Do I need a weaker shaft?

Bought the Ping G425 Max 9* with stiff Tensei Orange AV Raw 65 shaft.  Played with it for a week now and am struggling to get enough backspin with it.  Have been getting a lot of shots in the low 1,000 rpm range.  

Have been reading on here about too low of backspin and most people recommend lofting up.  I already the launch the ball pretty high (14.5* average).  I tried lofting up to 10.5* today and I lost distance and didn't help with backspin.

Does this mean I should try regular flex?  My bad shots with the G425 have been a bad hook. Ball speed averages between 145 - 150 mph.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) what are you using to measure spin?   Also more numbers might help.   swing speed, ball speed, dynamic loft, AoA.

2) Use foot powder spray to check the face impact location and the consistency of the impact location.    Face impact location is the most important factor by far when it comes to how much spin you get.   High launch and low spin is typical of the impact being too high on the face.

3) No, you don't choose or change shafts to control launch and spin. But that doesn't mean the shaft is a good fit.  The shafts should be chosen based on the consistency of the results and the feel.  But were you fit for that shaft?  why did you choose it?

Edited by Stuart_G

• 2 weeks later...

Like Stuart said, more info would be great.  Let me ask a couple questions..

Were you hitting it fine outside?

Did you go inside to hit, started looking at launch monitor numbers and all of the sudden it’s low spin and snap hooks?

How long have you had the club.

Reason I ask is when I hit inside I swing like an idiot.  Chasing swing and ball speed numbers.  All of the sudden I go from hitting it fine outside to hitting 1100 rpm snap hooks indoors. My AOA is good, my launch is good but the face is not doing what it normally does when I’m outside. Have you hit your old driver and the new one side by side to see if the results are different?

This winter I played a round on an odd warm day in January after a month on the sim and snap hooked every drive until the last 2 holes ( we played 9).  I went to the range and hit the driver fine and didn’t hit it again indoors.  

One other thing, where is the moveable weight positioned on the head?  You know in the heel won’t help you.

Edited by Typhoon1992

@Stuart_G @Typhoon1992 I'm using the GC2 (ball stats only so no club data).  I'm currently using the Ping G425 Max 9* with stiff Tensei Orange AV Raw 65.  Last year I used the SIM 10.5 cranked down to lowest loft with stiff Ventus Blue 6 made for shaft and had pretty similar ball stats except my ball speed was about 10 mph faster.  But that is mostly attributable to taking the winter off I think.

I don't think it's a swing flaw as I'm hitting the 425 Max great, just don't get the low spin.  I've read that more loft should produce more spin but that didn't work for me.  

58 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

@Stuart_G @Typhoon1992 I'm using the GC2 (ball stats only so no club data).  I'm currently using the Ping G425 Max 9* with stiff Tensei Orange AV Raw 65.  Last year I used the SIM 10.5 cranked down to lowest loft with stiff Ventus Blue 6 made for shaft and had pretty similar ball stats except my ball speed was about 10 mph faster.  But that is mostly attributable to taking the winter off I think.

I don't think it's a swing flaw as I'm hitting the 425 Max great, just don't get the low spin.  I've read that more loft should produce more spin but that didn't work for me.  

So what are the ball numbers?  speed, spin, launch angle, spin axis (or back/side spin numbers).

If changing loft doesn't do much to the spin, then that's another common indicator of a face impact location issue.

Don't think of it as a swing flaw, think of rather as less than optimal delivery of the club into impact.  That is assuming the face impact location is good.  As mention before, that's the first thing you really need to check.  You can't rely on just feel to judge the impact location, you need to use the foot powder spray or impact tape.

Edited by Stuart_G

12 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

So what are the ball numbers?  speed, spin, launch angle, spin axis (or back/side spin numbers).

If changing loft doesn't do much to the spin, then that's another common indicator of a face impact location issue.

Don't think of it as a swing flaw, think of rather as less than optimal delivery of the club into impact.  That is assuming the face impact location is good.  As mention before, that's the first thing you really need to check.  You can't rely on just feel to judge the impact location, you need to use the foot powder spray or impact tape.

Ball speed this year between 145 to 150 mph.  Launch angle usually between 14 to 15*.  Backspin anywhere between 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm.  Sidespin with the G425 is insanely low (very straight driver) usually less than 500 rpm, sometimes close to zero.  My mishit is a hook.  Height between 80 to 100 feet.

Just ordered some foot spray.  Will post pics of impact later this week when it gets here.

Edited by Titleist84
Added more info on sideapin

I wish you could see your AOA.   Without seeing your swing or having head data it’s a crap shoot.  Foot spray will only show you where on the face you’re hitting it.  You could be perfect but face angle, path etc... could be whack.  Also when you loft down, the less loft will give you more ball speed.

So I hit this tonite on the GC Quad with a G400max 10.5 with a House of Forged Express Stiff.  And it was a tiny draw.  It was pretty much high center of the face.  I put this here because you had similar ball speed, launch and spin numbers

150 mph

15.8 launch

1744 spin

31 rpm side spin left

35 degree angle of decent

96’ height

271/296 carry and roll

path in to out 2.5 degrees

face angle 0

AOA 6.5 degrees

You really need to get outside.  I just went through the indoor snap hooks too where launch, speed, height were good but I was moving my body laterally too much and delivering a poor face angle with the head.  Once I fixed that my hook is gone.  I slowed down some indoors which is fine.  Outside is where it’s played.

Edited by Typhoon1992

6 hours ago, Typhoon1992 said:

I wish you could see your AOA.    Without seeing your swing or having head data it’s a crap shoot.  Foot spray will only show you where on the face you’re hitting it.  You could be perfect but face angle, path etc... could be whack.  Also when you loft down, the less loft will give you more ball speed

Dynamic loft would be nice but AoA isn't important, especially in this case.   The side spin plus impact location will tell us all we need to know about face-to-path.

• 5 months later...