2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Superstroke has purchased Lamkin........

• Sad 1

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I have only used Lamkin grips for the past 30 years.  I hope this acquisition doesn't change the quality and innovation of what Lamkin produces.  I love the Sonar line of grips.

• Like 2

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

As far as I can tell, superstroke is really only known for putter grips.  Hopefully they just saw this as an opportunity to bring in the Lamkin brand and grab a bigger piece of the full swing grip market.  I think it would be a mistake for them to just take all of the intellectual property and gut Lamkin.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Posted (edited)

I've switched from Golf Pride MCCs to Lamkin Crossline Oversize over 10 years ago and never looked back.  I hope Superstroke does not screw around with the original formulation and production of those grips.  I remember hearing stories of the current Project X shafts weren't the same as the originals before TT bought them.  Most likely because TT didn't use the original machines to make them.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Ugh I love my deep etch full cord. Hopefully superstroke won’t ruin it or I’ll have to start my search all over again for  the perfect putter grip.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I'm right there with those that hope they don't mess up a good thing.  I've been using Lamkin grips since I've started playing golf in 2008, and don't want to use anything else.  I'm currently using Lamkin Crossline Cords and don't want to change from them.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

After 25 years of Lamkin grips, I just bought some Star grips to try and I like them a lot. My Spidey sense must be working.

Titleist TSI3 10° @ D1- Tour AD XC6 SR                                                    
Titleist TSI3 4 wood - 16.5° @A1 - Tour AD XC6 S

Srixon ZF85 7 wood - 21° - Tour AD TP6 SR

Srixon ZX 4 Hybrid - 22° - Diamana ZX 50 R

Srixon ZU 85 23° - Aldila NV 85 S

Honma TW747 Vx 5-10 - Vizard IB WF 85 S

Vokey SM8 50°-10 F Grind - Nippon 950 GH Neo S
Vokey SM8 56°-8 M Grind - Nippon 950 GH Neo S

Cleveland Classic 4 @ 32.5" Lamkin Deep Etched Paddle Putter

...and a host of others from time to time.

2 hours ago, cgasucks said:

I remember hearing stories of the current Project X shafts weren't the same as the originals before TT bought them.  Most likely because TT didn't use the original machines to make them.

If you believe the stories that came out after the acquisition, the old Royal Precision manufacturing processes were a gong show and they had a LOT of rejects. Presumably when TT took them over they tried to retain as much of the original design/feel but with a better manufacturing process.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Posted (edited)

I'd be shocked if there wasn't some change to the Lamkin parts with this change. 

If Lamkin was extremely profitable after all these years, they wouldn't be selling the business.

The move doesn't really horizontally expand Superstroke's catalogue or open any new markets.

To me - this seems like a margin play - which would likely come with change in manufacturing thereby changing the Lamkin products in some way.

All speculation obviously, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping nothing changes.

Edited by MysteryV
  • Like 2

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Let's take a less doom and gloom look at this. Ideally the easiest move is for SuperStroke to slap their name on current Lamkin grips and call it a day, their place in the grip game is now closer to Golf Pride on full swing and they gain a few extra on putter side too. One thing that SS does like is colors/variety so could maybe see new sizes in some grips, new colors that were not available before cause have to chip away at the Golf Pride MCC options. 

Another thing to look at is the Lamkin putter line what's happening with that? I'm sure some are going to sent to the graveyard mainly the Polyurethane grips but I'm sure a few may find their way over to an updated SuperStroke style grip with the Lamkin shape. The rubber grips that are well loved I could see stay, it's a segment SS doesn't have and can just call it the Heritage line or similar, no reason to axe those cause they'll just lose those players to Golf Pride or others which I'm sure they don't want. 

But this is just some random thoughts on my end, obviously SuperStroke is lacking on full swing side for grips and Lamkin is known for that so bring it together, a few other changes and you have a bigger company. At the same time Lamkin could still exists as something like Lamkin by SuperStroke and nothing else happens. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

5 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Let's take a less doom and gloom look at this. Ideally the easiest move is for SuperStroke to slap their name on current Lamkin grips and call it a day, their place in the grip game is now closer to Golf Pride on full swing and they gain a few extra on putter side too. One thing that SS does like is colors/variety so could maybe see new sizes in some grips, new colors that were not available before cause have to chip away at the Golf Pride MCC options. 

Another thing to look at is the Lamkin putter line what's happening with that? I'm sure some are going to sent to the graveyard mainly the Polyurethane grips but I'm sure a few may find their way over to an updated SuperStroke style grip with the Lamkin shape. The rubber grips that are well loved I could see stay, it's a segment SS doesn't have and can just call it the Heritage line or similar, no reason to axe those cause they'll just lose those players to Golf Pride or others which I'm sure they don't want. 

But this is just some random thoughts on my end, obviously SuperStroke is lacking on full swing side for grips and Lamkin is known for that so bring it together, a few other changes and you have a bigger company. At the same time Lamkin could still exists as something like Lamkin by SuperStroke and nothing else happens. 

Yup, I agree with this.  SuperStroke is a very strong brand name in golf, that makes subpar swinging grips but excellent and popular putter grips.  Lamkin is second fiddle to GolfPride, but still makes excellent swinging grips and subpar putting grips.  Seems like a match made in heaven to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

5 minutes ago, SheriffBooth said:

Yup, I agree with this.  SuperStroke is a very strong brand name in golf, that makes subpar swinging grips but excellent and popular putter grips.  Lamkin is second fiddle to GolfPride, but still makes excellent swinging grips and subpar putting grips.  Seems like a match made in heaven to me.

Exactly there is zero reason to buy and dissolve a company and be in a worse spot since many pros would jump brands to competitors. I know people will go and say well what about when TM bought Adams or Cleveland buying Never Compromise, they just wanted tech and patents for that. 

My wishful thinking as someone who doesn't use either is it elevates both brands to a new level in the golf game and the consumers benefit from it too. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Hopefully nothing really changes on the consumer side or I may need to start a Crossline stockpile, especially the midsize cord.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - Atmos TS Red 8S

Bridgestone J33 CB 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

With their price increases, Lamkin has pretty much lost me as a customer over the past several years. Global rubber prices do NOT track with their (and Golf Pride's) increases in price. Tire prices do not track this either, so it's not due to raw material cost. Good product (I was a very long time Crossline user), but they have lost the value proposition for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

With their price increases, Lamkin has pretty much lost me as a customer over the past several years. Global rubber prices do NOT track with their (and Golf Pride's) increases in price. Tire prices do not track this either, so it's not due to raw material cost. Good product (I was a very long time Crossline user), but they have lost the value proposition for me. 

almost like raw material isn’t the only thing needed to make a grip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, MysteryV said:

I'd be shocked if there wasn't some change to the Lamkin parts with this change. 

If Lamkin was extremely profitable after all these years, they wouldn't be selling the business.

The move doesn't really horizontally expand Superstroke's catalogue or open any new markets.

To me - this seems like a margin play - which would likely come with change in manufacturing thereby changing the Lamkin products in some way.

All speculation obviously, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping nothing changes.

Pretty big assumption on the reason for the sale. It’s a family held company. Maybe the family just wants to cash out? Happens all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Transport/shipping costs and labor costs are up significantly, as are interest rates (cost of borrowing). There's your price increases.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

6 hours ago, SheriffBooth said:

Excellent observation!  Mr Sheffif, based on this contribution, you deserve an extra helping of mustache wax.  Please tell management that I've bequeathed this royalty on yee!  Please carry on...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

4 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

So which brand-model grips do you now buy?

Posted (edited)

The genesis material putter and full swing grips are so good, like I’ve used mine for a year now in a wet and humid country, I have never cleaned them, and they still feel very grippy. (I play about 2 rounds a week, practice everyday)

I am wishing and praying so hard genesis works into genesis works or at least they keep the original formulation in the lamkin grips, the durability is so good, Superstroke breaks down soooo fast….

Edited by metaldog

1 hour ago, Amarsuperstar said:

Pretty big assumption on the reason for the sale. It’s a family held company. Maybe the family just wants to cash out? Happens all the time. 

Yup.  Just to drive the point home, I even went as far as writing "All speculation obviously."

That said - people do not sell the family business after 99 years because it's extremely profitable.  That absolutely does NOT happen "all the time".  False.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

9 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Yup.  Just to drive the point home, I even went as far as writing "All speculation obviously."

That said - people do not sell the family business after 99 years because it's extremely profitable.  That absolutely does NOT happen "all the time".  False.

Yeah the entire $700 billion private equity market is based entirely on unprofitable companies. 

2 hours ago, Amarsuperstar said:

Yeah the entire $700 billion private equity market is based entirely on unprofitable companies. 

Nobody said it was.  I certainly didn't write anything remotely close to that.  You seem to be directing your sarcasm at a premise you made up.  Bold strategy Cotton.  

Scotty Cameron T22 FB