2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chambers Bay Golf Course

oregongolf

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who haven't played, but have heard about the greens, this is what you'd be putting on.

P7190031.jpg

Played there last week, and I must admit, they've finally done it! I've been very critical each time I've played there (8 times now) that the course is ruined by having such bad greens...but no more. They were rolling totally pure and at maybe a 9-10 stimp, and more importantly, no huge holes/wear spots.

Fescue does roll differently, and I think most people don't get that. Downhill and hard breaking putts roll pretty quickly, almost feel like an 11stimp, but uphill putts are still really slow, like an 8. I think that's the just the nature of fescue. I asked a couple of the staff there what they're doing differently, and they're mowing them just a tiny bit lower but rolling the greens with those funny side-mount roller machines EVERY day. They've also watered a ton to keep the course in good shape with all the abnormally hot weather and lack of rain we've had.

It's still pretty expensive for non-residents, but how many US Open course venues do YOU get to play?

:drinks:

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

Greens aside, did anyone else feel like it didn't play to what we traditionally think 'links' golf is to be?

What I mean, is that for the 3 times I've played the course, never have I been able to play runup shots to the green, play bump-and-runs around the greens nor get the undulating bounces in the fairway similar to those we often see at the Open. Everything just stuck.

It always felt like Target Golf with a Links face.... but maybe it's just me. Is it????

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

[quote name='Left Rough' post='1886637' date='Aug 13 2009, 07:15 PM']Greens aside, did anyone else feel like it didn't play to what we traditionally think 'links' golf is to be?

What I mean, is that for the 3 times I've played the course, never have I been able to play runup shots to the green, play bump-and-runs around the greens nor get the undulating bounces in the fairway similar to those we often see at the Open. Everything just stuck.

It always felt like Target Golf with a Links face.... but maybe it's just me. Is it????[/quote]
I quite agree.

Last I played it was 95 degrees with no wind though. When I think of running balls into greens on a links course, I think of there being at least a one or two club wind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Nor Cal golfer here, i tend to ramble so i'll be quick. I'm a 16.5 but i absolutely adore links golf. I'm playing here 6 days from today (i'll try to post pics). My question is, how hard will this course be for me? And which tees should i play from

I know a few early posts made mention of the fact that the course is not for the faint of heart, but i don't mind a challenging course. Now that i understand the correlation of your index and how often you should shoot to your handicap, i actually don't get so bogged down when i shoot higher than what i like. I've been playing fairly well as of late and am looking forward to playing a challenging course. I'm feeling very comfortable with my putter and irons at the moment, but my Driver is a little squirly. I guess i'm just looking for a mental pep talk from some of the people here who've played it. Tips? Suggestions? Strategies? I'm super stoked to be playing it and i'll put up my review as soon as i get back from my vacation.

[quote name='ape.rez' post='1913689' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:54 PM']Hey Guys!

Nor Cal golfer here, i tend to ramble so i'll be quick. I'm a 16.5 but i absolutely adore links golf. I'm playing here 6 days from today (i'll try to post pics). My question is, how hard will this course be for me? And which tees should i play from

I know a few early posts made mention of the fact that the course is not for the faint of heart, but i don't mind a challenging course. Now that i understand the correlation of your index and how often you should shoot to your handicap, i actually don't get so bogged down when i shoot higher than what i like. I've been playing fairly well as of late and am looking forward to playing a challenging course. I'm feeling very comfortable with my putter and irons at the moment, but my Driver is a little squirly. I guess i'm just looking for a mental pep talk from some of the people here who've played it. Tips? Suggestions? Strategies? I'm super stoked to be playing it and i'll put up my review as soon as i get back from my vacation.[/quote]

I have played Chambers a few times and would suggest starting out with the "Sand" tees. Very few holes require a super precise tee ball but your mid-long irons and lag putting must be working to score well. Keep your drives out of the waste area and you should be fine. Have fun!

Thanks Guys,

I will definitely take those suggestions to heart, i should have probably mentioned what tees i typically play from, but on average i play from a course/slope rating of 70-72 and 120-128. Distance wise, if i'm feeling frisky and want to challenge myself i'll play from about 6400-6550 yds. When i'm driving the ball well i'll hit it about 250-260 with occasional 'bombs' (using that term loosely) of 285. I guess I'm looking at right about where you guys are suggesting which is the sand or white tees. My only concern with the whit tees is if it's not very windy or inclimate, will i not face as many shots where i have to get creative?? That's the fun of links golf is trying (key word there is 'trying') to hit different shots. Oh and my tee time is at 7:55 am if that helps anyone to give me a better idea of what type of weather conditions to expect. So far the forecast looks great for that day. Thanks again for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ksmith38' post='1931397' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:28 AM']My father will be playing chambers bay this weekend. He does not mind playing in mist, but if it downpour rain.

Does my father receive a refund or a rain check?

appreicate the advise.[/quote]

That's funny! It's the PNW, and they'd have to write a lot of "rain checks" if that were the case. Only time you might get a rain check is if it rained so hard for so long that there is standing water on the greens....and that is almost impossible for that to happen at Chambers. It's a brand new course with excellent drainage built basically on a sand pit, so it's gotta be the best draining course in the WORLD. I've played it for two years now and still have never seen a puddle (except on the maintenance road) or even a soft spot.

Hope this helps! Remember they have a 48 hour cancellation policy and it's supposed to rain all weekend :)

:drinks:

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425 LST 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 54M 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flat Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 “Rossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX