2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Relocating To Atlanta - Best Country Clubs?

jrthom21

7 minutes ago, Tyrus Webb said:

Fair assessment.  It's not #5 at Dunwoody bad, but definitely a bit of a letdown after the rest of the course.

5 at Dunwoody may be the worst hole on a above mid tier facility in the state.

• Haha 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 7/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

5 at Dunwoody may be the worst hole on a above mid tier facility in the state.

Hole #5 gets a lot of undeserved heat for being a short dogleg.  Can hit anything from 9i to driver, depending on how much risk you want to take to get closer to the hole.

#4 is the worst hole at DCC.  Best drive of your life?  Thats nice, here is a 9 iron to be short of the water.  All risk and little reward for hitting 3W on the second shot.  

On 8/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, david.c.w said:

Hole #5 gets a lot of undeserved heat for being a short dogleg.  Can hit anything from 9i to driver, depending on how much risk you want to take to get closer to the hole.

#4 is the worst hole at DCC.  Best drive of your life?  Thats nice, here is a 9 iron to be short of the water.  All risk and little reward for hitting 3W on the second shot.  

There is fairway to the right of the water.  I’ve only played it twice and hit 3 wood to the low area just left of the green but right of the bunkers, and the other time 5 wood on the front/middle of the green.  But I’ve seen tons of par 5’s with water near the layup area and it’s either layup with a mid to short iron or challenge the water near or around the green with a long iron/hybrid or fairway wood.  11 is very similar with even more water and water closer to the green than the water on 4.

5 is the worst and then 16 is I think the second worst.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

13 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

There is fairway to the right of the water.  I’ve only played it twice and hit 3 wood to the low area just left of the green but right of the bunkers, and the other time 5 wood on the front/middle of the green.  But I’ve seen tons of par 5’s with water near the layup area and it’s either layup with a mid to short iron or challenge the water near or around the green with a long iron/hybrid or fairway wood.  11 is very similar with even more water and water closer to the green than the water on 4.

5 is the worst and then 16 is I think the second worst.

Jesus, what tees did you play?  Hole is 596 from the golds with an elevated green.  For a 4 index you must be able to bomb it and have confidence in your 3 wood to be very straight.

5 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Jesus, what tees did you play?  Hole is 596 from the golds with an elevated green.  For a 4 index you must be able to bomb it and have confidence in your 3 wood to be very straight.

I can still move it pretty good at 47, and my mini is far and away the best "3" wood I have ever put in my bag.  I have always played a 13.5 there, but now the mini is bigger but as long as you aren't in the rough it launches plenty high off the deck at my speed.  Last I checked my driver SS was roughly 112-118.

First time was from the gold in the middle of the summer, it is really downhill on the tee shot and the ball can run a good ways when the fairways are firm, plus the box was at the front of the tee box.

Second time was a mix of gold and blues I believe and we were a tee box up, I think it is only 550 from there and again really downhill. 

I know people love to brag about distance an over exaggerate, but here are the stats from my Arccos, and I am still learning Garmin.  I have switched from Arccos to Garmin at this point and cancelled my Arccos as in the three years I used it I gleaned what I needed, I just don't feel like practicing the things I need to at this point.

I am a four now but played D1 college golf and have done well in some state am events and a couple of US from 18-29.  Wrist surgery 5 years ago has stopped some practicing as well.

image.jpeg.8629b816b8118916d59ae4181a6a25ef.jpegimage.jpeg.f7f457e897913888e0bf16f3a77e2bd9.jpeg

26 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I can still move it pretty good at 47, and my mini is far and away the best "3" wood I have ever put in my bag.  I have always played a 13.5 there, but now the mini is bigger but as long as you aren't in the rough it launches plenty high off the deck at my speed.  Last I checked my driver SS was roughly 112-118.

First time was from the gold in the middle of the summer, it is really downhill on the tee shot and the ball can run a good ways when the fairways are firm, plus the box was at the front of the tee box.

Second time was a mix of gold and blues I believe and we were a tee box up, I think it is only 550 from there and again really downhill. 

I know people love to brag about distance an over exaggerate, but here are the stats from my Arccos, and I am still learning Garmin.  I have switched from Arccos to Garmin at this point and cancelled my Arccos as in the three years I used it I gleaned what I needed, I just don't feel like practicing the things I need to at this point.

I am a four now but played D1 college golf and have done well in some state am events and a couple of US from 18-29.  Wrist surgery 5 years ago has stopped some practicing as well.

image.jpeg.8629b816b8118916d59ae4181a6a25ef.jpegimage.jpeg.f7f457e897913888e0bf16f3a77e2bd9.jpeg

Touche.  Nobody I play with hits 3 wood on the second shot, mostly guys between 2.0 and 7.0.  Only the +2's and better give it a whack.  

2 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Touche.  Nobody I play with hits 3 wood on the second shot, mostly guys between 2.0 and 7.0.  Only the +2's and better give it a whack.  

I still find it bananas that you dislike four more than five or eleven(similarly same hole, issues with laying up more so because the water is all the way to and passed the green) or 16, just dumb with a dogleg and fairway and rough that runs towards a lake with a green set in the side of a giant hill.

10 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I still find it bananas that you dislike four more than five or eleven(similarly same hole, issues with laying up more so because the water is all the way to and passed the green) or 16, just dumb with a dogleg and fairway and rough that runs towards a lake with a green set in the side of a giant hill.

16 is a great hole.  If you can hit it in the water straight ahead on 16 you are playing the wrong tees. 

Edit:  I don't really dislike any of the holes.  Just that 4 is not reachable for 99.5% of golfers.  Driver-9i-PW.  Hole 11 is reachable with 2 good shots.  

Edited by david.c.w

7 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

16 is a great hole.  If you can hit it in the water straight ahead on 16 you are playing the wrong tees. 

Edit:  I don't really dislike any of the holes.  Just that 4 is not reachable for 99.5% of golfers.  11 is reachable with 2 good shots.  

Not the wrong tees, 16 is 280ish from the back of the tee box to the edge of the fairway where everything runs off to the water.  I hit Driver in it from the back tee box, I think it was 415-420 from there.  From blue teebox I hit a mini and a 5 wood, and the 5 wood was fine, but the mini would have been in the water had I not slapped it a bit and hit a big draw.

From the tips there are very few people that could hit 4 in two shots, most of them play for money, not every par 5 has to be a two shot hole, even with a great drive.  If hitting it in two after a great drive is a requirement and you hit a great drive and cannot, then you are playing the wrong tees.  I guess in a way 11 makes up for the lack of length that 4 has by adding water all the way up and past the green on the left and moguls and thick grass and pine straw and trees just right of that.

Every golf course has at least one hole on it that I do not like.  Peachtree, AAC(both), ACC, Cherokee(both), Settindown, crabapple, Pinetree, Indian Hills, Marietta, Berkeley, Druid Hills, PDC, ELAKE.   All of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

To be completely honest only Peachtree has great Bentgrass greens year round. If you are asking on here, then you aren't eligible to be a member at Peachtree, think Augusta National type of members.

I have played just about every private club in Atlanta in spring, fall and summer. The problem with Bent grass in Atlanta is by the time the fairways are good your greens are super soft and super slow. Fall is really the only time you get a great all around course with bent greens.

As far as areas to live..... East Cobb and John's creek have the best school districts, with East Cobb being thought of generally as the better of the two, but not by a ton. There are pockets in other areas with good schools, but not that much better for how much higher the homes are in those areas.

John's Creek great clubs that aren't stuffy........Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. To be honest, the higher end clubs all have a stuffy feeling, and more than anything that can ruin a club for a person. However level of stuffy and how stuffy something feels varies widely between individuals. I am sure there are members on WRX that are at Standard, St, Marlow, CC of the South, AAC, Sugarloaf, Golf Club of Georgia that aren't stuffy and plenty of folks who don't feel one or more of those clubs are stuffy. AAC absolutely has a waiting list, and at this point it is an invite only type of deal and in my opinion is the most stuffy of the Johns Creek area clubs. They are also Bermuda greens.

In general there are more clubs to look at that fit your criteria in the John's Creek area.

In the East Cobb area you are limited to Settindown, Marietta Country Club, and Cherokee. Settindown and Cherokee are far and away the better golf courses of those three. Marietta stays in pretty good shape, but with 27 holes they have maybe 14 good golf holes(In my opinion) I am sure someone will disagree with me here. Cherokee is invite only and they have a waiting list and bermuda greens. Pinetree, Indian HIlls, and Brookfield aren't really what you are looking for in the East Cobb area as none of these have the "prestige" you are looking for.

Milton "area" you have the Manor, White Columns, and Capital City Crabapple that all fit close to what you are looking for, but as Club Corp entities(Manor and WC), don't really have the prestige. Capital City does, but they may be invite only at this point.

Other areas, if you pay close attention you can get in a good school district in the Dunwoody area and Dunwoody Country Club fits your bill for the most part. Dunwoody also has some good schools close by if you buy in the correct area and also gives you good access to stuff in town as well. If I had it to do all over again, this is probably the course of action I would take.

I have to agree, Dunwoody Country Club is very nice!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing Rivermont tomorrow for the first time with a client who's a member there. Looks like a nice track. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

7 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Great course.  Just hosted Georgia Amateur.  Conditions should be perfect.  Enjoy!

I really liked the course a lot. Great collection of par threes and a good variety of target lines from the tee boxes on the longer holes. The course challenges you at every turn and requires all kinds of shots to score. I appreciate that they have good practice facilities as well.

If Rivermont is your home course you'll likely end up with a game that travels. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS