2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Johnny Miller must not like him

beachgrovejunior

Miller said to Tiger..."I like the cut shot when you tee the ball down and follow through close to your body instead of out and around".... then Tiger kind of interrupts and says, "yeah, that's when I hit a cut, the out and around is for a draw"... which is kind of agreeing with Miller in a backhanded way. Miller just kind of went..Uh huh..Uh huh because Tiger gave him nothing to respond to.

Tiger hates it when anyone analyzes his swing...even though Miller nails it.. just like Faldo did when Tiger shanked a 3 iron a couple of years ago... hey Tiger, Faldo was right, you shanked it..oops! now Tiger won't talk to me either until I apologize.

Look, I like Tiger because he's not a country club kid like most of his competition...and I understand he's out to tear heads off and stomp on hearts...but sometimes he needs to lighten up. Someday, someone will give Tiger a dose of his own medicine, unless he quits before his skills inevitably erode...or maybe Tiger's just dishing out what his father gave to him for years.

Actually, Tiger is not unique in not liking to have his swing analyzed. I also thought Tiger was disagreeing with Miller, not agreeing with him.

And I am curious, what, exactly, did Tiger's father dish out?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite diatribe of the day was the the one on how 18 holes is enogh to determine who the best player is and the networks should discard the 36 holes in one day format. Dude, shut up. Just because you don't want to work 36 holes doesn't mean we don't enjoy watching 36 holes.

he is absolutely correct about the 36 holes. It's a pretty risky situation that will probably go away shortly. 18 holes is plenty. I'm sure the advertisers who paid good money to have their ads played during the last hour and a half of the broadcast were real happy that there was no golf being played. Your comment about him not wanting to work 36 holes is ridiculous since the 2 halves are on different networks.

Johnny Miller is the best golf analyst hands down... no one knows the swing like he does, or the mental aspect of the game...and no one has the guts he has... Faldo comes close, but Miller can tell where the ball is going just by the sound of it off the clubface. Is he arrogant?? Of course. All the great ones are. Is Tiger arrogant? Jack?

The fact that the players don't like him gives Miller even more credibility. Most of them are babies who can't take criticism and are more than happy to finish top 25 and make a nice check. Miller was a champion and still is. So what if he can't putt or play much anymore. In his prime he was amazing and he still knows and comments on the game like no other. You' d miss him if he quit.

Dead on.Especially about the players.

Man after the whole ryder cup thing a while back saying that justin leonard should go home and watch it on TV, did anyone hear what he just said?

Stenson drains a putt and Johnny Miller says something like "Justin should just get in his car and go home"

I wonder if he will get any heat for that

Johnny has never met another professional golfer that he has liked! He may deny this but I would bet that all these comments have some subconscious ire in them.

Johnny feels that he is the BEST player to ever walk the earth and that he would have been the next Jack Nicklaus if he could have just putted that well for his entire career!

Give me a break! NBC needs a new "talent" in the 18th tower!!!

His comments to Tiger were almost laughable! (Tigers comments back to him about his swing comments were CLASSIC!!! :D)

That was the best Shell's episode ever. NBC should put it Johhny's contract that he can't speak when someone is on the green after that display of putting. Every back stroke was about an inch long no matter how far the putt was. He has the gaul to say a twenty-five footer is "simple" when he misses one footers with ease.

If networks were only to employ announcers who could still play, guess what, there wouldn't be any announcers. If they could still play, they wouldn't be announcing.

yes johnny miller is a bit pompous and arrogant, but i quite enjoy his announcing...its never dull and he is never hesitant to critique...he calls it like it is and i respect that...i also think that most of his comments are spot and and i agree that tour players, tiger included, dislike johnny not kissing their butts like every other announcer on tv. charles howell III commented taht johnny was very critical on air of his short game and feel and he said he cant say anything because johnny was 100% right...other players have a tough time admitting that...as for the tiger comments today and tiger correcting him with johnny analysis of his swing, johnny was right and tiger did backhandedly acknowledge that in a way that looked like he was correcting him...and for the comments he made about tiger being late and his 3 woods still hitting the fairway, he is absolutely correct...tigers swings were late and frequently are but hes so athletic that hes able to save them and they still find the very right side of the fairway (not the case on his driver). people hate johnny miller for the same reasons i love him because he isnt afraid to speak his mind...i know hes not the smartest guy in the world and may not be right all the time, but he brings an analytical and critical view to the game and i love hearing what this past champion has to say...it never gets old for me...and by the way his comment on craig parrys swing was hilarious

Instead of bashing JL, JM should have been PRAISING how well he played this week just to make it to consolation match!

