2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

someone make me attack the ball from the inside

Medici999

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The right pocket thing is great advice, you should really try it. After looking at your video, you really need to swing a bit flatter. What will feel like a baseball swing to you will probably be a pretty good plane. You may also be surprised with some extra yards as well.

The elbow in the right pocket can be a good swing thought, but it causes some player to drop that right side and slam the club into the ground.

Make sure you understand that your elbow to pocket move is "elbow towards the ball, not straight down to the earth"

In regards to your issue, you aren't that OTT...If you think you are OTT as a result of your ball flight being right-oriented, I'd also consider your release. Are you releasing? I fight with that all the time. Don't hold so tight - this concept cures 90% of swing problems.

Make sure your hands look like this after impact (Brandel Chamblee):

What symptoms are you experiencing with your ball flight that suggests that you are over the top.

There may be a tiny bit of OTT but not enough for you to worry too much - and it certainly wouldn't kill your game. Something must be affecting your game that has you concerned. Swiping as you say, can be a function of an open clubface at impact ...ie your hands and arms have no intention of ever releasing and you are keeping the club from it's natural closing through the hitting zone.

What are you seeing, specifically? Thanks

Lot's of good advice here...I was having problems for awhile myself. The brick/wall,box drill worked for awhile. The thought of hittting the inside part of the ball helped for a while. Stuffing my right elbow helped for a while. What really helped me was when I realized my right shoulder was spinning around on too level of a plane. Practice starting your downswing by moving your right shoulder down plane with your hands moving at the same rate. This gives the same appearance of Hogan drill, but you are initiating the downswing with the right shoulder instead of the left hip. For me starting the downswing with the left hip, left side etc. caused me to spin left, come over the top.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1. Joesgonefishing visual is one of my common drills for path correction.

2. Normal address position, simply drop back foot toe behind front foot heel.

- Start with half swings, gradually lengthening swing.

3. Going back to Joesgonefishing visual, instead of having board parallel to target line, slant to show inside out.

Just a few initial thoughts.

I have always been an OTT swinger, I finally got sick of it and went to a pro for a lesson and tips on how to get rid of it. What really helped me was envisioning the shaft plane and taking the club back above the plane and bringing it down below the plane. This was hard for me to visualize, so we stuck a shaft in the ground at the same angle of my 7 iron at setup 3-4 feet behind the ball. I made some practice swings focusing on bringing the club back above the shaft and down below the shaft. This is similar to the brick in front of the ball deal, but forces you to properly start your swing immediately on the downswing. You would be amazed on how this helps correct almost all the critical positions in the swing. Just my 02, but it really has helped me.

The best way to fix a pull imo is trying to hit a push hook. When i go out and hit balls im trying to hit the ball out to the right . By this i mean when im looking at the ball im thinking of hiting thru the upper right of the ball . So next time you go practice try to hit ever ball out to the right this should eventually make you come from the inside leting your hands release naturally . Of course this takes practice your going to hit bad shots for awhile at first . And it will probaly be awkward but with practice and sticking with it youll be hiting the ball solid right to left probaly with better spin numbers more power and a couple extra yards.

I'm not a big fan of drills that are purely negative reinforcers with no explanation.

When I work with a student on a drill like I recommended there is allot of explanation on why it works....BUT I try and let them discover it themselves while I film them at first. The transformation in just a few swings is pretty impressive.

One of the best ways to learn golf is through exaggeration in that if you are a slicer, trying to hit the biggest hook you can helps demonstrate to yourself what something different feels like.

From there you can "dial" it back and learn the feel of solid swing.

With anything if they player won't practice...he won't get better. I have never seen the board drill fail when used with enough repetition to engrain the feel.

I had a student who had never broken 80 and most rounds were over 90 into the low 100's. I asked him to take two weeks off and work on the board and then come out and play around with me using his "New Swing". He was a very decent putter so I knew we would have some success.

When he came out for his round I told him I'd help him if he got stuck on playing a shot but largely I wanted to play, enjoy his company, and watch this develop.

After some inital nerves and a couple of shaky shots he settled in and carded his lowest round a 77. He has since gone on to lower his handicap from a 16 to 6.

The point is: Practice works, good practice with a plan really makes it REALLY work.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

jim 0068,,do you have a reply? im still struggling.

Sorry, i've been very busy with work.

Anyway...the reason you haven't hit a push-hook in years is because you can't swing inside/out enough to do it and the reason you can't swing inside/out enough is because your clubface is way too open and thus even if you did (which the majority of people are trying to get you to do) you'd either 1) shank it cuz the hosel would be in the way or 2) you'd flip hook it.

you see, about 90-95% of all OTT people swing over the top because they are trying to start the ball left to play some sort of slice. Now you may not even slice it, and if you don't that's fine that doesn't mean you have an open clubface problem, you are just flipping to avoid it.

The reason i know this is because people who don't have open clubface problems and do have OTT problems from time to time will hit push hooks because they can swing inside/out enough because they can control their face enough to do so.

-----------------------

If you do an advanced search for posts made by me in the swing fix section you will find a post i did on people with OTT problems and the breakdowns. Blah, i found it for you: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...amp;hl=clubface

there's the thread. read the threads and my post, fix your open clubface and you'll be able to swing more inside/out becuase you won't fear losing it right.

Wow, the 2x4 drill is amazing! My swing has been absolutly terrible in the couple rounds I have played since the new year. I constantly struggle with coming over the top (among many other things) and the first ball I hit with the board threatening me was the best contact I have made all year. Of course after that I blasted the board a few times, but I'm actually finding my way back to a swing that has me very optimistc about the 2008 season... for now.

Wow, the 2x4 drill is amazing! My swing has been absolutly terrible in the couple rounds I have played since the new year. I constantly struggle with coming over the top (among many other things) and the first ball I hit with the board threatening me was the best contact I have made all year. Of course after that I blasted the board a few times, but I'm actually finding my way back to a swing that has me very optimistc about the 2008 season... for now.

Thats good to hear, I use the board (as mentioned) in all my practice sessions and really have not found anything better.

I hope things keep getting better!

JOe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I always struggle with slight outside/in swinging if I haven't played in a while.

The problem is that when I try to force inside out, I can sometimes drop my club on the inside too steep and bang the ground.

What seems to work for me quite often is something my daughters coach says. Try and feel like you are hitting your ball with your back still at the target.

Why it works: The reason many people come OTT is that their shoulders have early-turned before the club drops from the top, so the club isn't coming down in harmony with the shoulder turn like the way it did on the upswing. If you feel like your back is still at the target through impact (which is nearly impossible to actually do) you will come back down on a better plane. Essentially your shoulders won't get out ahead of you and drag your club OTT.

See if it works for you.

the title and subtitle says it all.

thanks

My Swing

I'm going to give you a great tip. If you want to see what you need to do, go to YouTube and search jritter5. Watch ALL the videos he has on the One Plane Swing. THIS.....will give you the answer. I'd be interested to hear your views after watching all these videos. :coolpics:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

With all that help you should be able to work towards your goal of swinging on plane with a gentle inside out path.

The reason you come down on a plane that is above your take away plane (outside in) is that your shoulders are turning before your hands are dropping. You are just out of sequence. Hit some 50% shots. Keep your back to the target longer (that will keep your shoulders from turning first).

No medication required. Just hard work with a knowledge of "why" things happen the way they do.

Wow...you really SWAY when hitting a golf ball. When you take the club back and sway, you have shifted your weight severely behind the golf ball. Then, you have to shift it all back forward, in which case you lead with your shoulders. This is causing your over the top motion.

You are the classic case for using the Stack & Tilt method. Set up with your weight 70% on your left foot. When, you take the club back, turn your shoulders instead of swaying and hinge your wrists slightly earlier. When you deliver the club back to the ball, visualize the sensation of trapping the ball against the ground and trying to hit a rope hook. Once you get this sensation down, you can exaggerate that move less and less until it becomes a crisp, straight shot for you that is easily repeatable.

I went from a 1 handicap to shooting my last 3 rounds under par with a throw in 64 in the mix since switching to the Stack & Tilt...ummm...I believe the hype. And, I haven't ever struck the ball better. Throw into the mix that I used to fade the ball and now I hit it pretty much dead straight every time.

There isn't one way to hit a golf ball. Everyone's swing is different. The Stack & Tilt is a great philosophy that just might work for this individual. I don't think you can discredit it without ever seeing his swing.

I am not going to argue about this, but I am not contradicting myself. YOU were the one that said right away, "Don't do this." I gave him an alternative...you immediately tried to discredit by saying that it hasn't won a major, so it isn't a viable alternative. If there is anyone in this conversation that is very definitive on things being said, it is you. I am merely offering an alternative that you immediately shot down. Please re-read your own posts.

No, I have not take a lesson from P&B. Nor, have I ever taken a lesson in golf. I can read though. I have read about the fundamentals of the Stack & Tilt and I have incorporated them into my own golf swing and it has worked. I hit the ball right like he did and I also used to sway. Forgive me for seeing parts of my own swing in his and giving him an alternative.

You shouldn't tell anyone not to do something...because, since you haven't eluded to being differently, you are not an accredited teaching professional. So, offer your own advice without discounting others and let it go.

I am done.