Review Top Flite D2 Feel

minteq

I know there have been reviews on this ball, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I am a 3 handicap and have mostly played ProV1s or Nike One Black. I have played the D2 feel the last 3 rounds. My problem with the Pro V's and the Nike's is that they spun too much for me off of wedges, I would usually spin them back off of the greens. My swing is very upright with irons and I usually generate alot of spin. I love the D2's, they are long off of the driver, hold the line very well, even in the wind. They feel very soft, and the are great to putt with, but the shining attribute for me is they hit and stop, or maybe roll a foot or two with a wedge. I can now hold the green instead of it spinning off.

The fact they are $14.99 per 15 pack makes them a no-brainer. They will stay in the bag for a long time.

I just wanted to add my review.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bridgestone e6 has been my favorite low-compression ball, but the D2 Feel is making a VERY strong statement! The e6 is softer at impact and off the putter, but the D2 Feel is longer off the tee and just as straight. The Feel also performs better in windy conditions.

There's an industry rumor floating around that Callaway developed the "dimple-in-dimple" design and found it to actually perform better than the hex dimple design. They decided, however, that they had too much invested in the hex product line and didn't want to lose that identity. The "dimple-in-dimple" design was subsequently handed off to the Top-Flite division and introduced in the D2-series balls.

Thanks for this info. I had another round today using just the E6 and didn't lose one, which is saying a lot. I just find it so bloody straight, but still putt-able. I love the Nike black but it does have more spin.

Thanks for the D2 Feel review, but I'd actually like to see some review on all three balls. I've heard even really solid reviews on the Distance as well.

Thanks for this info. I had another round today using just the E6 and didn't lose one, which is saying a lot. I just find it so bloody straight, but still putt-able. I love the Nike black but it does have more spin.

Thanks for the D2 Feel review, but I'd actually like to see some review on all three balls. I've heard even really solid reviews on the Distance as well.

I have a good friend who played the D2 Distance ball. He didn't like it. Although he didn't have any problems with distance, he said he had problems spinning it. As I understand it, it's got a slicker cover coating to reduce spin off the driver face (which of course would reduce the spin off irons and wedges too).

Last time we played he tried one of my D2 Feel balls and he said he liked it a LOT better.

I'm liking the D2 Feel balls a lot, especially for the money.

It ALMOST makes me want to try it!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

My first round with it, I wasn't too sure. Second round, I started getting used to the really soft feel.

Third round, I thought it was just awesome!! I can not believe how well this ball holds its line.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

It is a great ball. However, it takes some getting used to regarding spinning it and chipping with it. It likes to roll out a little more than the Pro V1s. I have been playing the D2s for the last 2 months and decided to hit an HX tour on one hole into the green. Man did I rip it almost off the green! With the D2, that wouldn't have happened. That is the only downfall. If you can learn how much roll will occur with certain shots, they will make you extremely happy!

I really think you should try it, I was one of those "I will never hit a rock flite", but after reading some reviews on it, and for the price it is an excellent ball. Like I said, with a wedge I would spin balls off of the green, these hit and stop. I have played a ProV1 next to the D2, and they are very similar except for chipping, but you just have to plan for it to roll out a little.

The only place I haven't tried it is a high short shot, say over a trap to a tight pin, that might be interesting.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I'm not as fortunate as many of you -- I put spin on a ball around the greens -- still -- the D2 Feel is not a spinner. It may fit the games of several players for their spin needs. But for most of us, we still need a urethane cover that is soft. Callaway won't market a ball for $15 that spins like their $39 ball. Hard, baked greens will spit that ball away.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Most people don't need to spin the ball much anyway.

I think distance control is hard enough to figure out when hitting out of different situations let alone factoring spin.

For the majority of all golfers, this ball is all they would ever need. That same majority throws money away on 30+ dollar golf balls that don't do what they want anyway.

For 15 bucks for 15, this is a steal.

Most people don't need to spin the ball much anyway.

I think distance control is hard enough to figure out when hitting out of different situations let alone factoring spin.

For the majority of all golfers, this ball is all they would ever need. That same majority throws money away on 30+ dollar golf balls that don't do what they want anyway.

For 15 bucks for 15, this is a steal.

I agree -- it's a steal.

But a lot of people miss greens -- some are everywhere but on the green in regulation. Sort of like the gang that couldn't shoot straight. And within 15-20 yards, you want spin and lots of it to stop the ball quickly to close pins. I need to experiment with this ball more but if it did everything well, Cally wouldn't be selling as many $39 urethane balls.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Good point.. but it could be that people don't look nearly as cool knocking around a topflite.. :rofl:

I am on the wrong forum to be bashing premium golf balls :tongue:

I have enjoyed playing the D2 Feel for the past couple of months. For me, I say it has been hard for me to take these balls out of the bag. In all honesty, the MAJORITY of the golfers couldnt take full advantage of a pro v1/v1x, keep in mind, the majority is not the reference of the folks on this forum.

As for what has been said about the ball, good spin char on the short irons and distance off the driver, and good feel off the putter. For the around the green chipping, I agree that it doesnt spin as hard as the premium balls, but this isnt a premium ball. From a marketing standpoint, it's at a excellent price point for what is being offered.

I do like the feel of the premium balls, but I dont see coughing up 3/ball when i'm shredding balls with my wedges. I can do it at a cheaper price at 1/ball. But to each their own.

I'm a 3 hdcp. and a HX Tour/Pro-V1x player. I decided to experiment with a cheaper ball my last round, that being the Titleist NXT Tour. From what I have read/heard, the NXT Tour spins marginally less then the Pro-V1 off the 8 iron and spin less off the tee for a straighter, longer tee ball.

I was VERY impressed with NXT Tour. ALL my shots with irons held the greens as well and the Pro-V line. On 2 of the par 3 holes I played (both 200+ yards), I hit 3 and 4 irons. Both shots ended between 5-8 feet from the ball mark. 52 and 58 degree wedges around the greens performed very well. and they felt very nice on the putter.

Cost is about $25/doz vs. $45/doz.

Another ball I like is the Bridgestone E5.

As for as the D2 Feel goes - as long as it says TopFlite on it........ I've got to pass! :tongue:

• 1 month later...
I know there have been reviews on this ball, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I am a 3 handicap and have mostly played ProV1s or Nike One Black. I have played the D2 feel the last 3 rounds. My problem with the Pro V's and the Nike's is that they spun too much for me off of wedges, I would usually spin them back off of the greens. My swing is very upright with irons and I usually generate alot of spin. I love the D2's, they are long off of the driver, hold the line very well, even in the wind. They feel very soft, and the are great to putt with, but the shining attribute for me is they hit and stop, or maybe roll a foot or two with a wedge. I can now hold the green instead of it spinning off.

The fact they are $14.99 per 15 pack makes them a no-brainer. They will stay in the bag for a long time.

I just wanted to add my review.

Okay I am overwhelmed with curiousity about the D2 Feel ball. i have picked up a box evey time I go out to Wal-Mart or any other that sells them and end up putting the box down. When I return to playing (hopefully in the next week or three) I am going to try them out. You know take them for a test "drive".

Seeing lower hadicaps trying them seems very enticing to me. I primarilly play the Staff Px3 but I have also used extensively the One Black and Pro V so to see someone that likes it who uses the same balls as I makes it that much more interesting. What is the approximate compression of these balls? What type of swing speeds are we talking?

Thanks,

Alex

• 3 years later...

I am a 3 and play in a group of 0,3,3,6,6 every week. One of the 6's said he was playing a Top Flite on the first tee. We thought he was pulling our leg. They normally play Pro V and I play Srixon. My buddy played the Top Flite and raved about it all day. The final hooray was on hole 17, a 172 yard par three. He hits his 6 iron and as soon as he hits the green I yell go in...and it did. Hole in one. After the round he gave us a sleeve to play with and last Thursday I played the ball and found it very soft to putt, same distance on the drive, and the ball released a little more on chips. That was the only adjustment I had to make. I would buy the ball because it plays well and to spite these manufactures who sell premium balls for $45 a dozen. I understand the ball is 15 for $15.99.

• 5 months later...

I didn't notice any difference with club selection, maybe the wind was causing your ball to hang back some?[quote name='bengtson14' timestamp='1179670182' post='569975']
Yeah, I absolutley agree with you. The only problem i had was they seemed about a club short with the irons for me. That was probably because it was windy the time i played with them but just something i noticed
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...