Sand shot simulation turf?

JoeKnine

Hey,

I just got a Garmin R10 and am hitting into a net at home.

I'm using a generic amazon 3x5 ft hitting mat over vinyl plank flooring.

I want to add a 'sand shot' and 'rough' area to hit from. 

I see Golfzongolf.com does a simulated sand shot area on their (fantastic looking) simulators, with what almost looks like an inverted soft-bristle broom head.

I'm thinking I'd add a small patch of each to the end of my current mat, probably glued to a large sheet of material extending under the 3x5 mat to keep them in place.

I don't see anything on amazon or ebay for simulated sand turf.

What are y'all using for sand shot simulation in your set-ups? 

I do see a lot of folks selling "rough turf". What do you like?

Thanks!

I'd be curious about this as well. But frankly I'd suggest you first invest in a better primary mat. Those generic ones are terrible to hit off, and could even invite injuries. 

Upside is you don't actually have to spend a ton. I built a "divot action" mat and it's the best decision I ever made. Hands down the best synthetic surface I've ever used. The quality of its feel is just impossible to describe. Not to mention it still looks brand new after thousands of shots.

Depending on what materials you have on-hand, you can put one together for around $75. 

SE Gamer - I'm planning on upgrading to maybe a TrueStrike, or similar high quality mat at some point, for my regular mat.

I was interested in the Fairway Pro divot simulator at one point, but it looks like those are no longer made.

Maybe I'll try making a DIY version, I see at least one that seems doable on YouTube.

I actually am forming grand plans / delusions on the way I will evolve from my current simple mat and net to a fancy simulator / golf studio.

I scraped a couple pix from a Golfzongolf YouTube of their sand simulator surfaces, to give ya'll some idea of what I'm talking about.

The tan surface simulates soft greenside sand bunkers, the white surface is meant to apparently simulate firmer, fairway sand bunkers.

Golfzongolf mat1.jpeg

Golfzongolf mat2.jpeg

Golfzongolf mat3.jpeg

• Like 1

@JoeKnine glad to hear you're planning an upgrade. If you go the DIY route, you could maybe repurpose your current generic mat. Just use it as a stance portion and build in a hitting strip. 

The pic definitely helps to understand what you're after. Haven't seen anything like that before. But I'd think your suspicion is correct. In that it's gotta be similar to an upturned broom head. Some trial and error and you might be able to replicate something close to it. 

The image piqued my curiosity. As I've got a set of brush attachments for my drill, of carrying stiffnesses. Use them for cleaning up the occasional dog or child mess (as you can see from the dog hair in the pic, lol). So I went out to the shop and grabbed the softest one I have. Situated it next to my divot action hitting strip and took a couple of shots.

Was kind of surprised that it sort of feels and behaves like a bunker shot. Although it does seem like it's a more forgiving than sand. Feeling more confident now that you could figure it out with a little ingenuity. Even though this was my softest one, the ball doesn't really sit "down" at all. But it seems fairly close to the white version in your images. Doing a bit of googling and "car wash" brushes might be worth looking into. 

On a related note, if you're interested in more details re: my own divot action hitting strip, I'd be happy to go into more depth on the build. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 1.36.04 AM.png

Hey SE Gamer,

That drill scrubber looks close, except as you say, bristles a bit too stiff and size.

You know, a large car wash type brush was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw the Golfzongolf set up, also.

I may try something like the following from Youtube, with regard to fairway area. Right, keep my current mat for a stance area.

If your build is different, sure, I'd love to know the details.

Thanks!

Youtube "How to DIY divot simulating insert for indoor golf simulator + GIVEAWAY", if link doesn't take

On 7/11/2022 at 10:12 PM, JoeKnine said:

Hey SE Gamer,

That drill scrubber looks close, except as you say, bristles a bit too stiff and size.

You know, a large car wash type brush was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw the Golfzongolf set up, also.

I may try something like the following from Youtube, with regard to fairway area. Right, keep my current mat for a stance area.

If your build is different, sure, I'd love to know the details.

Thanks!

Youtube "How to DIY divot simulating insert for indoor golf simulator + GIVEAWAY", if link doesn't take

My build, at its core, is basically that. Except I used 3/4 melamine for a base. Attached putting turf to it with a crown stapler (for the stance portion of the mat).

For the hitting strip, I used the same putting turf. But adhered it to a thin sheet of Lexan (12" x 24", and 1/8' thick). Made sure to use the best construction adhesive I could find (Liquid Nails Fuze It Max). Which I believe is critical to how well it will hold up. 

I did the same thing in the video and used 3 strips of open cell foam. But, not all strips are created equal. The first I tried was nice, but seemed a little too stiff. The second type I tried was a real winner (air conditioner foam insulating gap blocker). It has absolutely the perfect amount of "give". 

