SC300 swing data. Now what?

I have been using the swing caddy sc300 for a few weeks during the winter and early spring.  I liked the idea I was able to find the distance.  Then I would research about smash and little other things. Now, I want to know what the heck I’m looking at.  Pros and cons of my data. I know club fitters use the data to dial down a shaft or try a different head. Or any combo. Now that I have my clubs.  What do I try to improve on?  Do I have the right setup?  I have enclosed the data from the swing Caddy app. Pretty cool.  Any help or insight would be great.  I was using the Taylormade M4 10.5 with a projext x riptide CB stiff 70g shaft.  Thank you in advance!

AF375131-C34C-40F7-B5D6-ADAE8F0D5D4E.png

17 minutes ago, jjmmagoo said:

Great question, to be honest it was at a outdoor driving range that is shielded from the elements.  

You still need to verify the data or you could be chasing ghosts. The sc300 is a good unit but it's definitely not to be as accurate for dialing in a driver like a Trackman or GCQuad.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:59 AM, jjmmagoo said:

I have been using the swing caddy sc300 for a few weeks during the winter and early spring.  I liked the idea I was able to find the distance.  Then I would research about smash and little other things. Now, I want to know what the heck I’m looking at.  Pros and cons of my data. I know club fitters use the data to dial down a shaft or try a different head. Or any combo. Now that I have my clubs.  What do I try to improve on?  Do I have the right setup?  I have enclosed the data from the swing Caddy app. Pretty cool.  Any help or insight would be great.  I was using the Taylormade M4 10.5 with a projext x riptide CB stiff 70g shaft.  Thank you in advance!

AF375131-C34C-40F7-B5D6-ADAE8F0D5D4E.png

Here's what I learned from using the SC300.  As long as you have the correct loft of your driver in the settings, the smash factor and al the other numbers should be fairly accurate.  I've compared it to Trackman and while its not exactly as accurate as Trackman, its about $20,000 cheaper.  If you keep the thing a pretty consistent distance behind the ball, you will get consistent readings.  When you are hitting drivers, this is much easier to do since you can keep putting your tee in the same spot.  When you are hitting irons and taking divots, you gotta be more active in moving the monitor around as you move the hitting area.  

If you are looking to improve on some stuff, you should look at the launch angle.  I would ask in another forum what the optimal launch angles are and either adjust your driver to try to achieve that or work on hitting the ball up just a little.  Your swing speed isn't far off from mine, but your yardages are much shorter.  That could be either your launch angle or your spin rate.  Last year, I lowered my driver loft from 10 to 8.5 and went from a 68 gram shaft to a 58 gram shaft and my driver distance really jumped up.  I'm not using a new driver either.  I'm still hitting the M3.  Don't be afraid to try different things out.

Thank you!!!! This was most helpful.  I look at the numbers and trying to decipher what it all means to me.  Believe it or not my distance is usually better.  But I was shocked to see the spin rate and the swing speed and I end up with such bad distance.  
I added a picture from this past summer practice session.  This is my normal average driving distance. So imagine my shock when using the new sc300!  It made me question everything. 

Thank you

4DECEF98-029E-47EE-A605-B94C1DBDFBCB.jpeg

14 hours ago, jjmmagoo said:

Thank you!!!! This was most helpful.  I look at the numbers and trying to decipher what it all means to me.  Believe it or not my distance is usually better.  But I was shocked to see the spin rate and the swing speed and I end up with such bad distance.  
I added a picture from this past summer practice session.  This is my normal average driving distance. So imagine my shock when using the new sc300!  It made me question everything. 

Thank you

4DECEF98-029E-47EE-A605-B94C1DBDFBCB.jpeg

1.49 smash factor is pretty good.  That's why your yardage is increased.  My personal preference is to only look at carry yardage too....only because if I want to clear a bunker or a hazard, I want to know if my average carry is going to get it done.  We don't get a ton of roll here in Ohio anyway, at least under most conditions.  I guess it depends on where you live though.  

Thank you.  Yes that was a practice session from the summer and the sc300 data is from this winter.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement.   Then again I am hitting frozen golf balls.  I’m wondering if I’m losing distance based on the high spin rate?   The smash factor makes sense.  And you are right I do look at the carry.  Thank you again!

Looks like you've had my issue (hitting down) on driver.

You should also look at using proper balls not range balls as it changes ballspeed/spin entirely.

I've got SC300 myself.

Remember it calculates some of this stuff not measure it so won't be like a TM.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Hey OP,  So I am going to be that guy. I like to read data as a fun thing, so I am not perfect at it but I think I am consistent.

SC300 vs SC200

I have an ES14 and SC100 the Ball speeds are VERY close, Swing speed and actual launch data varies. With that Comparing to Trackman and GCquad fitting, the base ball speeds are good! After that you need to really consider what you are looking at and looking for.

Moving on....

1) SC3000 vs SC200 -  149mph Ball speeds.  are about average I see,  Now if you notice the carry distances are WAY off 285y with the SC200 vs about 232y with the SC300

2) Next is Smash vs Swing speed.   SC200 has you at 1.49 with 100mph Swing speed,  SC300 has you well below about 1.42 and lets say 105mph swing speed.   I am assuming you did Infact increase you speed getting your SC300? So say you got a bump in 5mph average.

SC200 takes pre determined data, Launch angle and spin and calculates with your ball speed and the pre set loft and spits out a carry distance.  honestly 285y carry is unlikely unless you live in 4000ft elevation.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Play with this all you WANT,  149mph ball speeds just wont get 280y+ of carry... 249y+/-5 yards at best.  You stated that SC200 is your average driving distance. honestly with 149y ballspeed which I know the systems measure well, Sorry just dont buy it that 285 is your average driving distance.  Not being disrespectful. Numbers dont match.

image.png.574ac7f5c7e5d60fe533a72a0fdb9af2.png

Ok Moving on to your SC300 numbers.  Those LOOK legit and your spin numbers Launch angles are evident of your launch window that is robbing you of distance.

