2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best Value Courses Within 45 minutes of Portland

willamette

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Pass is worth looking at.

http://pumpkinridge.com/images/ghostflyer.pdf

I would have to disagree with Charbonneau. They are overpriced for a beginner's course. You get paired up with senior citizens who think that they are living the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous out there. It's kind of funny.

The OGA is a good deal - remember to bring your handicap card for the special rate.

Quail Valley is reasonable as well - especially during the week.

Tualatin Island Greens has a deal for all you can hit balls during the winter (at least they used to).

Ha! I love your comment about Charbonneau. There are so many guys on that course who can't hit it more than 70 years.

However, I love their twilight rates - weekdays $20 after 1pm gets you unlimited golf ($26 on weekends)....and by that time the old folks are usually gone for the day. My buddy and I usually play 2-3 balls each, practice pitching and chipping every few holes, and we never see anybody. I've played numerous times when I haven't seen ANY other groups on the course. Makes me a little worried the course isn't doing so well.

The only thing I don't like are the greens late in the summer....the old guys never bend over to fix their ball marks. Plus, the greens are pretty darn slow and only a few have any real undulations.

But, for a "game improvement" course I love it....it's a better deal than paying for range balls.

• 11 months later...

I've been away from the game for the most part so I haven't played enough at all the last few years. I plan to make Chehalem Glenn my home course next year and join the Mens league that is based there. I live in Sherwood and Worked with the Head Pro Brandon wen he was an assistant at Langdon Farms.

I like the course, I like that it doesn't play all that long but it makes you really consider each shot.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='willamette' post='726173' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:44 AM']My choices -

Langdon Farms Twilight Rate (Wilsonville)
OGA at Tukwila (Woodburn)
Charbonneau (Wilsonville)
Heron Lakes - either course

Best Summer Deal - Langdon Farms $399 golf all summer twilight.[/quote]

I'll go with

OGA
Heron Lakes, Grt Bl
Stone Creek
Skamania Lodge
Indian Creek
Reserve, I like the So course better
Chehalem Glen (sp)
Pumpkin--just b/c its usually in very good condition

The above posts have hit my favorites, so I won't add. But you may also be interested in this map I put together a while back.

[url="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102254384615965442181.000456bfb8e433323c0d9&ll=45.502497,-122.574463&spn=1.407166,2.960815&z=9"]Portland Area Golf Courses[/url]

[quote name='honketyhank' post='2071240' date='Nov 18 2009, 06:52 AM']The above posts have hit my favorites, so I won't add. But you may also be interested in this map I put together a while back.

[url="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102254384615965442181.000456bfb8e433323c0d9&ll=45.502497,-122.574463&spn=1.407166,2.960815&z=9"]Portland Area Golf Courses[/url][/quote]

I have been spending time on GolfWRX for about a year and this is the first time I have noticed this forum (ie, Northwest). So now, I have browsed through the threads and I came upon this link in a post by FlyFish. It is a much better course finder than the one I put together.

[url="http://www.exploreoregongolf.com/oregon-golf-association-course-finder.php?location=standard&zip=&within=5&region=9&county=&city="]OGA Golf Course Finder[/url]

Nice to meet you, neighbors. Heck, I might even know a couple of you.

If you want value look no further than Wildwood. Also I agree Stone Creek and Chehalem Glen are also value courses. Lastly the $20 early bird special at Heron Lakes, Stone Creek, and Eastmoreland can't be beat if you can get out on a weekday.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

IMO Wildwood is okay if you live on that side of town. I live in NE so I don't go over the river much; the traffic is just more than I want to deal with.

As much as I like Eastmoreland I don't play there much b/c its usually too wet and the greens always seem to be beaten up. Also the pace of play can become very, very slow.

You guys are forgetting Rose City. I work very close by and go to work at 8am. In the summer, I can race out there at 5 and play 18 holes for $18-$22. They have a deal if you play before 8. But STAY AWAY during the winter, unless you own golf boots.

Golf Now has a lot of great tee times, problem for me is my schedule (24 on and 48 off work) and my 2 year old does not allow me to have many people to pair up with and most of the deals nees at least 2 players.

[quote name='Gawfman123' post='2073512' date='Nov 19 2009, 08:08 AM']You guys are forgetting Rose City. I work very close by and go to work at 8am. In the summer, I can race out there at 5 and play 18 holes for $18-$22. They have a deal if you play before 8. But STAY AWAY during the winter, unless you own golf boots.
[b]
Golf Now has a lot of great tee times, problem for me is my schedule (24 on and 48 off work) and my 2 year old does not allow me to have many people to pair up with and most of the deals nees at least 2 players.[/b][/quote]

That's one I thing I wish I could change... it hasn't always been like that. I used to fall in that same boat too. It made it pretty difficult to play some of the better courses in the area as a single.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

M-Thu Twilight(After 4) at Camas Meadows $35. Great price, though it's a bit of a trek between a few of the greens/tees if you decide to walk.

