2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

1k black with more feel?

Hello. 

Bought a TSR with 1k Black 60 stiff and while it performce pretty well I would like some more feel and maybe a touch more launch and spin, something that turns over a smidge more. 

Im slightly below 110mph, some days over and some under. Pretty smooth transition.

I have the Linq M40x in the 7 wood and it feels good but wasnt ecstatic over it in the driver, much better than Kaili white tho which felt dead. Smoke black feels softer but dead. 

I have the Speeder 665 in a 5 wood with a whippy tip and it feels great in the wood, almost like a whip or sling but not sure if it would feel good in a driver where I swing more all out. 

Ive been looking at aftermarket options like Tour AD UB/VF/GT or Ventus blue/black in 5s/5x. 

Any advice where to start?

I found an outdoor fitting area but they are a heavy Cobra supplier which means they have ”all the shafts” for Cobra, so I cant try it in the gamer and have to go on feel/strike location?

Is this fine to do or am I shooting myself in the foot? Ventus seems so universal, people just putting it in all their heads. 

thanks

I think 1K White could be a good fit

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

37 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Ventus Blue TR 6S

Agreed.

Or Original Ventus Blue 6x 👍🏼

( No experience with the latest release, but I’m sure it’s awesome too )

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

The tensei 1K series and ventus TR series are the best in terms of having the least hoop deformation in the butt section of the shaft.

So if want to keep that stability you have in 1K black you can try 1K orange or white.

Dont be discouraged from orange being labelled as "counterbalanced" becasue it really aint. The orange has the same balance point as TR blue and TR black. 

12 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

The tensei 1K series and ventus TR series are the best in terms of having the least hoop deformation in the butt section of the shaft.

So if want to keep that stability you have in 1K black you can try 1K orange or white.

Dont be discouraged from orange being labelled as "counterbalanced" becasue it really aint. The orange has the same balance point as TR blue and TR black. 

what is hoop deformation?

I like the stability in 1k black but wouldnt mind to feel more loading. 

For me it feels like 1k is softest somewhere in the middle. If I could I would put it more towards the hands so I dont have to go for the swing to actually feel it since Im smooth. 

For irons I like a bit softer tip like Tour lite X, but things like DG/LZ and $ taper when Im swinging good gives great numbers. Its just more effortless with Tours. 

The AV Raw white will launch a tad higher & spin a tad more & can be found cheap too.

The Diamana ZF is probably the smoothest shaft I’ve ever played & goes too although be it a touch higher than the AV white but is very stable with high draws & low spin netting big drives. Still not too cheap but a solid choice. 
If you can find a Tensei CK Pro Blue, it’s a killer shaft that’s very similar to the ZF in flight & spin, also with awesome feel.

It definitely flys straighter than the ZF, not by much though where the ZF will tend to hit high, baby draws, the CK Pro blue will fly dead straight & can be easily worked both ways, it still fetches good money so not the cheapest but a great 2016 shaft that still delivers. 
The 1K Black is a great shaft but for me it flew a bit low & faded most times , I love to see high draws & high straight shots. 

39 minutes ago, Fubuman said:

The AV Raw white will launch a tad higher & spin a tad more & can be found cheap too.

The Diamana ZF is probably the smoothest shaft I’ve ever played & goes too although be it a touch higher than the AV white but is very stable with high draws & low spin netting big drives. Still not too cheap but a solid choice. 
If you can find a Tensei CK Pro Blue, it’s a killer shaft that’s very similar to the ZF in flight & spin, also with awesome feel.

It definitely flys straighter than the ZF, not by much though where the ZF will tend to hit high, baby draws, the CK Pro blue will fly dead straight & can be easily worked both ways, it still fetches good money so not the cheapest but a great 2016 shaft that still delivers. 
The 1K Black is a great shaft but for me it flew a bit low & faded most times , I love to see high draws & high straight shots. 

Diamana GT seems to be the upgrade and a blend of white and blue profile. Sounds interesting.

54 minutes ago, Brokensticks said:

For me it feels like 1k is softest somewhere in the middle. If I could I would put it more towards the hands so I dont have to go for the swing to actually feel it since Im smooth. 

For irons I like a bit softer tip like Tour lite X, but things like DG/LZ and $ taper when Im swinging good gives great numbers. Its just more effortless with Tours. 

Essentially hoop deformation happens on all shafts on the butt end where the walls are its thinnest. Carbon weaving like the ventus TR tow fabric and the tensei 1k carbon weave reduce deformation during load to have more consistent energy release.

It is supposed to stiff in the handle cause of that and thus you feel its softest side right after the handle like all shafts. Some are less prominent than others. If you like a more handle soft shafts you should look elsewhere as the 1K series are handle stiff.

Some of GD shaft are less handle stiff than the 1K and have a smoother feel. I was just suggesting something similar to the 1K black as its unique with that carbon weave in the handle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brokensticks said:

Gen 4 HZRDUS Black is a likely and economical option.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Brokensticks said:

If you want a softer butt feel but still plenty of stability, at least compared to 1k Black, try the Diamana PD. Tensei 1k White will have the same butt and mid section as 1k black but has a softer tip

otherwise for a soft butt section with the feel of loading the shaft try Ventus TR Blue

Im 113 with driver and had 1k black 65x and loved the results but agreed it had no feel at all and was pretty stiff

Edited by JoeFrigo

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

1 hour ago, Brokensticks said:

Diamana GT seems to be the upgrade and a blend of white and blue profile. Sounds interesting.

Oh it is a great shaft & almost identical to the ZF except that it feels a bit tighter in the middle which keeps it straighter than the ZF. 
I tried it recently but really not gonna spend that amount when I hit the ZF so well. 

I have that Black shaft too, it has a stiff butt and stiff tip, so does Velo TR Black, only stiffer.  I play TR Blue, and it has a stiff handle and ultra-stiff tip like TR Black.  

Consider shafts with a softer handle, and moderate tip, or in colors it would be "blue" or like the old Diamana Whiteboard, Motore X, the new Ventus Blue, and HZRDUS CB Smoke Blue.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Posted (edited)

Diamana PD would be exactly what you're looking for.  Tip and mid stiff with a softer handle with enough feel.  However, you want slightly more launch and spin so my recommendation would be the AD VF or XC.  Really depends on how soft you want to go with the handle.  Similar EI profile to the 1K Black but much smoother with slightly higher launch and similar spin. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Went to a studio today where they were suppose to have a good deal of this, asked a few weeks ago. They didnt have much and no fiddling around with close options and some in odd...

I tried Ventus Red and Blue in 6S, playing 45". Red moved abit much left, blue TR felt good. Curious about 5S, but they didnt have that...

GD Tour ad IZ 6S, it was really nice to swing this shaft. Straight but got some more spin, not spin I need. 

AD VF 6x played 43.5"(?), this was the only one they have even thou stating they "have the new VF"... Alot of feel just whiggle it around, almost like it stiffen up when I swing it. Really low launch and spin but again it was a 6X but that thing was straight. 

After this I feel like a used Ventus blue is the only right move, dont seem to be able to get my hands on someone who has alot of shafts...

I got the Tensei Blue as it was stock with a Titleist 5 wood - and didn't think much of the feel either - swapped out for a Kai'Li Blue and completely transformed feel.

I've always loved the Diamana Blueboard, and ZF, so more recently have the Kai'Li Blue in one driver and the Kai'Li White in another driver (same head) - both feel fabulous, the Kai'Li design gives you more Blueboard feel in all 3 of the blue, white and red versions - which is ideal for me (also tried the red in a a 7 wood).

The Kai'Li white is how it says for whiteboard performance - so lower launch and spin yet still feels very, very close to a blue iwht both a lively yet stable feel.

• Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

On 5/8/2024 at 7:27 PM, GDB67 said:

NV green 2kxv 

basically free when you buy a family pack of Kellogg popTarts 

but that dog can still hunt. 

Right, I’m actually pretty sure the 1K black is a “modified tensei AV white” from what I’ve read online (sorry I can’t remember source). So basically the AV white shafts have historically been Aldila NV green profiles, whereas 1K white/CK white are more traditional linear white boards. 

I think what happened with 1K black was mitsubishi took an AV white shaft and injected a certain amount of 1K weave into the handle section. So it’s closest relative would not be 1K white even though they’re in the same family. 

I’ve been in same boat as OP (and others) where the 1K black gives me solid numbers (very efficient smash, keeps spin down in my TSR2), but I don’t enjoy how firm it feels and I could still stand to launch it higher myself. 
Somebody also shouted out the graphite design xc as a good alternative in the thread, I would agree with that. I currently own a few driver shafts and I’ve found the Speeder Evo VI to be a good one that keeps spin down and launches ball higher. It and graphite design XC are similar profiles, both will have softer mid sections than 1K black. I think the firm midsection and 1K injection in handle is what makes the black feel so dead.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Speeder Evo VI 661 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

I just went through shaft testing and probably will keep doing so 🙂

The 1K Black is great feel for me.  In a TSR4 head and loving it - long story but I went from TSR4 back to TSR4....

