2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Best career to have that allows one to play a large amount of golf...

ace036

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a teacher and in theory, I should be golfing two or three times a week, but it never seems to work out that way. I coach football and that takes up some of my summer. Rookie teachers will spend time during the summer to advance their education and move up the pay scale.

Then there is the issue of money. This fall I will be starting my 11th year teaching/coaching and I will probably earn a figure in the mid $50,000 range. Not a lot of extra cash after bills, but I can play once a week and still buy that club I really want but don't really need.

If you love working with kids, teaching is great. If not, you will not last in the profession. Do what makes you happy and golf will take care of itself.

another for...INSURANCE (mainly the COMMERCIAL insurance side)!!!

I'm at the course at least 5 days a week. Usually, put in some time in the office in the morning, head to the club in the afternoons. A club during the day is a great way to meet heads/owners of companies because they're usually the ones afforded the opportunity to play during the day...you're making contacts and playing golf!

A VERY interesting thread indeed.

I have to say that the "concierge" job is the most intriguing one of all as far as being able to play good golf for free :secret:

I am in the software business, on the consulting side, and I travel to client sites a lot to do my work - I travel to places such as Phoenix, Orange County, Silicon Valley, Upstate NY, Vegas, and so on, where there are some fantastic golf courses (I also go to Europe and Asia from time to time). I always manage to fit in 1 to 3 rounds of golf per week and some of them get expensed to the company if I take a client out golfing to build that so important "relationship" and "trust" as we deploy our products into their systems.

On occasion, I work from home thanks to high speed remote connections over the Internet, and during those weeks, I always manage to get in a quick 9 holes either at 6:00AM or after 5:30PM at my club.

A buddy of mine who is a System Engineer pitching our software gets to golf 3, sometime 4 times a week on the company's time and dime since he does most of his product pitches on the golf course :tongue:

So I suppose being in the software business allows you time to play some golf :yes:

Something to think about.

I have friends work in the golf industry as club pro, maintenance crew. If you want to play lots of golf, working in it is not the right job. Unless you're good enough to be making a living playing it.

There was an article in Golf Magazine of the best job to play lots of golf. If you could make enough money, Real Estate, or any self-emplyeed profession, where you could do your own schedule would be the best. Of course, anytime when you're responsible to yourself, you must be careful to understand not to forget about supporting yourself on this habit.

It's often said, golfing is a young man's vice. Simply because it'll take so much of your youthful time while you should have been building the fundation for your life.

I'm a high school counsellor and thought I'd have it set twhen it comes to time to play. While I probably have more time than most there are a few firefighters at my club that work 4 on 4 off; they seem to have time to play a lot of golf, more than me when averaged out throughout the year (it probably helps that they don't have kids too).

Ping G425 Max 10.5 ˚ Driver. Rogue White shaft-stiff
Ping G425 Max 14.5˚ 3 Wood Rogue White shaft-stiff
Ping G425 18˚ Hybrid Rogue Black Stiff Shaft
Ping i525 irons 4-GW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 3 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54˚ 60˚
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34"

I wasnt going to get into the "pilot" arguement, but the pilots at my Airline seem to do alright...

and to top it off we only work a max of 18 days, and its usually only 16 tops...

The best thing is that when you arent working there are NO "clients" or other job related worries... you just walk off the plane and your done.

The only time work effects me on the course is when I have a mid afternoon showtime and Im following a slow group, which means I might not get my 18 in ;)

I dunno about Pilots getting more girls ;) they like to think they do :lol:

Who do you fly for? Pt 125?

-mini

I wasnt going to get into the "pilot" arguement, but the pilots at my Airline seem to do alright...

and to top it off we only work a max of 18 days, and its usually only 16 tops...

The best thing is that when you arent working there are NO "clients" or other job related worries... you just walk off the plane and your done.

The only time work effects me on the course is when I have a mid afternoon showtime and Im following a slow group, which means I might not get my 18 in :russian_roulette:

I dunno about Pilots getting more girls ;) they like to think they do :lol:

-mini

Dunno if I should say, ha ha,

I work full time and do about 110-120 hours average, 16-18 days a month max, JFK base :russian_roulette: That should give it away ;)

The only time work effects me on the course is when I have a mid afternoon showtime and Im following a slow group, which means I might not get my 18 in ;)

I dunno about Pilots getting more girls :black eye: they like to think they do :beruo:

-mini

Dunno if I should say, ha ha,

I work full time and do about 110-120 hours average, 16-18 days a month max, JFK base :clapping: That should give it away :)

ahaha gotcha now. JFK gave it away lol. I take it you like it there?

You'd agree though, that it took you quite a while to get to that point, yes? I think most people now think "oh hey...I'll drop $30k to get my ratings and go make $150k/yr working 4 days a month". It just ain't gonna happen that way.

-mini

You'd agree though, that it took you quite a while to get to that point, yes? I think most people now think "oh hey...I'll drop $30k to get my ratings and go make $150k/yr working 4 days a month". It just ain't gonna happen that way.

-mini

Yeh, things certainly arent what they used to be... unfortunately :beruo:

Took me about 6 months to get to where Im at... been there a year now, in about another 6 months I will be working the same hours but less days as I get senior enough to get some decent productive trips... I have freinds that work 11 days a month and are on $50k a year...

-mini

Took me about 6 months to get to where Im at... been there a year now, in about another 6 months I will be working the same hours but less days as I get senior enough to get some decent productive trips... I have freinds that work 11 days a month and are on $50k a year...

6 months from first lesson or 6 months from hire date? I'm assuming 6 months from hire? If not, you're some kinda God.

-mini

-mini

6 months from first lesson or 6 months from hire date? I'm assuming 6 months from hire? If not, you're some kinda God.

-mini

I am sure he is talking hire date. I would bet my next paycheck NOBODY has ever gone from first lesson to hire by a major in six months. You are definitely right in saying that it is a long road to get hired. But after you do get hired, things start to get good pretty quickly. Notice I said "good", not "great".

I have been considering a career change after 28 years as a Toyota technician. I was playing with an insurance agent a few weeks ago and he was telling me how much golf he gets to play. (usually 4-5 times a week)

He gave me a funny quote"

"As an insurance agent.....if you shoot in the 90's you have no buisiness on the golf course. If you shoot in the 70's......you have no business."

That's when I realised, I couldn't be an insurance agent. I don't have the willpower to choose work over golf.

-mini

I am sure he is talking hire date. I would bet my next paycheck NOBODY has ever gone from first lesson to hire by a major in six months. You are definitely right in saying that it is a long road to get hired. But after you do get hired, things start to get good pretty quickly. Notice I said "good", not "great".

Im a flight attendant, not a Pilot... ;) (hence my comment back a few about Pilots "thinking" they get more chicks :) ) My wife (also a F/A) can vouch for how hard they try ;)

The Reserve period for our Pilots is only about 6 months tops though, so your not a "slave" for long.

Long gone are the days of the $600k a year pilots, and 100k a year F/As... its a shame, Its no longer a "special experience" to fly anymore...

I am done teaching at 330 teeing off at 4 most days. I also coach golf. I also play every day in the summer and work on my doctorate in education and spend a lot of quality time with my kids. When I say "play every day" that doesn't mean 18 holes. Some days it's 9 some days it's 6 some days I just hit balls,

Your mistake is coaching one of the big three sports like football, basketball or baseball, every one of those sports require year round commitment.

If you can't play a lot of golf as a teacher, I don't know what to tell you. Golf Digest even did a story on this and said teachers had the best golf job you could have.

I have to throw this in one more time... the best hidden secret is FIREFIGHTING at least in CA. I have been a FF for 6 years now and have never made less than 90 K last year I made 130k with overtime and still only worked about 13 days a month! Also at 50 years old I can retire with 99% of my normal pay as my retirement income. The bad side is firefighters are only expected to live 12 years after retirement which will make me 62....... I better get alot of golf in during those 12 years of retirement! LOLLOLLOL

I have to throw this in one more time... the best hidden secret is FIREFIGHTING at least in CA. I have been a FF for 6 years now and have never made less than 90 K last year I made 130k with overtime and still only worked about 13 days a month! Also at 50 years old I can retire with 99% of my normal pay as my retirement income. The bad side is firefighters are only expected to live 12 years after retirement which will make me 62....... I better get alot of golf in during those 12 years of retirement! LOLLOLLOL

I couldn't agree more...In fact the only people who work less days per month is probably flight attendants but that's only because they haven't got "Kelly" days...lol...J

No one's even close....here's a recipe for what you want:

Take your real estate degree and parle that into a house flipping business. If you scout your location right, flip it properly, in the right market you should be able to turn in the 20-40k range per house and that's THE LOW SIDE. I see people do it all the time, i know this one kid about my age (i'm 25 and he's 27) who flipped his very first properly in cali (with ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXPERIENCE) and netted roughly 80-90k for about 9 weeks of work and sitting on the house for about another 4 weeks until he sold it.

Take your 80-90k and make it your salary FOR THE FREAKN' YEAR!

I'm a financial analyst by profession and to be honest, when i drum up some more money i might very well be doing this. I mean hell, i work my butt off for 60k a year and i could make that flipping 1 property if i do it right. Only problem is i live in chicago and we are one of the worst housing markets at the moment so i'd have to travel.

So there ya go, i gave you the formula. Let's see if you have th confidence and the balls to go do it. Sure is risky but it pays.