Vegas options and opinions

paralyzed

On 12/7/2022 at 7:02 PM, paralyzed said:

Post-trip notes if anyone cares (or for the future me when i forget):

Dear Diary,

October 23: Rio Secco (double down deal with Cascata)

Facility was nice, course was EMPTY, houses that lined the course even EMPTIER (but $$$), clubhouse was mostly empty other than some guys with a toilet shaped cake or something like that.   Greens were fuzzy, but the rest of the conditions were decent.   IMO they could have waited a bit before opening back up but it was a nice round and a seemingly empty course.   (apparently sunday afternoons/evenings people wont be at the clubhouse as it's not open for dining etc).  Food was solid, round drinks were pricy (relative to others)

October 24: Paiute Wolf morning, Snow afternoon - golfapalooza

Windy, a bit cold/brisk, did i mention windy?   breakfast sandwich on the go, solid.  Courses were in great shape and greens were fantastic.  Wind moved putts considerably and was hard to adapt initially from the Rio greens.  Wolf was cool overall and a fun round with grasshoppers EVERYWHERE.  like starship troopers, without the denise richards part, walking/driving the cart, etc. 

Ate at the break, and the food was solid, got a voucher for lunch and a beverage but timing was tight due to schedule (sunlight)

Afternoon: Snow was good, similar to Wolf, but weather was much calmer, warmer/less windy/etc.  i feel like temps were in the low 60s but felt much worse in the AM due to sun/wind.    

October 25: TPC Las Vegas, Angel Park Mountain

weather was considerably better (low/mid 70s).   Breakfast burrito, easy enough.  TPC was in good shape, don't recall anything being exceptionally memorable, but some fun holes and elevation around a seemingly manmade canyon between housing.

ate before we left, was fine, no better or worse than the others so far really.

APM is ~5 min away so it was a quick commute for the afternoon.   APM is considerably more 'local' or public feeling.  nothing wrong with that.   was a fun round with similar scenarios to TPC (in my head/memory, it was > a month ago), but with more random chip bags and other litter around.  Course seemed tighter or players more offline with more stacking but the weather was pretty ideal (low/mid 70s).  some fun holes, fairly buzzed by the end and fighting for daylight so...

October 26: Cascata

weather was perfect, same as the day before.  breakfast was good, place felt alive but not busy (versus empty), by design.  saw some wildlife on a few holes.  drank some shots with the forecaddy.  played worse than i wanted.  a lot more elevation in play here up or down on a number of holes. 

overall, paiute was nice since it was kinda easy once you're there if you're going to do 36.  it is a bit away but not outrageous.   Cascata was nice, but for the money it gets interesting.   APM may be the value play of it all.  regardless i'd do it all over again (maybe adjust Rio if this close to seeding times).

I am headed out to the double down at Rio Secco and Cascata about a month from now, looking forward to it as I've played Rio Secco once before but not Cascata.

Never actually played with a caddie before, how was that part of the experience at Cascata? Anything else pros/cons you thought about the place?

Thanks in advance!

On 12/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, dfw Ag said:

I am headed out to the double down at Rio Secco and Cascata about a month from now, looking forward to it as I've played Rio Secco once before but not Cascata.

Never actually played with a caddie before, how was that part of the experience at Cascata? Anything else pros/cons you thought about the place?

Thanks in advance!

Would I rather not have the caddie?  probably, but that's just me.  Our guy helped identify aim points and greens, etc.  Tbh, i don't think it was something our group couldn't have sorted on our own (e.g. I play around a lot/different tracks, so navigating unfamiliar courses is common).   On the green reading, I'm not sure how helpful that was for me as the greens, were greens (its golf, everyone has their own process etc etc;  read:  I didn't make anything that I may not have without them, but some lines seemed not right to me so I can blame him otherwise haha).  With that said, it was helpful overall, and a nice touch.   Our caddie was cool, we did a number of shots/drinks together, (but it) almost seems rude not to.

I would get there with time to warm up, eat, not rush (im notorious for arriving with 27 seconds to spare) and they do a good job gapping the times to not really ever see anyone (though our group was held up a tiny bit by the ones in front for a few holes - they remediated that).   There's a lot of elevation into play up the mountain/down the mountain so just factor that in.  overall it's a fun track, not too gimmicky, in great condition and worth doing at least once.   The double down makes it easier

Have fun, I'd rather be there than looking at snow like I am now

• Like 1

Trying to finalize a 36 round in Vegas in early Feb.  Already booked Bear’s Best for the first day but trying to finalize the second day for 36.  Sunset is at 5:10 so might be a stretch…  Stack rank these :

Reflection Bay

Rio Secco 

Revere ( Lexington & Concord ) 

TPC Vegas 

Chimera 

( any I’m missing ?) 

Pauite seems too far to drive after a night of drinking and gambling to tee off at 8:15??

12 hours ago, Whisspy said:

Trying to finalize a 36 round in Vegas in early Feb.  Already booked Bear’s Best for the first day but trying to finalize the second day for 36.  Sunset is at 5:10 so might be a stretch…  Stack rank these :

Reflection Bay

Rio Secco 

Revere ( Lexington & Concord ) 

TPC Vegas 

Chimera 

( any I’m missing ?) 

Pauite seems too far to drive after a night of drinking and gambling to tee off at 8:15??

On Paiute - not really - it is a straight shot from the strip.  It is probably 10 minutes more to get to Paiute as it takes to get to Rio Secco or some of the other courses.

Of your list I would go:

1. RB - but check on conditions, if it is in good shape, it is #1.  Note, this will be farther than Paiute.
  2. TPC Vegas
  3. Rio Secco
  4. Angel Park
  5. Chimera
  6. Revere

Missing:  Wynn, LV National

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, puttnforthe8 said:

On Paiute - not really - it is a straight shot from the strip.  It is probably 10 minutes more to get to Paiute as it takes to get to Rio Secco or some of the other courses.

Of your list I would go:

1. RB - but check on conditions, if it is in good shape, it is #1.  Note, this will be farther than Paiute.
  2. TPC Vegas
  3. Rio Secco
  4. Angel Park
  5. Chimera
  6. Revere

Missing:  Wynn, LV National

Bears Best vs TPC Las Vegas ?  10-20 handicaps

On 1/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, makersmark4 said:

Sorry to be so late on this, but I loved it. Course was in great shape despite 109 degree temps. I thought there were a lot of different ways to play it depending on your level of risk/reward. And every member of the staff that I interacted with was top notch.

9 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Bears Best will be better for the 15-20s;  TPC has cliffs, fariways that end and some carries that provide some challenges.   Not horrid though.

I guess the real question is.... what courses are in the best condition right now? 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, paralyzed said:

Post-trip notes if anyone cares (or for the future me when i forget):

Dear Diary,

October 23: Rio Secco (double down deal with Cascata)

Facility was nice, course was EMPTY, houses that lined the course even EMPTIER (but $$$), clubhouse was mostly empty other than some guys with a toilet shaped cake or something like that.   Greens were fuzzy, but the rest of the conditions were decent.   IMO they could have waited a bit before opening back up but it was a nice round and a seemingly empty course.   (apparently sunday afternoons/evenings people wont be at the clubhouse as it's not open for dining etc).  Food was solid, round drinks were pricy (relative to others)

October 24: Paiute Wolf morning, Snow afternoon - golfapalooza

Windy, a bit cold/brisk, did i mention windy?   breakfast sandwich on the go, solid.  Courses were in great shape and greens were fantastic.  Wind moved putts considerably and was hard to adapt initially from the Rio greens.  Wolf was cool overall and a fun round with grasshoppers EVERYWHERE.  like starship troopers, without the denise richards part, walking/driving the cart, etc. 

Ate at the break, and the food was solid, got a voucher for lunch and a beverage but timing was tight due to schedule (sunlight)

Afternoon: Snow was good, similar to Wolf, but weather was much calmer, warmer/less windy/etc.  i feel like temps were in the low 60s but felt much worse in the AM due to sun/wind.    

October 25: TPC Las Vegas, Angel Park Mountain

weather was considerably better (low/mid 70s).   Breakfast burrito, easy enough.  TPC was in good shape, don't recall anything being exceptionally memorable, but some fun holes and elevation around a seemingly manmade canyon between housing.

ate before we left, was fine, no better or worse than the others so far really.

APM is ~5 min away so it was a quick commute for the afternoon.   APM is considerably more 'local' or public feeling.  nothing wrong with that.   was a fun round with similar scenarios to TPC (in my head/memory, it was > a month ago), but with more random chip bags and other litter around.  Course seemed tighter or players more offline with more stacking but the weather was pretty ideal (low/mid 70s).  some fun holes, fairly buzzed by the end and fighting for daylight so...

October 26: Cascata

weather was perfect, same as the day before.  breakfast was good, place felt alive but not busy (versus empty), by design.  saw some wildlife on a few holes.  drank some shots with the forecaddy.  played worse than i wanted.  a lot more elevation in play here up or down on a number of holes. 

overall, paiute was nice since it was kinda easy once you're there if you're going to do 36.  it is a bit away but not outrageous.   Cascata was nice, but for the money it gets interesting.   APM may be the value play of it all.  regardless i'd do it all over again (maybe adjust Rio if this close to seeding times).

Thanks!  Where did you stay? 

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

37 minutes ago, Wardman said:

Thanks!  Where did you stay? 

We got an airbnb NW of the strip kinda by angel park and summerlin.   We knew where that was prior which may have had a factor in the planning for logistical reasons.   There were moments where being on-strip would have been fun but realistically that could have risked those early morning tee times haha.  (was an easy uber to the strip as well)

4 minutes ago, paralyzed said:

We got an airbnb NW of the strip kinda by angel park and summerlin.   We knew where that was prior which may have had a factor in the planning for logistical reasons.   There were moments where being on-strip would have been fun but realistically that could have risked those early morning tee times haha.  (was an easy uber to the strip as well)

agree with that!  We're looking at Revere and Rio Secco and possible hotel down there

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

11 hours ago, Whisspy said:

Would you recommend Angel Park Mountain at noon & Cloud 9 after sunset ? Seems easy to get to and night golf seems fun if you’re drinking ….

11 hours ago, SummerlinGolf said:

That sounds like a good plan, but we do get pretty chilly as soon as the sun goes down this time of year.

Our group is doing the same thing at the end of February. I'll have to remind the boys to bring pants... 

Played Bear's Best and Reflection Bay this past October and loved them both.  Also *attempted to play Paiute but it was so windy we only made it to hole 13-ish...  And by windy I mean the ball wouldn't even stay on the tee.  Of note, and I don't know if it's every season or it just happened to be while we were there but every course had swarms of grasshoppers on them.  Again, not sure if they were just migrating or whatever, but they were out in Biblical proportions ie. all over the greens, being blown into our shirts, faces, etc.. when the wind picked up.  Still a fun time though.

• 2 weeks later...