2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Topic redux: When to move to GI irons

Tim Schoch

Some folks like hybrids, but I'm not one of them.

This is where the utility irons are nice. I took a long time to adjust to hitting a hybrid, and can only really hit them in the 16* to 18* slot of the bag setup. I think looking down at a utility iron would be better. Only theoretical at this point, have only hit a Cobra model a few years ago on one occasion.

Might be an option for some. I could see they'd still be too chunky for some, also.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A shaft change can make huge improvements in any club head. I went from KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff to old school Dynamic Gold R300’s in my KZG’s and they really came alive for my swing.

If you love the Mizuno’s maybe change the shafts to something softer with a more active tip section. That will really help a Forged players style club play easier with higher launch.

A shaft change can make huge improvements in any club head. I went from KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff to old school Dynamic Gold R300’s in my KZG’s and they really came alive for my swing.

If you love the Mizuno’s maybe change the shafts to something softer with a more active tip section. That will really help a Forged players style club play easier with higher launch.

The Mizzys have Project X 5.0 shafts that feel sweet. These clubs are cavity back irons, GI for sure.. just not the GI or SGI of the G25 irons, according to the Maltby Playability Factor charts

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I am having a MP 53 vs G25 showdown

I had my own showdown of sorts last year. I found a full set of Hogan Directors (80 model) which I consider the cleanest and best looking irons Hogan ever put out. Played with them when I was younger and on my game. Long story short, by the third hole and after 3 shanks and 2 shots woefully short from 150 (7 iron normal distance) went back to the clubhouse as we had time before we could tee off on 4 and it was as close to the clubhouse than the rest of the holes to be played on that nine. Changed to a rental set of cheap Paragon irons, which were large soled and bigger heads. The difference from the 4th hole on was night and day. My confidence climbed, some distance returned but not as much as today's jacked up sets, but decent enough. At least I could get to the green from 150 with a 6 now instead of a 5 with the Hogans and that 5 was still short. Now I've gone to a set of TM's with the 7 at 31 degrees and the 7 at 150 is no problem any longer. Playing for over 60+ years, you become accustomed to specific distances that you can hit an iron and under normal conditions and you go to that club subconsciously. So at 75, I rather play what gives me the things I can relate to and that makes the game enjoyable again. Some folks like hybrids, but I'm not one of them. I know it's in my head, but when I look down, I see a wood and then proceed to hit it as such and with none stellar results. So it's irons for me and the TM 4 iron I have gives me the right stuff. Let us know the results of your showdown, should be an interesting review.......

Have you had a chance to note the shafts in the Hogan set and the rental Paragon ?

Besides the loft, the shafts in the irons will definitely makes a huge difference.

Have you had a chance to note the shafts in the Hogan set and the rental Paragon ?

Besides the loft, the shafts in the irons will definitely makes a huge difference

Agreed that the shaft is a major player as the Hogans were stiff and the Paragons were uniflex, which to my understanding is somewhere in the middle of stiff/firm and regular. Also of note was that the shaft length of the Paragons was slightly over an inch longer than the Hogans and i'm sure the lofts were stronger. Now understanding these differences, the real component in all of this is swing speed. As I mentioned in a previous post, I switched to a set of TM's with that speed slot that supposed to flex and apparently I had enough SS that it did what it was designed to do. Until I played yesterday and discovered that after my recent surgery on my neck and shoulder area, that my SS has deteriorated further. So now apparently that flex face design is not applicable to my current SS application. Which now brings me to question for my fellow WRX'ers............Should I consider playing a ladies set, until such time that my surgical area regains some flexibility, because for now that area is very tight and slightly painful.

First test results

This is very informal, non-technical and not measured by anything but eyesight and feel with my 11 handicap swing. Both irons have regular flex graphite shafts. Mizuno MP53 is standard length and lie, Ping G25 is blue dot (+1/2" and 1* upright). Both have brand new Winn Dri-Soft midsize grips.

3 balls at a time, I went back and forth between Mp53 and G25 swings for about 30 balls each with both PW and 6-iron. Outdoor driving range off long-blade faux grass padded mats. I did not test workability because I can hit and fade and draw, but not accurately, plus it was rather windy. The range balls felt like rocks. Temp was 51* F.

Lofts: MP53 PW=46*, 6-iron=30* G25 PW=45*, 6-iron=29*

PW:

Distance difference wasn't very much, maybe a couple of yards longer with the G25, probably the loft.

Accuracy difference was noticeable, more accurate with the G25.

Height difference favored the G25.

Off-center hits with each iron flew shorter, with G25 holding its line much better.

Feel difference was noticeable but not jarring. MP53 forged iron had wonderful feel when the sweet spot was hit and clanging feel on toe hits. G25 cast iron's feel off the sweet spot was noticeable and soft, and toe hits were identifiable but not jarring or uncomfortable.

6-iron:

Distance difference was large, maybe 10 yards on average with the G25.

