2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any feedback appreciated!

miss lately has been push, sometimes slight push draw other times slight push fade, left side of the course is normally where i end up especially around the green. 

the guy I had lessons with is fully booked for another 6 weeks so thinking might have to try and find somebody else, but for now any feedback or advice is appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a handful of things causing your push issues here, i'll try to break them down:

228727118_ScreenShot2021-05-18at3_04_38PM.png.28c1781485e868292e102af524012710.png

The important lines to focus on here are the ones establishing your shaft plane and hip depth (the line behind your butt). 

Your address position in Panel #1 looks fine, but the first oddities we see in Panel #2 are the club coming back very inside/flat and the head dipping down. We also see a lot more of your lead hip swinging out in front of you and your trail hip not gaining any depth, this will get worse as the swing goes on. 

In Panel #3 at the top of your swing we two main concerns. First, your hands are VERY deep (behind you). This is a position that requires very good lower body rotation to keep the club on plane. The hips need to maintain or increase depth to give deep hands space to get back on plane. Unfortunately the second problem is that you're losing hip depth at this point, and thus is death for a flatter swing. Your right hip should be at or slightly across that red line at the top of the backswing, and you have started coming away from it. 

What we see then in Panel #4 is result of this. As the hips move towards the ball, you are forced to change (steepen) your shaft plane. The red dot in the top right is the location of your hands at the top. The green line extending from it shows roughly the pack your hands would have to follow to get back on plane, and obviously the red line is showing that path they have taken. You have come over the top and started pulling your hands towards the ball instead of dropping down into the "slot". Why this is happening can be a tricky chicken/egg situation, but it is largely a subconscious reaction to the positions you have put your body in. They can be:

1) Your body attempting to balance/center it self in response to your hands initially traveling so far back (behind you) and then forward (towards the ball)
2) A product of your lead (right) hip driving the rotation instead of coming from the center of your pelvis as this will tend to swing you towards the ball as opposed to staying the same distance from it
3) Your brain recognizing that the space created at address is disappearing
4) Any combination of all of the above

This is the sort of things that hands on instruction is usually need for since finding the feel that resonates with you to make the necessary changes is tricky. 

In Panel #5 we see the resulting impact position with the steepened shaft and loss of hip depth. This is the classic "goathump" position that is just my favorite thing to animate....😅

HumpLeft.gif.02665a3207eaf1286e9af82d192df5e7.gif

This clearly shows how much higher your hands have come into the ball and how that closely correlates with how much closer your hips have moved towards the ball. If your hips stayed back on that red line and your lead hip was touching it then you would have had the space for the club to naturally come down on plane. 

Trying to hit in socks will likely exacerbate all this as it is impossible to maintain the proper rotational forces with the ground without traction, but this fits with the miss you're describing so i'd imagine your properly shoe-d swing isn't much different. This is why I haven't commented on what appears to be a bit of a slow/stalled weight transfer to your front leg. 

The things to explore with your potential future coach should be;

1) Altering your takeaway path to be steeper to result in more neutral P2 and P4 positions (takeaway and top of the swing respectively)
2) Maintaining hip depth throughout the swing via changes to how you rotate
3) Making sure you're moving and transferring your weight correctly
4) Wearing shoes 😛

Feel free to try some of these things on your own, but if you get frustrated then save it for the coach. 👍

Edited by Valtiel

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 5/18/2021 at 8:15 PM, Valtiel said:

There are a handful of things causing your push issues here, i'll try to break them down:

228727118_ScreenShot2021-05-18at3_04_38PM.png.28c1781485e868292e102af524012710.png

The important lines to focus on here are the ones establishing your shaft plane and hip depth (the line behind your butt). 

Your address position in Panel #1 looks fine, but the first oddities we see in Panel #2 are the club coming back very inside/flat and the head dipping down. We also see a lot more of your lead hip swinging out in front of you and your trail hip not gaining any depth, this will get worse as the swing goes on. 

In Panel #3 at the top of your swing we two main concerns. First, your hands are VERY deep (behind you). This is a position that requires very good lower body rotation to keep the club on plane. The hips need to maintain or increase depth to give deep hands space to get back on plane. Unfortunately the second problem is that you're losing hip depth at this point, and thus is death for a flatter swing. Your right hip should be at or slightly across that red line at the top of the backswing, and you have started coming away from it. 

What we see then in Panel #4 is result of this. As the hips move towards the ball, you are forced to change (steepen) your shaft plane. The red dot in the top right is the location of your hands at the top. The green line extending from it shows roughly the pack your hands would have to follow to get back on plane, and obviously the red line is showing that path they have taken. You have come over the top and started pulling your hands towards the ball instead of dropping down into the "slot". Why this is happening can be a tricky chicken/egg situation, but it is largely a subconscious reaction to the positions you have put your body in. They can be:

1) Your body attempting to balance/center it self in response to your hands initially traveling so far back (behind you) and then forward (towards the ball)
2) A product of your lead (right) hip driving the rotation instead of coming from the center of your pelvis as this will tend to swing you towards the ball as opposed to staying the same distance from it
3) Your brain recognizing that the space created at address is disappearing
4) Any combination of all of the above

This is the sort of things that hands on instruction is usually need for since finding the feel that resonates with you to make the necessary changes is tricky. 

In Panel #5 we see the resulting impact position with the steepened shaft and loss of hip depth. This is the classic "goathump" position that is just my favorite thing to animate....😅

HumpLeft.gif.02665a3207eaf1286e9af82d192df5e7.gif

This clearly shows how much higher your hands have come into the ball and how that closely correlates with how much closer your hips have moved towards the ball. If your hips stayed back on that red line and your lead hip was touching it then you would have had the space for the club to naturally come down on plane. 

Trying to hit in socks will likely exacerbate all thius as it is impossible to maintain the proper rotational forces with the ground without traction, but this fits with the miss your describing so i'd imagine your properly shoe-d swing isn't much different. This is why I haven't commented on what appears to be a bit of a slow/stalled weight transfer to your front leg. 

The things to explore with your potential future coach should be;

1) Altering your takeaway path to be steeper to result in more neutral P2 and P4 positions (takeaway and top of the swing respectively)
2) Maintaining hip depth throughout the swing via changes to how you rotate
3) Making sure you're moving and transferring your weight correctly
4) Wearing shoes 😛

Feel free to try some of these things on your own, but if you get frustrated then save it for the coach. 👍

wow thank you very much for the feedback, I never got the notification from it. but appreciate it. Yes i agree with all those points, have a few drills that i did in the past and will go back to basics with those. have reached out to couple coaches near me but fully booked for few weeks which sucks but suppose its good for the them and the golf industry. 

Thank you once again for the breakdown