Impatient people on the course

I've had situations (a backup, lost ball causing us to drag behind a few min, our group was plain slow but willing to let people play through) where I've been purposely hit into before.

Granted there are times when it happens and it's purely accidental but when it's not my solution has always been simple. I just pick the ball up and continue playing. I've never had anyone hit into us twice after that or even confront me about picking the ball up (I guess being 6'5" comes in handy on rare occasions). Seems to me that hitting into people is a form of passive aggressive behavior and people that do it hope to get one result out of it and aren't willing to deal with undesired results.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

singles have absolutely no rights on a golf course. this is a long standing rule / guideline of golf courses.

if you go out as a single, rest assured that the clubhouse / marshall will not assist you regarding pace of play. you are up to the mercy of the groups in front of you to let you play through, and if they don't, they have that right.

that said, even though a group may have that right, it would be absurdly rude of them to utilize it, assuming the course in front of them is open. But, if you are a single, don't expect to show up at a course at 10 am and play through 14 groups.

technically, singles have no rights. But you hope people abide by the spirit of the law and not the letter of it.

So what planet is your golf course on where a twosome has the "right" to play through 14 groups?

I still don't see what rights a single is forfeiting. The marshall isn't going to assist me? They never assist with pace of play anyway whether I'm in a foursome or I'm a single.

Regardless of group size, you're always at the mercy of the group in front of you. A threesome or foursome can't just hit into the slow group in front of them and simply say, "We're playing through, we have the right." That is absurd.

The USGA website clearly states that slower groups should let faster groups through regardless of size.

I think some of you guys are WAY off base. It doesn't matter if there are 17 holes open ahead, it is NEVER okay to hit into someone.

So you're that guy who doesn't let me play through. If you've got 17 holes open and I'm riding your arse, let me play through or buy a hardhat.

I'd agree that if a group is slow and the course is empty, let them play through. If my boss and I were in front and someone hit into us.... no BS, the group behind them would be calling 911 when they found the guy in the fairway. I've seen him break a dude's eye socket and knock 3 of his teeth out with a 3piece. So I guess to everyone, on the course or in life in general, think about it before you decide to really f*** with someone. Everyone is out there to enjoy themselves, don't ruin the game for beginning golfers by acting like an a-hole.

I must saay... It is indeed scary to see some ppl's attitudes towards what started out as a gentlemans game. The extreme measure of hitting into a group in front of you just because you're not let thru??? I'd say you are missing some of the essence of golf. But this is just my opinion.

And even tho i agree that everyone that pays the fee have the same right on the course, it would appear that a single is gonna play a lot faster than a 3-some, and a 4-some, why do you guys claim that you have a RIGHT to be let thru?

I mean after all you choose to go out on the course alone, and why in gods name would you risk hurting someone just to get you're way??

How would it feel to see the paramedics come out to the course to help someone you hurt more or less intetionally?

I know for myself, that i would be sick to my stomache if i ever were to hit anybody, even if it was unintetional, and i yelled four of the top of my lounges..

I have seen time and time again ppl coming out on the 10th tee to start off the back nine, coming in singles and expecting to have their way on every turn. Messing up the whole back 9 because of this.

And even tho many would argue that it's the starters problem that you come out as 3 singles instead of one 3-some, then you are mistaken. In most of the western culture it is accepted to think individually, and you should come to this conclusion you're self as well.

But then again, if someone here feels that the shoe fits, then you're just an accident waiting to happen and sadly many of us would be better off if you might consider going on the treadmill at the gym instead.

My rant is over, and it comes as a result of beeing hit several times, even on stacked courses, by singles that think they have THE RIGHT to play thru...

I totally agree, when and where was it written about the 'rights' a golfer or a group of golfers have at a golf course. It all amounts to proper etiquetteand good decision making if you think you are holding somone up behind you.

It seems like from many of the posts and other experiences that people have had, that the person/group that was hit into was never asked by the hitter to if he could play thru. Anyone whose golfed w/ me would see that IF ASKED, I would let someone thru that wants to go thru.

If the guy/girl is a single (and you are a 4 some) let them play through if no one is front of you and you know they will not hold you up.

I have had a single hit into us (3 some) we play fast and at the time all right around scratch. The course was just slow, and had no where to go. The guy hit into us I kicked his ball in the rough, he did again and I just picked it up. The guy confronted us on the next tee. All I said was dude can you not see we are not holding you up it is the groups ahead of us. I said relax or you can just join us and play the rest in (he seemed to be good enough to keep up pace) It made it more enjoyable the rest of the round and the guy actually turned out to be pretty cool. I would say if you get hit into a few times, just wait at the next tee and tell the guy when he comes up that you might want to chill as it is going to be a slow day, if he is at your level ask him to join. Who knows you might find someone new to play with.

Kevin

Me and my dad are very fast golfers, we can usually get 9 done under an hour and a half. But since we are in season here in florida, rates pretty much doubled (or even more) everywhere so we play later in the day now, because it's cheaper, and of course it's crowded. There was a twosome and two foursome's ahead of them so of course it was gonna be slow. I have golfed over 17 yrs. ( started at age 3), played all over Ohio til I was 13, then moved to florida and, it's definitely a part of course ettiquete (sp?) / rules that is overlooked the most to me. If you have a chance of "getting ahold of one", don't hit.

Going back to the original post. The course was crowded and there was no place for the single to go anyway. There a few options at that point.

1) Invite the single to join your twosome.

2) Let the single know the groups are stacked up in front of you on the next tee.

3) Call the pro shop.

It is never ok to compound the problem by hitting the ball back at the player, not to mention you lower yourself to the same level as the guy you did not like in the beginning.

This coming from a player that has been hit about 6 times on the course in similar situations.

I must saay... It is indeed scary to see some ppl's attitudes towards what started out as a gentlemans game. The extreme measure of hitting into a group in front of you just because you're not let thru??? I'd say you are missing some of the essence of golf. But this is just my opinion.

And even tho i agree that everyone that pays the fee have the same right on the course, it would appear that a single is gonna play a lot faster than a 3-some, and a 4-some, why do you guys claim that you have a RIGHT to be let thru?

Where in this thread did anyone say that a single has the right to play through? Of course they don't. What was stated, and has been stated in other threads, is that "singles have no rights". All I want to know is what rights a twosome, threesome, or foursome has that a single doesn't. No one has ever been able to answer that question for me. It just seems to be some archaic justification for not letting someone play through.

If there is open space in front of you and a faster group behind you, you should let them play through, regardless of the size of the group. It's proper etiquette, the same as fixing ball marks and not stepping in someone's line. But if you're in a faster group and the group ahead won't let you through, that's certainly not a justification for hitting into them.

I play once in a while as a single. If the group ahead lets me through, I say thank you and try to get out of their way as quickly as possible. If they don't let me through, I play 2 or 3 balls and try to get extra practice around the greens. I certainly don't feel as though I have the right to play through everyone.

Where in this thread did anyone say that a single has the right to play through? Of course they don't. What was stated, and has been stated in other threads, is that "singles have no rights". All I want to know is what rights a twosome, threesome, or foursome has that a single doesn't. No one has ever been able to answer that question for me. It just seems to be some archaic justification for not letting someone play through.

If there is open space in front of you and a faster group behind you, you should let them play through, regardless of the size of the group. It's proper etiquette, the same as fixing ball marks and not stepping in someone's line. But if you're in a faster group and the group ahead won't let you through, that's certainly not a justification for hitting into them.

I play once in a while as a single. If the group ahead lets me through, I say thank you and try to get out of their way as quickly as possible. If they don't let me through, I play 2 or 3 balls and try to get extra practice around the greens. I certainly don't feel as though I have the right to play through everyone.

You must not be reading the comments made in previous replies.

More than one person has pointed to A USGA Guidline, someone commented it is no longer on the books, stating a single has no rights.

If it is still on the books or not, it was intended to make sure a single does not feel they have the right to just go on the course and play through groups all the way around and disrupting the whole course and it's flow of play.

If golf is truely a game played by gentlemen, the single would join a twosome or threesome at the first tee, stick out his hand and introduce himself and make a new friend.

Not bomb drives into the group in front that he feels may be holding up his three hour round.

What is meant is that singles don't have the right to show up at the course and expect to play through 14 groups as I previously stated. Slower groups are always supposed to let faster groups play through. But if the course is packed, and you're a single....you better do like the above poster and get ready to get a lot of short game practice in, because you're not going anywhere.

krustyburger:

I do not want to engage in flaming here so i'll keep this short and simple, and try not venture into rules and regulations i know nothing about.

I am merly stating the fact that there are a lot of singles out there expecting the whole course to let them play thru since, in all fairness they are playing faster. However it does not work like this. If you choose to play alone (wich i don't understand why anyone would), must you not face the consequences of having to wait a little bit here and there.. And especially if the course is packed.

I always suggest to singles that they join whatever flight i'm in, or even play thru, but i will not ever let a single thru if the next 3-4 holes is full. And the few times i have gone single, i rather play a 2nd ball, or even stop to enjoy my surroundings and have a smoke while the flight in front holes out and moves on.

But i guess it is all a difference in perception of what golf is, altho i have a feeling that some might have a better day if they get over themselves. And even tho i am only 29, i tend to agree with some other posts here on teh forum, that some of the younger players might need to lighten up a bit. It is after all "just" a game, unless you do this for a living.

I guess this got a bit longer then i intended, but here is the bottom line:

Go out and play good, and play fair. Enjoy the surroundings, and for gods sake, don't let a 5 minute wait throw you off you're game. It's not worth it.

My home course is 6226 yds and it normally takes me and my friends a good 4 hours on a semi busy day. I try to enjoy every second of it.

Thanx for respecting my opinion as i respect yours.

:bb2: bolded for emphasis.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

1. You must not be reading the comments made in previous replies.

2. More than one person has pointed to A USGA Guidline, someone commented it is no longer on the books, stating a single has no rights.

