2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

jbhawx to me it is much simpler to say the hinge(s) or pivot point(s) moves. And if the CG just happens to move with this, that is fine, but technically the CG does not (directly) change the arc or the position of it.

I'll still contest that the center of the swing does not move much and it is the deflection from impact with the ball that causes the bigger divot, with pro striker swings, after the impact point.

Also, how much "weight" is true mass shifting position and how much of it is simply the centripetal force of the swing which is greatest PAST impact? Centripetal force by itself will give the impression of "weight" as detected by a foot sensor.

LOL yes it is an interesting discussion. A lot of these "expert" conclusions in books and on the internet are based on INCOMPLETE data INTERPRETATION.

Edit: Remember we are talking about an industry that couldn't get the ball flight laws right...TWICE!!! (And ball flight laws are simple physics!)

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

What if the hips don't turn at the same height? I set up with my trail hip and shoulders

aligned together but tilted into a secondary tilt. Are you saying I need to come out of

my tilt on the back swing? That would be bad juju for me.

Also, if you set up without secondary tilt, you will get into that position at impact

anyway with the trail hip lower than the lead hip; along with the shoulder. So at

some point on the down swing you should lose hips being at the same height,

unless you lower the trail shoulder only, but then lose your shoulder and hip

alignment and leak power.

Isn't it the shoulders that are leaning to the trail side, b/c your trail hand is lower on the grip, while your hips are level at address?

You can set up that way mdg but it curves your spine a little. By kicking in

your trail knee a little that will tilt your hips and align them with your shoulders

so you can tun around a stable spine. This is the secondary tilt of which we

speak.

And with this setup position, the golfer merely goes to full arms extension at the six o'clock position relative to his tilted spine. That will be his point of maximum acceleration, a point PAST impact.

Alternatively, the golfer can set up with a straight spine and then dynamically move into the tilted spine position during the downswing.

Full arms extension (@6 o'clock) is what I've been doing, and practicing all these years. But, I confess, I never knew what secondary tilt was/is, and never really cared to learn....And all this time, I've actually been doing it. :slow_en:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

My thoughts on putting using a calculated backstroke technique......I couldn't do that. I prefer to react to what I see, and what I'm feeling in my feet. For me the biggest factor in having excellent distance control and hitting my intended line is center face contact. That's why I spend a ton of time using to tees to make a gate barely wider than my putter head and hit a couple hundred putts like that. 50 Left hand only, 50 right hand only, 50 both hands. Then putt around the practice green for a half hour to hour. Again, I have the time to do this. I don't think it's possible to develop a backstroke system personally because every single putt and green is different. I could be wrong on that part though. I, again, prefer reacting to the target.

My theory on the low point moving forward is this (probably way off) here goes.

Coming into impact we shift our weight forward, the angle formed with our wrists if done properly will unhinge just after impact, both arms should be extended it this point. So because of this extension and weight shift the low point happens after the ball, even if the head stays back. Weight shift, rotation, extension. That's what I think LOL

Interesting stat too, 4-8 inches. When I was playing good golf I remember my divots starting a good 4-6 inches target side of the ball. I was really obvious on par 3's, I could use the same stub tee forever because the divot was way after contact.

I wrote somewhere, in this confessions thread, that at the start of my DS, I let things fall naturally, in their place, on their own. "Reacting to the target" may have been a better way to say it. But, it definitely applies to Putting.

If it's an uphill putt, I'll evaluate a target past the hole. On a downhill, I'll often take a practice swing, closer to the hole. Same technique applies to any break, I may see. And then, ya, I react to the target. (I let things fall in their place, on their own) :lazy2:

If the center point moves even a fraction towards the perimeter during the motion the swing arc becomes elliptical. ...even from an angle.

The rest of the swing (and thus its normal shape) moves with the center.

So it's a circle with a moving center. Got it.

I once heard a teaching pro describe it as a tilted Ferris Wheel sitting on a merry-go-round. LMAO - A cool way of saying it when you think about it. Incidentally that same instructor had the most training devices I've ever seen one man have. All sorts of stuff I've never seen before or since.

If the center point moves even a fraction towards the perimeter during the motion the swing arc becomes elliptical. ...even from an angle.

I once heard a teaching pro describe it as a tilted Ferris Wheel sitting on a merry-go-round. LMAO - A cool way of saying it when you think about it. Incidentally that same instructor had the most training devices I've ever seen one man have. All sorts of stuff I've never seen before or since.