Did anyone expect JL to make it past the 1st or 2nd round, I would think not. Justin is keeping his game at a high at a time when I for one thought it had fallen off the map!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Johnny Miller bashing seems to be a passtime on this forum. The funny part is announcer bashing has been around forever they bashed Byron Nelson and Venturi Trevino Colbert. Johnny has been around the longest and gets bashed the most.

Personally I am not offended by it I just think its funny.

Two comments bother me one that the players don't like him. Let me say that I am sure some do not but to say it like it is proven a majority of them don't is just not fair.

The others are comments about his game or people remembering who he was

Professional wins (31)

[edit] PGA Tour wins (25)

1971 (1) Southern Open Invitational

1972 (1) Sea Pines Heritage Classic

1973 (1) U.S. Open

1974 (8) Bing Crosby National Pro-Am, Phoenix Open, Dean Martin Tucson Open, Sea Pines Heritage Classic, Tournament of Champions, Westchester Classic, World Open Golf Championship, Kaiser International Open Invitational

1975 (4) Phoenix Open, Dean Martin Tucson Open, Bob Hope Desert Classic, Kaiser International Open Invitational

1976 (3) NBC Tucson Open, Bob Hope Desert Classic, British Open

1980 (1) Jackie Gleason-Inverrary Classic

1981 (2) Joe Garagiola-Tucson Open, Glen Campbell-Los Angeles Open

1982 (1) Wickes-Andy Williams San Diego Open

1983 (1) Honda Inverrary Classic

1987 (1) AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am

1994 (1) AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am

Major championships are shown in bold.

[edit] Other wins (6)

This list may be incomplete.

1973 Trophée Lancôme (France, not a European Tour event), World Cup (team title with Jack Nicklaus and individual)

1974 Dunlop Phoenix (Japan Golf Tour)

1979 Trophée Lancôme (European Tour)

1981 Million Dollar Challenge (South Africa - unofficial event)

1983 Chrysler Team Championship (with Jack Nicklaus)

[edit] Major Championships

[edit] Wins (2)

Year Championship Winning Score Margin Runner(s) Up

1973 U.S. Open -5 (71-69-76-63=279) 1 stroke John Schlee

1976 The Open Championship -9 (72-68-73-66=279) 6 strokes Seve Ballesteros, Jack Nicklaus

This is from a man that lost it with a putter period . He won at Pebble in 94 with the yips

Truly one of the best ball strikers ever and fellows when Johnny went low he went deep.

Now hating him is alright but at least do it with some respect for the great player he was.

Miller said to Tiger..."I like the cut shot when you tee the ball down and follow through close to your body instead of out and around".... then Tiger kind of interrupts and says, "yeah, that's when I hit a cut, the out and around is for a draw"... which is kind of agreeing with Miller in a backhanded way. Miller just kind of went..Uh huh..Uh huh because Tiger gave him nothing to respond to.

Tiger hates it when anyone analyzes his swing...even though Miller nails it.. just like Faldo did when Tiger shanked a 3 iron a couple of years ago... hey Tiger, Faldo was right, you shanked it..oops! now Tiger won't talk to me either until I apologize.

Look, I like Tiger because he's not a country club kid like most of his competition...and I understand he's out to tear heads off and stomp on hearts...but sometimes he needs to lighten up. Someday, someone will give Tiger a dose of his own medicine, unless he quits before his skills inevitably erode...or maybe Tiger's just dishing out what his father gave to him for years.

Actually, Tiger is not unique in not liking to have his swing analyzed. I also thought Tiger was disagreeing with Miller, not agreeing with him.

And I am curious, what, exactly, did Tiger's father dish out?

From what I've read, Tiger's father was instrumental in developing Tiger's competitive nature - they played alot of golf together as Tiger grew up. He did this by example...talking smack, gamesmanship like rattling change in his pocket while Tiger was putting..taking enjoyment in beating him while he still could (when Tiger was younger)...etc. Essentially he taught Tiger the take no prisoners attitude by example...that's all I meant.

Man after the whole ryder cup thing a while back saying that justin leonard should go home and watch it on TV, did anyone hear what he just said?

Stenson drains a putt and Johnny Miller says something like "Justin should just get in his car and go home"

Johnny has never met another professional golfer that he has liked! He may deny this but I would bet that all these comments have some subconscious ire in them.

Johnny feels that he is the BEST player to ever walk the earth and that he would have been the next Jack Nicklaus if he could have just putted that well for his entire career!

His comments to Tiger were almost laughable! (Tigers comments back to him about his swing comments were CLASSIC!!! :D )

I have heard Johnny say on more than one occasion that he may have been the best player in the world for a short period of time, which he was. But he absolutly does not feel he is the best player to ever walk the earth. If anything he admits that he didnt have what it takes, family, self confidence, putting, desire, to overtake Nicklaus for a long period of time. I really don't understand why people are such Miller haters, if you really listen to him he lacks a lot of self confidence, he does like to remind you that at one time he was one of the best, which gives him some street cred. but he has been there and is speaking from experience. The tour players hate him becasue he is critical, and they dont like to be criticized, much better than all the other guys sucking up and not using the C-word even when they should. I like him because he does not sugar coat things and calls it as he sees it, even if you dont agree with how he sees it.

I like Feherty becasue he is funny, Nance because he is eloquant, Alliss because of his classic style, but Miller is honest, insightful, and yes irritating on occasion. I think he makes for good TV though. JMO.

As far as his comments about Tigers swing in the tower.....Tiger needs to pull his head out of his arse regarding his draw swing, it sucks. Miller was right Tiger can only control his driver with the cut fade swing, if he tries to hit a draw he snap hooks and pushes unless he times it perfectly, Tiger is very defensive about this kind of thing, but until he learns to control his driver it will always be the weak part of his game.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Ewen Murray, who voices the Sky Sports coverage in the UK/Europe of the WGC events is of the same mind. So am I if it means anything. He points out constantly how Woods' cut swing is much more consistent and effective than when he tries to work the ball the other way.

In Murray's case I find his commentary excellent. He strikes a happy medium between obvious awe (understandable in the case of Woods) and well-structured and reasoned criticism where it's due. He also is very knowledgeable; and, although he wasn't the player that Miller was he was a decent player in his time, is knowledgable about all things golf-related and is a noted swing coach in the UK. He manages to be objective and provide informative commentary without the acerbic twist of Miller and is well-regarded by most european pros.

It interests me why TW is so defensive about anything related to his swing mechanics. I'm no world-class teacher but even I can see that his 'draw swing' has some glaring faults in it, particularly when it involves the driver.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Several comments on this board reference the Pro's hate Miller can anyone provide anything that would prove that.

Frankly although I am sure he has some guys that do not care for him I am sure even more like and respect him . Of course I am just stating my opinion having met Miller and seen him in interaction with other pros he is a very nice man. Then again its still just my opinion .

So what are the pro's hate miller comments based on .

Several comments on this board reference the Pro's hate Miller can anyone provide anything that would prove that.

Frankly although I am sure he has some guys that do not care for him I am sure even more like and respect him . Of course I am just stating my opinion having met Miller and seen him in interaction with other pros he is a very nice man. Then again its still just my opinion .

The one that immediately comes to mind is Miller's comment at the 2006 Ryder cup when he referred to the U.S. team as "the worst we've ever fielded."

The one that immediately comes to mind is Miller's comment at the 2006 Ryder cup when he referred to the U.S. team as "the worst we've ever fielded."

I am talking about something referencing that the tour players do as a group do not like him you know a majority and something provable.

As for the 06 team he may have been right

I am talking about something referencing that the tour players do as a group do not like him you know a majority and something provable.

http://www.rydercup.com/2006/usa/news/dima...view091906.html

Q. Has there been any reading material, bulletin board material posted in your team room?

CHRIS DiMARCO: Yeah, unfortunately from Johnny Miller and some of our own sports writers (laughter). It's not from the Europeans, it's from the Americans.

Q. What has it done for you?

CHRIS DiMARCO: Again, we don't need any motivation. There's nothing it's not you know, in football, you need it because it's one game against somebody. And here, it's three days, there's five different sets of matches. There's 28 matches. So it has you don't really need that.

Like I said, every one of their players I respect, and I would hope and think that every one of their players respect us, too. It's about just trying to beat who you're playing that day.

Q. Did you agree with anything Johnny wrote?

CHRIS DiMARCO: I never agree with anything Johnny writes or says, so it doesn't matter (laughter).

GORDON SIMPSON: Okay, Chris, you just stick to the nice British and European sports writers.

CHRIS DiMARCO: Exactly. Thanks.

http://www.rydercup.com/2006/usa/news/dima...view091906.html

Q. Has there been any reading material, bulletin board material posted in your team room?

CHRIS DiMARCO: Yeah, unfortunately from Johnny Miller and some of our own sports writers (laughter). It's not from the Europeans, it's from the Americans.

Q. What has it done for you?

CHRIS DiMARCO: Again, we don't need any motivation. There's nothing it's not you know, in football, you need it because it's one game against somebody. And here, it's three days, there's five different sets of matches. There's 28 matches. So it has you don't really need that.

Like I said, every one of their players I respect, and I would hope and think that every one of their players respect us, too. It's about just trying to beat who you're playing that day.

Q. Did you agree with anything Johnny wrote?

CHRIS DiMARCO: I never agree with anything Johnny writes or says, so it doesn't matter (laughter).

GORDON SIMPSON: Okay, Chris, you just stick to the nice British and European sports writers.