3. If it is still on the books or not, it was intended to make sure a single does not feel they have the right to just go on the course and play through groups all the way around and disrupting the whole course and it's flow of play.

4. If golf is truely a game played by gentlemen, the single would join a twosome or threesome at the first tee, stick out his hand and introduce himself and make a new friend.

5. Not bomb drives into the group in front that he feels may be holding up his three hour round.

1. I've read all of the posts.

2. I don't think this was ever a USGA guideline.

3. I've never felt this way as a single, and don't know anyone else who does. The problem I have is if you say singles have no rights, does that then mean that a twosome can show up at a course and expect to play through groups and disrupt the flow of play? I've asked before and I'll ask it again: What specific rights does a twosome have that the single doesn't?

4. I agree 100%. I always try to join another group. However, sometimes you show up at an empty tee and don't catch up to people until later in the round.

5. I agree 100%.

If the guy/girl is a single (and you are a 4 some) let them play through if no one is front of you and you know they will not hold you up.

I have had a single hit into us (3 some) we play fast and at the time all right around scratch. The course was just slow, and had no where to go. The guy hit into us I kicked his ball in the rough, he did again and I just picked it up. The guy confronted us on the next tee. All I said was dude can you not see we are not holding you up it is the groups ahead of us. I said relax or you can just join us and play the rest in (he seemed to be good enough to keep up pace) It made it more enjoyable the rest of the round and the guy actually turned out to be pretty cool. I would say if you get hit into a few times, just wait at the next tee and tell the guy when he comes up that you might want to chill as it is going to be a slow day, if he is at your level ask him to join. Who knows you might find someone new to play with.

Kevin

Great going kevin, best outcome possible.

I'm glad that you gave this guy a chance and not escalating it to something ugly.

krustyburger:

I do not want to engage in flaming here so i'll keep this short and simple, and try not venture into rules and regulations i know nothing about.

I am merly stating the fact that there are a lot of singles out there expecting the whole course to let them play thru since, in all fairness they are playing faster. However it does not work like this. If you choose to play alone (wich i don't understand why anyone would), must you not face the consequences of having to wait a little bit here and there.. And especially if the course is packed.

I always suggest to singles that they join whatever flight i'm in, or even play thru, but i will not ever let a single thru if the next 3-4 holes is full. And the few times i have gone single, i rather play a 2nd ball, or even stop to enjoy my surroundings and have a smoke while the flight in front holes out and moves on.

But i guess it is all a difference in perception of what golf is, altho i have a feeling that some might have a better day if they get over themselves. And even tho i am only 29, i tend to agree with some other posts here on teh forum, that some of the younger players might need to lighten up a bit. It is after all "just" a game, unless you do this for a living.

I guess this got a bit longer then i intended, but here is the bottom line:

Go out and play good, and play fair. Enjoy the surroundings, and for gods sake, don't let a 5 minute wait throw you off you're game. It's not worth it.

My home course is 6226 yds and it normally takes me and my friends a good 4 hours on a semi busy day. I try to enjoy every second of it.

Thanx for respecting my opinion as i respect yours.

You aren't flaming me. I agree with you completely.

This is from the usga rules on the web: pg 13 of the pdf.

Priority on the course

Unless otherwise determined by the committee, priority on the course is determined by the group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term "group" includes a single player.

Golf and slow play go together. It has always tickled me that people cant wait to get on a course then cant wait to get off it.

I am not a slow player but I have slowed down over the years. (I am a little slow putting) pretty quick everywhere else.

But I never get irritated by slow play its just not worth it.

Now hit in too me thats another thing all together. I hit it back in my youth usually over there heads.

That being dangerous I whack it someplace else now . Recently I walked over and flipped the guy off then kicked his ball in the water.

If this makes me a jerk no problem dont hit in to me period you dont have to meet my jerk side.

It happened to me this past summer playing in a 3-some to have the 3-some behind us hit into in a sharp right dogleg. There is bell to ring to warn the following group they can hit. They did not wait for the bell. We were not holding anybody as it is a French Riviera course that gets extremely crowed over the summer and we were basically waiting on every hole. So completely ridiculous behavior on their behalf. I put the ball on a tee and I heard the guy screaming because I was picking up his ball to do so. This is very telling, if I hit close to somebody I rush forward to apologize, I do not scream at people on top of it.

From there I moved forward and I told my parents who I was playing with that day that we should let these idiots through on the next hole that is a par-3 with an island green. We moved to the tee played our balls and then went to the green. As soon as our new "friends"appeared we waved at them to let them through. Two of them shot in the water, we were just laughing at them. They were so upset they did not even finish the hole and they stormed past us to the next tee. However the lady in their group came to pick up her ball and she explained us that since they were members at this club, they did not like to wait and should be waved through. My mother answered as politely as she could that herself and my father are members as well but that etiquette is for everybody and did not have anything to do with membership. The lady just followed her husband to the next tee. She was very red in the face.

All this long story to tell you that just treat the idiots on the golf course as they deserve, no need to shoot back at them, life always takes care of them and they manage to hit their ball in the pond without any help.