Driver Length Long Drive

CmacLD

One issue that continues to come up is Driver Length , The LDA has a Max driver length of 50" stand up. PGA is 48" stand up,,, not to many PGA pros use the max length but almost all LDers use the 50" . So I was at a indoor range and a few guys approached me and ask if my driver was legal. It was a Krank 5* HofF shaft 48" I said it was ,and they had a hard time believing it. I have a hard time to use the full 50' at my height ,but most use it. I think most golfers look at long drivers as big guys swinging non conforming clubs. Am I right ? Also if the drivers have to be conforming to PGA standards for any LD event would that be more respected and draw more people to the events. It was impressive to watch the final 8 on golf channel but not impressive to see all the OB's , with 2" off there would be more balls in the grid,,distance would suffer some what but you would still see 400 from the top guys. Any thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Sadlowski uses a 48" shaft? I don't think they should have to conform to the PGA standard of 48" considering they are just hitting it onto a Grid as far as they can. Would it draw more attention? I'm not sure. I do remember when Jamie went against Bubba, DJ and another PGA Long Driver and beat them by about 40-50 yards with a stock 45" shaft.

Were those stats in your Avy with your LD club or 'stock' driver? Impressive either way. I'd love to have that Angle of Attack...mine is normally around -2* or -3*.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I think it's the combination of length, torque, and speed that guys have to mold together. I could never go past 48". A lot of those guys are 6' 4'' - 6" 6" so the longer club isn't that much of a stretch. Then again, I've always had the smash factor mentality, that focusing on solid contact rather than all out speed would get me where I want to go. They know they gotta hit 400 to win, so it's all out. I keep hearing Jamie is the only one around 150 MPH, but the smash factor allows the guys in the low to mid 140's to compete. That and his inability to hit the grid when it's money time....I'm very surprised Sellinger didn't try to get 5-10,000 people in the seats for those events. Maybe the Golf Channel will change things up a little.......

The LDA measures their clubs differently than the PGA. The way it works out, the LDA 50" limit is around 48" or so, maybe a half inch over (?), depending on the club head (LDA clubs are measured by standing the club upright, so the length is determined by the shaft and the club head, rather than just the shaft).

The #s are from a Ping Anser 8.5* Diamana 'ahina 70 X 45" at the time this trackman was not picking up balls above 180mph that well (better outdoors)I t was indoors and needed to be set up for higher balls speeds. I get to 130CHS with a 48" and not much higher with a 50" and loss of control ,,Jamie has won with a 50" and 48" he is not the norm he hits his putter 300yards. I am hoping the GC will force us to use all USGA conforming clubs I think you would still see impressive and more consistent #s ,,,

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the combination of length, torque, and speed that guys have to mold together. I could never go past 48". A lot of those guys are 6' 4'' - 6" 6" so the longer club isn't that much of a stretch. Then again, I've always had the smash factor mentality, that focusing on solid contact rather than all out speed would get me where I want to go. They know they gotta hit 400 to win, so it's all out. I keep hearing Jamie is the only one around 150 MPH, but the smash factor allows the guys in the low to mid 140's to compete. That and his inability to hit the grid when it's money time....I'm very surprised Sellinger didn't try to get 5-10,000 people in the seats for those events. Maybe the Golf Channel will change things up a little.......

Solid contact is essential to hitting the ball a long ways, but you have to have speed as well. If there is only a couple MPH difference in CHS then I'd probably go with the shorter. Some guys it's a bigger gap...about a 6-8mph difference in CHS for me, so I go with the longer club. The speed difference usually negates the bad contact for me, but when you make great contact with the longer club(which you should be able to do with 6 balls) it's not even close

• 3 weeks later...

How the LDA measures at worlds actually is on a 48 inch Lie board. And if your driver is longer by any means, they either take grip off and cut it and re grip, or they shave off the butt end of grip to fit. Normally what they used to do was measure vertical, that changed with Golf Channel got on board. The one thing one MUST NOT DO, is mess with Swing Weight when getting one built. These drivers are meant to be long and feel a certain way for performance issues. This is not a golf swing, and your not trying to control it either, your trying to swing your BUTT off and hope it goes straight. All clubs we use are USGA Conforming, they have to be and are tested. Consistent numbers in distance is up to the hitter and conditions. If your hitting a 2 inch less driver than your hitter on the tee, it will be very hard to hit past them if he swings faster than you. This is not a control sport, but a distance sport.

#YumaMade #YTown

I believe the 50"standup is still the rule this is from the LDA website,,I think my point was if it was known to all that the Clubs were not special length as we do know the heads are made stronger and shafts stiffer,would it do a better job to promote the sport It is about distance but if all you need to do to get through a round after a guy went OB 6 is hit the grid the control is what is needed, clublengthmeasure.png

I think that is part of the reason they changed the rules. Instead of having only 6 balls, now you have 2:45 to hit as many balls as you can in the grid. I think the change was a good one and makes it more exciting. I give props to those who swing a 48" club though. I've never tried it, but I can only imagine it being pretty difficult hitting the center.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

• 11 months later...

Driver length for LD guys ranges depending on their personal preference. Some guys swing just as fast with 48 (lda) as they do with 50 (lda) but make better contact. In theory, a couple inches longer should equal more CHS but way too many factors in an all out swing to make a blanket statement.

TSi3 Ventus Black 6TX

TSi2  Ventus Black 7X

3 T100s Tour AD DI 95X

4-GW T100s PX LZ 6.0

MG3 52, 56, 60 

PXG 0311 53, 58

PXG Blackjack/Scotty phantom 11

• 4 weeks later...