2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PGA Village Thoughts

RichieHunt

Played the Ryder Course at PGA Village yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. It's a bit surprising that there has not been a lot of discussion on the PGA Village courses since it's an impressive facility with 3 golf courses and the Learning Center (which is NOT at the same location, it's down the road).

I decided to play the Ryder Course because the Wannamaker Course is closed as they are working on the fairways. That left me with the Ryder or the Dye course. I don't detest Pete Dye's designs, but you just never know what you're going to get with his designs and I didn't feel like taking an 80-minute drive and paying $40 on my day off to be disappointed.

The Ryder Course is a Tom Fazio design. I played with a member and he told me that the Wannamaker Course is a bit more of a challenge (I would imagine since I shot 33 on the back nine) and that is where they usually play their tournaments. He seemed to think the Dye Course was fine if you had played it a bunch of times, but still ranked it 3rd on his list.

The Ryder Course reminds me a bit of another Fazio design, Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes, except Legacy Club is much more narrow (likely due to it being a private club). The designs of the greens and the bunkering are very similar as well as some of the signature Fazio landing areas.

There's housing around the course, but it's not too close nor was it noisy to become distracting.

I thought the course was in very good condition with the greens being lightning fast. I had them at least a 12 using the AimPoint method of determining the stimp. The only thing I didn't care for is that they were a bit too firm. When the ball hit the green it didn't sound like the soil was too hard and compact, but it wasn't particularly easy to get pitch shots or even bunker blasts to hold.

The only other criticism is more or less just a pet peeve of mine...designers make the par-3's way too long. Working with PGA Tour players and following them, I can tell you that they usually get at least two of the par-3's that are in the 140-180 yard range. Often times they may be measured at 200+ yards from the back tees, but they'll move up the tees to make them play well under 200 yards. Fortunately, I played the par-3's at even par, but had to hit excellent shots in order to do so.

But overall this was a fantastic time. You just hop on I-95 and take Exit 121 and it's right down the road. The staff was friendly and had their act together. I plan on playing here far more often not only because it's a nice course and I had a good time, but it's nice to play greens at this speed (particularly before tournaments). We also go around in 3 hours 45 minutes as a foursome (although we were playing on a Monday).

RH

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Richie, there has been quite a bit of discussion on here about PGA Village. Anything with "Lucie" (for Port St Lucie) will reveal it in a search.

Most people will tell you the Ryder is their favorite course because it's easiest one. I'm not a big fan of the Wanamaker course for some reason. Not sure why, it just doesn't sit with me as well as it should. The Dye course is my favorite personally. It's the hardest, and longest from the tips, but it's also quite different with all the use of nature in its design(cart paths are waste areas, etc).

Agree 100% on par 3 lengths. Almost hit and hope as opposed to skill measurement.

I did get to play the Dye Course on Sunday. It was in fantastic condition. It was actually a fun course, but very challenging. The only thing I didn't like is that on the long par-4's the fairways should have been flatter. On one of the long par-4's I hit the fairway and had a 3-hybrid on a small hill and it just shot the ball straight up into the air (and into the wind). Then on 18 I hit a driver as hard as I could into a 1/4 wind right in the middle of the fairway and had a sidehill lie with a 4-iron well above my feet. Tough course, but other than that it was fair.

RH

Did you play the tips? That tee shot on 18 is just a monster. But between the par 3s, and 18, 15 and #2, the tips aren't so bad when compared to the one ups.

Yeah I guess he should be happy with wind and length as defense of the course. I don't know if it was the greens, or all of it that was redone a couple years ago. But it's Florida and it's flat otherwise, so....

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1432741312' post='11635756']
Did you play the tips? That tee shot on 18 is just a monster. But between the par 3s, and 18, 15 and #2, the tips aren't so bad when compared to the one ups.

Yeah I guess he should be happy with wind and length as defense of the course. I don't know if it was the greens, or all of it that was redone a couple years ago. But it's Florida and it's flat otherwise, so....
[/quote]

I played the tips.

I actually hit a drive about as well as I could, 270 yards into the wind and in the middle of the fairway. Had a 4-iron into the hole, but the ball was on an undulated area and was well above my feet.

RH