1) Your SC300 ballspeed averages which is critical in calculating items. It seems you are getting about 147-150y average ballspeeds.  with MAX efficiency that = 99mph of swing speed... I dont think you swing that low.  I think you are not getting the best efficiency. 

2) I assume you are getting around 105mph swing speed so MAX efficiency you should be getting about 157.5mph ball speed. Average safe Efficiency is 105x 1.47 smash = 154mph ballspeeds.  Which you are not producing or near it.

Ok NOW efficiency.  With any type of regularity 154mph ballspeeds. (105mph with 1.47smash) This would be an realistic launch window. If you tried to make your swing efficient by launch and spin. 

image.png.a762f309872a5658fee25a7889a287fb.png

Here is the Absolute max I assume based on 1.5 smash at max swing speeds (Slightly lower launch angle with a little less spin)

image.png.a7e0aabbe779cfe9b8dbc40a8b0fe59e.png

Cont.

Edited by Exactice808

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

SC300 Data.  

1) You Ballspeed dropped period, 

2) Your Efficiency dropped period

3) Your spin is WAY high

4) your Launch angle as all over the place (Peak heights all over the place)

My thoughts.

1) You Need to work on your Efficiency,  Quality of strike to ball speed.  *Note*  Most personal $500 LM's dont read Swing speed well, They read ball speed well, so take the swing speeds with a grain of salt. Assume your smash factors are off so be open minded about your efficiency.

2) Your Spin is exceptionally high, But I know that SC300 uses the app to display the spin and I know that the spin is calculated as well. Much like my ES14 and similar $500 systems. So spin is a little sketchy. 

3) Launch angle to obtain you launch window.  I am one for carry so anything over 100mph swing speed, 100+ft peak height is always a target.  With your LA at less than 16* for your swing speed I think you have AoA issues? 

4) AoA issues bring in higher spin and spin loft issues.

SO.  SC200 has preset Launch and Spin.  It will NOT give you honest distances if your LA and spin is flawed.

SC300 is now giving you better LA and spin.  So how you are getting 285y distance back than unless you had a major swing change..... You need to get on a Trackman and really work out your swing data to optimize your Launch Data.

GL OP.  sorry to be brutally honest. but Its just an opinion and random dude on the internet.

Edited by Exactice808

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Just want to thank you for the information and the honesty in your assessment.  To be completely honest I normally hit the ball in the 280 range. I know distance isn’t everything and at the age of 50 I don’t really put much emphasis in a long game like I used too. I know based on the numbers i really think the sc300 has helped me and also confused me at the same time.  I think I really need to just focus on a clean swing with tempo.  The confusion has really messed with my head in that the distance numbers don’t add up 

anyways thank you everyone!

14 hours ago, jjmmagoo said:

Just want to thank you for the information and the honesty in your assessment.  To be completely honest I normally hit the ball in the 280 range. I know distance isn’t everything and at the age of 50 I don’t really put much emphasis in a long game like I used too. I know based on the numbers i really think the sc300 has helped me and also confused me at the same time.  I think I really need to just focus on a clean swing with tempo.  The confusion has really messed with my head in that the distance numbers don’t add up 

anyways thank you everyone!

Hey jjmmagoo,

With my thoughts. I dont doubt you can hit 280 range.  Your situation, location and course conditions could give you those distances. I want you to understand your assessment and best opportunity to understand what is realistic.

To be further direct, I am 100% confident that all $500 units are accurate in ball speed measurements (Mevo, Swing Caddie, Ernest sport etc)  They measure ball speed well. (Not so much swing speed as I mentioned)

The confusion is the SC200 giving unrealistic carry data.  You then take that preset distance to the course and somehow you have it in your head you got 285y.

Here is my S100 on the course live play, gamer ball.  1mph difference of ball speed, yet you have 26y more carry distance? Remember these units don't take environmental factors just raw measurement (Ballspeed). Lastly This is total distance for me NOT carry.

SC100.jpg.627c41fc0b78d2dc21df8377757196b5.jpg

Ive used this on the course quite a bit and with my ES14 as well, so the calibration and numbers are pretty consistent.

Maybe the SC200 you have is way off in calibration?  As again to hit 280 you need 160mph ball speeds. I am afraid to see what distance the unit will give if it read 160mph ballspeeds instead of 149mph.

The SC300 again by data, is pretty spot on. The only thing that would be giving an "off" data is the spin which is giving your reduced distances.  But again the launch angle seems to verify the Angle of Attack which seems steep thus higher spin.

Closing again,

1) You might have a steep swing, verified by the low LA and High spin

2) Your smash factors are low, indicating low efficiency.  That is why your ballspeeds are so low, for 280 again you need about 160mph ballspeeds. And both your LM's are no where near 160mph unfortunately.

Fix the 2 above and you might be getting your 160mph ballspeeds,  2000rpms of spin and 15-16* of launch and you should be golden.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Thank you. And I didn’t take any offense to what you were saying as the facts you gave me makes perfect sense.  Trust me, I am far from one of those guys that says he hits it a mile.  At my local course I have used the cart GPS and the yardage markers as a frame of reference.  Also with my personal GPS I factored in some data.  I think you are dead on with the efficiency quotient.  

i just didn’t understand what the data.  Also using crap range balls doesn’t help.  This is the reason why I asked my question to begin with.  I don’t think it’s as accurate as some of the more expensive units. I was just wondering how maybe I can improve.  Thank you all for your help!  

• Like 1