2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan power thrust irons

spezza11

My Power thrusts & their original pant:
nice and in great shape and with the paint scheme most popular

Thanks for the pic

My Power Thrusts & their original paint (one more in the "gold signature" column):
do you game these?

The next bag I put together will be a "classic" bag, and these PT 62s are going in it.

I am the very fortunate 2nd owner of these out-of-the-time-capsule beauties. There are more pics in this Hogan iron thread I started & need to get back to:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__ rackmageddon

FWIW, as a high handicapper, I love the way they feel; couldn't be easier to tell good from bad strikes!

Rackmegeddon, what a classic! One of my earliest memories of using this site is following the rackmageddon thread. Great photo too Guisician.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rackmegeddon, what a classic! One of my earliest memories of using this site is following the rackmageddon thread. Great photo too Guisician.

I agree. Too bad it stalled out, I was eagerly awaiting reviews of the '73's

Looking to start r up again, maybe this weekend.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Here are the new sticks in the bag. We are in the middle of a storm right now about 30cms lol so simulator soon until mid-end April for now

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

• 2 months later...

Here are the new sticks in the bag. We are in the middle of a storm right now about 30cms lol so simulator soon until mid-end April for now

Have you played these yet?

My 1961 set arrives this week and I will re-shaft them with Nippon 1150gh Tour X's.

I have re-shafted several Hogan pinned irons without any trouble in getting the pin out. I just use a sharpened nail punch (a thirty deg. angle from being flat - not too pointy). I give the pin a light whack with the punch and a hammer to put a dent in the pin and then place the punch into the dent and give it one good solid whack to get the pin to come out the other side (back to front). I then heat the hosel with a torch for about 5 seconds and pull the pin with vise grips.

These heads are heavy with a three inch hosel. I am thinking of cutting off 1/2" of the hosel before re-shafting and then swing-weighting the club with lead tape at the toe to move the CG closer to the middle of the club face.

My 1961 set arrives this week and I will re-shaft them with Nippon 1150gh Tour X's.

I have re-shafted several Hogan pinned irons without any trouble in getting the pin out. I just use a sharpened nail punch (a thirty deg. angle from being flat - not too pointy). I give the pin a light whack with the punch and a hammer to put a dent in the pin and then place the punch into the dent and give it one good solid whack to get the pin to come out the other side (back to front). I then heat the hosel with a torch for about 5 seconds and pull the pin with vise grips.

These heads are heavy with a three inch hosel. I am thinking of cutting off 1/2" of the hosel before re-shafting and then swing-weighting the club with lead tape at the toe to move the CG closer to the middle of the club face.

I haven't played them yet (likely this weekend) the weather has finely turned. That said a few weeks ago in a thaw I did hit half a dozen 4 irons and they hit very well. I have had the lofts and lies tweaked in and they very nice from what I have hit. I would be very strongly against cutting the hostel off!!!!!

When I reshafted my regardless of the hosel length a straight pull shaft from a modern titleist head fit very well to just a hair difference for sitting in the hosel. Must be due to where the hosel depth finished of course

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

I haven't played them yet (likely this weekend) the weather has finely turned. That said a few weeks ago in a thaw I did hit half a dozen 4 irons and they hit very well. I have had the lofts and lies tweaked in and they very nice from what I have hit. I would be very strongly against cutting the hostel off!!!!!

When I reshafted my regardless of the hosel length a straight pull shaft from a modern titleist head fit very well to just a hair difference for sitting in the hosel. Must be due to where the hosel depth finished of course

The last set I re-shafted are the Hogan '64 PT III's with a three inch hosel using a Nippon 1050gh tapered tip .355 inch shaft. I have also re-shafted the '58 Hogan Starbursts having a three inch hosel (Slazenger version) with Project X's Satins (6.0's) having a tapered tip at .355 inches. I plan to remove down to the bottom of the knurl pattern on the hosel of the '61 Power Thrusts which is about 3/8 inch or at least to the top of the knurl pattern which is about 1/4 inch. I have lead tape to compensate for the reduction in swing-weight. As I had mentioned, the work goes quickly (about 1/2 and hour per club). I have also have the benefit of having a neighbour who has worked on club-making and fitting for the PGA tour for seven years living a few doors down who will spine the shafts for me and ensure the swing-weights are what I want (D2). He too is one who cringes at the idea of cutting off a portion of the hosel but the new 24 hour epoxy glues are extremely good (the club making neighbour says he uses the 5 minute epoxy and has never had a problem) so I am confident that the result will be OK.

I plan to weight the higher toe area to move the CG closer to the center of the club face and higher to keep the trajectory down (the Nippon shafts launch a tad higher than a Dynamic S300/X100 so in the end, the flight should be what I want). I love tinkering.

