2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

GPS or Bushnell style Laser finder?

Sorry if this was started in a different thread and please direct me to that thread if there is one.

I play with my regular foursome and they all use the Bushnell rangefinder.

I've also played with one guy who uses an old-school SkyCaddy and that thing works wonders.

Granted I won't be able to get the same model of the SkyCaddie that he has because it's super old but I know that they make new ones that are the non laser version and that kind of appeals to me.

My question is what has been your experience with both and what do you prefer more: the laser version or non?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are essentially two types of distance measuring devices. One is GPS based where course green fronts, middle, and backs have been mapped with GPS coordinates and the device knowing its own position tells you the distance to those locations on the hole you are playing. Other notable landmarks are typically included as well (bunkers, ponds, etc...).

Laser rangefinders determine distance by shooting a pulsed laser at the flagstick or any other suitable landmark. The rangefinder measures how long it takes the laser pulse to reach the flagstick and bounce back. Distance is proportional to the laser pulse line of sight.

Laser rangefinders are more accurate than GPS based devices (0.5 yards vs 3 - 4 yards). Laser rangefinders need line of sight to the flagstick (GPS works anywhere as long as you get good satellite coverage). Laser rangefinders can measure to any landmark whereas GPS will only give you distance to the mapped objects. GPS devices are generally a little cheaper.

I prefer laser rangefinders because of the precision and flexibility. Ideally you would have both to cover all situations. Hope this helps.

If you need yardages to things you can see, the Laser is more reliable and accurate. Plus it doesn’t have to be recharged before each round.

If you need yardages to things you can’t see then the laser is useless and you need GPS.

All of your yardages on a GPS are to spots on a map of the course. That’s a good thing (you can use it around doglegs, over hills, on hidden water or sand traps, etc) but the maps of the course do not include the day’s pin locations so you never get exact distance to the hole.

If you do get a GPS don’t even consider any model unless it offers actual yardage’s to the front/middle/back of the green relative to where you are standing. There are many golf GPS’s which label one spot on the map to the the “front” or “back” of the green. If you are not directly in the center of the fairway those yardages are not correct from where you are standing.

I play virtually all my golf on familiar courses so I use a laser. There are no “hidden features” that I would need to see on the GPS map. I do have a GPS watch that is helpful on unfamiliar courses, maybe once or twice a year I need that.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

There are essentially two types of distance measuring devices. One is GPS based where course green fronts, middle, and backs have been mapped with GPS coordinates and the device knowing its own position tells you the distance to those locations on the hole you are playing. Other notable landmarks are typically included as well (bunkers, ponds, etc...).

Laser rangefinders determine distance by shooting a pulsed laser at the flagstick or any other suitable landmark. The rangefinder measures how long it takes the laser pulse to reach the flagstick and bounce back. Distance is proportional to the laser pulse line of sight.

Laser rangefinders are more accurate than GPS based devices (0.5 yards vs 3 - 4 yards). Laser rangefinders need line of sight to the flagstick (GPS works anywhere as long as you get good satellite coverage). Laser rangefinders can measure to any landmark whereas GPS will only give you distance to the mapped objects. GPS devices are generally a little cheaper.

I prefer laser rangefinders because of the precision and flexibility. Ideally you would have both to cover all situations. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the feedback!!

If you need yardages to things you can see, the Laser is more reliable and accurate. Plus it doesn’t have to be recharged before each round.

If you need yardages to things you can’t see then the laser is useless and you need GPS.

All of your yardages on a GPS are to spots on a map of the course. That’s a good thing (you can use it around doglegs, over hills, on hidden water or sand traps, etc) but the maps of the course do not include the day’s pin locations so you never get exact distance to the hole.

If you do get a GPS don’t even consider any model unless it offers actual yardage’s to the front/middle/back of the green relative to where you are standing. There are many golf GPS’s which label one spot on the map to the the “front” or “back” of the green. If you are not directly in the center of the fairway those yardages are not correct from where you are standing.

I play virtually all my golf on familiar courses so I use a laser. There are no “hidden features” that I would need to see on the GPS map. I do have a GPS watch that is helpful on unfamiliar courses, maybe once or twice a year I need that.

Fantastic point about the yardages being taken from the center of the fairway. It would suck to not be able to get accurate yardages from wherever you are on the course

I play the majority of my golf on courses that I am familiar so it sounds like laser is the way to go.

thanks for the feedback.

I've used both GPS and Laser Range finder, that said, currently I am only using the Laser Range finder, I get perfect yardage everytime (I have the Bushnell Tour V4 with slope and the Bushnell V3 slope edition), I have compared the GPS to the range finder and it is at least 5-8 yards difference on regular distance and almost 10-12 with slope...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I have the Bushnell V4 laser and the Bushnell Excel GPS watch. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. The laser will give spot-on readings for anything that gives a reflection. The watch gives adequate readings under most conditions and gives distance to some hazards (up to four per hole). The watch is also more convenient to use. You would be hard pressed to lose a watch but it is easy to lose a laser if you're forgetful. Pay your money and take your pick.

Fantastic point about the yardages being taken from the center of the fairway. It would suck to not be able to get accurate yardages from wherever you are on the course

I play the majority of my golf on courses that I am familiar so it sounds like laser is the way to go.

thanks for the feedback.

And to be entirely fair, if you are a hitting from 150+ yards out then being left side of the fairway vs. right side won't change it by much.

But if you're sizing up a 95-yard wedge shot from the right rough (say 25 yards right of the fairway centerline) the "front" and "back" of the green is in a very different spot. Especially on greens that are irregularly shaped.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted