Would you say something to your buddy...

larrybud

if he acted like a total jackass...??
Played Saturday and Sunday with one of my best friends. I've known him for 15 years. He's not a great golfer, but not a complete hack (~10 index).

We're having fun, great match on Saturday. I'm 1 up with 3 to play. He completely blows up on the 16th hole. No less than 3 balls into the hazard. He was p'd off. Ok, we've all been there. I go on to win the last 3 holes, even coming back -3 with 4 to go on the back to win +1.

He barely says a word for the last 3 holes.

So then we go to play yesterday, and the first swing he snaps on OB, and then go on to act like jackass for the rest of the round. I would have had better conversation if I played with myself. At the turn he loads up on 6 beers (I rarely drink when on the course), and he pounds two of them down while riding out to the 10th hole. Couple of holes later, he air mails a green with a wedge. He's looking for his ball when I tell him that it went about 15 yards over. He's carrying his putter and 2 wedges, and just whips them into the ground. I was hoping he'd break his $200 putter to teach him a lesson, but to no avail.

Then for the last 3 holes, he's long lost the Sunday match, and is barely paying attention, while I would still like to get my money's worth in that I'm +1 on the back 9.

Anyway, I've had more fun at the dentist after eating a pound of oreos.

Would you say something? I've kicked it around today contemplating what to say, or if to say anything at all. He HAS had a temper in the past on the course, but not all that often, but I can do without club throwing.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Saturday and Sunday with one of my best friends. I've known him for 15 years. He's not a great golfer, but not a complete hack (~10 index).

We're having fun, great match on Saturday. I'm 1 up with 3 to play. He completely blows up on the 16th hole. No less than 3 balls into the hazard. He was p'd off. Ok, we've all been there. I go on to win the last 3 holes, even coming back -3 with 4 to go on the back to win +1.

He barely says a word for the last 3 holes.

So then we go to play yesterday, and the first swing he snaps on OB, and then go on to act like jackass for the rest of the round. I would have had better conversation if I played with myself. At the turn he loads up on 6 beers (I rarely drink when on the course), and he pounds two of them down while riding out to the 10th hole. Couple of holes later, he air mails a green with a wedge. He's looking for his ball when I tell him that it went about 15 yards over. He's carrying his putter and 2 wedges, and just whips them into the ground. I was hoping he'd break his $200 putter to teach him a lesson, but to no avail.

Then for the last 3 holes, he's long lost the Sunday match, and is barely paying attention, while I would still like to get my money's worth in that I'm +1 on the back 9.

Anyway, I've had more fun at the dentist after eating a pound of oreos.

Would you say something? I've kicked it around today contemplating what to say, or if to say anything at all. He HAS had a temper in the past on the course, but not all that often, but I can do without club throwing.

Is he a good friend? If so, you should be able to say something.

Is he a sorta good friend who at least respects you? If so, I usually lead with a "Dude." If it happens again, "DUDE." Again? "DUUUUUDE!" At some point he will look at you like he knows, or he will say "what?" - at which point you say "Dude. Why are you getting so upset? We're just out here having fun."

Is he not a friend? Hit him in the adam's apple with a 5-iron and run.

Your buddy? Just tell him to chill it. I played with guys who drops f-bombs all over; it's embarassing, especially if there are ladies on the tee from other flights. There's just no class in it. I'll tell him to go easy on his words and chill it; and after a while they get it. They might call you their mama, or a puritan, but hey a round of golf without cussing is always welcomed =)

You 3 options depending on how close of friends you are.

1. Tell him that you don't enjoy playing golf with him when he goes crazy and you're not sure if you want to continue playing if it continues. Be sure to explain it's nothing personal, just that it's hard to enjoy the game when he is obviously not having a good time.

2. Make up reasons why you can't play next time he calls and he might get the picture or even ask you.

3. Don't say a word and just deal with it. You'll be sure not to offend him, but I don't know if you'll really want to be friends with him long term. And you definitely won't enjoy golf with him after a few more rounds and be looking at options 1 and 2 again.

I had to check your location. I thought you might have been playing with some of my friends. :shout:

This doesn't happen as often as it used too with my buddies. I tell them to calm down or a crack a joke "Go ahead and beat your driver on the ground, maybe if you hit it hard enough you can turn this hole into a 350-dollar par4." -or- "another 80 yards left and you'd be in the fringe." -or- "I didn't know you were a club maker, can you change the lie on my club while you're in the mood?" -or- "a least you're getting to see the whole course." -or- "Hit a couple more of them and you might have to goto Q-school."

Obviously my humor doesn't work in every melt down situation but usually it helps them snap out of it and see how dumb they are acting. If someone can't snap out of a jackass state or melts down on me or someone else in our group personally I'll say something to them. I also remind them about their previous behavior before we setup the next round.

I half wimped out and emailed my buddy. I told him that he's one of my best friends, and I realize he was having a tough day, but that it was a real bummer playing golf with him this weekend. We always have a bet going (5/5/5), and that we can certainly lower that bet, because in the end, if you shoot 80 or 100, it's all about fun.

He emailed me back, thanked me for my honesty, and apologized. I told him no prob, and let's have fun next time we play...

• 2 months later...

I would probably say something if he acts that way again. I would definitely still play with him though - golf is always fun with friends.

Me and my buddy would lose it every so often...no club throwing or anything like that. Mostly just being disappointed and frustrated at ourselves for bad swings etc. Normally we get our composure back before the next shot. Sometimes it would last 2-3 holes after the ie. bad shot BUT it never would last whole round or in your case two rounds.

Tell him to chill.