2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Returning to the game

Hey everyone! I'm a returning golfer, looking to get back to my old game. I played growing up and was a varsity golfer in high school. I played through my 20s, but stopped once I had kids. My kids started showing some interest a couple years ago, so I took them out for 9 holes near the end of summer a couple years ago, then took them to the range and for 9 holes a couple times last year. This year, they are both playing in a 9 hole league once a week, so now is the time for me to get going too. My wife suggested we play regularly and get my dad out too (he's in 2 senior leagues as it is). Anyway, we went out for 9 holes 2 weeks ago, and are playing again tomorrow night. I realize I missed it a lot! And I've lost distance (about 10 yards across the board). My swing has probably slowed down a bit as it hasn't been used.

Anyway, pulled out the old sticks and my dad gave me one of his not used drivers (a TaylorMade something) to replace my Titleist 975J. My clubs are all in the 15+ year old range at this point, and I know I could gain distance with new ones. So I've been shopping the classifieds section here. Of the 3 sets of irons I still own, I've been playing the Hogan Apex Plus irons. I have an old set of Callaway X-12 Pro Set too, but they are just so big. I like the smaller head and always have. So I'm looking for something similar with newer technology and the stronger lofts of newer clubs. 3 wood is a Callaway Steelhead III. And you guys will all laugh at my putter, but it still works! MacGregor Response. I'll post pictures if people want to see.

Anyway, I do have a question. What would be best use of my money right now? New (to me) irons? New 3 wood and/or hybrid? Some tech, like a range finder or launch monitor for practice? I've been thinking the launch monitor as I can set up a net and hit at home and through the winter too. That would be a big benefit.

Looking forward to hanging out here!

Welcome aboard. This is the best golf forum and you can find anything golf related here - including really helpful advice from experts in the field and snarky comments from idiots so don''t let that affect you.

As far as your question, you'll get several answers from members here and it will be a decision you'll need to make based upon budget. My recommendation would be to look on the BST forum here (Buy - Sell - Trade) for clubs, but you're more likely to find what you need on eBay. I'd suggest looking at clubs that were released a couple of cycles ago like Ping G400 or even G30 as they are very reasonable. They're not small blades however, but there are probably other clubs in that profile that are a few years old. You just need to do some research and go into a golf store where you can put hands on a certain brand to see what fits your swing.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

10 hours ago, RSinSG said:

Welcome aboard. This is the best golf forum and you can find anything golf related here - including really helpful advice from experts in the field and snarky comments from idiots so don''t let that affect you.

As far as your question, you'll get several answers from members here and it will be a decision you'll need to make based upon budget. My recommendation would be to look on the BST forum here (Buy - Sell - Trade) for clubs, but you're more likely to find what you need on eBay. I'd suggest looking at clubs that were released a couple of cycles ago like Ping G400 or even G30 as they are very reasonable. They're not small blades however, but there are probably other clubs in that profile that are a few years old. You just need to do some research and go into a golf store where you can put hands on a certain brand to see what fits your swing.

Thanks for the reply, good info. I’m planning on a set of irons, I just have to look around a bit. I have looked at eBay a bit and definitely checking out the BST forum too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man - right here w/ you, just posted my intro. FWIW, I thought irons were the (re)start for a combo of reasons. Primarily b/c they're the section to build around, IMO... and they've also prob seen the most tech and style growth/ advances. Check the LOFTS!! I Initially bought a used set of i210 Power Specs from Global Golf for about $600, then I got the "Sorry, out of stock" e-mail the next day. So I jumped into some new PXG's on their Lucky 7 promotion. I may have reached over my playing level by going 0311-P after most of 10 years out, but they've got some killer deals right now. The 0211 XCOR2 looked like a great "I know what I''m doing... just haven't done it for awhile" set. Plenty of ~quality used out there at good/ fair prices, but the peace of mind w/ new (and some frustration about out of stock) won me over w/ PXG. 

Epic Max LS (HZRDUS HC Red) // PXG Gen5 (HZRDUS HC Yellow)

Epic Flash 14* (HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX)

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

Apex21 5-7, Apex Pro 8-GW

PING Glide 3.0 54/ 58 (Eye2) // TM Hi-Toe 54/ 58

Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11 // PING Karsten B60

ALWAYS, ALL WHITE FOOTJOYS 

16 hours ago, el_caporal said:

Hey man - right here w/ you, just posted my intro. FWIW, I thought irons were the (re)start for a combo of reasons. Primarily b/c they're the section to build around, IMO... and they've also prob seen the most tech and style growth/ advances. Check the LOFTS!! I Initially bought a used set of i210 Power Specs from Global Golf for about $600, then I got the "Sorry, out of stock" e-mail the next day. So I jumped into some new PXG's on their Lucky 7 promotion. I may have reached over my playing level by going 0311-P after most of 10 years out, but they've got some killer deals right now. The 0211 XCOR2 looked like a great "I know what I''m doing... just haven't done it for awhile" set. Plenty of ~quality used out there at good/ fair prices, but the peace of mind w/ new (and some frustration about out of stock) won me over w/ PXG. 

Hey! Funny enough, those were my same thoughts about irons. The tech and lofts have changed. My dad mentioned that too, getting new irons would immediately gain me some distance. 

Here’s the funnier part. I had looked through reviews for the last several years to narrow down what I wanted to look at. I watched the buy, sell, trade forum here, Callaway’s used clubs, eBay, and some used club shops. I wound up buying a set of PXG 0211 from a member here. Good deal as he had them reshafted and gripped. Pricing them out new from PXG was twice what I paid for them, so I am happy with that! Now I need to fill in the gap wedge due to those lofts!

Thanks for the reply! Hope you enjoy coming back to golf as I have!

• Like 1