2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Johnny Miller must not like him

beachgrovejunior

Man after the whole ryder cup thing a while back saying that justin leonard should go home and watch it on TV, did anyone hear what he just said?

Stenson drains a putt and Johnny Miller says something like "Justin should just get in his car and go home"

I wonder if he will get any heat for that

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always take anything Johnny Miller says with a lorryload of salt.

After his Craig Parry swing comments (coming from a man who, even in his low 60s shooting heyday looked like he was hitting every iron shot off an ants' nest) I think he lost a lot of cred in a lot of eyes.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Man after the whole ryder cup thing a while back saying that justin leonard should go home and watch it on TV, did anyone hear what he just said?

Stenson drains a putt and Johnny Miller says something like "Justin should just get in his car and go home"

Why should he? It was totally in context of the proceeding, in which Stenson won the first 3 holes. The comment was made after Stenson drained the 3rd putt.

Why should he? It was totally in context of the proceeding, in which Stenson won the first 3 holes. The comment was made after Stenson drained the 3rd putt.

Ummm, because it's demeaning to the player and Miller has a history of saying something similar about the same player. Miller was essentially saying "Leonard isn't a good enough player to come back and he doesn't deserve to even be here, so he should just give up."

Will he take heat? No. The players don't respect him anyway.

Ummm, because it's demeaning to the player and Miller has a history of saying something similar about the same player. Miller was essentially saying "Leonard isn't a good enough player to come back and he doesn't deserve to even be here, so he should just give up."

Man, you guys are too sensitive. Talking about how great Stenson is putting isn't demeaning to Leonard. BTW, Stenson is 4 up through 7 with 4 birds, clearly rolling the rock well, and Johnny just said "Nice show Justin" for his tee shot on 8.

Man, you guys are too sensitive. Talking about how great Stenson is putting isn't demeaning to Leonard. BTW, Stenson is 4 up through 7 with 4 birds, clearly rolling the rock well, and Johnny just said "Nice show Justin" for his tee shot on 8.

Well, I'm watching the program delayed, so I haven't seen the comment yet. I was just going on the OP's description. I'll let you know if I have the same opinion after hearing the comment in context.

nah not sensative just sick of him. just the sound of his voice makes me angry...he's always wrong too, talking about how cink keeps lipping putts, he's been close but only lipped one not 4. keeps saying tigers late on his swing but the ball ends up in the fairway! I think i'll rewatch the shells wonderfull world of golf where jack wipes the floor with him. worst announcer ever

nah not sensative just sick of him. just the sound of his voice makes me angry...he's always wrong too, talking about how cink keeps lipping putts, he's been close but only lipped one not 4. keeps saying tigers late on his swing but the ball ends up in the fairway! I think i'll rewatch the shells wonderfull world of golf where jack wipes the floor with him. worst announcer ever

ooooo, now I wouldn't go that far.

Lanny%20Wadkins.jpg

That was the best Shell's episode ever. NBC should put it Johhny's contract that he can't speak when someone is on the green after that display of putting. Every back stroke was about an inch long no matter how far the putt was. He has the gaul to say a twenty-five footer is "simple" when he misses one footers with ease. I basically don't like his smug delivery where his voice inflection says "I'm Johnny Miller don't question me." I would love a three man booth with someone to challenge his observations.

My favorite diatribe of the day was the the one on how 18 holes is enogh to determine who the best player is and the networks should discard the 36 holes in one day format. Dude, shut up. Just because you don't want to work 36 holes doesn't mean we don't enjoy watching 36 holes.

ooo, ooo . . . then there was the comment about the science of the lip-out and one day when science can read minds (I was blocking him out, but I think that's what it was) . . . and all the other announcers started laughing and Miller kept saying "don't laugh . . . don't laugh."

jMiller299x433.jpgjMiller299x433.jpg

jMiller299x433.jpg

jMiller299x433.jpg

Too much criticism against Johnny folks. Sure he sounds like an underappreciated scholar....a jeffmann type, but what he does is fine.

If all of us never knew Craig Parry and happened to see his swing the swing forum here on this site, most of us would say that he had an over-the-top 15 handicap type problem, as Johnny did.

Think about it.

Angel Cabrera. Crosses the line at the top. Loosey goosey type swing. If he were an unknown, and uploaded his swing on this site, most of us would say that he needed to stop crossing the line...and to tighten up his swing.

You can say the same with Tiger formerly crossing the line, and his slinging driver swing, Phil's release, Ernie's little hitch, Justin Rose being very upright, You could go through and pick out a few things with every player, no one is perfect, best example is furyk, ugly swing but he could beat anyone on this board no doubt.

Btw Cabrera's swing is great, releases left hard and just lets loose.

You can say the same with Tiger formerly crossing the line, and his slinging driver swing, Phil's release, Ernie's little hitch, Justin Rose being very upright, You could go through and pick out a few things with every player, no one is perfect, best example is furyk, ugly swing but he could beat anyone on this board no doubt.

Btw Cabrera's swing is great, releases left hard and just lets loose.

And I'm sure that Johnny would say something about each of those golfers, if the opportunity presented itself.

Johnny Miller is the best golf analyst hands down... no one knows the swing like he does, or the mental aspect of the game...and no one has the guts he has... Faldo comes close, but Miller can tell where the ball is going just by the sound of it off the clubface. Is he arrogant?? Of course. All the great ones are. Is Tiger arrogant? Jack?

The fact that the players don't like him gives Miller even more credibility. Most of them are babies who can't take criticism and are more than happy to finish top 25 and make a nice check. Miller was a champion and still is. So what if he can't putt or play much anymore. In his prime he was amazing and he still knows and comments on the game like no other. You' d miss him if he quit.

You' d miss him if he quit.

I wouldn't.

Honestly; I wouldn't...

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Johnny Miller is the best golf analyst hands down... no one knows the swing like he does, or the mental aspect of the game...and no one has the guts he has... Faldo comes close, but Miller can tell where the ball is going just by the sound of it off the clubface. Is he arrogant?? Of course. All the great ones are. Is Tiger arrogant? Jack?

The fact that the players don't like him gives Miller even more credibility. Most of them are babies who can't take criticism and are more than happy to finish top 25 and make a nice check. Miller was a champion and still is. So what if he can't putt or play much anymore. In his prime he was amazing and he still knows and comments on the game like no other. You' d miss him if he quit.

More like everything was great till he came back. And he was wrong all day, many times he said a ball would be in trouble and ended up in the fairway. Pretty much the only thing he was right about was when he said justin might play a shot off the cart path, (and that ended up being a mistake)

Last post hit the nail on the head, Miller is a great announcer. So what if he says things that you or the players dont like. This guy was a major champion with one of the most beautiful swings ever and has countless years of experience announcing. I think he knows what he is doing, when he said Tiger was quick through the ball that is because he was, Tiger does it all the time.

This happens a lot, people dont fully understand something so they hate it. Take for example when people posted saying that Tom Wishon was wrong about his knowledge of golf equipment, only cause they didnt have the whole story. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Well, Tom came on the site and fully explained everything shutting down all accusations. The point is don't go bashing someone until you know the whole story. It is not cool

I don't like Miller as a commentator.

It's not because I don't fully understand him, nor is it because I don't respect his record as a player.

It's because he has an acerbic personality on-air, a soporific voice, and he is frequently wrong in what he says. In any case, the thought of him commentating physically turns me off the thought of watching golf coverage if I know he is in the studio.

After many years of watching golf and listening to Miller's commentating I'd say I know the whole story and I don't like it much.

the guys an a** he was on about how great he was damn nost people havent even heard of him

son, you need to rethink that comment ... should have come out "many children (such as myself) haven't even heard of him". every adult who knows anything about golf knows who johnny is and what he did/didn't do in the game.

sure is isn't tiger, but not many can match the ability he had. many (who saw him in action) think he is the greatest iron player ever, albeit for a fairly short period of time. he's out there to stir the sh-- a bit ... and yes, he says some ridiculous things ... and yes, he never putted well and then completely lost it ... and, he knows that and admits it ... had he been a great putter like tiger, his record would be incredible.

sure he has a lot of ego. you were twenty-nine years from being born when miller played the greatest round in major championship history. surely you're heard about that one.

you should cut the man some slack. he makes it interesting. only announcer (faldo is so-so) who is even remotely watchable imo.

Miller=great announcer, but a horribly petty, insecure, and bitter man. I love how intimidated he was in the booth with Tiger today...he just could NOT make eye contact. classic.

Last post hit the nail on the head, Miller is a great announcer. So what if he says things that you or the players dont like. This guy was a major champion with one of the most beautiful swings ever and has countless years of experience announcing. I think he knows what he is doing, when he said Tiger was quick through the ball that is because he was, Tiger does it all the time.

This happens a lot, people dont fully understand something so they hate it. Take for example when people posted saying that Tom Wishon was wrong about his knowledge of golf equipment, only cause they didnt have the whole story. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Well, Tom came on the site and fully explained everything shutting down all accusations. The point is don't go bashing someone until you know the whole story. It is not cool

but the problem is tiger hits many different shots and is constantly changing his swing during a round. miller see's something and thinks tiger is off when really he's changed just a little for whatever shot he is going to hit. And miller has to be all high and mighty about it but the problem is he spouts off and is wrong........all day. I know the whole story, been reading the book for years, wish it would end

Miller said to Tiger..."I like the cut shot when you tee the ball down and follow through close to your body instead of out and around".... then Tiger kind of interrupts and says, "yeah, that's when I hit a cut, the out and around is for a draw"... which is kind of agreeing with Miller in a backhanded way. Miller just kind of went..Uh huh..Uh huh because Tiger gave him nothing to respond to.

Tiger hates it when anyone analyzes his swing...even though Miller nails it.. just like Faldo did when Tiger shanked a 3 iron a couple of years ago... hey Tiger, Faldo was right, you shanked it..oops! now Tiger won't talk to me either until I apologize.

Look, I like Tiger because he's not a country club kid like most of his competition...and I understand he's out to tear heads off and stomp on hearts...but sometimes he needs to lighten up. Someday, someone will give Tiger a dose of his own medicine, unless he quits before his skills inevitably erode...or maybe Tiger's just dishing out what his father gave to him for years.

Gottta agree with all that you said- is as well versed when it comes to the game of golf as anyone and can deliver all that info to the tv screen like no other. Sad but true when it comes to some these guys on tour- insanely sensitive and overpaid . Look, he calls it like it is and I find that refreshing. Three hours of coverage from other announcers and most of them are there to stroke egos- BRUTAL!!

Just no one out there now to fill fill the booth and yes, I think we would miss him. Anybody enjoy Chris Berman during US Open Week? Didnt think so. Kelly Tilghman? Ian Baker-Finch?