Tennis Elbow

On 6/5/2022 at 4:51 PM, 19Putter said:

I will eventually get graphite shafts installed in my irons but am trying to hold off until retirement. I may need to do it much sooner. Thanks for your take. 

Had it for 3 years then a buddy at the club showed me a "stretch" with a golf club. I did everyday hurt like hell, but it has not come back. What did show up about a week ago is "golfers elbow" on the same arm. ugghhh. I do not have a solution for this one yet. If you want me to take a video of the stretch and text it to you. DM me your phone number, I swear it will fox it, if you do it all the time. I had 4 cortizone shots in that elbow for tennis elbow. The first worked great then less and less help with each one.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

1 hour ago, speyfly said:

Try the Reverse Tyler Twist with a theraband.  Also add the regulator Tyler Twist for the tennis elbow as well

I have begun doing that stretch and either that or the heavier dumbbell used for the conventional elbow exercises or both have begun to work. The right elbow feels better. I am winding down my 2022 golf; just one more round next weekend, so plenty of rest and the exercises, including Tyler Twist should work.

2 hours ago, Wardonation said:

Had it for 3 years then a buddy at the club showed me a "stretch" with a golf club. I did everyday hurt like hell, but it has not come back. What did show up about a week ago is "golfers elbow" on the same arm. ugghhh. I do not have a solution for this one yet. If you want me to take a video of the stretch and text it to you. DM me your phone number, I swear it will fox it, if you do it all the time. I had 4 cortizone shots in that elbow for tennis elbow. The first worked great then less and less help with each one.

Thanks but I have a new stretch that I want to try and some strengthening exercises I am doing now. I sought something new and now have about three different approaches I am using. Thank you anyway though.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Someone posted this podcast link on a golfer’s elbow thread today.  I listened to it and found it very enlightening.  Much different from the usual advice. Supposedly the latest thinking on it.  

https://fitforgolf.blog/2022/02/28/dr-keith-baar-golfers-and-tennis-elbow-rehab/

I've begun doing this exercise beginning several days ago. I think it is starting to work but am also using the theraband flexbar, which seems to make my right forearm sore. I may just stick with one exercise, the one you linked.

But, the great news is that I hit 55 balls yesterday hitting two different irons and three graphite shafts and during the session had no pain or discomfort. I bought the Callaway Mavrik irons with a 65 gram Project X Catalyst shaft. I cannot wait to try them out on the course. I hit them about 15 yards longer than my average 7 iron with steel shafts - while having tennis/golfer's elbow.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, bladehunter said:

Graphite shafts.  This really is the ticket.  I can go back to steel and within 10 swings feel the twinges start.  I have none for over a year and A half now with graphite and I was close to surgery.  

theraband- use it daily and before every round 

Just bought new Callaway Mavrik irons with 65g regular Project X Catalyst graphite shafts. Using the theraband daily. Hit 55 balls last night at Golf Galaxy trying out the Mavriks and had no pain. Think graphites are the answer.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, speyfly said:

Try the Reverse Tyler Twist with a theraband.  Also add the regulator Tyler Twist for the tennis elbow as well

So, do you think adding the regular Tyler twist to the reverse Tyler Twist will help with my golfer's elbow? Thought the reverse was for golfer's elbow and the regular was for tennis elbow.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, iGolf67 said:

I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a full glass of water. I switched to graphite shafts on the recommendation of a doctor specializing in sports injuries and have been pain free since. 

When you switched, did you take a break from golf before switching to graphite or have you continuously played golf, switched, and the pain disappeared?

I ask because I have recently had about 5 practice sessions/fitting/demos, so my elbow is irritated. Yesterday's session was with my new graphite shafts. Little discomfort but not as bad as it would be with steel shafts. 

• 4 weeks later...

Battling this for two weeks. Had my friend an acupuncturist do some periosteal dry needling. Sore as heck after (think dead arm) but next day 95% better. Feels great as I type this.

an appropriate soft tissue laser helps big time. 

surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. 

Edited by Mobert19

• 8 months later...

I can speak to this subject based on a fair amount of experience. I started golfing in 2016, picked up tennis elbow within a month due to high practice volumes and (I'm sure) form issues. Tendonitis has persisted all along, at the time of this post I can say that it's the best that it has been, minus a 6 week window in 2021 when when I had cortisone shots in both sides. 

I tried cortisone, as referenced above. It was magic, for about 6 weeks. It came back though.

I tried taking a winter off. It came back as soon as I started golfing again in the spring.

Right now I'd consider it "managed." It doesn't bother me at all on the course anymore, even with a 20-30 full swing warm up prior to my round. It still flares up a bit if my practice sessions get too long due to the frequency of swings/volume in a much shorter period. My limit right now is somewhere around 50 full swings per day per practice session before it starts to bother me. Prior to this, I could practice maybe 20 full swings every other day. 

The first major change that started to help was direct ice daily- I basically massage both sides with an ice cup until it gets numb. This keeps the inflation at bay enough to allow for a reasonable amount of practice.

The second, and most significant difference is that I've been diligent about doing Tyler Twist exercises with a Theraband every single day for the last 6-7 weeks. I am muscular with strong forearms, I did 3 sets of 15 reps with slow controlled negatives with the green band for the first 4 weeks, progressed to the blue band since. I was using ice cups to control the inflammation from both Tyler Twists and golf in the beginning, now I'm throwing on a pair of Freeze Sleeves after my workout and even then I'd say it probably isn't essential at this point.

I'm not sure the exact mechanism by which this is helping- touching the pain point on my elbow it's clear that the tendonitis is still there, it's just that it doesn't bother me swinging a club any more. I'm guessing that there has been enough strengthening of the muscle of the aggravated tendon at this point that swinging a club with reasonable practice and play volumes no longer stresses the tendon.

Good luck to you!