Those PT's look sweet!! Enjoy gaming those. I have some vintage bags in "regular rotation"...Here's some Hogan Directors I refurbished (sharpened grooves, polished, paint filled w/ rasta theme, re-gripped w/ sharpro full-cords) and stuck in in an old W/S green bag

Those PT's look sweet!! Enjoy gaming those. I have some vintage bags in "regular rotation"...Here's some Hogan Directors I refurbished (sharpened grooves, polished, paint filled w/ rasta theme, re-gripped w/ sharpro full-cords) and stuck in in an old W/S green bag

The Director '74's look sweet. The 2 1/2" hosel on them and toe weighting put the COG dead center on the club face. I almost bought a set a of the '74's a couple of days ago but chose to get the Power Thrust '61's instead because they are harder to find. The '74's will likely be my next project.

heading out this sunday finally......we got a bit of snow the other weekend. Courses are starting to open here on the east coast of canada this weekend and next. Can't to get out. Plus to use these power thrusts. My buddies don't know i have these at all.......I am interested to their reactions. most I play with like the look of old stuff but would never consider it. All ways have the newest in the bag........(my woods are newer though) so what are you gonna do!

Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

How bout testing the 1960 Power Thrust. I have set of these.

John F. Kennedy actually owned a set of 1960 Power Thrust irons and they were sold in auction several years ago.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

heading out this sunday finally......we got a bit of snow the other weekend. Courses are starting to open here on the east coast of canada this weekend and next. Can't to get out. Plus to use these power thrusts. My buddies don't know i have these at all.......I am interested to their reactions. most I play with like the look of old stuff but would never consider it. All ways have the newest in the bag........(my woods are newer though) so what are you gonna do!

The '61 Power Thrusts arrived yesterday along with the Nippon 1150gh shaft pulls. I spent a couple of hours un-pinning the 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 irons, pulling the old shafts out, removing the weight plugs in the ends of the new shaft pulls and cleaning up the tapered end. The shafts are set to be used for the 3 to 9 irons (I will need to get a couple more shafts for the rest of the set; one for each of the 2 and Equalizer). I kept the 6 iron intact for now (it has the original Hogan regular shaft with the Hogan leather wrap grip) and took it to the course today. My main set today was the '64 Hogan PT III with Nippon 1050gh X shafts and Iomic grips. I hit a few practice shots with the Power Thrust and used in on one par 3 of 186 yds. The ball hit the front of the green and checked within 5 feet, 15 feet short of the hole. The flight was very straight with a nice penetrating flight. Overall, my impression was that the club hit the ball well as is with the original shaft, however, the old shaft did not react as well with an off center hit like the Nippon shaft did in the PT IIIs (there was more vibration felt with the old shaft). On center hits were strong with a nice ball flight. I am going to now spine the shafts, glue the heads on (#6 included) and then swing-weight the set with some lead tape. Finally, I will put in some new paint fill and clean them up a bit. I like the way the club sits and looks with its thin top line and am looking forward to using the Power Thrusts a lot this season.

John F. Kennedy actually owned a set of 1960 Power Thrust irons and they were sold in auction several years ago.

Ross, I believe yours are '61s just like mine. JFK's were supposedly also '61s, not '60s.

Yes, you are right. Mine are actually 1961 models and so were JFK's

Check out the Hogan Utility Wedge.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2014 Ping G-30 10.5

Ross, I believe yours are '61s just like mine. JFK's were supposedly also '61s, not '60s.

Nice...Pro-Fit shafts?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Nice...Pro-Fit shafts?

I'm not sure if they are Pro-Fit or NDI

I know they had 2 options back then.

Pro-Fit or NDI? How do you tell the difference?

Nice...Pro-Fit shafts?

I'm not sure if they are Pro-Fit or NDI

I know they had 2 options back then.

Pro-Fit or NDI? How do you tell the difference?

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2014 Ping G-30 10.5

Another picture of hogan shaft band 0n 1961 Power Thrust Irons

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2014 Ping G-30 10.5

The '61 Power Thrusts are assembled with the Nippon 1150gh shafts and are as expected; a joy to hit and very controllable. The shaft makes a huge difference compared to the OEM NDI shafts (as shown directly above in the previous post). I have yet to have the clubs swing-weighted but I think they are all pretty close to being on target. I have decided not to shorten the hosel down to the knurling pattern which is about 1/4 inch. I have freshened the paint fill and I will post some pictures shortly.

(The '61 Power Thrusts are assembled with the Nippon 1150gh shafts and are as expected; a joy to hit and very controllable. The shaft makes a huge difference compared to the OEM NDI shafts (as shown directly above in the previous post). I have yet to have the clubs swing-weighted but I think they are all pretty close to being on target. I have decided not to shorten the hosel down to the knurling pattern which is about 1/4 inch. I have freshened the paint fill and I will post some pictures shortly.)

I can't wait to see those beauties. I may have to do the same thing to mine.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2014 Ping G-30 10.5

I must say I really like those old Hogan irons. Which set do you like the best?

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2014 Ping G-30 10.5

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I really like those old Hogan irons. Which set do you like the best?

The shafts on all these sets are different from one another making a "valid" overall comparison very difficult; I find all about equal to one another, honestly and they are all quite sweet to hit. The '64 PTIII's hit the ball the lowest while the 58's, 61's and 68's are all about the same with more weight near the sole thus giving at the feeling, at least, of a higher trajectory.