2016 ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open

AKL Kiwi

Great report Mathy, thank you!

The course looks wonderful...and, really, the entire location/geography looks glorious! What are your winters like there?

You live in Utah, right? Our summers are similar to yours. Our winter is similar to your late Autumn, but with higher overnight temps. In the city, we don't get 0 degrees C.Winter is often less windy than other times of the year, cold and sometimes wet. All of the UK members at our club reckon it's very similar to an English summer lol :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report! It's so nice to get the up close view and include the crowd input. Thanks so much Mathy! Looking forward to hearing more! BTW, if you see Jodi Hyphen, tell her DP4 said hi.

Would this be Jodi Hyphen from England? If so, she made the cut, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for her and pass on your best wishes - she's T39 at E :)

It is with the "Hyphen" coming from her last names. Enjoy!

Well, Day 2 has drawn to a close. The wind has blown the field away and left us with what I call a "proper" Aussie Open scoreboard - led by a Pom and a Scot, with Karrie lurking 2 shots back. It's a very nice scenario. The record shooter from yesterday, SooBin Kim, had a cow of a time with the wind and a late arvo tee time - she shot +5, to be T11 at -4. Bad news for her and the rest playing late, is that Saturday is going to be windy, and so is Sunday, but the wind is going to change direction.

I walker/scored for a late group, who I shall not embarrass by naming. Seriously, I could have played some of these holes better than they - even off the men's tees. Do women pro players not have the ability to shape the ball or keep it under the wind? Or work out how many clubs more or less they need due to the wind? I just about died of boredom out there as my group collectively shot +10, and it was only that low because, to give them some credit, they did manage to scramble a few shots to save par. Player XYZ is playing an approach shot into the green, hard left to right wind - puts it as high up into the air as possible and then looks confused when it disappears into a bunker - again! Player XYZ plays shot to green, downwind, and looks all confused when it runs off the back - and so on. Wasn't just my group, Minjee Lee shot +5 (and she should know better). Su Oh shot +3 with the course designer on her bag. Lydia cautiously plotted her way around the course. There were 55 rounds out of 156 the were par or better - in other words, roughly 60% of the field shot over par - and the really difficult pins haven't come out yet.

So, having had my whinge, tell me, as you peeps see far for more of this golf live than I do, why is there no ability to play the punch shot, the low running drive etc. ? It's very pretty to play toweringly high golf shots, but when they get knocked down out of the sky, and in the wrong direction, you'd surely be thinking to yourself there has to be a better way of doing this? I'm pretty sure the Pom and the Scot in the lead are being creative, and I know that Webby delights in the challenges of creative shot making.

Speaking of Karrie, I did watch her last 9 holes. She didn't hit it that well today, but the putter is still playing nicely. Hoping that she can get rid of the "rights" and her irons playing sweetly for tomorrow. She shot -1, playing pretty scratchy.

On a lovely note, one of my players gave me a signed ball as a thank you - was a big plus after a 5+ hour round. Even better, she was the one that played the conditions the best on the day, and finished with a "sandy birdie". She's tiny and she's Mexican - hits the ball a long way and has a lot of talent, I'll be looking out for her :)

So, on "moving day" I'm having the day off - I am trying to move house in the midst of all this! I'll note that my Smokey: Karrie Webb is sitting pretty, and shot her best score of the 2 days in the wind. She also won this event, by one stroke over Chella Choi, in 2014 at The Victoria Golf Club, in very windy conditions. Victoria is a very similar course to The Grange West. Look out for Jiyai Shin and Ha Na Yang, they both did well in the late afternoon wind. The word is that Lydia played safe/conservatively - so we may see something different from her over the next 2 days.

Let the weekend begin!

Great report! It's so nice to get the up close view and include the crowd input. Thanks so much Mathy! Looking forward to hearing more! BTW, if you see Jodi Hyphen, tell her DP4 said hi.

Would this be Jodi Hyphen from England? If so, she made the cut, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for her and pass on your best wishes - she's T39 at E :)

It is with the "Hyphen" coming from her last names. Enjoy!

Got it, I'm not back out until Sunday, but I'll keep my eye out for her cheers :)

Thx Mathy, have fun moving..

Given that 97% of the telecast centered on the Ko/Jang/Lee group all I can say is that I thought Ha Na played great and didn't get a lot out of it, Lydia played safe but didn't do 'safe' overly well and without a few really good par saves she wouldn't be still in this and Minjee. Well. Minjee was just awful...

