2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

EE, steep shaft, OTT - can't shake it!

Thanks @mikpga, visual reprsentation helps greatly. No I was definitely not happy with my ball striking, it was and has been for most of my life all over. I'll hit fat, thin, tops (all the time with a 3 wood) and position on the face can be heel one strike and toe the next. There was absolutely no consistency and it was plaguing my game completely.

I've been working on getting a good proper hip turn and it feels great, I've hit some great shots with this that have been so effortless when i get it right. There's still a few issues with strike and I'll thin/top every now and again which I'm putting down mainly to the fact that I'm firing the hips too early in the downswing and spinning out so I'm trying to tackle that now. The other thing I'm working on is laying the shaft down in transition by cupping the right wrist.

So here's how it's looking after a few weeks. I was concentrating mainly on ensuring I had a proper hip turn and not bringing the club straight back parralel with the target line like I was before. I'm maybe slightly guilty of bringing the club inside slightly too much it looks like. In transition I was trying to hold off firing the hips on the downswing too early, letting the arms getting into the space. On the downswing I was trying to feel like the club gets out ahead of me as I hang back, using the feelings from the straight arm drill/feet together drill. This feeling made me feel more connected as if the clubhead was pulling the body round.

The result was some really good ball striking, probably the best I've had, the ball was going along way with very little effort. As you can see I'm still not quite getting the club release out in front as the upper body stays back. Any tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

> @rballantyne1 said:

>

>

>

> So here's how it's looking after a few weeks. I was concentrating mainly on ensuring I had a proper hip turn and not bringing the club straight back parralel with the target line like I was before. I'm maybe slightly guilty of bringing the club inside slightly too much it looks like. In transition I was trying to hold off firing the hips on the downswing too early, letting the arms getting into the space. On the downswing I was trying to feel like the club gets out ahead of me as I hang back, using the feelings from the straight arm drill/feet together drill. This feeling made me feel more connected as if the clubhead was pulling the body round.

>

> The result was some really good ball striking, probably the best I've had, the ball was going along way with very little effort. As you can see I'm still not quite getting the club release out in front as the upper body stays back. Any tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Looks better. Glad you got the "clubhead pulling you around" feeling. Thats exactly what you need. That first video does look like youre taking it back a little inside. You have to get a feeling of the wrists c0cking up in front of you. Try the iteach drill where you put a alignment stick in the butt of the club. Montes shoulder isolation drill helped me alot. Incorporate this c0cking of the wrist while turning back.

@Fireballer, yeah I think I've overdone the feeling here a little. This drill above is great for instant feedback, I'm turning far too flat with the shoulders and using the arms to get into the correct position. I definitely need to still keep working on the backswing. I've actually got Monte's efficient swing series but really don't like the feeling of cocking my wrists almost immediately in the backswing.

Takeaway is culprit. Forearms active too early - leads to flat swing. As mentioned this drill can help a lot. Stops early forearm role. Requires more side bend. Gets a better wrist set. Also would work lead knee out toward toes and not inward to trail knee. Looks like trail knee straightens too much.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.