If you're not aware of the coupons on portlandpublicgolf.com then you probably haven't realized that the best value in town is Heron Great Blue M-Thu between 12 and 3($22), and after 3 on weekends($26). Not to mention the course was in fantastic shape before all this recent rain and should bounce right back. Played with a guy out there recently that said the greens were better than the Reserve, they have been VERY good.

[quote name='budd1e_lee' date='01 June 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1275459025' post='2481607']
M-Thu Twilight(After 4) at Camas Meadows $35. Great price, though it's a bit of a trek between a few of the greens/tees if you decide to walk.

If you're not aware of the coupons on portlandpublicgolf.com then you probably haven't realized that the best value in town is Heron Great Blue M-Thu between 12 and 3($22), and after 3 on weekends($26). Not to mention the course was in fantastic shape before all this recent rain and should bounce right back. Played with a guy out there recently that said the greens were better than the Reserve, they have been VERY good.
[/quote]
I played Heron last Tuesday and while it was probably better than some courses in the area... it was still extremely wet (muddy) with grass clippings everywhere. I'm not asking to doublecut and basketcut everything, but the leftover was a joke. I'd still play Stonecreek (zzzzzzzzzz yawn), Chehalem Glenn, and even Tri Mountain before I'd play Blue if it's been wet.

The greens were pretty good though... some of the best I've seen on a public course all this year.

[quote name='jon2' date='02 June 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1275459825' post='2481617']
[quote name='budd1e_lee' date='01 June 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1275459025' post='2481607']

[/quote]
I played Heron last Tuesday and while it was probably better than some courses in the area... it was still extremely wet (muddy) with grass clippings everywhere. I'm not asking to doublecut and basketcut everything, but the leftover was a joke. I'd still play Stonecreek (zzzzzzzzzz yawn), Chehalem Glenn, and even Tri Mountain before I'd play Blue if it's been wet.

The greens were pretty good though... some of the best I've seen on a public course all this year.
[/quote]

Yeah, that course doesn't handle wet very well, at least not this early in the year. As I said, before this recent bout of rain, it was in GREAT shape. Give it a week of dry and get back out.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='78blades' date='19 November 2009 - 02:14 AM' timestamp='1258625674' post='2073130']
IMO Wildwood is okay if you live on that side of town. I live in NE so I don't go over the river much; the traffic is just more than I want to deal with.

As much as I like Eastmoreland I don't play there much b/c its usually too wet and the greens always seem to be beaten up. Also the pace of play can become very, very slow.
[/quote]

Eastmoreland has made quite the turn around as of late. The course has never looked better!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1440242-witb-2017-edition/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1440242-witb-2017-edition/[/url]

[quote name='1Up2Down' date='22 July 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1279822078' post='2592794']
[quote name='78blades' date='19 November 2009 - 02:14 AM' timestamp='1258625674' post='2073130']

[/quote]

Eastmoreland has made quite the turn around as of late. The course has never looked better!
[/quote]
I played out there three or four weeks ago and was left pretty unimpressed. Definitely reminded me why I don't play out there at all anymore.

[quote name='78blades' timestamp='1272527910' post='2407657']
I just can't warm up to Colwood, but that is just me.
[/quote]
That's me too. Just played there for free with a voucher. Even without paying I thought I was ripped off. Like a boring version of Broadmoor.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1312866208' post='3464926']
I have one day in Portland, don't have the time to drive far.

Heron Lakes or Broadmoor?

Thanks,

Reif
[/quote]

What do you consider far? Reserve or Pumpkin Ridge are not that far from Portland!

But if you had to...Heron would be the better of the 2.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1312866748' post='3464951']

Thanks,

Reif
[/quote]

What do you consider far? Reserve or Pumpkin Ridge are not that far from Portland!

[/quote]

I would go Stone Creek. Save the gas money, greens fees are ok, and the course is excellent. Or....cozy up with a member and get on at Portland Golf Club ;) seeing the Wanamaker and Ryder Cup trophy's in there is awesome.

[quote name='Golfchops' timestamp='1312868491' post='3465004']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1312866748' post='3464951']

Thanks,

Reif
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would go Stone Creek. Save the gas money, greens fees are ok, and the course is excellent. Or....cozy up with a member and get on at Portland Golf Club ;) seeing the Wanamaker and Ryder Cup trophy's in there is awesome.
[/quote]
I'd skip Stone Creek... lots of the mens club guys are pissed the greens haven't been in exactly prime condition. It seems like they're constantly doing something to the greens (punching, knifing, sanding, etc).

When I played them last, they were much slower than usual... and there hasn't really been a threat of extremely hot days. Kind o