To attach the hitting strip, I didn't use stiff foam at each end. Instead drilled a few holes about a half-inch from each side of the Lexan sheet. Then used some truss head screws and rubber washers to secure it straight to the melamine. To do this I had to cut out a portion in the middle of the melamine to accommodate the strip. Cut the hole slightly oversized in width, and slightly undersized in length. This way you've got enough "meat" to sink the screws. But enough of a gap that the sheet can flex freely.

If you go this same general route. Make sure when you bond the turf to the lexan that you don't run the adhesive all the way to the edge of each long end. As you need enough room to drive the fastener in. 

I've probably got close to 5,000 shots through the strip and it still looks brand new. And the turf I bought was nothing super special. Got it from Lowes (SYNLawn multi-use). And have 13 feet of it left over for future replacement strips. But that may be a long ways out based on how well it's held up. 

I've attached some pics for reference. You'll notice I built it in two pieces. One is the stance mat, the other houses the hitting strip. I did this for ease of breaking it down and storing it out of the way. I also included a gif of how it reacts at impact. 

Let me know if you want any more specifics or have questions. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.22.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.22.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.23.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.23.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.24.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 1.24.46 AM.png

56 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Well that was easy, lol. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

If your order it come back and post how it works I’d like to know I bought a nice Mat off Amazon for 175 it’s really reliable. And until I find a company that sells turf wholesale around me in Michigan it’ll do the trick.

Edited by GirlDadGolfer0204

GDG0204 - Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! Ordered one. Est shipping about a month.

SE Gamer- Slick build.

I'm pretty lazy, but with the fancy name brand mats costing $500 to $1K+, I may try something like your set up, thanks for posting the detailed instructions and pix! Seems do-able.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, JoeKnine said:

GDG0204 - Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! Ordered one. Est shipping about a month.

SE Gamer- Slick build.

I'm pretty lazy, but with the fancy name brand mats costing $500 to $1K+, I may try something like your set up, thanks for posting the detailed instructions and pix! Seems do-able.

Will be eager to hear your impression of the sand turf! If you dive into your own mat and have questions, let me know.

Depending on what you have on-hand, you can get into one for less than $100 bucks. I've hit off of plenty of high-end mats (True Strike, CC elite, Fiberbuilt, etc.). And I can say that none of those feel as good as a divot action mat. There is a company (Gung Ho golf IIRC) that basically makes the same hitting strip. So I'd imagine theirs is at the top of the list of OEM mats if you wanted to spend a little more in favor of skipping the DIY build.

Yea mines just a country true feel or something like that it came with a ball corral it’s nice and thick, and if you hit it fat the fibers definitely slow the club head down and it’s been easy on my Wrist, shoulders and all that so far but I’m also excited to know how it goes I just got a little set up. I think ima sell my Mevo plus and keep the Garmin r10 so far indoors it’s not as accurate but I’ve only tinkered with it. Sucks tho cause I bought them prov1 rct balls and they don’t work with the r10. But no biggie I always grab balls off the course and clean them so I got 100s of nice balls for my sim. I’m still a beginner in golf so I’m not too concerned about the ball I play. I’ve gone from prov1 left dash all they way to callaway warbird “which flie a mile off the driver” right now I’m liking the raw faced balls so the Wilson triad raw or the maxfli tour x raw. They get beat up easier but for some reason I just love them so much! Anyway let me get off my tangent. Let me know how the sand insert goes. And what type of sim are you using?

• 1 year later...

Jumping in here late, but I found a good sand chipping mat to use with my simulator when needed.  Its just like the Golfzon mat that you posted above with two different sand surfaces - one for fairway bunkers and one for greenside bunkers.  It portable so you can just grab it when you have a sand shot.  I probably have about 100 shots out of it so far and its been durable and the green side bunker bristles feel really authentic for a sand shot.  Ships fast too.  I think I got it about 3 days after ordering

https://truebirdie.com/products/simulated-sand-chipping-mat-for-golf-simulator-or-bunker-chipping-practice

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustSendIt said:

Jumping in here late, but I found a good sand chipping mat to use with my simulator when needed.  Its just like the Golfzon mat that you posted above with two different sand surfaces - one for fairway bunkers and one for greenside bunkers.  It portable so you can just grab it when you have a sand shot.  I probably have about 100 shots out of it so far and its been durable and the green side bunker bristles feel really authentic for a sand shot.  Ships fast too.  I think I got it about 3 days after ordering

https://truebirdie.com/products/simulated-sand-chipping-mat-for-golf-simulator-or-bunker-chipping-practice

I was on the hunt for something to practice my bunker shots at the house. Have you played on a course since using it? Does it translate well?

Yes, I've played a bunch of rounds on the sim and the course since.  I think the greenside bunker bristles (brown) translate really well and simulate sand great.  The ball sinks down quite a bit and the bristles slow the club head down just like sand would when chipping the ball out.  The fairway bunker bristles (white) simulate a very well groomed bunker - the ball basically sits on top of these bristles, but you can hit under the ball so it works too.  I tend to use the brown bristles most of the time no matter what type of bunker they go into.

• Like 1