Accuracy difference was again noticeable, more accurate with the G25.

Height difference was vast in favor of the G25. I was impressed by this the most, I think.

Off-center hits with each iron again flew shorter, with G25 holding its line much better.

Feel difference was noticeable. It might be my swing, but the MP53 forged irons had no butter with the 6. In fact, I actually felt a sweet spot hit much more with the G25. Off-center hits with the MP53 felt clangy again, tried to hold its line but flew shorter. Off-center with the G25 held the line and flew shorter.

I felt that I could step right up with the G25 and whack a good shot, where the MP53 took more scrutiny and careful alignment.

The next test will be on a much warmer day.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Looks as though there's a clear choice being shown. Kind of hard to beat more distance, better accuracy, and apparently better feel, plus confidence. :good:

Darn right. Tell you what, I wanted the Mizzys to win, but the more I hit the more confidence did grow in the G25. Felt good :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Yeah, this old topic. I've been playing various forged irons for a long while, lately MP-53s. I love em. But I hit a Ping G25 7-iron the other day that was not only longer than the 53 and straight and high, but it was effortless. The Pings are thick and bulky but I have seen far worse. I've got some minor physical probs, I am 69 to begin with, and the 53s can be work sometimes. And I want to play my best and kick a** at the next father-son.

Question: do you think shovels help the decline in my game? I have hit the Pings some more and I can get used to them, but I want to really benefit and my mind is muddled with all the talk of forgiveness and butter, so much so that on the range it affects how I swing.

What is your experience?

Impressed your father still plays

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

I was a long time full out blade-ish guy going way back to Titleist tour models and the early Tmade blades (1984-95)

Then I had a massive run of Mizuno's ... mp 60, 32, 33, 37, 67 etc etc

Then I found the Ping S series ... have had all from s59 to s55 and even the iblades

I am now 51, still strong as an ox, but have tendonitis in my elbows and the Gi and graphite testing is underway (has been for 3 seasons). This winter I dropped steelfibers in a set of 4 wedges as well.

This week I have Aldila NV105x (ss 1x) going in the Raptures and I have Fuji MCI 100's going in the s55's. These are being tested against my T-mb's with XP115's.

Food for thought ... Even in advance of a shootout ... I will likely be going with Rapture or Rapture J in the 5 & 6 irons and maybe 7 iron ... and the s55's in the 7 or 8-PW. (I do have 7-PW Ping Blueprints on order FWIW)

The only negative I have on GI or SGI irons is they can be tricky off very firm conditions

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Yeah, this old topic. I've been playing various forged irons for a long while, lately MP-53s. I love em. But I hit a Ping G25 7-iron the other day that was not only longer than the 53 and straight and high, but it was effortless. The Pings are thick and bulky but I have seen far worse. I've got some minor physical probs, I am 69 to begin with, and the 53s can be work sometimes. And I want to play my best and kick a** at the next father-son.

Question: do you think shovels help the decline in my game? I have hit the Pings some more and I can get used to them, but I want to really benefit and my mind is muddled with all the talk of forgiveness and butter, so much so that on the range it affects how I swing.

What is your experience?

Impressed your father still plays

Haha!

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I was a long time full out blade-ish guy going way back to Titleist tour models and the early Tmade blades (1984-95)

Then I had a massive run of Mizuno's ... mp 60, 32, 33, 37, 67 etc etc

Then I found the Ping S series ... have had all from s59 to s55 and even the iblades

I am now 51, still strong as an ox, but have tendonitis in my elbows and the Gi and graphite testing is underway (has been for 3 seasons). This winter I dropped steelfibers in a set of 4 wedges as well.

This week I have Aldila NV105x (ss 1x) going in the Raptures and I have Fuji MCI 100's going in the s55's. These are being tested against my T-mb's with XP115's.

Food for thought ... Even in advance of a shootout ... I will likely be going with Rapture or Rapture J in the 5 & 6 irons and maybe 7 iron ... and the s55's in the 7 or 8-PW. (I do have 7-PW Ping Blueprints on order FWIW)

The only negative I have on GI or SGI irons is they can be tricky off very firm conditions

I have tendonits in both wrists and elbows. The only way I could swing a club was in a slow-mo Stricker style. On a recommendation, I started exercising with the Theraband Flexbar, green. http://www.theraband.com/theraband-flexbar-resistance-bar.html

At first, I could barely do the exercises. Then I was up to one session of 10 reps with each of 6 exercises. Now I do 25 reps. It is all about strengthening the muscles that work the elbows and wrists. My tendonitis is all but gone and I can swing normally. I still have to be smart in how fast I torque my joints, but I am much stronger. I couldn't open a jar before, now I can do it effortlessly. That was 9 months ago. After 3 months I saw a lot of improvement. Can't recommend the Flexbar more. Easy at first, follow the directions for the exercises exactly.

Thanks.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I have the flex bars in 4 colours