Closest good course to Tampa airport?

deaddog

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are heading to WW you are going to head north on the veterans. You have 4 choices pretty close off the exits:

Linebaugh Exit: Westchase - decent design, if it’s not wet the course plays well

Lutz Lake Fern Rd Exit: TPC Tampa Bay - course is in good shape right now

Same Exit: Cheval Golf Club - as long as its not wet you are fine

Route 54 Exit: Fox Hollow Golf Club - nice design, greens are typically firm and fast during snow bird season

Awesome info - thanks. Looks like it hasn't rained in a week or so. Question -- if all my timing works great, would you recommend heading straight up to World Woods vs trying one of the other courses. Variety is nice but if WW is a better course (conditions, lack of houses, pace of play), the extra 30 minutes may be worth it.

I did a WW trip in December, my first time, and everyone I talked to at WW said head to Southern Hills Plantation. It's a Pete Dye course and was in immaculate condition when we went. I'd rank Pine Barrens ahead of it but preferred Southern Hills over Rolling Oaks.

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

It's my understanding it's semi private and only offer limited afternoon times to the public

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

Thanks again for all this info. Plane landed Monday at 12:25 pm, grabbed baggage and a car, made it to Southern Hills Plantationon Monday by 2:00, course was empty, played by myself, finished in 2:40. 36 at WW on Tuesday - group of 4 on Pine Barrens in am, finished in 4:00, played alone on Rolling Oaks in the afternoon - marshall asked if I minded starting on 10 to avoid a couple of groups, I agreed, and played with nobody in front or behind me the entire way other than a 4-some that jumped me at the turn but nicely let me play through after 1 hole - finished in 2:40 even playing a few practice shots on 17/18. Wednesday morning at PB at 8, twosome, first off, finished in 3:00. Quick shower in the locker room, stop at La Teresita for awesome cubano, drop off the car and still way early for the flight home. 72 holes in less than 60 hours - fantastic.

My thoughts on the courses, relative to each other. All were way better than just ok, a lot of this is subjective, I'm a 13.5 handicap who likes good conditions, fast greens, and scenery (especially no houses). Non-golf course specific amenities (clubhouse, food, pro shop items, fancy carts w/ GPS) are all very secondary to me.

Southern Hills Plantation - kind of boring. A number of blind shots but otherwise pretty straightforward. Conditions were pretty good although greens a bit beat. Scenery just ok with a number of houses. Not well marked for visitors - no diagrams of holes on signs or scorecards, not great guidance to next tee. I get that its a semi-private but when you sell a lot of tee times, you should accomodate the public (as opposed to the various "members only" signs, including on the range). Nice clubhouse, lots of bag guys and other attendants in uniform. All were pleasant but service was not super friendly or attentive - fine but noticeably "meh." At $79 for 18, a decent bargain.

Pine Barrens -- loved this course. No civilization to be seen from course (no houses, no electric wires, no nothing but wilderness). Fun, interesting holes, lots of risk/reward, including carry shots, not overly penal for missed shots. Conditions were very good to excellent on the course and that which was only very good was more aesthetic than anything (tee boxes showed some dirt but were very level and when you're teeing it up, don't need pretty grass). Fairways were in fantastic shape, a bit soft so no roll but no dampness except dew. Greens had been sanded a couple of weeks ago, they looked fast but were actually pretty slow but still fun. Non-course stuff was pretty beat up - cart paths with buckling concrete, pretty shabby clubhouse with small counter-grill, tiny locker room with single semi-abandoned shower, falling down awards stand. BUT, the people working there could not have been nicer or better at their job. Bag guys were older dudes in totally non-matching t-shirts and trucker caps but super friendly and quick with good advice. Pro shop guys were nice and fast, sandwich at the turn was quick and excellent. And, as mentioned above, the marshall/ranger helped me out to avoid backlogs - without me even asking.

Rolling Oaks - also loved this course. Maybe even prettier than Pine Barrens. Fewer forced carries so perhaps not as much risk/reward but an interesting and very fun round. Same conditions (really good) as PB.

I thought WW was a bargain @ 99 for 18 and 148 for 36. They told me to sign up for emails and save around 20-30% for next time.

All of the above is without regard to how I played. In fact, I scored better (or the same) on SHP (the allegedly much harder course per slope from equivalent tee boxes/lengths) than I did on PB or RO. But I enjoyed PB and RO much more and will return to them. I won't be playing SHP again - not with WW just up the road.

Great write up. I'm there in 6 days! Can't wait to get away from this frozen tundra...

Have a PB tee time Thursday AM, going to do +9/18 on RO afterwards depending on how playing partner is feeling. Was going to book SHP for Friday, but now I'm wondering if I should go for PB again or Jovita South.

I'm on the hook for all 4 green fees on Friday. Signed up for the WW email... We'll see if they throw me a bone.

No question that I would play PB (or RO) again rather than SHP for all of the reasons stated above. And, to be clear. I toned it down a bit for public consumption and not to offend the many SHP fans. The only thing that would change my mind is if you were a huge Pete Dye fan and you wanted to play one of his courses in honor of his recent death (seriously, some of my buddies would do that - I wouldn't). Can't speak to Jovita South as I haven't played it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back, home base was Tarpon Springs.

Played Pine Barrens, Rolling Oaks, Fox Hollow, The Eagles Forest & some other small goat ranch...

World Woods

Both courses in good shape! Good employees, decent food at the Turn. Rangers present on both courses a few times. Cool little iron range with great acoustics off the timber for flushing irons before tee off. Pine Barrens - Loved it. Beautiful and forgiving. Played from the Green Tees with a couple of good dudes from NYC & Houston (might even be on here). Just a great looking course (which is one thing I really look for, I'm not good enough to be over critical on anything small). Overall good result, and really enjoyed the whole round. First time playing the big waste bunkers. Only found them a few times. My partner that day was in them non stop. Rolling Oaks - Different then PB for sure, wide open, greens like armor, again a very forgiving course off the tee. Teed up @ 2:22 after lunch, had the entire place to ourselves. Gripped and ripped every tee. Had a lot of fun, If I was going to WW again I'd play PB twice instead. Its just prettier. But wouldn't be mad if the group I was with wanted to re-play on RO instead. Fox Hollow - Also loved it. Great layout. Nice homes to look at for a residential course! Greens were excellent and fast. Whole course was in good shape. Good pace of play, didn't get held back much at all. Overall a nice round. Same score as PB. The Eagles Forest - Wasn't too bad, layout wise not too special, saw deer, gators, and had a great time with the group we were out. My worst round of the trip, little fatigued.

UJ8OH5CHTKQF.jpg

RNCFJ5ERFKVR.jpg

YYG7OFTLAK9U.jpg

0S5HTBN8B8CT.jpg

B7CX87C46JQK.jpg

4M46YO2RB243.jpg

G2JBI0H69EM6.jpg

1ACHOEUOABMI.jpg

NX5Q0Q5NJCCC.jpg