When someone is really stuck, I imagine that some gadget of sort, might/may help. But, I have yet to meet Mr. Gadget Man that I'll ever recommend, even to a stranger.

I would guess that it would take time and a lot of moolah to be introduced to "training devices" and then be weaned off of them, to get back into the real world.

When someone is really stuck, I imagine that some gadget of sort, might/may help. But, I have yet to meet Mr. Gadget Man that I'll ever recommend, even to a stranger.

I would guess that it would take time and a lot of moolah to be introduced to "training devices" and then be weaned off of them, to get back into the real world.

That's the tough thing about training aids. They can become a crutch. I was told by an instructor to use them in slow motion or for a few balls on the range then hit balls without it. He said you shouldn't pound a bunch of range balls with any device. Go back and forth so you can try to develop a feel in your swing without it.

That's the tough thing about training aids. They can become a crutch. I was told by an instructor to use them in slow motion or for a few balls on the range then hit balls without it. He said you shouldn't pound a bunch of range balls with any device. Go back and forth so you can try to develop a feel in your swing without it.

Here are my training devices over the years (from worst ever to best ever):

Registered Bladeocrat

Sound advice.

Reading between the lines, he's not the type of instructor pushing Training Aids.

I have a Dr. Wiren's, Power Swing Fan, (old school) and a weighted doughnut (for quick warm-up)

^^^^ There seems to be an inverse relationship between the mass and cost!

This is why going low is not the best plan. Screws up the cost per stoke ratio. Why pay 40 cents per stroke when you can do it for ten cents a pop?

Golf is a game where you intentionally try to short change yourself and

get less bangs for the bucks.

Seems to me lately I'm always working on the same 2 things, or I should say I'm determined to fix them.

Arm overrun, just like video you posted Rad.

And knee/leg work to get better hip rotation and maintain the tush line. This one drives me nuts, I'll get it though. I guess it's just hard to break a habit ingrained over years. Prior to WRX I never even knew losing the tush line/ EE/ whatever you wanna call it was a thing, or that I do it. Mine is slight, but good grief it's driving me nuts trying to retrain my legs and hips.

Seems to me lately I'm always working on the same 2 things, or I should say I'm determined to fix them.

And knee/leg work to get better hip rotation and maintain the tush line. This one drives me nuts, I'll get it though. I guess it's just hard to break a habit ingrained over years. Prior to WRX I never even knew losing the tush line/ EE/ whatever you wanna call it was a thing, or that I do it. Mine is slight, but good grief it's driving me nuts trying to retrain my legs and hips.

I like the tip he posted about pushing the trail palm against the lead thumb to

help keep the width...and keeping the width helps prevent the arm runoff.

I found this on the transition which covers a lot of it. I'm a fan of Dan.

Yeah, I like that thought too. I've been watching all of his videos now, thanks Radro!

Yeah, I like that thought too. I've been watching all of his videos now, thanks Radro!

Anytime a video comes along that ties "if-thens" it gets my attention. I like hearing someone explain how individual tendencies can call for a different prescription than opposite tendencies. I also love swing videos where the presenter turns around in three dimensions rather than only down-the-line or only face-on. Personally I could nit-pick a thing or two presented in that video based on my own preferences and such but that would suddenly have me in the position of projecting a message that I'm just right and he is just wrong. The truth is he put out a high quality video there and my nit-picks don't serve anyone or anything beyond a self-serving ego thing. There are some diamonds in the rough out there in video-land. They don't come along that often and can put all the focus only on one part of the swing - or emphasize stuff in mid-swing that can only happen as described if the grip, setup, control of tension, and all things leading up to the point of discussion are managed first and foremost. Good stuff is out there and does go about the message the way Dan did in this one. And he did it for free rather than teasing us with a lot of vague one liners. He tied why components to how components. Its a nice example of how a swing video needs to be put together and presented.

Thanks guys for sharing it. Any points I would be tempted to "yes-but" are overshadowed by the honest way he put that whole message together. If nothing else - any golfer's individual perceptions and mechanisms of relating to the swing would be expanded by giving what he serves up a try with this whole notion of if-thens and imagination about the swing in three dimensions trotted out the way de did. Good stuff!

Hammy the EE thing is an issue and heaven knows I was a horrible sufferer. After some back and shoulder problems developed - EE was the only real way I could get the clubface on the ball.

It goes on in a lot of pro swings to a degree - especially with longer clubs. The most majors ever won by a single golfer (guess who) has a strong dose of EE in his driver swing. Hale Irwin - same.

As long as the golfer can rely on (trust) his overall motion and consistently apply it - a bit of EE is not the end of the world. It's when it becomes the dominant actor - that's where it gets really messy. I notice not too many golfers with an overall flatter swing suffer from it and those who play with a touch of it successfully tend to swing a little bit on a higher plane. Just an observation and there are no doubt exceptions.

This video (believe it or not) is a lesson on the golf swing.

From about 9:30 to 9:40....

When you plant one leg and hip... the other side swings around it like a door hinged one side. But when its time to swing the opposite hip... that fixed and planted side swap over to the opposite side and can then remain so fixed that the whole operation advances FORWARD. The lead side hip has so far to go against that fixed pivot point (hinge point) on the trail side - it simply can't move far enough of fast enough. So the lead side takes it's turn being "fixed" and the trail side advance - FORWARD. And when it does - Hello Sally.

It's possible - and many golfers do it - to "fix" or lock-down the trail hip. But when they do so the lead hip works just like the video and the door that swing from the hinges on one side. For golfer's who do this - the lead side has a long way to go to "clear" - so doing that all needs to happen really FAST - so fast that there is risk of leaving the trail elbow stuck behind the trail hip. A stuck trail elbow is going to lead to a flip or block (or a little of both). Not saying it can't be worked through - just saying it can be one of THE biggest reasons EE happens in the first place.

Some (like old Jack) mastered HOW to do that without the block-flips or any chicken-wing hold-off stuff.

Now - had our buddy Michael Jackson planted a trail foot with a little bit of hip turn depth - followed by a little lead hip turn depth as he moved from 9:30 to 9:40... his march would not have been in the forward direction. It would have been a matter of rotating around a stationary point. Ergo no chance for Sally to visit.

So much for the "Thriller" golf lesson as it applies to hip turn. It's just another way of seeing how the hinges on our "door" do not necessarily have to be fixed on one side - then switching to the opposite side. The "door" of our hips can be a bit more of a revolving door that rotates more around little bit more of a central axis to a great extend...like a revolving door.

Wish I could report my hips turn exactly and precisely that way - there is "some" lateral stuff gong on and I see it in every mirror swing I make despite all efforts. But at least this whole notion helped get Sally to go bug someone else for the most part. LMAO there comes a point when (IMO) a golfer gets it about as good as he can and anything overly forced is not a good thing anymore.

My only personal caution is that this stuff "can" temporarily lead to some whack ball flights when getting used to it. The upper body has leanred to make a lot of corrections and compensations for what's going on from the waist-down. Most likely there will be some fairly big push shots in store. (At least there were for me). But the upper body (given a little more time) will figure out the right new compensations to go with the lower body work. And here's the kicker... it ends up being simpler not more complicated. Things are getting chucked into the waste basket that never needed to be added to the motion in the first place. But if there's a hint of EE in the swing - especially longer club swings - and especially if the golfer loves playing a little power fade.... Its actually (IMO) no biggie. Doing so won one guy more majors than anyone in history.

This stuff is just another reason why I tend to call "bull" on those who insist on starting the downswing with the lower body while the arms are still flowing to the top - and hate any form of pause. THAT CAN WORK and many do it well. But showing a video of a pro's swing only reinforces my point. It's not the best plan for golfers trying to get their hips and transitions working a little better. Seeing such vids of pros is only going to frustrate more amateurs and goad them into trying to be Tiger Woods. In fact it can make bad problems worse IMO. For those who have great hip turns and transitions - fine - sequence it however you want and forget the slight pause. Do your thing! I just think lobbing it out there that its WAY better to turn the lower body while the arm flow is still finishing... kind of like suggesting your daughter's first car should be a dragster.

Anywho...

Jack - meet Michael. Michael - Jack.

Would this help?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_146619670778510&key=202af8f4ce9f2b881bf497a8a3f5add2&libId=ipk7noya0100jaw0000DLq0qff2oy&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfwrx.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F1349128-how-can-i-raise-aoa-with-driver-without-changing-anything-in-my-swing%2F&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FeX3h6FqjK4Y&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfwrx.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsearch%26do%3Duser_activity%26mid%3D61336&reaf=true&title=How%20can%20I%20raise%20AOA%20with%20driver%20without%20changing%20anything%20in%20my%20swing%3F%20-%20Instruction%20%26%20Academy%20-%20GolfWRX&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FeX3h6FqjK4Y

Here's one I've been waiting forever to work into swing talk and this is probably about as close to there being a good time as ever.

