2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Blast motion golf

I saw this at the lpga event and naturally I got curious and talk to the rep what this device actually can do.

Basically it's a 3D motion sensor technology that place on the butt of the club and read the motion just like zepp, but blast beauty is the ability to capture it with the camera which can be replay frame by frame and in slow motion.

My take after trying it out for a month or so is definitely a device that can help you checking out your consistency. Numbers wise is not gonna be easy for me to say accurate or not (i don't have enough knowledge practice to judge yet), but it's definitely more accurate on the putter reading....however this device can help you if you know what you are doing. Bare in mind that I have a flightscope in my studio.

Induction charging system is pretty neat IMO.

My big suggestion on this to get your reading correctly, you have to build the club at least 1/2" longer for you to be able to choke down a bit during use... So the cradle wouldn't get disturbed during swing for better reading.

The owner is the same guy who developed k-vest, obviously they've been a while in this industry...so I won't be surprise we gonna see more from him.

Feel free to add your experiences on this device to share to members.

Thx!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the run posting the first one, so I'm going add my comment here from fitting point of view.

The camera features is a huge help to see your sweetspot contacts, how the ball react at contact and how far it's skipped and roll. I can tweak the putter to give them a better result from that and combination of the numbers.

It's proven that some of customers have a big improvement on how the ball roll and direction/aim.

My 2cents!
Joe

Here are some more info from the horse mouth:

1) it's a 3D motion sensor

2) you should not have to build club 1/2" longer- sensor will not move, effect metrics

3) data is very accurate on a consistent basis, test vs any system

4) ability to use camera at 240 frames to see your swing/putt in slo motion

5) system is being used by over 60 professionals on PGA, Senior PGA, LPGA Tours

6) education seminars for PGA/Fitness Pro's starting in August

7) Full swing, Power, Efficiency, Swing Speed, Timing, Blast Factor

8) each sensor tested for accuracy against Vicon optical cameras

Founder Bio

Michael Bentley the founder of Blast has also founded such products as; Enso Shaft fitting system used by Fujikura, K-Vest, and in shoe pressure systems. He is a PGA Professional and pioneer of biomechanics in the golf motion, collecting data and improving the kinetic chain for more than 25

So it shows that I will need more session and learning to really get the full understanding. Might even need to joint the seminar if I got time to do it.

Thx !

• 7 months later...

I just found out about this thing and I'm really intrigued. I found a great price on one on ebay, and it's on its way. I used a swingbyte 2 previously, but I found the numbers to be pretty inaccurate, and the app was clunky, plus the sensor tended to slip on full swings. This seems like a better design, and I'm very interested to try it. I'm not sure how much I'll use the video part, since I usually practice alone, and finding a place to prop up the phone isn't always easy, but I could see this being very useful for putting practice.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I just saw one of the pros using it in Palm Springs (actually tour pic on WRX) so did a little checking. I am interested in the putting, but not sure it would work with a Flatso Grip or amy other large grip

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

I just saw one of the pros using it in Palm Springs (actually tour pic on WRX) so did a little checking. I am interested in the putting, but not sure it would work with a Flatso Grip or amy other large grip

There are two adapters included--one for swinging clubs/standard putter grips, and attaching to large putter grips. I'm not sure how large. I have a Low Tide putter with one of the smaller Salty grips, which is about the same size as the small SS grips. I also have a SS Slim 3.0 that's not on a putter, but I'll check when it gets here if it fits.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I got one of these as a gift this Christmas. I've only used it a few times. I compared the swing speed against trackman and it's pretty accurate. I haven't explored all the metrics yet, but I like the thing thus far.

The video is perhaps the coolest feature, you set up your phone, hit record and take a few swings. It knows when to start and stop recording for each swing and you'll end up with multiple clips. Then I'll load into ubersense to check my lines.

These are all the metrics that it can keep track of, but only some are available when swinging a driver, like Blast Factor.

If you choose to record a swing in a swing recording app like ubersense V1, etc., and not with the Blast app, it will still take your metrics for each swing but won't have it embedded into that corresponding video.

To see other metrics for the above swing, all you need to do is swipe right for each. Also from this screen, you can press the blue "i" left of the metric, and it will play a video explaining what that metric measures, and how you can use your number to see where you stack up against others. In the top right, you see the Bluetooth icon and the current club the sensor is synced with. If you want to change the club all you need to do is click the gear along the bottom. The app itself is quite easy to navigate through.

This is a screenshot of the playback feature from a video recorded using the app. It's shot in slow motion at 240 fps. You can watch your metrics in real time throughout a swing. Here, I have swing speed selected, and if you want to switch to see another, you just need to swipe through and choose what you want and select it.

