2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Thrift Shop: Double Lady's Bag ("Free" add-on)

TuffyE

There's not much here that is "Classic" except the buyer, but I wanted to share this with an underlying thought.

As noted in another thread, I found an interesting thrift shop buy on Black Friday. Basically, it was a fairly recent Wilson cart that I was happy to see. Sitting on it was a Spalding bag that I think I showed in the other thread. Inside of the bag was what I want to share here. The bag contained TWO full sets of irons (w/ putters) and a set of woods that appear to go with the Wilson set. There was also one more odd club in the bag, a "ProTactic Pro Control Oversize" 4-iron. I haven't looked into that one yet, but the two sets appear to be "retail" irons that are neither particularly old or classic. I would say that all were in pretty good shape, though.

One set of irons was a set of Wilson Beth Daniel Autograph ones with what I take it to be the matching 1/3/5 woods. The other set is, I think from a knockoff mfgr and says Pinemeadow Toursize. One putter was a Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge model and the other looks like an original "Putt-Putt" one from way back. You know what I mean.

Anyway, my real thought is what we might all productively do with these kinds of things. I figure there is some Lady someplace that started playing with those Wilsons and would love to have a set for old-times-sake. In fact, I know that we all probably have things like that lying around and some of you have a LOT of STUFF. I see the For Sale listings and the BST forums (What IS the Disputed one?). Is it unreasonable for us to have a single post (or area) in the Classics section for us to list what we have that we might want to trade...and what we would like to find?

It strikes me that it would simplify what we are already doing haphazardly in a ton of different places. Perhaps there IS a thread of just that or I am missing a major problem with doing it? Insight?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a forum discussion a year or so ago that resulted in the classic BST section. Doesn't appear to be utilized to any significant extent. The "powers that be" frown upon any BST discussion within the forum. With that said and hoping not to get in any hot water, one can utilize some "coded" language for accomplishing things along these lines. Be aware of how overtly and frequently you utilize said language.

I usually donate my acquisition cast-offs and misc. clubs to my local First Tee. Can receive a bigger tax deduction than any $ one may receive by trying to sell less than optimum equipment. I do not give them junk though, try to be respectful of their mission. Stuff they can use or sell for monies towards the cause. True junk gets recycled.

Spend much time at thrifts, you will see a lot of Patty Bergs, Sam Snead, Northwestern, etc. etc. You'll get use to it, part of the hunt. But spend enough time at it (part of my in-season out and about routine) you'll find some nice golf stuff. If your area is affluent and near golf courses, your odds are increased.

Find things that I sometimes flip for ROI. Quadrupling my money. Buy at $5, sell at $20. Profit for future buys. Repeat. LOL. Have a "slush fund" that the Mrs. never sees or has access to (top secret passcode). Got tired of hearing from her when acquisition expenses showed up on our bank statement.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

LOL. Thank you. For the record, I don't picture me out selling stuff, but I can see becoming seriously involved in trading and swapping stuff as I travel around the state. A big part of it for me would be using what I could find to end up with what I really wanted. Think I will look into posting in the BST section and seeing what happens.

Nothing serious going on here. LOL. Just a little retirement hobby of sorts. All started by finding an old Ping Anser 029 putter (that had been spray painted black!) at a thrift for a $1.99. But have to admit, I enjoy the hunt. Not only thrifts, I check out Craigslist, garage sales and local estate sales. Primarily looking for new, old golf clubs to try and also with the idea of a flip. I list on eBay with some degree of regularity (or when I get around to it). Nick you for fees but a larger market for these often older clubs. As you mentioned, a great way to try different clubs and if they don't work out, can be sold to recoup acquisition costs (or maybe make a peso or two).

Just a couple of examples of what has been acquired for use or flip:

Year ago, saw some club pictures in a local estate sale listing. Went the first morning. They had some nice clubs, shafts, set of Mac Tourney Custom persimmons, putters, wedges, etc. None of it was priced. Fighting off the little old ladies looking at Christmas decorations in the basement, hauled up three armloads of clubs and they gave me a bulk buy price of $40. Sold. In the haul was a mint SC Mizuno putter that I sold off for $165. Rare occurrence, but possible.

This summer, saw a local craigslist listing showing two bags of golf clubs. I could positively identify that one of the iron sets were Hogan Apex II's. Bought those and a wrong dot code set of Ping G2's and some misc. putters and woods. Well one of those misc. putters was a Ping Anser Karsten Co. Dalehead that was sold off for $85. Sold the G2's (partial) for $75. More than paid for the whole acquisition and I kept the Hogans that I was after to begin with.

Point here is that if one is so inclined, there are lots of clubs and golf related items that can be had on the very cheap. One just has to invest a little time looking and have some idea of what the good stuff is when you spot it. Hanging around this forum has helped with the latter immeasurably. I enjoy the hunt almost as much as playing these old(er) clubs. And now that the off-season has commenced, I'm going thru scrounging withdrawals.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs