2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arcadia Bluffs weekend trip -June

lilc2334

Hello fellow golfers,

We have finally done it! My friends and I finally found a weekend where we all have off and can finally play Arcadia. This is the same group that went with me to Kohler 3 years back. Anyways, I've been reading all the pages dedicated to Arcadia on GolfWRX and yet I still have questions of my own. I've read about the long rounds and will be prepared.

First week of June is our plan. Drive up Saturday and play an afternoon round. We plan on staying at the lodge overnight (about $100 per) and playing a morning round before driving back to Chicago after the second round.

How is the course condition in early June?

Has anyone stayed overnight at Arcadia? Nice accommodations?

Does the long rounds take away from the experience?

What are your honest personal experiences on Arcadia?

Appreciate the help guys. Sorry for another redundant page.

Lilc2334

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei AV White Raw X 
Taylormade SIM UDI 2-Iron
Nike Vr Pro Blades P-4 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 
Ping Blade 2.0 Wedges 50*54*60*
Odyssey White Ice #1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never played it in June, always the first weekend in May for their early season special. I always found the conditioning to be superb for a course in Northern MI in May. Greens were super fast. I'd think June would be even better. Of the 6 or so times I played it, once or twice the greens had been recently aerated. So my guess is early to mid May they aerate, but even then the greens rolled great. That's the only potential issue I could see, other than weather as MI can still be cool in early June with the winds off the Lake, especially further north.

As to long rounds, yeah it's not a quick play but it's not like you get bored out there. I enjoyed every minute of it, and when I was out there I was perfectly content with things moving slow so I could soak it all in.

Early June in Northern Michigan should be fine, they would be at the back end of the 1st 1/3 of the season by then, so conditions shouldn't be an issue. Greens won't be at tip top summer speed yet but should be just fine.

If it were me I would be sure and ask them a few weeks prior if and when they aerate in the spring.

I had a friend arrive up there 2 days after aeration and was very pi$$ed that his group was not notified.

I am not saying that they do aerate in the spring, but if by chance they decide to do so this year ... I would want to know.

Watch the weather, you can get 3 seasons in a day anytime you're at Arcadia.

I have not stayed overnight at Arcadia, but I've seen the lodging at the course and it's almost all brand new. Would have to think it's top notch, especially based on the pics available on their website.

Plan on a 5hr round, it is what it is. The only way this will detract from your experience is if you think you'll be able to play it in 3hr 30min, which won't happen. Take in the views and enjoy the day.

I've been there twice, important to pick the proper set of tees for your group. It's much more playable off the tee than it appears but that doesn't make the holes any shorter. Spend some time at the short game area before your rounds.

As others have said, you shouldn't have weather issues in early June. And by weather issues, I'm assuming you're meaning cold weather. It will be a little cooler right next to the lake, but I would anticipate a nice summer day.

Never played in June. All of my rounds have come in the fall. However, when I played there this past fall I tweeted them and asked about their aeration schedule because I knew with my early October round I'd be cutting it close. They responded within a couple of hours with their schedule, which was about 3 days after our round. Their customer service has always been top notch every time I've been up there.

I've never stayed the night up there, but the lodge does look quite beautiful. I've always just driven the two hours home afterwards.

Honestly, I'm always so blown away by the beauty of the surroundings that I don't even notice the length of rounds. The only time I was even remotely aware of it was this past fall and that's because we were cutting it close to sunset. Most of the time you're just in awe of the course and how spectacular it is that you don't really pay attention.

Personally I love the golf course. I made it a point to go back and play this past fall when I was in MI for a couple weddings. The greens were probably the fastest I've ever played (only comparison would be Spyglass), but overall the course is very scoreable. If you keep the ball in play off the tee and don't leave yourself too many long lag putts (easier said than done) you can really put a number on the board.

Here's my tip and it echoes what cwglum said: Find the right set of tees. The golf course for the most part is VERY playable and really quite forgiving off the tee. However, the green complexes is where the course has it's teeth. If you're hitting hybrids into every green because you're playing too far back you're not going to enjoy it or get the full experience. For example, my dad is a 10 handicap and shot 92 with 45 putts. The greens just ate him up.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

I've never played it in June, always the first weekend in May for their early season special. I always found the conditioning to be superb for a course in Northern MI in May. Greens were super fast. I'd think June would be even better. Of the 6 or so times I played it, once or twice the greens had been recently aerated. So my guess is early to mid May they aerate, but even then the greens rolled great. That's the only potential issue I could see, other than weather as MI can still be cool in early June with the winds off the Lake, especially further north.

As to long rounds, yeah it's not a quick play but it's not like you get bored out there. I enjoyed every minute of it, and when I was out there I was perfectly content with things moving slow so I could soak it all in.

I'm going with a group the first weekend in may this year. Will be our first time. Praying for anything above 50 and no rain. Playing Arcadia, Forest Dunes and a couple courses at Treetops....We are stoked.

I played it in June before and it was perfect.

As far as the long rounds go, I didn't have any issues with it being long when I played there. We actually did 36 that day and had no issues at all. 7:30am morning tee time, stopped for lunch and made our next tee time around 1 with no problem at all.

golflefty did an internship up there for a summer, you should shoot him a message.

Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Pro 63 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder X-Stiff

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist T100 4-9 PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM6 46* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/60* PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

I played it in June before and it was perfect.

As far as the long rounds go, I didn't have any issues with it being long when I played there. We actually did 36 that day and had no issues at all. 7:30am morning tee time, stopped for lunch and made our next tee time around 1 with no problem at all.

golflefty did an internship up there for a summer, you should shoot him a message.

I talked to golflefty, he gave me a lot of good info. Thanks again.

Appreciate all the info guys. Helps out a bunch.

Odyssey White Ice #1

I'm going with a group the first weekend in may this year. Will be our first time. Praying for anything above 50 and no rain. Playing Arcadia, Forest Dunes and a couple courses at Treetops....We are stoked.

Good luck. I've had a few rounds there in the 50s and 60s and sunny and it was incredibly pleasant and gorgeous. But I've also played a few rounds there where it was brutal cold. One round the car temp said 37 when we got out, another was mid 40s with high winds and light rain. It's all part of the experience though, best of luck.

I've done the first week of May in Kohler. First day playing the Irish course (Friday) we had 40* temps with 30mph+ winds, rain, and the May flies just hatched. Crazy day. Unfortunately and honestly I don't remember that round. Saturday we played both courses at Black Wolf and the weather was in the low 60's with sun. Awesome day. Sunday was even better weather mid 60's playing the Straights course with 20 mph winds. Overall it was a really fun experience.

Odyssey White Ice #1

I've done the first week of May in Kohler. First day playing the Irish course (Friday) we had 40* temps with 30mph+ winds, rain, and the May flies just hatched. Crazy day. Unfortunately and honestly I don't remember that round. Saturday we played both courses at Black Wolf and the weather was in the low 60's with sun. Awesome day. Sunday was even better weather mid 60's playing the Straights course with 20 mph winds. Overall it was a really fun experience.

We're prepared for the worst, hoping for the best..I know it's a crapshoot.

We're prepared for the worst, hoping for the best..I know it's a crapshoot.

That's all you can do. I have a prediction. 2 weeks prior to your trip you'll start looking at the weather. 1 week prior you'll look every few hours for the weather :)

Odyssey White Ice #1

We played arcadia last summer the first week of June. We had a 8:00 tee time and was really foggy. We were going to tray and wait it out but couldn't because they had an outing in the afternoon. It was foggy until about the 13th or 14th hole, so foggy didn't even see my hole in one on #6. The views were great once the fog lifted. This would be my only concern, but you can't control mother nature

Regarding the lodging, it's fine, but was really more designed with couples in mind. Originally, they just had single king beds. They have since retrofitted with a rollaway single, but still. They know they are the only game in town for lodging, so people stay there.

Some more info here.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1284550-july-traverse-city-golf-trip-little-help/#entry12960696

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013