2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Open Championship

mat562

Scotty Cameron Putters
Just an observation regarding the Open leaderboard:

Not a great championship for Scotty Cameron.

By my reckoning, the great one only managed to get a couple of putters into the top 20. Woods with his old faithful, at T12 and a T8 for Ben Curtis's Newport.

Interestingly, alongside Curtis as joint top Titleist man was Steve Stricker with 13 of 14 Titleist clubs in a Titleist bag... the odd one out was his Odyssey putter.

I'm not suggesting that Cameron is slipping or insinuating anything by this; I just think it's interesting that Odyssey and Taylor Made have made such a strong showing this year, with Ping also doing well.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you mention it, it does seem like fewer Camerons are in play. Ping and Odyssey seem strong these days, as well as TM. Ping and Odyssey putters are widely used on the LPGA, too. Like you, I'm not sure what to read into this, except maybe that SC now has some stiff competition when it comes to putter innovation.

I've just changed too.. back to an old faithful Newport TeI3.

I know that more and more club deals are including the putter as part of the stipulated club usage but it's still pretty surprising to see that few Camerons in play.

I'm not much of an Odyssey person (never found one I really liked) and all the Taylor Made putters I've tried haven't been to my tastes either.

The Redwood series seem to be very popular, although I prefer the older, classic Pings.

Just surprising I thought, to see so few Camerons in the top finishers.

mjtoal; you're right mate! Forgot about Rory's putter!

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Your neglecting the fact that Callaway is the only company that requires their players to carry 14 Callaway/Odyssey/Ben Hogan clubs in their bags. Considering Callaway spends more endorsement $$'s world wide than any other company, its no suprise the BRITISH open would show higher numbers. This might be one of the main reasons Odyssey's club count was higher than SC. Just my 2 cents. SC still dominates the PGA tour (Darrell Survey) where everyone knows the best players play.

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* AD IZ 6x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* Hzrdus smoke 70 6.5
Srixon u85 3 iron 
Srixon z785 4-p DG TI AMT x100
RTX4 52,56,60 DG s400 TI

Your neglecting the fact that Callaway is the only company that requires their players to carry 14 Callaway/Odyssey/Ben Hogan clubs in their bags. Considering Callaway spends more endorsement $$'s world wide than any other company, its no suprise the BRITISH open would show higher numbers. This might be one of the main reasons Odyssey's club count was higher than SC. Just my 2 cents. SC still dominates the PGA tour (Darrell Survey) where everyone knows the best players play.

But the winner didn't have to use Odyssey, did he?

Your neglecting the fact that Callaway is the only company that requires their players to carry 14 Callaway/Odyssey/Ben Hogan clubs in their bags. Considering Callaway spends more endorsement $$'s world wide than any other company, its no surprise the BRITISH open would show higher numbers. This might be one of the main reasons Odyssey's club count was higher than SC. Just my 2 cents. SC still dominates the PGA tour (Darrell Survey) where everyone knows the best players play.

Are you saying that the best players in the world were not at The Open Championship last week? That the best players were maybe at the US Bank Championship instead?

Out of the top 50 players in the world 35 are "international" players whose reasons for playing the US tour are well known.

If you want to know what putters the best players in the world are using do your counting at a major championship.

Driver: Wilson Staff Dd5 (7.5°)

Fairway Woods: Callaway Big Bertha 3+ and Steelhead Plus 5 Wood

Irons: Wison Staff Pi5 (3-PW)

Putter: Wilson Staff Kc4

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Link to driver:

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/product...D=1185125004404

Your neglecting the fact that Callaway is the only company that requires their players to carry 14 Callaway/Odyssey/Ben Hogan clubs in their bags. Considering Callaway spends more endorsement $$'s world wide than any other company, its no surprise the BRITISH open would show higher numbers. This might be one of the main reasons Odyssey's club count was higher than SC. Just my 2 cents. SC still dominates the PGA tour (Darrell Survey) where everyone knows the best players play.

Are you saying that the best players in the world were not at The Open Championship last week? That the best players were maybe at the US Bank Championship instead?

Out of the top 50 players in the world 35 are "international" players whose reasons for playing the US tour are well known.

If you want to know what putters the best players in the world are using do your counting at a major championship.

The point i was trying to make is the fact the best international players in the world play on the PGA tour, not the Asian, Australian, or nameless other international tours that the Open Championship grants spots into the field. Check the Masters if you really want to see what the best players in the world are playing.

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* AD IZ 6x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* Hzrdus smoke 70 6.5
Srixon u85 3 iron 
Srixon z785 4-p DG TI AMT x100
RTX4 52,56,60 DG s400 TI

One reason the US Tour is the "best" is a self-fulfilling one. A disproportionate number of points go to US events, so players who play there get better boosts to their ranking, hence it appears that the best players play there.

That and they have the biggest purses. What was the phrase...thats right "Show me the money".

I don't think Scotty (and company) have much to worry about yet. I have to say though that I think Titleist is more concerned about balls...that is where the money is anyway.

Odyssey (Callaway) does not pay 'non staff' players to use their putters. Last week at the Open Championship, there were 46 Odyssey putters in play. Out of those 46, only 12 were full staff Callaway members.

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

This is all very interesting, and as I do not follow the stats of what putter everyone is using . I also doubt that among the best putters in the world there is that much difference.

They get paid to play everything now to say something is the best, because a tour player is playing it is ludicrous.

What struck me the funniest is all this is about the Scotty Cameron Putter. Who's putters would probably not be possible if the patents had not run out that Ping had.

Of course if Karsten Solheim had stuck with his original design, no telling what a lot of folks would be putting with.

The Ping anser is probably the most significant contribution to putter design in the history of the game. I believe it was his second design, at least that was manufactured.

Check the Masters if you really want to see what the best players in the world are playing.

Where the winner who was a Titleist staffer and has arguably the best putter maker in the world at his disposal, chose to use a Seemore.

Odyssey (Callaway) does not pay 'non staff' players to use their putters. Last week at the Open Championship, there were 46 Odyssey putters in play. Out of those 46, only 12 were full staff Callaway members.

Poulter has a small deal with Odyssey based on performance and I think Furyk has as well but Harrington definately hasn't.