CHRIS DiMARCO: Exactly. Thanks.

This is what's so great about the players who hate Miller...they're exactly what he (Miller) says they are...a bunch of chokers who never won anything..What's Dimarco done...lost in a playoff at the Masters and PGA...made a putt for the pres cup...not that they would have lost if he missed...The point is he's made a fortune for an average player who's short off the tee, hits a nice little cut with his irons, get the occasional hot putter...but never wins anything of substance..

Chris said he did not pay any attention to Johnny he did not say he did not like or respect him.

You quoted me one player show me something conclusive that proves that the majority of the tour players dislike and disrespect Johnny Miller?

Well, since I suspect that nothing I present to you is going to change your opinion, how about you show me something conclusive that proves that the majority of the tour players do not dislike and disrespect Johnny Miller?

Last post hit the nail on the head, Miller is a great announcer. So what if he says things that you or the players dont like. This guy was a major champion with one of the most beautiful swings ever and has countless years of experience announcing. I think he knows what he is doing, when he said Tiger was quick through the ball that is because he was, Tiger does it all the time.

This happens a lot, people dont fully understand something so they hate it. Take for example when people posted saying that Tom Wishon was wrong about his knowledge of golf equipment, only cause they didnt have the whole story. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Well, Tom came on the site and fully explained everything shutting down all accusations. The point is don't go bashing someone until you know the whole story. It is not cool

but the problem is tiger hits many different shots and is constantly changing his swing during a round. miller see's something and thinks tiger is off when really he's changed just a little for whatever shot he is going to hit. And miller has to be all high and mighty about it but the problem is he spouts off and is wrong........all day. I know the whole story, been reading the book for years, wish it would end

;)

He's wrong ALL DAY LONG ?!?!?! :D

C'mon now - ya suppose it could be that YOU only "tune in" when Miller's wrong/mistaken ?

C'mon now - that's the truth,,,,,,,,

Admit it,,,,,,, he's right once or twice a day, right ?

You'll feel better,,,,,,,

Right ?

;)

Yeah ! NBC ! A multi-billion dollar corporation around since before TV was invented. What the hell do THEY know ??? :D ;) :clapping: :clapping:

His comments to Tiger were almost laughable! (Tigers comments back to him about his swing comments were CLASSIC!!! :clapping: )

Really ? And what was laughable/"classic" again ? The fact that Tiger confirmed what Johnny said ? :lol: ;) :lol:

I'm particularly annoyed by him calling a 3-wood a "3-metal". Yes Johnny, it's made of metal, but s*** man, just call it a 3-wood like the rest of the world.

A bit like calling a hole a 'five par' or a 'three par...'

The screen of my TV is in danger whenever he does that...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I can't and thats exactly my point. I can say in my opinion he is respected and gets along well with the tour players.

But the statements made were as if it was a fact that all tour players or the majority could not stand him.

Now I will give you this if you said the majority of players in your opinion did not pay attention to what Johnny had to say while he was in the booth I would probably agree with you but that does not mean the majority dislike or dare disrespect him.

Johnny calls it as he sees it but just the same in my opinon he has a reputation of being a perfect gentleman.

I think the problem with his announcing is the fact that he used to be one of the best players at a time. A lot of what he says either comes out as painfully simple, almost demeaning, or extremely complicated. David Feherety and Gary McCord have a way of relating golf to the average fan, regardless if you like them or not, and they aren't exactly poor golfers. Shoot I'd say Nick Faldo may be one of the best EVER in the announcing booth because he GETS THE FACT that 99.99999% of golfers can't pull off the shots we see on tv. I can swallow a pill better when one of those announcers states that Dimarco has a lot of fight (even though he didnt win the Masters) rather than someone like Miller calling him a choker. I'm sorry Johnny I haven't won any majors so I see it more of gutsy than a choker.

I think you just have to realize the lens that the talk is coming from when coming out of Miller.

I'm particularly annoyed by him calling a 3-wood a "3-metal". Yes Johnny, it's made of metal, but s*** man, just call it a 3-wood like the rest of the world.

A bit like calling a hole a 'five par' or a 'three par...'

The screen of my TV is in danger whenever he does that...

I concur......the 3 metal thing kills me, by the way many irons are made of steel, so call them steels, if a driver is titanium call it a "titanium composite alloy" not a wood, and I really hate it when the Taylor Made endorsee's call a hybrid a rescue. I have never met a single person in my entire life, except those who talk about golf for a living, that calls a fairway wood a metal. Also calling a hump in the green a hogsback is almost as annoying, but I will cut him slack on this being that naming things after animals in golf has been going on for years.

Eagle

Birdie

hogsback

frogs hair

dog leg

albatross

Tiger

But I think he is the only person in the world who says this.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly