball speeds of 125+ mph (I think that was the number).  It had a different weighting pad scheme on the bottom and a NV X Speed shaft at 60 grams in Stiff flex (red colored).  They had one other model for still lower ball speeds and then the usual offset line up.  A neat approach by Cobra that once again produces results FOR $299.  The newer shape will take a little getting used to----until you hit the first ball.

45905[/snapback]

45907[/snapback]

Hope this works, they aren't the greatest, had to do them on the fly. You can also see on the toe they are now mentioning the actual MOI number which as I said before is the reason for some of the non traditional shapes. This head is listed as square to .5 open, the 7.5 version is also square to .5 open. The X speeds are listed as 1 degree closed, but it is very difficult to discern that with the new face progression along with an actual slight bulge and roll for the first time I've ever seen it on a metal wood. Too bad they couldn't have gotten this driver out at the same time as the G5. It would have been stiff competition (better in my opinion)

45905[/snapback]

45907[/snapback]

Hope this works, they aren't the greatest, had to do them on the fly. You can also see on the toe they are now mentioning the actual MOI number which as I said before is the reason for some of the non traditional shapes. This head is listed as square to .5 open, the 7.5 version is also square to .5 open. The X speeds are listed as 1 degree closed, but it is very difficult to discern that with the new face progression along with an actual slight bulge and roll for the first time I've ever seen it on a metal wood. Too bad they couldn't have gotten this driver out at the same time as the G5. It would have been stiff competition (better in my opinion)

46016[/snapback]

Cool, I'll have to check the new Cobra drivers out when the rep comes by my home course. I've always like Cobra drivers and looking forward to trying out the new ones. The head looks good this time. Thanks for your review and for your opinions! :cheesy:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

Quick question! The drivers look awesome, I got on a launch monitor about a month ago, all I can remember is my Driver SS nothing else (which was an average of 104, and top of 109) which of this new series would fit me best. Considering that the long drive guys are using the XX, I would assume that I am in the 'X' category. How exactly does this work, thanks for the review!

Cheers, Bryan

Quick question! The drivers look awesome, I got on a launch monitor about a month ago, all I can remember is my Driver SS nothing else (which was an average of 104, and top of 109) which of this new series would fit me best. Considering that the long drive guys are using the XX, I would assume that I am in the 'X' category. How exactly does this work, thanks for the review!

Cheers, Bryan

46169[/snapback]

I recall ball speed being 1.5 times your driver speed as a ball park figure. I guess that would make the bare minimum for the XX a 110 mph swing which would give the 165 mph ball speed. As I said I didn't pay that close attention to the other ball speed numbers on the X and the other ones.

That thing looks good and at the price you can't beat it!! There's going to be some serious competition at the $299 range. With the Sasquatch getting much of the buzz I wonder if it'll take word of mouth to get the Cobra selling. Some new Feherty commercials will help!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

That thing looks good and at the price you can't beat it!!  There's going to be some serious competition at the $299 range.  With the Sasquatch getting much of the buzz I wonder if it'll take word of mouth to get the Cobra selling.  Some new Feherty commercials will help!

46442[/snapback]

The rep. said they would have a small group on the PGA playing the Cobra stuff. The only name he mentioned that I had heard of was Jerry Kelly.

Thanks Sandy, at $299 I think it deserves a go.

46309[/snapback]

Hmm, Nike and Cobra releasing drivers at the $300 price point, perhaps we're seeing a trend?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

Thanks Sandy, at $299 I think it deserves a go.

46309[/snapback]

Hmm, Nike and Cobra releasing drivers at the $300 price point, perhaps we're seeing a trend?

47949[/snapback]

At this point probably only Taylor Made can maintain a premium price. Even Titleist is going to have to produce something that sells (read that bigger) to keep asking $399.

Sandy,

any word on whether the low loft (4.5 5.5 & 6.5) LDA XXspeeds will be made available to the public ? If the XX speed is similar to the 450SZ tour it only came in 8 degrees retail.

Also the driver pictured on their webpage is called the F speed, changing the name or just the lower ball speed models ??

Cheers!

Sandy,

any word on whether the low loft (4.5 5.5 & 6.5) LDA XXspeeds will be made available to the public ? If the XX speed is similar to the 450SZ tour it only came in 8 degrees retail.

Also the driver pictured on their webpage is called the F speed, changing the name or just the lower ball speed models ??

Cheers!

48594[/snapback]

The two drivers I saw said XX Speed and X Speed on the sole. They did have F Speed fairways but I suppose they could have had some F Speed Drivers but I didn't see/look for any. I must admit I didn't see anything with ball speeds that the general public would be producing so maybe the F is the more traditional swing speed model.

I own a 5 and 6 degree LDA head with X pro force shafts in them at 46 inches. This 8.5 XX Speed with an X Fujikura at 46 inches hit the ball on the same trajectory as the 6 degree. Since they will be making a 7.5 in the XX Speed head as well there may not be as much need for the lower lofts. I agree the old original 450 SZ Tour in 8 degree was a pop up special. I think they have controlled the weighting better in this head. I will probably ask about the lower lofted drivers but from what I see they aren't needed with this new head.

Thanks Sandy,

I asked about release dates here in UK & Europe and it's into the New Year with no word on head specs or price.

The 4.5 5.5 XX speed heads are listed in the USGA conforming list. Would be great if you can find out through your contacts if your rep can get you the low heads... if so let me know I'd like to get a few of these heads early. I doubt they'll make it to Europe.

Cheers.

Thanks Sandy,

I asked about release dates here in UK & Europe and it's into the New Year with no word on head specs or price.

The 4.5 5.5 XX speed heads are listed in the USGA conforming list. Would be great if you can find out through your contacts if your rep can get you the low heads... if so let me know I'd like to get a few of these heads early. I doubt they'll make it to Europe.

Cheers.

49038[/snapback]

I have no doubt that I can get the 4.5 or 5.5 although I can tell you from personal experience if you can't generate at least 135 mph you shouldn't be messing with the 4.5. There is a world of difference between 4.5 and 5.5. 5.0 and 6.0 are very easy to get airborne but anything that is in the 4s is tough. I had 4, 5, 6 degree heads in the 450 SZ Tour and the 5 and 6 were very easy to hit with an X shaft but the 4 was not useable and I can turn 125 mph fairly regularly and the 4 went no where with that speed. An LDA friend with 145+ mph had an easier time with the 4. Although I can get that stuff from my contacts I can not obtain this equipment for other than personal use. Anything else and I instantly lose my priveleges.

I noticed today that the models are XX Speed, X Speed, F Speed, M Speed in the drivers which are all tied to ball speed.

Thanks Sandy,

Cheers.

49038[/snapback]

I have no doubt that I can get the 4.5 or 5.5 although I can tell you from personal experience if you can't generate at least 135 mph you shouldn't be messing with the 4.5. There is a world of difference between 4.5 and 5.5. 5.0 and 6.0 are very easy to get airborne but anything that is in the 4s is tough. I had 4, 5, 6 degree heads in the 450 SZ Tour and the 5 and 6 were very easy to hit with an X shaft but the 4 was not useable and I can turn 125 mph fairly regularly and the 4 went no where with that speed. An LDA friend with 145+ mph had an easier time with the 4. Although I can get that stuff from my contacts I can not obtain this equipment for other than personal use. Anything else and I instantly lose my priveleges.

I noticed today that the models are XX Speed, X Speed, F Speed, M Speed in the drivers which are all tied to ball speed.

49963[/snapback]

Like the Taylor made 510 tp and the R7 tp series, do you need to have a 110 plus swing speed to utilize the head to its potential? Or can a normal Joe like me with a 105 to 110 max utilize the xx head?

Thanks Sandy,

Cheers.

49038[/snapback]

49963[/snapback]

Like the Taylor made 510 tp and the R7 tp series, do you need to have a 110 plus swing speed to utilize the head to its potential? Or can a normal Joe like me with a 105 to 110 max utilize the xx head?

50437[/snapback]

I found that anything under 110 mph made the XX head very average in distance (I tried a few around 100-104 mph). If 110 mph is the upper end probably the X head would be a better fit.

I think it is important to know these things. Thanks for the info.

I can remember running around these forums like a chicken with his head cut off trying to buy the next "holy grail". Hearing all of the comment about extra distances with teh 510 deep face and R7. It really depends on the indian.

If my swing can only produce a 105 to 110 mph swing speed there a a few driver heads that are not for me. Looks like the xx head isnt a good match. Why is that? Can you help some of us understand why the "X" vs the "XX" is better suited for a player with a lower swing speed? What is it about the driver design that will increase the ball speed at these 2 different speeds?

I think it is important to know these things. Thanks for the info.

I can remember running around these forums like a chicken with his head cut off trying to buy the next "holy grail". Hearing all of the comment about extra distances with teh 510 deep face and R7. It really depends on the indian.

If my swing can only produce a 105 to 110 mph swing speed there a a few driver heads that are not for me. Looks like the xx head isnt a good match. Why is that? Can you help some of us understand why the "X" vs the "XX" is better suited for a player with a lower swing speed? What is it about the driver design that will increase the ball speed at these 2 different speeds?

50440[/snapback]

My guess other than just loft like the old days (when a 4, 5, 6 was the preferred loft in the 427 Tour and 450 SZ Tour) the can now achieve a much broader weighting scheme by utilizing the thin crown and face technology. According to the rep. the pinnacle team can now use the new design because it is much stronger compared to the old models where they had to make them CORs of .082 because they were breaking so many faces. That being said there is a very noticeable weight placement (and maybe material one is dark the other light gray) difference between the XX and X heads. With the thin technology they can also move the weight up and deep on the face (not actually on the face but in line with the CG). That is why the 8.5 in the XX Speed has the same trajectory as the 5 degree 450 SZ Tour I have. The shaft can also make some difference as this Fuji is a high kick X while the NVs in the other heads are mid kick shafts even in X. There is also a slight configuration difference in the back/sole design of the different heads. I believe the X is dead square and the XX is .5 open (another reason not to need the lower lofts--that is why VJs 10.5 comp at 4 degrees open plays more like an effective square 7.5--per the cleveland tour van guy as well). I think the F and M are probably 2-3 closed.

Although there are significant differences in head designs and shaft specs. it still comes down to raw swing speed. I think many people with swingspeeds under 110 could use the XX heads but probably wouldn't be impressed with the work they had to do for a whole round.

Remember I said I have a 4 degree 450 SZ Tour that with my occasional 125 mph swing speed I couldn't get anything but anemic distance out of. But my LDA buddy who can turn 145 mph had no problem using this club. His shots were still rising as they passed over where mine had stopped. Raw swing speed still delivers regardless of the design or shaft. And it looks like this is Cobra's attempt to match peoples swing speeds. It is at best a guideline but is a better place to start than looking for the holy grail (as you said) that may be totally unsuited for one's game.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that anything under 110 mph made the XX head very average in distance (I tried a few around 100-104 mph). If 110 mph is the upper end probably the X head would be a better fit. That is what most of the other people that were testing all of the Cobra heads found. The biggest interest grabber was the X Speed Head. There wasn't much interest in the F, M, or XX heads.

• 3 weeks later...
I found that anything under 110 mph made the XX head very average in distance (I tried a few around 100-104 mph).  If 110 mph is the upper end probably the X head would be a better fit.  That is what most of the other people that were testing all of the Cobra heads found.  The biggest interest grabber was the X Speed Head.  There wasn't much interest in the F, M, or XX heads.

60080[/snapback]

There was a big article in one of the recent golf publications about these clubs. Surprised there hasnt been much talk here about them.