Well two out of the three players I have caddied for made the cut...Paula Reto (-4) and Kim Kaufman (+2) (she made it on the number), Brianna Do was not so lucky...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

On a lovely note, one of my players gave me a signed ball as a thank you - was a big plus after a 5+ hour round. Even better, she was the one that played the conditions the best on the day, and finished with a "sandy birdie". She's tiny and she's Mexican - hits the ball a long way and has a lot of talent, I'll be looking out for her :)

I know which group you had. I was a standard bearer at the Lotte the last two years and I walked with the player you talk about last year. She is very friendly and you are correct very small. She won a Symetra Tour event last year so she has game.

I know which group you had. I was a standard bearer at the Lotte the last two years and I walked with the player you talk about last year. She is very friendly and you are correct very small. She won a Symetra Tour event last year so she has game.

She had it to -3 and then got a bit greedy on the 11th and got into the fairway bunker = bogey, took the wind out of her sails. A couple more mistakes and that was it, unfortunately. Still, she's young yet. And she can putt, unlike a lot of them!

Given that 97% of the telecast centered on the Ko/Jang/Lee group all I can say is that I thought Ha Na played great and didn't get a lot out of it, Lydia played safe but didn't do 'safe' overly well and without a few really good par saves she wouldn't be still in this and Minjee. Well. Minjee was just awful...

There was no excuse for the coverage being like that, they've got cameras everywhere - still, at the time of the broadcast (mid to late afternoon) the golf elsewhere, was pretty excruciating - I was listening to the scores over the radio.

I think Minjee is wearing the pressure of being in the limelight - she's pretty "big" over here and probably too young/inexperienced at handling that. I expect Mum to give her a talking to! Also, playing with Yang/Ko - bit of ego getting in the way? Anyway, I expect a better performance from her today, but barring a wipeout at the top, she's lost her chance, and she'll have to put it down to experience.

Well, Day 2 has drawn to a close. The wind has blown the field away and left us with what I call a "proper" Aussie Open scoreboard - led by a Pom and a Scot, with Karrie lurking 2 shots back. It's a very nice scenario. The record shooter from yesterday, SooBin Kim, had a cow of a time with the wind and a late arvo tee time - she shot +5, to be T11 at -4. Bad news for her and the rest playing late, is that Saturday is going to be windy, and so is Sunday, but the wind is going to change direction.

I walker/scored for a late group, who I shall not embarrass by naming. Seriously, I could have played some of these holes better than they - even off the men's tees. Do women pro players not have the ability to shape the ball or keep it under the wind?

Mathy, you got to disclose the names. :no2: This is what a discussion board is for. No shaming , just opinions. I want to know which tour players play the wind worse than a 14 capper. My guess is the Mexican is Alejandra Llaneza? Please save me the leg work to find out the other two. :)

There was no excuse for the coverage being like that, they've got cameras everywhere - still, at the time of the broadcast (mid to late afternoon) the golf elsewhere, was pretty excruciating - I was listening to the scores over the radio.

I think Minjee is wearing the pressure of being in the limelight - she's pretty "big" over here and probably too young/inexperienced at handling that. I expect Mum to give her a talking to! Also, playing with Yang/Ko - bit of ego getting in the way? Anyway, I expect a better performance from her today, but barring a wipeout at the top, she's lost her chance, and she'll have to put it down to experience.

Minjee has come out firing this morning, -4 thru 8, obviously that Mum chat worked wonders..

Hope she hangs it together coming in.

Three South Koreans have earned the last three places in the field for the ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open. Twenty-year-old professional Eunwoo Choi and 16-year-old amateur Eun Jeong Seong both carded three-under par 69s on the east course of the Grange to lead a field of 81 players in the final qualifying today.The third spot went to a 16-year-old member of Korea's national amateur team, Hye Jin Choi, who carded a 70.

Hmmm....3 Koreans obtain all the Monday qualifying spots.

Jan Stephenson must be freaking out over her home country national open.

"Jan Stephenson told Golf Magazine Koreans were "killing" the tour."

http://www.travelgolf.com/departments/editorials/lpga-asian-golfers-564.htm

Ugh. This had to be one of the most boring telecasts in a very long time. The morning wave appears to have had more action. Hopefully, tomorrow's coverage will keep me awake.

Agree...and the lame back and forth between the two Aussie gals is really annoying.

And we have 2 more weeks of the Aussies in Thailand and Singapore...ugh.

Tournament Rounds:

PGA:

Ryo Ishikawa

Camilo Villegas

Good for you....but I'm surprised these two would use a local loop vs. their regular caddie.

It was more of the situation, issues with their caddies and I was the senior caddy so I got the call from the pro shop...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Alejandra Llaneza???

I walker/scored for a late group, who I shall not embarrass by naming. Seriously, I could have played some of these holes better than they - even off the men's tees. Do women pro players not have the ability to shape the ball or keep it under the wind? Or work out how many clubs more or less they need due to the wind? I just about died of boredom out there as my group collectively shot +10,

On a lovely note, one of my players gave me a signed ball as a thank you -

Mathy

Many of the gals have one dimensional games....it's especially common to see also in their chipping too.

All the gals should offered to give signed golf balls to their group's walking scorer and standard bearer....many of the old guys might say it's not necessary...but if it's a kid/teenager.....it's expected from all the pros to offer up signed golf balls.

Because of your conflicting volunteering times...I think you missed out on watching Belen SMOKEHOUSE Mozo..she has sex appeal oozing out of each pour in her body....but she missed the cut and near DFL.....this might be her last year on tour if this keeps up....she has low priority status.

Though you could drive to the Aussie Masters next week to fanboy her. :taunt:

All the gals should offered to give signed golf balls to their group's walking scorer and standard bearer....many of the old guys might say it's not necessary...but if it's a kid/teenager.....it's expected from all the pros to offer up signed golf balls.

Have to disagree that all should offer; it is their choice. Most do provide a ball, but I have scored for a few that don't offer balls.

I walker/scored for a late group, who I shall not embarrass by naming. Seriously, I could have played some of these holes better than they - even off the men's tees. Do women pro players not have the ability to shape the ball or keep it under the wind?

Mathy, you got to disclose the names. :no2: This is what a discussion board is for. No shaming , just opinions. I want to know which tour players play the wind worse than a 14 capper. My guess is the Mexican is Alejandra Llaneza? Please save me the leg work to find out the other two. :)

Yes it was AL, the other players were Carro Hedwell and Inori Inuki - and I'll add that I'm a female 14 capper :)

Mathy

Many of the gals have one dimensional games....it's especially common to see also in their chipping too.

Because of your conflicting volunteering times...I think you missed out on watching Belen SMOKEHOUSE Mozo..she has sex appeal oozing out of each pour in her body....but she missed the cut and near DFL.....this might be her last year on tour if this keeps up....she has low priority status.

Fanboy her? I don't think so, you have obviously made an erroneous assumption :rofl: There are women who follow golf with an interest in the game - just saying …..

Llaneza, Caroline Hedwall, Lori Onuki.

Have to disagree that all should offer; it is their choice. Most do provide a ball, but I have scored for a few that don't offer balls.

Oh....you've been a walking scorer for Crusty Kerr more than once? :to_become_senile:

Mathy

Fanboy her? I don't think so, you have obviously made an erroneous assumption :rofl: There are women who follow golf with an interest in the game - just saying …..

:rofl: Please forgive 22Putt, he thinks it is mandatory on this discussion board to worship Belen Mozo and Hee Young Park

Oh sorry.....you're a fangirl.

Do you wear knee highs when you play golf?...if yes...then you'll be a favorite poster among the boys here....added points if you're a hot Korean lady too. :taunt:

e.g.) see Argonne69's women's fashion thread....it's 60 pages and counting.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1174523-lpgaklpgaletjlpga-golf-fashion-on-course/

Hmmmm....interesting....your avatar is a dog...Kaysquare is another female member here who also has a canine as an avatar.

:rofl: Please forgive 22Putt, he thinks it is mandatory on this discussion board to worship Belen Mozo and Hee Young Park

At least I have fine taste in women vs. your claim of SNaP as your future Mrs. 4waymiss....lucky for you someone else stepped up to the plate. :stink:

Though I think Tesuque claims SMOKEHOUSE as his own...he even has a pic of Belen and he as his avatar....he's gonna be crying in a month when Belen doesn't make the roster/field in Phoenix....oh well...he'll focus his fandom on Jodi Hyphen.

Oh sorry.....you're a fangirl.

Do you wear knee highs when you play golf?...if yes...then you'll be a favorite poster among the boys here....added points if you're a hot Korean lady too. :taunt:

e.g.) see Argonne69's women's fashion thread....it's 60 pages and counting.

http://www.golfwrx.c...hion-on-course/

Hmmmm....interesting....your avatar is a dog...Kaysquare is another female member here who also has a canine as an avatar.

The knee highs look great on the Koreans, but in OZ they're fashionable for old men :taunt: Seriously, 60 pages on fashion? Hmmm.

That is not a mere dog. That's an Italian Greyhound, in fact, that's the IG than I am a servant of lol