Another thing thats pretty neat, along the top right third of the screen where it says "Impact," you can actually press it and will bring the video right to impact along with the chosen metric.

Like I said in my post above, I haven't used it a whole lot, only explored and experimented with it. I think the stats are pretty useful and it offers a different tool than just lines and graphs which is always helpful.

<snip>

Cool review, thanks! Tracking says mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I was planning to hit the range this weekend, so I should be able to try it out for the first time then for full swings. I'll start using it immediately for my basement putting therapy sessions.

I read it's only to be used with putter and driver, any users out there using it with irons/wedges?

According to their site, it can be used with irons and wedges, as well as the driver. Looks like any full swing capability is only available on iOS right now, though.

Mine got delivered to my office on Friday when I was out, so I swung by to grab it today. Unfortunately, i didn't have time to charge it before going to the range, but I did check some stuff out tonight, and hit a few putts with it. I'm interested to get more into the numbers once I watch a few of the videos.

Regarding the fit of the adapters on various putter grips, the unit comes with two flexible, rubber-like adapters--one for standard grips and one for oversized putter grips. The standard one actually fit on my smaller Salty grip (similar size to the small Super Stroke grips), though it is snug (the oversized one is too big and would not stay on if I tried to use it). I tried the oversize one on the Slim 3.0 that I have (which is a pretty fat grip), and it fits on that pretty loosely (but fine to keep it in place). I imagine it'll fit the larger SS grips with no problem.

Mine got delivered to my office on Friday when I was out, so I swung by to grab it today. Unfortunately, i didn't have time to charge it before going to the range, but I did check some stuff out tonight, and hit a few putts with it. I'm interested to get more into the numbers once I watch a few of the videos.

Regarding the fit of the adapters on various putter grips, the unit comes with two flexible, rubber-like adapters--one for standard grips and one for oversized putter grips. The standard one actually fit on my smaller Salty grip (similar size to the small Super Stroke grips), though it is snug (the oversized one is too big and would not stay on if I tried to use it). I tried the oversize one on the Slim 3.0 that I have (which is a pretty fat grip), and it fits on that pretty loosely (but fine to keep it in place). I imagine it'll fit the larger SS grips with no problem.

Any updates on this product? Thanks

Any updates on this product? Thanks

I haven't used it on full swings yet, or with video, so my review is pretty limited. I have used it putting in my basement, and it's already given me some interesting information. Based on the measurements it has recorded, I consistently rotate the putter face open about 5-6 degrees, but at impact, the face doesn't get back to its original position--it's usually about 1.5 degrees open compared to my starting position. Something to keep an eye on, and I could see using the sensor to try to improve and correct that.

I saw the supported devices on the website.

Unfortunately my SGS5mini phone is not included nor is my Nexus 7 tablet.

The customer service replied quickly and offered to push for the SGS5mini's addition if I could upgrade from android 4.2.2 to 5.0 (lollipop)

However no lollipop available for my Latin American SGS5mini model yet. Too bad.

There are no plans of including Nexus tablets either. Too bad again as it's running android 6.0.1

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

I really like (what appears) to be highly accurate Back Stroke / Forward Stroke timing with this sensor.

If you are wondering what Tour-level tempo and other putting data looks like, I've found this article to be interesting. It uses data from The SAM PuttLab: http://www.samsports.de/minicms/publications/ARGC07_SAM_PuttLab_Concept_and_Tour_Data.pdf

Based on p.8 in this document, we should be shooting for a 0.67s back stroke and 0.317s forward stroke for a tempo ratio of 2.1

• 7 months later...

I should have mine this afternoon when I get home for work. That and an orange whip.. .Finally i have one.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Got it. It seems simple enough.. will hopefully be able to get some numbers from my range session tomorrow afternoon. I had to charge it when it got here, so i didn't get to use it today. The only thing I wish it would do is give me a 3D idea of like plane as such..

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Ok. I spent a little time on the range with it yesterday. Looks like it will be a great tool once I figure all the Ins and outs. I also added the app to my iPad and ordered a couple of phone/iPad tripods from Amazon using my points from a credit card.

I am going to see if I can get two angles and line them up side by side via iMovie or some sort of editing software. Then I can really start fixing my issues. I will have the tripods tomorrow. New irons Wednesday and I can be ready for the weekend as it's the member guest style tournament for us.

It is the final year for this tournament as the title sponsor was a car dealership that changed owners and the new owners said they will not renew the deal after 15 years.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis