2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tempest Golf Club - Gladewater *New course*

JMG_02

It's being built at the former Southern Hills Golf Club which was apparently rather forgettable. Looks impressive. It's listed on Golf Advisor's new golf courses to look forward to (including Pinehurst No 4).

It's about 2 hours East of Dallas on I-20.

http://www.tempestgolfclub.com/

GLADEWATER, Texas (Oct. 12, 2017) – The site for the new Tempest Golf Club in East Texas was made for a great golf course and the team assembled by owner Joe Bruno is well on its way to fashioning Mother Nature’s gifts into one of the region’s best and most challenging places to play the grand game.

Tempest Golf Club is a stunning parkland-style course taking shape on the site of the former Southern Hills Golf Club, a mile and a half off I-20 two hours east of Dallas and 45 minutes west of Shreveport, Louisiana. Parts of the new course are being grassed now, with the goal of opening for play in July 2018.

Brought to life by Arlington, Texas-based golf architect Jeffrey D. Brauer, Tempest Golf Club takes advantage of dramatic Piney Woods topography with its dramatic rise and fall of almost 200 feet, incredible core golf vistas across as many as five holes in the routing’s lower confines, and a pair of holes that play across a four-acre freshwater lake.

It will be easy for golfers playing Tempest Golf Club to believe they are in the rolling hills of North Carolina rather than a short drive from one of America’s major metropolitan areas. Brauer is noted for his ability to turn even the most banal or difficult tract of land into a fun and interesting golf course, but here he was given a great canvas and is bringing out the best of it.

“We have always had the stated goal of being the best course in East Texas and the site allows us to accentuate what the land gives us,” said Brauer, whose previous designs include the Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine, Texas, as well as The Wilderness at Fortune Bay and The Quarry and Legend Courses at Giants Ridge, and Superior National Golf Course, in Minnesota, all of which are highly awarded.

“Mr. Bruno has spared no expense giving us everything we’ve asked for, but the canvas itself just needed to be brought forward with a playable routing,” Brauer added. “Mr. Bruno’s architectural projects have won awards – he understands good design, and he is known for demanding the very best, which set the tone for the project.

“With a tweak here and a mound or two or a bunker there, we have been able to bring out the flavor and reveal the best things about the site. It will be a remarkable golf course and fun to play over and over again.”

Bruno, a New Orleans-based attorney, originally developed the course and its surrounding neighborhood as a gift to his children and grandchildren. After years of struggling financially with the project, Bruno made the decision to take a mulligan on both the golf course and the community, eventually adopting the philosophy of putting the golf course first.

“The former course was not well received, was losing money and had become a nightmare in its operation,” Bruno said. “I was ready to give up on the situation, but I walked the old course with Jeff, who was like a kid in a candy store. He was so enthusiastic and excited about the chance we had to make something special that I totally bought into his way of thinking and our collective vision for what was possible here came together.”

Final-Concept-Plan.jpgTempest Golf Club will be carded at 7,068 yards and play to a par of 36-36–72. The first six holes are routed over the footprint of the old course but the rest are completely new, built on land previously reserved for residential lots. The putting surfaces will be turfed with Champion G12 bermuda, perfect for the climate of East Texas.

Brauer said that golfers will find the sixth, the 11th, and the 12th holes to be Tempest Golf Club’s signature offerings, but only after great debate because every hole is solid and has little features that sets it apart.

The sixth hole (a par 5) uses the same corridor through the woods as one of the course’s existing holes but was transformed by moving more than 30,000 cubic yards of earth, removing the previous blind areas and creating a wonderful downhill vista.

Brauer was surprised that original course’s designers didn’t use the large tree-lined pond that now borders the 11th hole, a 450-yard par 4. He now considers No. 11 one of the best challenges on the course, especially from the back two sets of tees, which ask for an angled carry over the water.

The 12th hole had originally been earmarked for housing but its footprint was ultimately too steep. Now, that corner of the course has been turned into a dramatic, downhill par 3 on which the golfers traverse a creek on a wooden bridge between tee and green.

The 10th and 18th holes occupy what was an overcrowded mix of holes 7, 8, 16, and 18 and set the stage for a dramatic beginning and end to the back-nine.

The course and its renovated and expanded 7,500-square-foot clubhouse are being constructed by Signet Golf Associates of Pinehurst, North Carolina.

“Every day I’m on site here I see something else I like about the course and what we are fashioning from the palate nature has provided,” said Peter Dejak, one of Signet’s founders and principals. “Jeff has done an amazing job in his routing, and as the shaping of the holes become more evident and grassing continues, I see the subtle features coming into play that make all the difference between a good golf course and a great one.”

The price tag for the new course and its amenities will end up being more than $7 million, an unwavering sign of the dedication and commitment Bruno and his team have for the project and its ultimate success.

Brauer, the former president of the American Society of Golf Course Architects, also designed the three top-rated public courses in Kansas: Firekeeper, Colbert Hills Golf Club, and Sand Creek Station. Among his more than 100 design credits are the La Costa Resort’s two courses in Carlsbad, Calif. (renovation), Gaylord Springs at Opryland in Nashville, TN, and Avocet Course at Wild Wing Plantation in Conway, SC.

He has won three “Best New Course” awards among his other honors.

Tempest Golf Club will be challenging for the best players, with tee locations that will make it playable for men and women of all levels- and junior golfer-friendly.

“I don’t believe in designing tough courses,” Brauer said. “Neither potential members, average golfers, or even millennials who will eventually support this course are enamored with extremely difficult tests of golf, although that philosophy was embraced and seemed true in the past. I am taking advantage of the site to design for moderately challenging, intensely interesting and beautiful golf.”

The clubhouse balcony will have views of seven golf holes and will include corporate meeting space, a 200-seat banquet hall and an expanded The Tavern at Tempest restaurant.

The course will have extensive practice facilities and there are plans for casitas for stay-and-play or time-share options, and a pool. All signs point to a true destination golf course and unforgettable golf experience.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I subscribed to the Newsletter, and I've been checking in from time to time to see the progress photos. I liked Southern Hills at one time, but it had slipped over the last few years it was open.

I'm very intrigued to see and play this course when it opens. It's not very far from me, so I would love to add it to the regular rotation or possibly join the club.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Construction-Clubhouse.jpg

Construction-Aerial-14.jpg

Construction-Aerial-15.jpg

Construction-Aerial-10.jpg

Construction-Grass-Sod-2.jpg

I'm super excited about it. Since Twin Lakes closed, there has been a void of really nice day trip courses around here.

Twin Lakes closing was a real bummer. The scenery at that course was unreal. I'm still a little bitter that they closed it. I'm curious to see what the pricing is like at Tempest.

Hoping my club can call and get me on one day since it will be private.

No need, it will be public.

Thanks! I swear I had read something last week about it being private. i'll def make the trip down to play it.

I'm with Hookem...I was bitter when TL closed. THe only course around the area that I liked better than my club, Lands End

Aaron W. Goode When is it set to open? And public?

21314359_1869603193290984_4115621909375600636_n.jpg?oh=bed9d8ad346e8457ccb9ac22e63fc9bf&oe=5AE6BA4ATempest Golf Club Yes public and we are praying for June opening!

Hoping my club can call and get me on one day since it will be private.

No need, it will be public.

Aaron W. Goode When is it set to open? And public?

21314359_1869603193290984_4115621909375600636_n.jpg?oh=bed9d8ad346e8457ccb9ac22e63fc9bf&oe=5AE6BA4ATempest Golf Club Yes public and we are praying for June opening!

Thanks! I swear I had read something last week about it being private. i'll def make the trip down to play it.

I'm with Hookem...I was bitter when TL closed. THe only course around the area that I liked better than my club, Lands End

I did see a write-up that called the Tempest private somewhere too. I like Lands End as well - it's a nice track. Not much has changed positively for East Texas golf courses in a while, so hopefully this will spark some other courses to make improvements.

Yeah for sure. Just played Land's End the other day, great shape and super fun. Employee up front said that they are raising green fees again. Currently $79 for Weekend, going to $85. So a +$90 weekend round with taxes. Whew, that's a little too steep for me.

I'm loving my Club right now, Sulphur Springs. Layout is not as nice as Land's End but for the value and condition of the course it's awesome.

Yeah for sure. Just played Land's End the other day, great shape and super fun. Employee up front said that they are raising green fees again. Currently $79 for Weekend, going to $85. So a +$90 weekend round with taxes. Whew, that's a little too steep for me.

I'm loving my Club right now, Sulphur Springs. Layout is not as nice as Land's End but for the value and condition of the course it's awesome.

You are at SSGC? Played it about a year ago. Actually enjoyed the course. Thought it could play a little longer if they wanted it too...greens were lighting fast.

And yes unfortunately the prices are going up. However they want members more than anything. I live in Campbell and pay them $110 a month. Makes it easier since I don’t usually ride and I’m like one of 3 members that walk. Haha! Let’s try and get together sometime and play.

You are at SSGC? Played it about a year ago. Actually enjoyed the course. Thought it could play a little longer if they wanted it too...greens were lighting fast.

And yes unfortunately the prices are going up. However they want members more than anything. I live in Campbell and pay them $110 a month. Makes it easier since I don't usually ride and I'm like one of 3 members that walk. Haha! Let's try and get together sometime and play.

Yeah she did say that they were really trying to encourage memberships, and she did mention the $110 or so membership for out of town residents. That is a steal for that course, but it's about 25 minutes farther than SSCC which is practically the same price for me.

And yes I'm loving SSCC. It is pretty short but they've lengthened a couple of holes. For example, number 4 was about a 140-150 yard par 3, and now it's about 175-180. The greens are always in excellent shape and they are continuing to put money into the course and make improvements. Just last year they've added nets on the range, all new range balls, and added new cart paths on about 5 holes.

Let's definitely try to get together sometime, all of my golfing buddies are out of town.

• 4 months later...

I live 20 minutes from Tempest and drop by there regularly to see the progress. Its coming along nicely and is going to be a hell of a lot of fun. Jeff Brauer has really brought some life to East Texas golf with this place.

Randy Wade was the pro at Twin Lakes and is signed up as head pro and GM at Tempest. He tells me the short game area will be top of the shelf. We'll see. I suspect Tempest is going to rival Pine Dunes as far as the course itself goes. Its looking really really good.

Semi Private. Rate 50 weekdays, 55 on Fri, and 65 on Weekend, cart included. Members Only get walking privilege.

Soft Opening is August 1. Grand Opening is August 17.

Seriously considering a membership since its basically right on my way home from work.

I live 20 minutes from Tempest and drop by there regularly to see the progress. Its coming along nicely and is going to be a hell of a lot of fun. Jeff Brauer has really brought some life to East Texas golf with this place.

Randy Wade was the pro at Twin Lakes and is signed up as head pro and GM at Tempest. He tells me the short game area will be top of the shelf. We'll see. I suspect Tempest is going to rival Pine Dunes as far as the course itself goes. Its looking really really good.

Semi Private. Rate 50 weekdays, 55 on Fri, and 65 on Weekend, cart included. Members Only get walking privilege.

Seriously considering a membership since its basically right on my way home from work.

I'm also about 20 min away and considering a membership. The rates are reasonable - especially for the 'under 36' group I fit in to. The initiation fee and not being able to walk on the weekends until after 2pm is what is making me think longer about it. With a cart every time, that $165/mo turns into $250/mo real quick. I do like the perk of being able to bring a guest for $10 less per round than the rack rate.

I'm also about 20 min away and considering a membership. The rates are reasonable - especially for the 'under 36' group I fit in to. The initiation fee and not being able to walk on the weekends until after 2pm is what is making me think longer about it. With a cart every time, that $165/mo turns into $250/mo real quick. I do like the perk of being able to bring a guest for $10 less per round than the rack rate.

Yeah, the cart rate isnt very attractive. Don't see why they couldn't do a little better on that. And the yearly cart program IMO is pure crazy. - nope. Not gonna happen. I figure I'd have to play close to 80 rounds / year to just to make that break even. I play often, but I won't be playing 80 rounds a year on any single golf course. I'll be going for the range program though since I can stop by a lot on my way home from work and do some short game and practicing. Maybe walk a few holes now and then.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The grand opening event on their Facebook has changed dates a couple of times, but it is set for August 31st as of right now. It’s been a REALLY hot and dry summer so far, so I’m sure it’s been a battle getting the new grass to grow how they’d like it to.

The grand opening event on their Facebook has changed dates a couple of times, but it is set for August 31st as of right now. It’s been a REALLY hot and dry summer so far, so I’m sure it’s been a battle getting the new grass to grow how they’d like it to.

Yeah seems odd to try and open a golf course in the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

New opening date is Sept 28.

So is it ready or not? lol they keep moving the date

From what I hear the fairways are ready to go but the greens are the hold up now. It has been a very dry (and hot) summer here in East Texas. I can't even imagine the amount of water they have had to dump on that course to get the grass growing how it needs to.

The course itself is finished finally but some of the greens still need some growing time. One of the greens got washed out during a late July monsoon and they had to re-do it. They sprigged the last 2 greens only 3 weeks ago and laid the sod on the last 2 fairways the week before that. But they are saying Sept 28.

There is still a lot of dirt work to clean up around the area, and get grass planted on that, but that's just aesthetics. I dont think the driving range and practice greens will be finished this year, but I might be wrong..... As of 2 weeks ago when I was there looking around, they hadn't even started on those yet.

The course really does look stunning though. I can't wait to get out on it and give it a go.

They finally got around to posting the scorecard on the Tempest website too.

Check em out on Facebook.. there are lots of pics and Melanie (the owners daughter), posts regular updates on the goings on.

https://www.facebook...22DWik8&__xts__

• 3 weeks later...

Scorecard

41484402_2087769094807725_7513575457879490560_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=93e43aa02ab5def6406b01f9e64a4bba&oe=5C3614B141500278_2087769068141061_1859881531074412544_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=da945996570ef6de14b4900ca1d0a9fb&oe=5C31D76F

41440946_2087769088141059_7697224591554379776_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=cd4d79c6bb7e4d35f62fc04b8dada272&oe=5C319139

Based off of the score card and the fact that they expanded the course to previously unused land, the course does not look very walkable. You can only walk if you are a member (and only on weekdays or after 2pm on weekends) - which is a bummer.

Based off of the score card and the fact that they expanded the course to previously unused land, the course does not look very walkable. You can only walk if you are a member (and only on weekdays or after 2pm on weekends) - which is a bummer.

Yeah 6 to 7 crosses 2 holes it appears and 16 to 17 looks like a bit of a hike as well.

There are a few holes where its quite a walk from green to next tee. Especially 16 to 17. Regardless of that though, its very hilly with a lot of siginificant elevation changes.

• 2 weeks later...