I have a GD XC that has more feel, but my aggressive swing lets me think it is too lose.  If you have a smooth 110 SS you might want to try that shaft.  It was that or VF originally in my 3D head but on trackman the XC was better.

Edited by Wardman

Tensei 1K Black S shaft TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

On 5/13/2024 at 7:59 AM, mattman said:

Right, I’m actually pretty sure the 1K black is a “modified tensei AV white” from what I’ve read online (sorry I can’t remember source). So basically the AV white shafts have historically been Aldila NV green profiles, whereas 1K white/CK white are more traditional linear white boards. 

I think what happened with 1K black was mitsubishi took an AV white shaft and injected a certain amount of 1K weave into the handle section. So it’s closest relative would not be 1K white even though they’re in the same family. 

I’ve been in same boat as OP (and others) where the 1K black gives me solid numbers (very efficient smash, keeps spin down in my TSR2), but I don’t enjoy how firm it feels and I could still stand to launch it higher myself. 
Somebody also shouted out the graphite design xc as a good alternative in the thread, I would agree with that. I currently own a few driver shafts and I’ve found the Speeder Evo VI to be a good one that keeps spin down and launches ball higher. It and graphite design XC are similar profiles, both will have softer mid sections than 1K black. I think the firm midsection and 1K injection in handle is what makes the black feel so dead.

1K white is nothing like the 1K black.  1K black plays like the TR Black but lacks feel.  1K black has a very stiff tip and mid with a softer handle while the 1K white has a softer tip and handle with a stiff mid.  1K white is smooth, 1K black feels more like rebar, IMO.  1K black is super low/low while 1K white is mid-low/low. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

1K white is nothing like the 1K black.  1K black plays like the TR Black but lacks feel.  1K black has a very stiff tip and mid with a softer handle while the 1K white has a softer tip and handle with a stiff mid.  1K white is smooth, 1K black feels more like rebar, IMO.  1K black is super low/low while 1K white is mid-low/low. 

Im confused why I was quoted as this reads like you’re refuting something I said?

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Anser 2

the tour ad vf snaps like a viper with crisp feeling at impact. it feels much better too like more elasticy than tensei 1k black. 1k black feels a bit less high quality.

Qi10 ls 7.5*: Tour Ad VF 6 TX

Tsr3 15*: Tensei AV RAW White 85 TX

P-udi 20*: Recoil Dart f5

Titleist 620 mb: DG x100 tour issue

2020 Scotty cameron S.S. Newport 2

Humbled by the game of golf.

1 hour ago, mattman said:

Im confused why I was quoted as this reads like you’re refuting something I said?

I reread your post more thoroughly and initially thought that you said that the 1K black's closest relative is the 1K white when you clearly wrote that it's not.  That my friend is my bad so I apologize.  Carry on. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gbang15 said:

the tour ad vf snaps like a viper with crisp feeling at impact. it feels much better too like more elasticy than tensei 1k black. 1k black feels a bit less high quality.

1K black lacks MR70 and boron if I remember correctly which makes it lack feel, IMO.  VF has MX40 and T1100 and is 50t.  Perhaps it has to do with the combo of those materials that makes it feel smooth.  PX T1100 obviously has T1100 but lacks feel, IMO.  Platinum speeder is 90t and has T1100 and feels super smooth.  Maybe higher ton shafts contribute to the smoothness of a shaft?  

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

1K black lacks MR70 and boron if I remember correctly which makes it lack feel, IMO.  VF has MX40 and T1100 and is 50t.  Perhaps it has to do with the combo of those materials that makes it feel smooth.  PX T1100 obviously has T1100 but lacks feel, IMO.  Platinum speeder is 90t and has T1100 and feels super smooth.  Maybe higher ton shafts contribute to the smoothness of a shaft?  

it feels higher quality than any mitsubishi shaft i've tried. Im very pleased with the quality. The Tensei 1k Pro line rivals the high quality feel. The VF feels like a whip and is crisp at contact

Qi10 ls 7.5*: Tour Ad VF 6 TX

Tsr3 15*: Tensei AV RAW White 85 TX

P-udi 20*: Recoil Dart f5

Titleist 620 mb: DG x100 tour issue

2020 Scotty cameron S.S. Newport 2

Humbled by the game of golf.

13 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I reread your post more thoroughly and initially thought that you said that the 1K black's closest relative is the 1K white when you clearly wrote that it's not.  That my friend is my bad so I apologize.  Carry on. 

Ok all good, thanks for clearing that up!

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Anser 2