2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nippon 950 iron shaft vs XP 95 vs KBS Tour 90

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for ur input. I'm leaning towards the Nippons for the same reasons u stated.

Have you looked at other models of Nippon, Modus 3, 1050/1150GH or super preening, they might be better options lower launch, but still the Nippon feel,

here are some reviews.

http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/category/categories/nippon/

While they will probably deliver lower launch with the "nippon feel", they are in a different weight class.

The Tour 90, NS Pro 950 and XP95 are all lightweight shafts, all the other Nippon shafts are heavier.

jubess, you could try going up a flex in the 950 or maybe try a slightly heavier shaft like the 1050 to see if you get a lower flight.

While they will probably deliver lower launch with the "nippon feel", they are in a different weight class.

The Tour 90, NS Pro 950 and XP95 are all lightweight shafts, all the other Nippon shafts are heavier.

jubess, you could try going up a flex in the 950 or maybe try a slightly heavier shaft like the 1050 to see if you get a lower flight.

TCMuc - Good point.

Jubess - The 950GH R is 94.5g SR is 97g, S is 98g, X is 104g.

the 950GH WF for flexes R, S, X weights start at 94 g upto 109g in X

Don't forget there is also the 950GH HT and NSPro V90 to consider.

All three are pretty close, from a technical point of view the Nippon is likely to be the highest launching of the three because it has the highest tip to butt ratio. The KBS is the strongest of the 3 with the potential to manage spin better. Real world performance will be very player dependant.

Each of these 3 models has a 105 gram model (NS Pro 1050, KBS Tour 105 and XP 105) which will naturally be a little stronger and potentially lower launching

Personally I wouldn't prejudge your requirements before you have the fitting for the F6 irons, simply go for the shaft that gives you the tightest dispersion with the best swing feel. I'd expect you would get better results going up 10 grams in weight rather than going up one flex simply in an attempt to lower ball flight. By the way be sure you actually are hitting the ball too high, a lot of these new fast face irons have a tendency to reduce spin so they need to fligh high to using extra trajectory to assist green holding.

Best of luck.

• 1 year later...

Great info. Ideally hiapp9preciate it. I'll have to find a place to try each flex and wei0 poo k oppght. All things being equal, if I want to keep the same swing speed but lower trajectory, should I go with Stiffer flex at same weight in the NS PRO 950?

9 9 9 1990's ooo

Iloilo 9

Personally I wouldn't prejudge your requirements before yo9o9ou9il 6 have the gutting 9for the F6 irons, simply go for the shaft that gives you the tightest dispersion with the best swing fe9el. I'd expect you would get better results going up 10 grams in weight rather than going up one flex simply in an attempt to lower ball flio9lght. By the ay be sure you actually are hitting the ball too high, a lot of these new fast face irons have a tendency to reduce spin so they need toyou 300k fligh high to using extra trajectory to assist green holding.Michael,

My Father’s condo in Key Biscayne, FL just sold and closed.  I remember you mentioning that capital gains might be incurred from the sale. However, isn’t there a one time exclusion on the sale of a primary residence?  If so, I don’t believe he ever used that exclusion.

In addition, I am working on my Father’s estate planning with an attorney here in New Jersey.  I may require your assistance/advise. I know with the sale of the property, we need to anticipate any possible tax implications for 2017 even though we still have not submitted the 2016 retuurn.

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.

Michael,

My Father’s condo in Key Biscayne, FL just sold and closed.  I remember you mentionioing that capital gains might be incurred from the sale. However, isn’t there a one time exclusion on the sale of a primary residence?  If so, I don’t believe he ever used that exclusion.

In addition, I am working on my Father’s statehood planning with an attorney here in New Jersey.  I may require your assistance/advise. I know with the sale of the property, we need to anticipate any possible tax implications for 2017 even though we still have not submitted the 2016 return.

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.

99 900p

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going down in weight from traditional heavier irons?

I had a pretty disasterous experience switching to ns pro 950 from the 115-120 gram weight range. I don't swing very fast so I assumed that the lower weight would help me. I had a lot of trouble keeping the club on plane and making solid contact.

Every one is different so I could work great for you though.

• 1 month later...

Are you going down in weight from traditional heavier irons?

I had a pretty disasterous experience switching to ns pro 950 from the 115-120 gram weight range. I don't swing very fast so I assumed that the lower weight would help me. I had a lot of trouble keeping the club on plane and making solid contact.

Every one is different so I could work great for you though.

I had the same issues while going through swings and equipment changes.

Been playing R300 for the longest time and jumped right into the Nippon 95; it was just alien and didn't match my aggressive and late lag through the impact zone. I was forced to slow it down in the Nippon 95.

I'm a believer that the equipment should match your swing not the other way around.

Played the KBS tour afterwards, another great feeling shaft and brought the flight and spin numbers a touch down.

Demo the modus and LZ5.5 which I liked both but more feel in the modus > both are considered mid launch and mid spin.

Personally I ended up settling on the S300 AMT due to fact I liked wedges at 130 grams and just needed a lighter shaft (112 gram in the 3 iron) to gain the extra launch but maintain consistency iron to iron.

You may want to consider where your 3-4 irons/hybrids/utilities and the fairway woods tie in?

Even now, I find it weird going from a 3 iron to U45 18* becasue of the 98 gram Nippon feel, Ill intentionally swap the 5 woods just to get into the graphite segment whenever possible.

Don't be surprised if your swing speed is the same going from 95 to 110 grams. Good contact and ball speed is more important.