Just food for thought as said earlier...

It's entirely possible - and can be done with very little conscious effort - to keep the trail forearm moving during the swing without equating that motion to "throwing" the trail hand through the shot.

Not everyone wants to or needs to even consider that one. But it's a rarely-if-ever discussed, subtle, yet powerful "thing" that matters.

It's SO very tempting to equate the notion of getting the trail elbow work well - and converting THAT into a an almost stalling and deadened motion of the trail forearm with a TON of wrist flip in the trail hand. The two motions in our mind want to operate together for some reason. We often confuse the hands being thrown with what the forearms are doing.

At the point where the trail elbow is moving and that bend in the back of the trail wrist is preserved until that elbow is getting where it needs to be - a light bulb moment can come on where the hand-flip is dissociated from the freedom to go ahead and acceleration through the shot fearlessly and freely. This applies as much to little pitches and such as it does to the driver. Its when we associate the free flowing trail forearm with the urge to lose that bend in the back of the trail wrist early - that no amount of help comes from where that trail elbow is or isn't moving into the strike. And that's where we can tend to get ourselves into some messy problems. Those elusive terms like "effortless power" have some Mamas. I have to believe this idea of keeping the trail arm moving, good trail elbow work, but doing so without "throwing" the trail wrist "at" the ball is one of those mamas. For sure I would bet my soul this is deeply married to getting that divot to be on the target side of the ball. And it must be equally tied to accelerating and extending through the ball rather than "at" it.

LMAO - parts are just matching up all over the house!

Don't know if anyone is noticing it - but so many quality vids - opines - and notions are on the table here lately. You guys are never to be underestimated in terms of what you know and are capable of - especially given what you've all shared and the way you've all shared it. Whacka whack gents! Hitt'em solid and happy Father's day weekend to all.

Man, ya'll got serious about the swing while I was away! :)

Got to play yesterday and the rust showed a bit here and there. Hit a few on the range and my striking was pretty good but swing speed really has dropped quite a bit... in general. Went out and started birdie-birdie and got some confidence after a fairway bunker on the first hole from 80 yards turned into a 4 foot putt for birdie. Second hole, I have no idea what I hit in the fairway, but a poof of dust (the poor course still hasn't recovered from last year) and off it went... for a 330 yard drive! *flex* Of course, at 160 out I came up short-right of a green under regulation. Made a couple errors and had GREAT recoveries, and good putting saved me. Proves that not playing for 6 months leads to better putting for me. :)

Back side... wind came up along with the temperature, my back let me know it had been 6 months flying and not hitting balls, and I played the last 5 holes with a "power draw" that would make Lee Trevino look like a straight ball hitter. At least I made it around without needing a back brace after the round was over.

Final stats:

+3 (75), 9/18 GIR, 8/12 FIR, 28 putts.

Next time out who knows what will happen... probably a 90 or so in 105 degree heat.

Yardages: all over the place. Hitting 9 iron at 120 out instead of a wedge seems very odd to me... but it worked I guess.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dad's!!

Reason, great stuff as usual. You know me, I have a lot of ups and downs, times where I feel I need to be doing more or I feel my dream slipping away. I really really need to hit some golf balls soon. The ball never lies right?! LOL

Great first round back Gaucho, dang!!!! 75 like it ain't no thang!!

Reason, great stuff as usual. You know me, I have a lot of ups and downs, times where I feel I need to be doing more or I feel my dream slipping away. I really really need to hit some golf balls soon. The ball never lies right?! LOL

Couldn't figure out how to ruin it. :)

Couldn't figure out how to ruin it. :)

When I finally get to play, someday LOL, I hope my first round back is like yours haha!

Remember that SubZero driver you were asking about, apparently is pretty darn good. I've been lurking in their thread, unfortunately no left handed dice, unless your last name is Mickelson :taunt:

Here's one I've been waiting forever to work into swing talk and this is probably about as close to there being a good time as ever.

Just food for thought as said earlier...

It's entirely possible - and can be done with very little conscious effort - to keep the trail forearm moving during the swing without equating that motion to "throwing" the trail hand through the shot.

Not everyone wants to or needs to even consider that one. But it's a rarely-if-ever discussed, subtle, yet powerful "thing" that matters.

It's SO very tempting to equate the notion of getting the trail elbow work well - and converting THAT into a an almost stalling and deadened motion of the trail forearm with a TON of wrist flip in the trail hand. The two motions in our mind want to operate together for some reason. We often confuse the hands being thrown with what the forearms are doing.

At the point where the trail elbow is moving and that bend in the back of the trail wrist is preserved until that elbow is getting where it needs to be - a light bulb moment can come on where the hand-flip is dissociated from the freedom to go ahead and acceleration through the shot fearlessly and freely. This applies as much to little pitches and such as it does to the driver. Its when we associate the free flowing trail forearm with the urge to lose that bend in the back of the trail wrist early - that no amount of help comes from where that trail elbow is or isn't moving into the strike. And that's where we can tend to get ourselves into some messy problems. Those elusive terms like "effortless power" have some Mamas. I have to believe this idea of keeping the trail arm moving, good trail elbow work, but doing so without "throwing" the trail wrist "at" the ball is one of those mamas. For sure I would bet my soul this is deeply married to getting that divot to be on the target side of the ball. And it must be equally tied to accelerating and extending through the ball rather than "at" it.

LMAO - parts are just matching up all over the house!

Don't know if anyone is noticing it - but so many quality vids - opines - and notions are on the table here lately. You guys are never to be underestimated in terms of what you know and are capable of - especially given what you've all shared and the way you've all shared it. Whacka whack gents! Hitt'em solid and happy Father's day weekend to all.

The way I see the trail elbow action is that from the top it simply drops and follows the trail hip as the hips turn. It is a synchronized drop with the turning actions of the shoulders and hips. The whole 'unit' of the arms and club at the first part of the downswing are simply dropping while the trail elbow stays bent and 90* and the wrists stay hinged. For some this is a straight down dropping action in relation to staying in front of the chest. For others there is a more diagonal drop with a little arms going across the chest as they also drop down. And no matter if you had a chicken wing or tucked elbow at the top of the swing, the trail elbow simply drops in a straight line towards the trail hip. This all happens as the shoulders and hips are turning. Then once it gets close to that trail hip, as the trail hip nears impact, the trail elbow AND wrists start to unhinge. The trail arm is simply straightening in a single motion.

And absolutely, to your point, the wrists should unhinge in UNISON with the trail elbow straightening. This is the only way to quickly change the MOI of the swing from low (during the first half of the downswing) to high. The key is to delay going to a high MOI swing as late as possible since that will immediately start slowing the overall swing down as soon as full extension is reached. Also, both of those actions are contributors to clubhead velocity (Vc), and so in order to maximize their effect on it, they need to occur simultaneously. And lastly, if the action is set up properly, you can let centripetal force "power" the trail arm straightening. Your actual physical body power ideally should SUPPORT the power provided from centripetal force and not dominate the swing. To me this is the physics of what you said feels like "effortless power".

Registered Bladeocrat

Happy early Father's Day to all out there! Here's hoping it isn't 107 there like it will be here tomorrow and you will get a chance to play some golf!

Happy Fathers Day to you Sir! Hope your able to get out and play tomorrow!

This US Open is getting pretty good, as much grief as everyone on WRX is giving Fox for their coverage I LOVE all the pro tracer shots.

Happy early Father's Day to all out there! Here's hoping it isn't 107 there like it will be here tomorrow and you will get a chance to play some golf!

This US Open is getting pretty good, as much grief as everyone on WRX is giving Fox for their coverage I LOVE all the pro tracer shots.

Nothing wrong with the FOX coverage. People just like b**** and moan. I've watched a lot of Lowry on the Euro tour. He's a player. I don't expect a big Sunday collapse from him. He's not a sure thing. No one is at a US OPEN at Oakmont.

Nothing wrong with the FOX coverage. People just like b**** and moan. I've watched a lot of Lowry on the Euro tour. He's a player. I don't expect a big Sunday collapse from him. He's not a sure thing. No one is at a US OPEN at Oakmont.

Sadly, I have only seen a couple minutes of coverage. Busy cleaning things, taking care of the little hoodlum, and hoping to get as much done as possible before the 107's and 111's coming up this week.